Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That got me looking up the armor a bit.

DEAL WITH IT. (Source unknown)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I love old comic book covers

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Gavok posted:

It was House of M. There were no nifty scenes in Ultimatum.

No, I seem to remember us agreeing that the Multiple Man suicide bomb dogpile on Giant-Man (ans MM as a reusable suicide bomber in general) was actually a good idea.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The nicest thing I can say about Ultimatium is that it is not Ultimates 3.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

The nicest thing I can say about Ultimatium is that it is not Ultimates 3.

Which one was the one where The Ultimates are hanging out drinking beers and openly watching Tony Stark's sex tape on the big screen as that's something that people just casually do - watch videos of their friend having sex.

Unrelated:

I'm picking it was Assistant Editor's Month?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 23, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Which one was the one where The Ultimates are hanging out drinking beers and openly watching Tony Stark's sex tape on the big screen as is that's something that people just casually do - watch videos of their friend having sex.

Unrelated:

It was and it's also the greatest issue of Thor in the history of the character.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jerusalem posted:

Which one was the one where The Ultimates are hanging out drinking beers and openly watching Tony Stark's sex tape on the big screen as is that's something that people just casually do - watch videos of their friend having sex.

Not to defend that Loeb pile, but weren't they half replaced by Ultimate Ultrons by that point? I seem to recall BSS analyzing it pretty closely.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jerusalem posted:

Also the Wasp patiently explaining the Quicksilver and Scarlet witch twincest to Cap as if it was another of those modern social conventions that his staid 1940s mind couldn't get. And not, you know, still recognised by modern society as wrong. Also, I think they leave a drugged Spider-Man passed out in central park at one point (they're the ones who drugged him).

Comics, Everybody!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Probably the best aspect of Quicksilver's superspeed for me is that - while he isn't anywhere near as fast as say The Flash - superspeed is his natural state of being. So when he's acting "normal" he's actually very deliberately acting/talking/moving in what feels like slow-motion to him. So people would complain about his arrogance and short temper when he was actually going incredibly out of his way to bring himself down to their level.

Peter David did some pretty awesome stuff with him in X-Factor, including the issue where he learns to play the piano, but in general he just kind of gets treated by writers as "Not-Flash".

Edit: In fact, here is the scene - a post-mission "counseling" session with Doc. Samson:

From X-Factor 87

I love how even though quicksilvers dressed in a suit he still wears running shoes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Which one was the one where The Ultimates are hanging out drinking beers and openly watching Tony Stark's sex tape on the big screen as that's something that people just casually do - watch videos of their friend having sex.

Unrelated:

From the same issue:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also the Wasp patiently explaining the Quicksilver and Scarlet witch twincest to Cap as if it was another of those modern social conventions that his staid 1940s mind couldn't get. And not, you know, still recognised by modern society as wrong. Also, I think they leave a drugged Spider-Man passed out in central park at one point (they're the ones who drugged him).

Comics, Everybody!

There was also this moment
Ultimates 3 #3 is the worst

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 23, 2013

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

As bad as Ultimatum was it at least made a little bit of sense and the art wasn't godawful. U3 was just lower profile and didn't result in the deaths of half the UltU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I thought everyone just kinda agreed to pretend Ultimate Spider-Man was the only Ultimate title.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Crowetron posted:

I thought everyone just kinda agreed to pretend Ultimate Spider-Man was the only Ultimate title.

Ultimates 1 and 2 were great, UFF was at least really good, and a lot of the post-ultimatum stuff has been pretty good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I thought the first few arcs of Ultimate X-Men were fairly enjoyable. Not brilliant or game-changing, sure, but fairly enjoyable with decent art. It was definitely the weakest title of the lot, by comparison, and it got a lot sillier as time went on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

There was also this moment
Ultimates 3 is the worst

That's like the darkest piece of comedy I've seen in a big 2 book so I honestly can't hate it that much. I mean, I know it's way out of place, but still, I kind of love it.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
Enough about awful Ultimate comics. Time for more Hercules pics. Taskmaster had his day, now it's Herc's time to shine!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thor is kind of like Hercules, only not as fun. But I do like how petty he can be sometimes.

From Hulk: Let The Battle Begin

I love that "MAKE ME!" is the best retort he could come up with.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Blind Sally posted:

I thought the first few arcs of Ultimate X-Men were fairly enjoyable. Not brilliant or game-changing, sure, but fairly enjoyable with decent art. It was definitely the weakest title of the lot, by comparison, and it got a lot sillier as time went on.

I liked the UFF arcs involving the Marvel Zombies.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Jerusalem posted:

I love that "MAKE ME!" is the best retort he could come up with.

