Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

nielsm posted:

I don't have much to say about your first one, maybe there's a bit too much featureless sky. It feels like the focus should be on the farm houses in the centre, but right now they're almost drowning the the foreground field.

The second feels way too green. Check your colour balance, it feels bad to me. If there had been some mist, the greenness might have given a sense of unhealthyness/smog, if that's what you were going for, but if not you should probably change that.
I'm also not sure about the amount of sky you have included, the view very clearly is tilted upwards in what also seems a somewhat unnatural way.
Lastly, watch your foreground objects. The traffic light and cars in the foreground don't particularly add to the scene.

I'd like a bit of crit on my entry to this month's contest.
One thing I've done here, which I usually don't (because I'm lazy) is manually burn in some areas. I also had a layer of dodging, but accidentally didn't include it in the exported output, only noticed a while afterwards, and frankly it might only have made it worse if I had included it.
Anyway: First serious attempt at digital burn.

Rocky by jiifurusu, on Flickr

I have to disagree. The only issue I see with the color balance is that it is a bit overdone. 100% color accuracy was clearly not what he was going for and in the age of INSTAGRAM...I mean, post processing liberty I don't see any reason to equate this color balance with smog or anything like that. I think that since the color cast from the sky is seen throughout the scene that it is warranted (but again a bit too much for my taste).

As for your image, I am honestly more interested in what is happening in the left of the frame. The color of the sky and how it is reflected in the water, the color of the water hitting the dirt and where the water leads in the distance all seem more interesting to me than the rest of the frame. The right third of the frame just does not do it for me, although I do get what you are going for it is eclipsed by other elements in the frame. I think that your burning may have unintentionally brought a bit too much interest to the water.

I love the geometry, lines and unified colors of the third and I think that one is my favorite.

The second I want to like but it is my least favorite as all of the individual elements just not quite come together effortlessly for me. The symmetry of the windows in the frame does not play well with the messy bits like the x on the wondow or the not-straight parking lines - just too distracting and pulls my eye this way and that in too rough of a way.

I like your division of the frame in half in the first - it works nicely here. The sameness of each half vs. the height differences is nice to look at. The bushes unify the frame and I am not sure how I feel about that.

----

DSCF3589 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3596 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

rio fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

I love both but I feel the second is kind of under saturated. Maybe its just me?

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

I really love this one, and HolySwissCheese might not be the only one, but I disagree - I think the low saturation works great in this one. I could even see a crop with the people on top removed, and just the guy on the bottom alone on the playing field.

One from me - trying out my new 10-22:

AJK_1864.jpg by SAFistLips, on Flickr

FistLips fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 24, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I like this a lot. My only critique, which is really more of a curiosity, is that I feel the two trees (more so the proximal one) might be hiding some interesting detail that you could dodge out, they seem just a little too dark considering how lush the green is around them.

I got up to Whistler this weekend and went through an Aboriginal Cultural Center. The two concerns I might have for this shot are the color on the left being too distracting and the text being out of focus. Should I have used a smaller aperture to group the sign/goat in focus?

Big

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

During my birding adventures I pass so many sites like this and I don't know how to shoot them to capture their character correctly. Let it rip with criticism if you feel like it, I want to do better (although I kind of like this shot).

I love everything about this shot except the people at the top. Crop it and you have a wonderful shot imo.

I think your self-critique is bang on in regards to the left side of this shot. Why not crop it out completely? It's too bad you don't have more of the goat to work with. It's certainly an interesting shot.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

During my birding adventures I pass so many sites like this and I don't know how to shoot them to capture their character correctly. Let it rip with criticism if you feel like it, I want to do better (although I kind of like this shot).

I like that one as well - Almost makes the building look like a model. What's with the blurry line at the bottom? Is that still the same grass, but the focal length makes it turn blurry?

Roamed around a university yesterday waiting for a friend to show up, and figured I'd take my camera out for a walk. I took a few pictures of the local wildlife (which was only squirrels), and saw this one running around a tree.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

The only thing I don't really like about this shot is the central position of the building. If it was cropped a little to the left or right it'd have a little more impact.

