Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I figured someone here might get a kick out of this: http://switchfringe.co.uk/map.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Did some animating for a Philly game jam game called Crabmando. You can play it here.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Played your game.

Your game is gross.

I like it.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I've been working on some more animations for the character. In a few weeks I'm going to get into some of the equipment, so I need ol' Tempy here to have more animations to him before hand. All the rest of the animations are going to be based off this guy.

The climb animation seems... creepy. I'm not sure why. Also I just noticed his sleeves seem to pull up as he climbs

barge
Jun 12, 2006

I didn't realize it was climbing at first and thought it was his little dance animation. It looks good I htink the climb will make sense when he is actually moving.

I've been trying out animation and man I dunno how people have the patience for it. I made a little horse today

and then tried to make a rider but it is just way too much work to try and animate him properly or finish cleaning it up.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Ugh it does look like dancing

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

Coldrice posted:

I thought the solution would just be timing, but... uh... I guess I just made snappier dancing.

Then again it looks like climbing animations out of context are just silly in general, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
Made this for a friend to use in a loading screen or something. Just two colors + transparency, so it can be quickly adapted to someone else's color scheme.

barge posted:

I've been trying out animation and man I dunno how people have the patience for it. I made a little horse today

You're obviously a talented artist, more so than I am, but from one guy who hasn't been animating for a long time to another, it sounds like you're biting off more than you can chew. The frame detail is high and the perspective is rather complicated (I can only assume you're referencing a 3D model, and don't have a lot of room to get creative with the movements themselves?). It's a lot easier to have patience when you're free-handing a stick figure animation and have some creative agency. That cat I posted above, it's what, 30 pixels wide? Yet it took me something like 3 hours, getting the ears to turn and dip with the head movements, doing the tail flicks, everything. But it was really fun to approach each problem--adding motion blur to the eyes, offsetting the timing of one set of legs from the other, etc.

I saw the game assets you posted in the past. Are you planning to animate for games too? Definitely go smaller for anything like that. It would also animate more smoothly if it were smaller, although I think yours looks pretty good already at only 6 frames. Keep posting stuff.

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

Then again it looks like climbing animations out of context are just silly in general, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

IIRC Chrono Trigger actually doubles its climbing frames as dancing moves (when you're at festivals and stuff), but then, even Chrono Trigger's walks are goofy.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

yeah you're completely right - that was just beyond my skill level. I really like your cat and so I tried some simpler stuff and it was a lot more rewarding

I didn't use a 3d model though >:(

edit: coldrice I hope you double up with that animation and play it when you finish a level!

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

barge posted:

I didn't use a 3d model though >:(
Ah, my bad. Clearly a hell of a lot of work went into it either way, and it looks good--I just assumed some kind of 3D animation reference because the perspective was interesting, and with a model you can set the camera wherever you want, and have stuff move in place... I've seen it used pretty well. Plus horse legs are tricky, the way they all come together underneath the body and all that.

Oh, and nice work with those facial expressions!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

DicktheCat posted:

Did you try Aseprite? It's in the OP, so you might have already, but once you actually learn it, and its shortcuts, it's actually quite good. I use it, and I've really enjoyed it, just as an animator. There are a few snags- like I don't quite like how you have to tab out to do much with its layers- but other wise, it's a very solid little program. It doesn't like tablets that much, but neither does GraphigsGale.

Hrmm.. space to pan around, a grid, right click ERASES?! It makes so much sense!

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Coldrice posted:

Looking for some feedback and tips. I'm building some simple enemies to test on Interstellaria this week, and I'm making an effort to try and make art that I'll actually use in the game later on. The setting is a outpost where the tenants are missing, the dogs have gone mad, and the robots are on red alert mode and attack everything

rabid dog

spikey bot

Simple walker bot

simple shooter bot

**edit
Sadly the smoke and effects are WHITE and don't show up well on the forums background...

I am so in love with how your game is looking :3:

Tonight, I've been thinking about characters for an adventure game I'd like to make some day. I cleaned up the robot and tried neater with how I sketch these so animating will be easier down the line. I do want to give em some grit though!

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Zvezda posted:

I am so in love with how your game is looking :3:

Thanks! I'm really jealous of your robot though. I feel like mine is the play skool toy and yours is the mans robot

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Having fun with Aseprite this morning. Colours are poo poo, but if anyone has any advice on the linework I'd appreciate it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
She's suppose to have braces, right? I'm not sure the best way to go about it but as it stands now in the small version it just kinda look like she has a mouthful of chaw.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah those are drvin' me nuts trying to get right.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Coldrice posted:

Thanks! I'm really jealous of your robot though. I feel like mine is the play skool toy and yours is the mans robot

Aw, shucks :3:

I'm gonna make a bunch of different tileable building pieces so I can put some streets together.

I figure I make the tiling bits cleanly then I'll paint over the assembled streets to give it some life and visual interest.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

These are excellent! A surprising amount of depth for such a small palette and blocked-in colouring. I love the 'natural' poses.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finally managed to find a good base building tutorial online.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I am salivating over that space man. For reals, yo.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Having a good day.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Why did he grow a penis out of his forehead?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Yodzilla posted:

Why did he grow a penis out of his forehead?

