Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I safety wired my coolant hose clamp out of paranoia, and then went for a ride down to Canyon Lake, TX via several country roads/back roads. Alas no wheelies, and highway roads really causing my rear tire to square off/get huge chicken strips. I have the BT003rs tires so I guess they are probably pretty darn soft, but I wouldn't have guessed that <1000 miles would do this. Oh well, time to sign up for a track day when one comes to TWS again.... and find a trailer.

Here's a pic from the Canyon Lake dam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did 180 or so miles on the drz today. No wheelies.

How...how is this possible?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I won't believe you didn't do any wheelies until I see video evidence.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did 180 or so miles on the drz today. No wheelies.

I did however corner it constantly at extralegal speeds, wouldn't want to lose ALL of my CA cred.

I mean, not to be a dick, but even tho n8r got probated for some reason no one actually showed any evidence of backing it in.

Don't get me wrong, I can't do it. But he was just calling out people in the thread who talk it up but then seem to have a lot of excuses when someone calls em out.

I don't have a sumo, that's my excuse.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Oh well, time to sign up for a track day when one comes to TWS again.... and find a trailer.

I can help with the trackday, at least in the price and gear dept.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If you do ridesmart they'll give you free leathers and boots for the day. It's also 50% off. They won't be back there until September though IIRC.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

nsaP posted:

Don't get me wrong, I can't do it. But he was just calling out people in the thread who talk it up but then seem to have a lot of excuses when someone calls em out.

I don't have a sumo, that's my excuse.

Was anyone talking up how awesome they are at backing it in?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Zool posted:

This is still going on? I'll take a video tonight, jeez.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaNChEzZ posted:

This is still going on? I'll take a video tonight, jeez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkRwAEgqR1o
~x*trackin' it in at 8:20 or so*x~

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zool posted:

This. There is a lot of talk about loving around and doing stairs and whatnot, but this isn't supermotojunkie, we don't all live to slide around endlessly on the street.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

:confused: should I buy a KTM 690 y/n :confused:

So I kept asking you guys these questions and something scary happened and now there is a demon-thing in the garage HELP :supaburn:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those exhausts are the best terrible idea KTM ever had.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Those exhausts are the best terrible idea KTM ever had.

They remind me of truck exhaust stacks. I think you should get a big naked trucker lady mudflap.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Zool posted:

They remind me of truck exhaust stacks. I think you should get a big naked trucker lady mudflap.

Not a bad idea but Yosemite Sam is the correct choice:

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

So I kept asking you guys these questions and something scary happened and now there is a demon-thing in the garage HELP :supaburn:

Awwww yiss. Man that is a clean bike, congrats man.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Veritas posted:

I can help with the trackday, at least in the price and gear dept.

My only riding gear is a two-piece set of A* leathers I got on clearance from Cycle Gear, some Sidis I bought on deep discount from New Enough, and some knockoff A* GP Pros. So, I look like a power ranger in the gear department. I'm curious about price stuff though.

JP Money posted:

If you do ridesmart they'll give you free leathers and boots for the day. It's also 50% off. They won't be back there until September though IIRC.

Yeah, since I haven't done a trackday with Ridesmart I'm aware of their 50% off deal, and I really want to do one. Waiting til September might not be so bad though. It's ridiculously hot, and I can definitely tell that I'm not 100% focused when I start to get hot and dehydrated.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

MetaJew posted:

My only riding gear is a two-piece set of A* leathers I got on clearance from Cycle Gear, some Sidis I bought on deep discount from New Enough, and some knockoff A* GP Pros. So, I look like a power ranger in the gear department. I'm curious about price stuff though.

Yeah, since I haven't done a trackday with Ridesmart I'm aware of their 50% off deal, and I really want to do one. Waiting til September might not be so bad though. It's ridiculously hot, and I can definitely tell that I'm not 100% focused when I start to get hot and dehydrated.