A couple from a trip to Tumut in southern NSW

023.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

065.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat dude, straighten those verticals! :downsrim:

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The only thing I don't really like about this shot is the central position of the building. If it was cropped a little to the left or right it'd have a little more impact.

I could not disagree more. I think the central placement of the building in the big empty field emphasizes its aloneness, as well as the odd tilt. Placing it on a third line would imply motion, but what you want to be emphasizing is how static it is as it leans.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

I like that one as well - Almost makes the building look like a model. What's with the blurry line at the bottom? Is that still the same grass, but the focal length makes it turn blurry?

I agree on this, that the hill rolling down in the foreground being so out of focus looks off. I get what it is, but the fact that it's only straight line in the entire photo makes the bottom 10% of the pic look more like it glitched out than it was just natural depth.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I like this a lot. My only critique, which is really more of a curiosity, is that I feel the two trees (more so the proximal one) might be hiding some interesting detail that you could dodge out, they seem just a little too dark considering how lush the green is around them.

Tried doing just that now, as well as a few other smaller adjustments. Still learning Lightroom, so trying to be subtle about it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

Oh man, I love the skew in that building. I agree with the others; drop the OOF area at the bottom; it's not providing the context that I think you wanted it to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FistLips posted:

Tried doing just that now, as well as a few other smaller adjustments. Still learning Lightroom, so trying to be subtle about it.

If thats the case my suggestion would be (if you're not already doing this) scroll down on the right side to where you get the brush settings (not the same window as exposure or vibrance etc) and adjust them until you're happy with the 'softness' of the perimeter/outside of the brush as well as the ability to have varying levels of application of the masking tool by brushing across an area more than once. For example, when you check on the box at the bottom of the window that shows the masked area in red, you should be able to apply the masking in various degrees of amplitude as denoted by darker/lighter red coverage. I can't remember off the top of my head what the actual setting was called and I'm not at my home computer, but it made a big difference to me and it's one of those things you might not know to look for unless you've done other work with adobe before. This feature allows for the user to identify areas that might be naturally less or more lit and make sure that you aren't overapplying a dodge/burn to such areas without having to use another mask.

Sorry if thats unclear, I'm not sure what the actual sliders are called, but I wasn't really happy with the masking until I was able to adjust the brush as I described above. Hope it helps.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

If thats the case my suggestion would be (if you're not already doing this) scroll down on the right side to where you get the brush settings (not the same window as exposure or vibrance etc) and adjust them until you're happy with the 'softness' of the perimeter/outside of the brush as well as the ability to have varying levels of application of the masking tool by brushing across an area more than once. For example, when you check on the box at the bottom of the window that shows the masked area in red, you should be able to apply the masking in various degrees of amplitude as denoted by darker/lighter red coverage. I can't remember off the top of my head what the actual setting was called and I'm not at my home computer, but it made a big difference to me and it's one of those things you might not know to look for unless you've done other work with adobe before. This feature allows for the user to identify areas that might be naturally less or more lit and make sure that you aren't overapplying a dodge/burn to such areas without having to use another mask.

Sorry if thats unclear, I'm not sure what the actual sliders are called, but I wasn't really happy with the masking until I was able to adjust the brush as I described above. Hope it helps.

I'll look and see what I can find - thanks!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks all for the advice on the old farm building shot. I'm removing the bottom oof part since everyone seems to agree that it shouldn't be there.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

065.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

The sky in the first one is interesting, but I don't like the foreground elements. The lower right hand is busy and cut off enough that I can't really tell what it is. There are also some buildings in the middle that are cut off and distracting. I'm not sure what the situation was, but if you were able to move past those obstructions and just have the hills in view, that would make for a stronger photo. Either that or include the buildings intentionally, without cutting them off.

The second one looks like a snapshot from a moving car. The shadow on the right I don't like, and the blurred post on the left just enhances the fact that it was taken from a moving car. There are also some reflections from the window creeping in on the right. Could be a nice shot of the bridge if you were able to pull over, and the light was right.