You'll have to help me see it.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Shoehead posted:

You'll have to help me see it.

Took me a while, but it's the bottom left one of the 6 heads. A square dillz.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Coldrice posted:

I think it might help if his body swayed with weight, while his hands and feet stayed locked in place while he moved.

I guess imagine the hands really clamping on to the wall, and then his body moves up. Try and draw the weight of it actually being LIFTED up via the arms and legs (which are clamped, remember), then his body stays still again while the hands seek new places to clamp on.

The way he looks now is like a bug climbing a wall, they don't have to pause and shift weight because they have many feet in contact with the wall at all times. Yours only has one foot and one hand, and he's really going at it.

Even as a crawling animation it looks too fast.

So, to sum up; slow it down, lock his hands, sway his body, feel the weight, etc.

Does that make any sense? I'm not really an animator. :ohdear:

I spent way too long on that, and I couldn't be assed to make alternating motions with the legs, and obviously the hands weren't touched at all. :effort:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 1, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

uggghhh brain...

the chaos engine posted:

Took me a while, but it's the bottom left one of the 6 heads. A square dillz.

I..kinda see it?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Shoehead posted:

uggghhh brain...

I..kinda see it?

The leg in this animation moves an inconsistent amount per frame; when in contact with the ground, the foot should move back a set amount of pixels per frame.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Count Uvula posted:

The leg in this animation moves an inconsistent amount per frame; when in contact with the ground, the foot should move back a set amount of pixels per frame.

Like so?

(I'm pretty sure my volumes are off.)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I happened across this and thought it might of interest to a few folks around here.

Here's a couple examples of their work.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Ahhh that is adorable. :allears:

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
That water is amazing. I really like their post on palettes, too.

e: and the wind! At first I didn't even notice it, but I love that the pinwheel, curtains, canopy, and chimney smoke in the second picture are all blowing in the same direction and everything. Not to mention the attention to shadows on the architecture is spectacular.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 3, 2013

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I did another commissioned piece.

It was for a facebook cover page. Took surprisingly long for something that is just like 10 shades of greens. All the jokes were his as well, so don't blame me for bad humour :ohdear:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Keys too shitbox?

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

crabrock posted:

Keys too shitbox?

Should read as "keys to a shitbox". Unfortunately facebook uses weird dimensions for cover photos and I was working in a lower resolution so resizing meant a few pixels didn't come out properly.

I've also been doing some random sprite things.

Kind of want to work in a higher resolution so that things at 1x come out nicer. Also trying to figure out lighting a bit better but still stumbling.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Disproportionation posted:

I am by no means an expert, but I thought I'd give it a go and I came up with this:

Disproportionation, if you're still looking at this thread: do you have a website or something? I'm about to finish up a project and want to credit you with a name/link for the palette help, but I can't find any website or contact info related to you.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Does anyone know if there is a way to batch export animations from gal format to multiple static image files in GraphicsGale? It was okay when I was just playing around with a few animations but it's really not going to work if I always have to manually export every animation when I need to generate my sprite sheet from the originals.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
There's a Multiple Files option if you select Export in the menu (it's a dropdown that also has a Combined option), it will make an image file for each frame the same size as the source animation. The Combined option, for reference will export the GAL as a single sheet with the frames arranged in a grid format.

EDIT: It sounds like you might be looking for a way to apply the above to multiple GAL files at once? I don't think there's a direct way to do that, but you can try hotkeying the Export option, it'll reduce the effort required by a bit, at least.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 9, 2013

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Can Of Worms posted:

There's a Multiple Files option if you select Export in the menu (it's a dropdown that also has a Combined option), it will make an image file for each frame the same size as the source animation. The Combined option, for reference will export the GAL as a single sheet with the frames arranged in a grid format.

Right, that's what I meant by manually exporting each animation. If I have a hundred or so animations I don't want to manually export each one every time I want to create a sprite sheet (and I don't want to use GraphicsGale to produce the sprite sheet because it doesn't support the layout options I want, and it doesn't produce an XML with the layout of the sheet). What I wanted to use is the batch convert function, but that only converts to one static image file per animated gal file, not like the export feature does.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Kazerad posted:

Disproportionation, if you're still looking at this thread: do you have a website or something? I'm about to finish up a project and want to credit you with a name/link for the palette help, but I can't find any website or contact info related to you.

Not at the moment, though I'm looking to have one up by the end of the month. It's not much of a big deal though, I'm just happy to help.

Content:
I should really do pixel art more than once in a blue moon, I got a lot of free time though now (touch wood) so I'm gonna try and actually use some of this stuff in a project, since I need to learn unity anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Can Of Worms posted:

EDIT: It sounds like you might be looking for a way to apply the above to multiple GAL files at once?

Correct. That is what I meant when I said "batch export". I think the only solution might be to stop drawing the originals in gal. If I want to continue working in GraphicsGale I guess I can use gif instead of gal for the originals, and then use some open source gif conversion library in my toolchain to generate the sprite sheet.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 9, 2013