You can crash in the paddocks with someone who has a fan if that helps. TWS is somewhat nice because they at least have power in the paddocks. Some guys will bring generators to run their warmers so they don't trip the breakers so there's always plenty available in my experience. The meeting room is air conditioned which is where you'll be at for 90% of the time beweeen sessions on the track. They have giant coolers full of cold water and gatorade that you should drink a poo poo-ton of every session.

It's fun but make sure you're geared tall. My only complaint is that I wasn't able to pass on straights that much because they're so long and people in level 1 are sketchy sometimes about passing. I also destroyed a tube in my rear tire from what I suspect was getting it really hot on the track. I'd recommend bringing a spare if you can. There are other organizations like FastLine and Track Tactics Trackdays that put on days as well that might be there before September. If not, Ridesmart is going to MSRH soon which will probably be more fun for you on a sumo than TWS. If you can, look into doing the 1.3 at Cresson. I hear that is a ton of fun for smaller bikes.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've been to both TWS and MSRH with my brother when he has done track days. Right now we're mostly looking for a Kendon dual trailer.

It would probably be a good idea to buy some spare tubes. Are there people that can remount and balance stuff at these events?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I've been to both TWS and MSRH with my brother when he has done track days. Right now we're mostly looking for a Kendon dual trailer.

It would probably be a good idea to buy some spare tubes. Are there people that can remount and balance stuff at these events?

yes there are :)

i'll be at most of the Fastline events (i instruct for them). lemme know if you're attending one, i'll make sure to introduce myself, and borrow the team ex250 to come play with the sumos.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

As long as it's not a CMRA race weekend somewhere else there'll be tire service there. He sends a smaller amount of stuff in that case but there should still be someone there AFAIK.

Speaking of tires I wish more people raced sumos around here so I could get cheap takeoffs. It's hard to find 150's as ninjas are smaller and SV's run 160's. Thankfully they're cheaper than normal 180 sportbike tires and I can get 120's up front for cheap generally.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

As a fellow owner of an orange 690 SM I wholeheartedly approve of your decision.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
So I thought that backing it in only counted if you were sliding into a parking spot but now that I know it actually means breaking the rear wheel loose around turns, I'll go ahead and say that I back it in all the loving time.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Backing it in doesn't really just mean spinning up the tire while in a corner, it means that you intentionally brake the rear loose while breaking for the corner and point the bike at the apex while the rear is still sliding, and then gradually regain rear traction and power out of the corner. You have to braking pretty hard to do it properly. The rear loses traction not due to braking but due to going to a lower gear and overrevving the rear while feeding in clutch.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I was looking up video to illustrate it to ChewedFood, I found this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEG73UtODDc
Pretty rad shot.

And the classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUK6aOEJKo

Zool fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 26, 2013

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
oh hey, Dustin D. he still races CMRA occasionally. him and one of my buddies used to battle it up in the SV classes a few years ago.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Aargh posted:

As a fellow owner of an orange 690 SM I wholeheartedly approve of your decision.

:getin:

Also, I have my Sportster 883 listed on craigslist and some guy just offered a trade for his DRZ400. For a brief moment in my early morning sleep coma I seriously considered it.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Zool posted:

I was looking up video to illustrate it to ChewedFood, I found this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEG73UtODDc
Pretty rad shot.

And the classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUK6aOEJKo

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Backing it in doesn't really just mean spinning up the tire while in a corner, it means that you intentionally brake the rear loose while breaking for the corner and point the bike at the apex while the rear is still sliding, and then gradually regain rear traction and power out of the corner. You have to braking pretty hard to do it properly. The rear loses traction not due to braking but due to going to a lower gear and overrevving the rear while feeding in clutch.

That is what I had in mind and I do it all the time (on surfaces other than asphalt - I ride more offroad than on road).

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I have some leftover DRZ items that came with my bike. I'll be around Central TX and DFW over the next week if anyone wants to meet, otherwise I'll ship it at cost.