----------

I feel like the Dorkroom isn't huge on commercial photography, but here goes anyway. I did a shoot a couple of weeks ago and this was one of my favourites of this girl. She's not a model and not comfortable in front of the camera, so that was something I struggled with - helping her overcome that. Her chin is tucked in a little too much for my liking, but I like it other than that.

105A8298_2_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012

Drunk Badger posted:

Roamed around a university yesterday waiting for a friend to show up, and figured I'd take my camera out for a walk. I took a few pictures of the local wildlife (which was only squirrels), and saw this one running around a tree.

I like this shot! I like the colors of it, and the way the squirrel's outlined on the bright grass in the background so that it stands out despite its natural camouflage. Only thing I would maybe suggest is cropping out the green grass and part of the trunk on the left, so that the tree is the only thing in the left half of the image, and so that the squirrel is not directly in the centre...

---

I tried out some portraits, really enjoyed taking and processing these:

Jaz by ArtisticPretensions, on Flickr

IMG_0874 by ArtisticPretensions, on Flickr

IMG_0896 by ArtisticPretensions, on Flickr

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
That reminds me of one of my old ones. Having the main subject slap bang in the center can work, but the other elements in your photo aren't strong enough to carry my eye around. Did you take any other shots of it? Say, where it's off to one side?

Pleasant warm tones. I don't think it needs the left side of the tree, or even the large swath of grass on the right. A tighter (vertical?) crop might help.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'm a cloud person. I really want this image to grab me, but it's coming off a bit flat. The presence of a foreground naturally begs for attention, but the most interesting thing here is the sky. The foreground is spending most of its time hiding from me. (Is that a house? What's with the pole?) Viewing it as a thumbnail really shows how dark and featureless that foreground is.

It's a great-looking bridge, but it deserves better light, and to not be shot from a moving car. Do you think they'd let you out in the field? :v:

---

I had a great time in Italy, as long as I don't dwell on the fact that most of my shots were at high noon in full sun. (Public transit was a bit limiting, and safety after dark is risky in spots.)

cloister and flowers by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

Capri by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

terrace of infinity by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Drop Database posted:

I like this shot! I like the colors of it, and the way the squirrel's outlined on the bright grass in the background so that it stands out despite its natural camouflage. Only thing I would maybe suggest is cropping out the green grass and part of the trunk on the left, so that the tree is the only thing in the left half of the image, and so that the squirrel is not directly in the centre...

---

You may want to double check your monitor calibration, these are way orange.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

CarrotFlowers posted:

I feel like the Dorkroom isn't huge on commercial photography, but here goes anyway. I did a shoot a couple of weeks ago and this was one of my favourites of this girl. She's not a model and not comfortable in front of the camera, so that was something I struggled with - helping her overcome that. Her chin is tucked in a little too much for my liking, but I like it other than that.

Is this window light? It's very pretty - directional enough to get definition on her face and skin but still diffuse enough to be flattering. The way she's holding her right hand seems a little awkward (might have been better with the hand turned so the backs of her fingers brushed the wall?) but overall the pose works very well and complements the lighting nicely.

quazi posted:

I had a great time in Italy, as long as I don't dwell on the fact that most of my shots were at high noon in full sun. (Public transit was a bit limiting, and safety after dark is risky in spots.)

cloister and flowers by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

Capri by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

terrace of infinity by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

You're allowed to shoot at noon, but own it! I think the bright sun plays well with the environment but none of the highlights in the second and third look like noon. There's bright open sky in both and hard shadows in the second (were the statues in the third in shade?), but highlights look a tad underexposed. The first and second seem like they need a little more context to tell a complete story and could benefit from wider crops. Second especially - why are these shrubs and the stone gentleman floating thousands of feet above the sea?

Drop Database posted:

I think the first is probably the best of the bunch, but I would like to see it in black and white, maybe with a graduated filter in Lightroom to make the background a little less distracting and bring more focus to her face. The third would work much better for me if the glasses frames weren't bisecting his eyes.

