Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

An Cat Dubh posted:

I haven't read Pet Sematary since becoming a parent. I'm sure it would be a much different experience reading it now.

It really is. There's a whole new layer of loving terrifying involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
I finished NOS4A2 last night. Not a bad read, but it did feel a little long.

The climax felt over the top to me as well. Especially with Vic suffering from fatal stab wounds and in the process of dying, at times nearly falling over unconscious but then the next moment riding around like a bat out of hell . Characters having injuries affect them selectively isn't anything new I guess, but it still bothered me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

So King did an AMA on Reddit today

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

...and he says Lisey's Story is his favorite.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Aatrek posted:

...and he says Lisey's Story is his favorite.
I saw that! Interestingly says the four boys in Stand By Me were his idea of the most faithful character adaptations in a movie.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Here, I grabbed some of the more interesting bits:

quote:

King: If I were to "unpublish" a novel...hmmm. There are some I'd probably rewrite, but unpublished? Probably not even ROSE MADDER, which has always seemed less than successful to me.

quote:

Reddit 1: The timing of this AMA... 4.15...4 + 15 = 19. Coincidence? I think not
King: 19 is never a coincidence.
Reddit 2: "Is never a coincidence" is also 19 letters. Nice.

quote:

Yes, I might go back there (Eyes of the Dragon universe). I wrote a sequel to THE SHINING, so anything is possible. As a general rule, I don't revisit. Too many new stories to tell.

quote:

Favorite musical act of all time? Probably Creedence Clearwater Revival. But AC/DC is close...and The Temptations...the Stones...ah, man, don't get me started. Just not Led Zeppelin.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So guess who just decided that it would be a good idea to pass a few days while suffering from strep throat by reading the extended edition of The Stand? :suicide:

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I loved Hearts in Atlantis and Eyes of the Dragon. Both of them are pretty different from your standard King fare.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Eric the Mauve posted:

So guess who just decided that it would be a good idea to pass a few days while suffering from strep throat by reading the extended edition of The Stand? :suicide:

That's always a good idea.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So after years of not reading anything by Stephen King I picked up IT earlier this year and blasted through it in a couple of extended sittings. I'm honestly blown away. I've read a handful of King's novels - the Dark Tower Series, Eyes of the Dragon, Salem's Lot, The Stand, Insomnia - but I never thought they were anything extraordinary. I figured King's real talent was in his short stories.

For me IT really just exists in a class of its own when it comes to King's writing. Everything is so taught and fast paced, there's a constant creepy atmosphere, there are some great characterizations and a well rounded cast. Obviously one could pick big holes in the novel - I mean, we are talking about an 1100 page story about a killer space clown - but IT was definitely one of the most enjoyable books I've read in years. Hell, even though it was Stephen King book I found myself well satisfied at the end of the novel.

Now that I've finished the book I am sorta curious to know if King ever wrote any commentary on it. I really enjoyed both Danse Macabre and On Writing many years ago and while King discussed the writing process behind some of his other novels I don't recall him saying much about the inspiration or process behind the creation of IT. My copy of the book is from the early 1990s and doesn't contain any sort of introduction, which is too bad since I've come to really enjoy anything Stephen King addresses to "Constant Reader".

So my question for the thread is this: does anyone know of any book or interview where King discusses IT? Apparently he wrote an introduction for the 25th year anniversary but that thing costs a lot more money than I'm willing to spend just so I can read the author's recollections of writing the novel.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

That reminds me: a few years back my girlfriend came down with a really bad flu and asked me to grab a book for her to read while I was at work. She was a really fast reader, so I wanted something that would be sure to last her a while, so I grabbed the biggest book I saw.

It was The Stand. :v:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I really want to read IT but have seen the TV movie so many drat times I don't feel like it's really worth it.

Then again, it has been like three years since I last saw it so maybe I've forgotten enough of it...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

a kitten posted:

That reminds me: a few years back my girlfriend came down with a really bad flu and asked me to grab a book for her to read while I was at work. She was a really fast reader, so I wanted something that would be sure to last her a while, so I grabbed the biggest book I saw.

It was The Stand. :v:

My first car was the same model as the one the airman used to "rescue" his family from the base which he promptly crashed into a gas station.

crankdatbatman posted:

I really want to read IT but have seen the TV movie so many drat times I don't feel like it's really worth it.

Then again, it has been like three years since I last saw it so maybe I've forgotten enough of it...

Agreed so much. I know I read it back in the day but I've seen both of these so many times.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Helsing posted:

So after years of not reading anything by Stephen King I picked up IT earlier this year and blasted through it in a couple of extended sittings. I'm honestly blown away. I've read a handful of King's novels - the Dark Tower Series, Eyes of the Dragon, Salem's Lot, The Stand, Insomnia - but I never thought they were anything extraordinary. I figured King's real talent was in his short stories.