OEM gel seat (I'd recover this with a Seat Concepts) - $75
DRZ400S Blue tank (Compatible with SM) - $75
DRZ400SM Front forks (Anodizing is a little rough) - $300

http://imgur.com/a/JlrSM

Feel free to let me know if these prices are unreasonable and we can try to work something out.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Empire Waffles posted:

I have some leftover DRZ items that came with my bike. I'll be around Central TX and DFW over the next week if anyone wants to meet, otherwise I'll ship it at cost.

OEM gel seat (I'd recover this with a Seat Concepts) - $75
DRZ400S Blue tank (Compatible with SM) - $75
DRZ400SM Front forks (Anodizing is a little rough) - $300

http://imgur.com/a/JlrSM

Feel free to let me know if these prices are unreasonable and we can try to work something out.

They're the upside down forks right? I'll take them. I live in PA though. Email me Sb593805@wcupa.edu

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Got some conti attack SM's mounted up on the 690 today... can't wait to get a feel for them. The profile looks much friendlier than that of the ContiForce.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've got those on my 450 and they stick like crazy on a road course.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I have them on both the DRZ and the 690 (stock tyres on it). They do heat up very quick, grip like loving crazy, and they're ok on patchy wet and damp roads, but on proper wet roads they're quite poo poo.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I wish they weren't so pricy or I'd give them a shot. I have BT016's on now. The rear is getting killed pretty fast. I'm really not a fan of Bridgestones after trying S20's on my last bike and now 016's on the DRZ. I've found pilot powers to be pretty great for the price.

Has anyone else found the SM's cheap? Motorcycle superstore wants $180 for the rear alone. Even using a 10% off coupon still makes them pricier than any of the other options. Using the coupon you can get PP's for a bit over 100 bucks.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
It won't hurt to check with your local shops. Place here beat online pricing right off the bat, no haggling. I got them for 173 rear 131 front.

Definitely some pricy tires but the contiforces worked so drat well... it gives me extremely high expectations for these. I have a feeling the rear is only going to last 3k tho lol.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

That's my concern. I only ever seem to get 3k out of a pilot power. I can get rears for around 110 or so. The difference in price would pay for half of a new tire. I've been really pleased with powers so I'll probably stick with those. They've always been very quick to heat up and stuck super well.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Are you guys quoting the tire prices out the door? My shop wanted 236 for a conti rear and 185 for a pilot power 2, otd.

I did end up just getting a pilot power 1 from them, you know to support the local shop and all, but for those prices I was tempted to just buy some tire levers and watch a youtube video and do it myself.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Once you start doing your own changes you'll never stop*

*unless you have to replace tires on a 250 MX bike with bead lockers. gently caress that.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

The price I'm quoting for regular Powers is what I can get from Motorcycle superstore using a 10% off coupon. That's for a 150/60 tire. 120 for the tire - 12 for the 10% off if you can get it. That's with free shipping (and maybe tax is added but I'm not sure if they've adapted to that yet).

I have a friend who will let me put on tires for 10 bucks.

My local shop could get a 150/60 for probably 130 or so I'd imagine but then they charge 20 or 30 dollars I think to put a tire on + tax.

By Pilot power 2 do you mean 2CT or the new pilot power 3? 185 for a 2CT installed is a little high I'd think but it really all depends on your local shop.

My recommendation is to find a friend that does trackdays with a tire machine to help you out. It's awesome.

^ My friend almost banned me for life after one of our friends brought him a little tubed 12 inch (I think) wheel from an XR50. He said it was a nightmare to fit on the machine and change. In my experience pilot powers go on really easily as I always let them sit in the 100 degree sun for a few while we bullshit. I can't turn down 10 dollar changes and it helps him recoup the cost of the machine.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 27, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I can do a supermoto or street/track bike tire change in like 2 minutes per wheel but after struggling through the first few times and ruining tubes I just take my dirt bike wheels in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I tried to change a dirt wheel once and gave the gently caress up. I was younger then and I'm confident I could do it now but I remember it being a huuuuge pain the dick since the sidewalls are so stiff.

Also, gently caress rimlocks.

• Locked thread