Ektar, Provia, Provia:

104 1/2 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

... by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Inn at Presque Isle, Erie PA by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

InternetJunky posted:

The center composition is weak. Someone suggested it adds to the isolation, but that would only work if you had more open space to each side. At this size, it would have been stronger if you had the building leaning into the open space, giving almost an illusion of movement.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

voodoorootbeer posted:

Ektar, Provia, Provia:

104 1/2 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

... by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Inn at Presque Isle, Erie PA by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

In the first: I really dig how the buildings to the left and right frame the lighter building in the middle. I have to admit, it looks like the center looks like it has a washed out circular area, but maybe it's my phone's screen.

In the second: the detail and the lines of the bricks are crisp and I think the exposure is fantastic. The candid shot of the guy walking between the alley walls makes the image in my opinion.

The third: reminds me of family vacations and roadtrips. The red car just pops and I find its positioning in the image great.

We had a disappointingly brief and sparse lightning storm last night. The only shot I got was the one I was able to take after jumping up and setting up the camera... And I left the TV on in my haste. :argh:

Boom. by ryantss, on Flickr

I'll get a cleaner shot next time!

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

CarrotFlowers posted:

The sky in the first one is interesting, but I don't like the foreground elements. The lower right hand is busy and cut off enough that I can't really tell what it is. There are also some buildings in the middle that are cut off and distracting. I'm not sure what the situation was, but if you were able to move past those obstructions and just have the hills in view, that would make for a stronger photo. Either that or include the buildings intentionally, without cutting them off.

The second one looks like a snapshot from a moving car. The shadow on the right I don't like, and the blurred post on the left just enhances the fact that it was taken from a moving car. There are also some reflections from the window creeping in on the right. Could be a nice shot of the bridge if you were able to pull over, and the light was right.

----------

Love the window light on that one, if you wanted you could have defused it a little bit more so her stomach has the same amount of light than her face but other than that it's fine. Her eyes are gorgeous and the posture is great. I have to agree with the other poster than her right hand is the weak point of that photo since everything else is well posed the right arm just feels out of place. I would say you could have moved it along her body to define the right side of her waist but that's just me.

Editing wise well that's my cup of tea so I'll go ahead and say it was well done. :) It's one of the pictures I wish I had taken.

Here are some of mine....

IMG_5508 by avoyer, on Flickr

img_2585 by avoyer, on Flickr

... and one that's a bit out of my usual style.

IMG_5698 by avoyer, on Flickr

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

tau posted:

In the first: I really dig how the buildings to the left and right frame the lighter building in the middle. I have to admit, it looks like the center looks like it has a washed out circular area, but maybe it's my phone's screen.

In the second: the detail and the lines of the bricks are crisp and I think the exposure is fantastic. The candid shot of the guy walking between the alley walls makes the image in my opinion.

The third: reminds me of family vacations and roadtrips. The red car just pops and I find its positioning in the image great.

We had a disappointingly brief and sparse lightning storm last night. The only shot I got was the one I was able to take after jumping up and setting up the camera... And I left the TV on in my haste. :argh:

I really love this picture. Really really love it. It's so outside the norm of what we normally see from this genre. I think you can call the TV serendipity this time.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tau posted:

The TV actually reads (very) quickly as another billboard. You have an awesomely photogenic loft/apartment. I think I like the two (actual) billboards in the bottom center as much as the lightning.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Huxley posted:

The TV actually reads (very) quickly as another billboard. You have an awesomely photogenic loft/apartment. I think I like the two (actual) billboards in the bottom center as much as the lightning.

That's what I thought too, plus it gives the window frame a nice glow instead of just turning it into a silhouette.

And yeah that washed out spot on 104 1/2 might be lens flare. Just ordered a hood because I'm pretty sure that lens would flare if somebody so much as glances at it sternly.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

tau posted:

I wish that the was higher up and instead of including some of the brick at the bottom I would have rather seen more of the window. I think while the tv reflection is not ideal it is not so over powering that it is the first thing you see.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dread Head posted:

I wish that the was higher up and instead of including some of the brick at the bottom I would have rather seen more of the window. I think while the tv reflection is not ideal it is not so over powering that it is the first thing you see.