To be fair, he has to use one Hulk will understand, or it's just wasted.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Considering how much he's complained about not being able to write X-Factor without constant interruptions from crossovers, I feel like they might have missed a chance to make UXM a great title by not putting Peter David on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

To be fair, he has to use one Hulk will understand, or it's just wasted.

Hulk's "THEN GET HAIRCUT!" is a pretty snappy initial comeback though!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

from Laugh #127

That tongue

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
From the end of Deadpool Team Up #899

Hercules + sombrero is pretty grand

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

ghosthorse posted:

From the end of Deadpool Team Up #899

Hercules + sombrero is pretty grand

Is that the issue where Deadpool stabs himself in the head with a knife? I remember that one being pretty decent.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet

Deadpool 11

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

About 10 years ago, Deadpool's comic was replaced for just over a year with a fun little series called Agent X. Deadpool had gone up against a mercenary/assassin called Black Swan which left both men considered dead and an amnesiac wandering about who seemed like he MIGHT be Deadpool but probably wasn't. It all got resolved in the final issue Agent X was the corpse of a henchman who got the mixed up personalities/powers of Deadpool/Black Swan, with a final confrontation with Black Swan. Swan was one of those desperately boring "perfect" characters, one of those guys who seemed to be considered totally cool and badass by the writer but nobody else, and suffice to say I really disliked him. So I always get a good laugh out of the final page of the final issue of Agent X, which features all the characters (including Taskmaster and Deadpool) on vacation, using Black Swan's taxidermied corpse as a prop - it seemed an appropriate ending, somehow.

Agent X #15

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Daken: Dark Wolverine #21

The idea of this happening is why teenage me was afraid of approaching women.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, that explains DP's pouches.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
This isn't exactly the place for it, but could someone explain the whole Deadpool/T-ray thing to me in under a paragraph? I read through all of v1 of Deadpool and that was one of the most perplexing comic experiences I've ever had. I mean, what? Is, like, T-ray the zombie corpse of Wade Wilson?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

East of West #2

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sizone posted:

This isn't exactly the place for it, but could someone explain the whole Deadpool/T-ray thing to me in under a paragraph? I read through all of v1 of Deadpool and that was one of the most perplexing comic experiences I've ever had. I mean, what? Is, like, T-ray the zombie corpse of Wade Wilson?

T-Ray was the real Wade Wilson while Deadpool was a guy who killed him and stole his identity, but went crazy and thought he really was Wade Wilson. Then T-Ray came back from the dead to get revenge. Then one writer said, "That's stupid!" and made it so that Deadpool was always the real Wade Wilson. Then it became a thing where different writers had different opinions on the matter and it became a clusterfuck.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I find the best way to think of things is that T-Ray was a psycho with a band-aid on his nose and leave it at that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Jerusalem posted:

I find the best way to think of things is that T-Ray was a psycho with a band-aid on his nose and leave it at that.

You're probably right, but I can't help but think that the stolen identity thing would've played out pretty well, as the sort of grand motif for the first run of Deadpool was redemption and becoming a hero, had it come to some sort of conclusion rather than, as Gavok just illuminated me, getting scrapped, like, midway through.

I should post some funny panels to make up for the derail, but the only scans I have on this computer are MLP:FiM. Anyone want to see a Blade Runner reference in a My Little Pony comic?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Jerusalem posted:

That probably safest at this point. The film execs likely want the story to be less convoluted.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sizone posted:

You're probably right, but I can't help but think that the stolen identity thing would've played out pretty well, as the sort of grand motif for the first run of Deadpool was redemption and becoming a hero, had it come to some sort of conclusion rather than, as Gavok just illuminated me, getting scrapped, like, midway through.

I should post some funny panels to make up for the derail, but the only scans I have on this computer are MLP:FiM. Anyone want to see a Blade Runner reference in a My Little Pony comic?

I'm pretty sure that no-one wants to see that.

Anyway, here's a PSA in which Superman gives smokers cancer.

Hell if I can find the source. It seems like there were a lot of Superman anti-smoking PSAs and ads.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, some health groups published a bunch of comics in the early 80's of Superman vs Nick O'Teen that were in pretty much every doctor's office / school for awhile.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anyone have scans of the Captain America asthma comics? I had asthma as a kid and I remember reading those as a kid. I liked them at the time, but I have to assume the'res some humour in a villain whose superpower is spraying pollen at childrej.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Balon posted:

Is that the issue where Deadpool stabs himself in the head with a knife? I remember that one being pretty decent.
I'm assuming this is the correct image, unless Deadpool has stabbed himself in the head a bunch of times, which is something he would probably do.

Deadpool Team Up #899, just to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jerusalem posted:

I like to remember him as the most unimpressive villain to ever make a similarly unimpressive threat by misunderstanding how children's games work.

[deadpool #30]

• Locked thread