I like the second one a lot because fog but you've pushed the blue and the green too much in the first one and it comes off looking a bit unnatural.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Dren posted:

I like the second one a lot because fog but you've pushed the blue and the green too much in the first one and it comes off looking a bit unnatural.

I disagree, I don't think it looks unnatural at all. I think the full sun is hurting the image a little though. The fog photo I like but the bottom seems a little chopped off.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xenilk posted:

I think the choice to obscure the face strengthens the photo, but with a subject like this you aren't gaining anything by placing the model off-center.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

RangerScum posted:

I think the choice to obscure the face strengthens the photo, but with a subject like this you aren't gaining anything by placing the model off-center.

Good point, I'll recrop it :)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

xenilk posted:

Love the window light on that one, if you wanted you could have defused it a little bit more so her stomach has the same amount of light than her face but other than that it's fine. Her eyes are gorgeous and the posture is great. I have to agree with the other poster than her right hand is the weak point of that photo since everything else is well posed the right arm just feels out of place. I would say you could have moved it along her body to define the right side of her waist but that's just me.

Editing wise well that's my cup of tea so I'll go ahead and say it was well done. :) It's one of the pictures I wish I had taken.

Here are some of mine....

IMG_5508 by avoyer, on Flickr

img_2585 by avoyer, on Flickr

Are you familiar with https://www.flickr.com/photos/itsedsy

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Not at all, but I love that style!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Somehow I don't think anyone is surprised!

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Somehow I don't think anyone is surprised!

Aahah, touché.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

voodoorootbeer posted:

Is this window light? It's very pretty - directional enough to get definition on her face and skin but still diffuse enough to be flattering. The way she's holding her right hand seems a little awkward (might have been better with the hand turned so the backs of her fingers brushed the wall?) but overall the pose works very well and complements the lighting nicely.

Sure is window light! Northern window light in fact :) Thank you. The posing was a little stiff - I'll keep that in mind next time.

xenilk posted:

Thanks, man! I did bring some fabric to diffuse the light, but didn't even think about using it once I saw it was a north facing window. I did try to dodge and burn a bit in post to even the light out a bit, but looks like I could have pushed it a bit more. So when you guys say her right hand, you mean her actual right hand, correct? The one above her head?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

Sure is window light! Northern window light in fact :) Thank you. The posing was a little stiff - I'll keep that in mind next time.

Thanks, man! I did bring some fabric to diffuse the light, but didn't even think about using it once I saw it was a north facing window. I did try to dodge and burn a bit in post to even the light out a bit, but looks like I could have pushed it a bit more. So when you guys say her right hand, you mean her actual right hand, correct? The one above her head?

That's correct, sorry I wasn't very clear. :)

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Since there's been a couple posts without pics and everything in the page seens to have already been criticized, i'll try some self-criticism for my post.

But I want to join in the praise for those portraits, they're awesome!

mari por primoitcho, no Flickr

I know that people are usually against shades for portraits, but it was a really sunny day (which is also the reason I had to shoot this more closed then i'd like), but I like how the colour matches her hair/clothing. Besides opening the aperture, what else would help?

0020030-R1-22-23A por primoitcho, no Flickr

I like the really blue sky, just not sure if the composition is strong enough? The pedestal is a little blown, so maybe shooting with slower film to get a wider range or maybe exposing one or two stops under?

Both taken with Superia 400.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Primo Itch posted:

Since there's been a couple posts without pics and everything in the page seens to have already been criticized, i'll try some self-criticism for my post.

But I want to join in the praise for those portraits, they're awesome!

mari por primoitcho, no Flickr

I know that people are usually against shades for portraits, but it was a really sunny day (which is also the reason I had to shoot this more closed then i'd like), but I like how the colour matches her hair/clothing. Besides opening the aperture, what else would help?

It's pretty cool that you managed to get a shades shot where you can actually still see the eyes, so it's a bit of a shame they're not more open or directed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Mantooth
Dec 23, 2005

The reclusive dictator of the "Hermit Kingdom"
Toronto, what I see daily

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcronin/9167721196/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)