For me IT really just exists in a class of its own when it comes to King's writing. Everything is so taught and fast paced, there's a constant creepy atmosphere, there are some great characterizations and a well rounded cast. Obviously one could pick big holes in the novel - I mean, we are talking about an 1100 page story about a killer space clown - but IT was definitely one of the most enjoyable books I've read in years. Hell, even though it was Stephen King book I found myself well satisfied at the end of the novel.

Now that I've finished the book I am sorta curious to know if King ever wrote any commentary on it. I really enjoyed both Danse Macabre and On Writing many years ago and while King discussed the writing process behind some of his other novels I don't recall him saying much about the inspiration or process behind the creation of IT. My copy of the book is from the early 1990s and doesn't contain any sort of introduction, which is too bad since I've come to really enjoy anything Stephen King addresses to "Constant Reader".

So my question for the thread is this: does anyone know of any book or interview where King discusses IT? Apparently he wrote an introduction for the 25th year anniversary but that thing costs a lot more money than I'm willing to spend just so I can read the author's recollections of writing the novel.

I have this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Bones-Co...th+stephen+king

and if I remember correctly, he was in a subway, and just had the idea of some horrible THING that lived in the tunnels and ate kids (everyone is sleeping here, so I can't go grab the book & check for certain). Also, if you guys like "Danse Macabre", you should check out "Bare Bones". It's just transcripts of interviews over the course of 10-ish years, but it's really fun to see how SK's answers change as he gets older and more confident/experienced, and also, how some of them stay the same. Anybody else read it?

ETA: The TV version of "It" is so loving awful compared to the book. So, so, so bad... I can't even come up with a word for it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think King said "It" came from crossing over a bridge and he was reminded of the Three Billy Goats Gruff with a monster eating children and he just took it from there. Or April is right and I'm just misremembering something.

Yeah, "It" the series is loving horrible except for Tim Curry's scenes. PLEASE read the book.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I got a copy of Bare Bones at a garage sale for $1. Really cool book. I dunno if I still have my copy, but I remember there being some interesting things, like how he would lay in bed at night in college dreaming of being interviewed by Playboy, and I remember some interesting insights on Cujo and why he chose to end it the way he did, and then have the movie change it. I haven't read it in years, but it's full of facts and anecdotes about where his story ideas come from.

If you manage to find a copy, it's pretty cool.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
What's a good Steven King book for a 12 year old girl? Has to be appropriate as well..

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

What's a good Steven King book for a 12 year old girl? Has to be appropriate as well..

Eyes of the Dragon maybe? That's his most "Young Adult" novel, pretty much anything else is going to have something that isn't quite appropriate for a 12 year old.

Also, just a reminder that Under the Dome is starting tonight on CBS.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I think the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon would be fine for a 12 year old. I'm assuming you want a book that is somewhat scary without sex or rape scenes. If that's too much, there's always Christopher Pike!

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Hey, Under the Dome starts up on CBS tonight. Here's the TVIV thread, for those interested!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

crankdatbatman posted:

I watched the miniseries after reading the book and while a lot of memorable scenes do get reproduced in the miniseries the overall feel of the two is pretty different. The book takes a lot more time to establish both the main characters and the town of Derry itself. The book includes an additional confrontation with Pennywise, a lot more character building, more chapters focusing on peripheral characters who were victims of Pennywise, and some really interesting chapters about the history of Derry.

Another great thing about IT compared to some of King's other early works is how accomplished the structure of the novel is. It gets just slightly creaky toward the end when he rushes some of the payoffs that he set up earlier one of the antagonists who has been built up a bunch in the book unexpectedly dies off screen and this event is given about two lines of description but on the whole it felt like a much better constructed book than some of King's other long novels. There's a particularly brilliant and unsettling sequences where King digresses into a description of the psychology of a young psychopath named Patrick Hockstetter. Hockstetter is already a murderer, having smothered his younger brother in the crib, but what makes this chapter interesting is the way that King describes Patrick's firm conviction that he's the only being that really 'exists'. Nothing in the universe is real to him except his own existence. He kills his younger brother, in part, because he fears that he might be 'real' as well and finds this threatening. Patrick is only a minor character but the reason this is interesting is because later we get a chapter describing IT's psychology, and it turns out to be virtualyl the same as Patrick's. IT is also a solipsistic predator who doesn't think anything in the universe is truly real except for itself. When IT begins to perceive that there may be another living being in the universe IT becomes afraid for the first time. King never rubs your face into the comparison, but its pretty cool the way he sets up this parallel between the mind of a ten year old sociopath and the mind of an ancient demonic spirit that was born in the darkness between the stars.

So yeah, read IT!

April posted:

I have this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Bones-Co...th+stephen+king

and if I remember correctly, he was in a subway, and just had the idea of some horrible THING that lived in the tunnels and ate kids (everyone is sleeping here, so I can't go grab the book & check for certain). Also, if you guys like "Danse Macabre", you should check out "Bare Bones". It's just transcripts of interviews over the course of 10-ish years, but it's really fun to see how SK's answers change as he gets older and more confident/experienced, and also, how some of them stay the same. Anybody else read it?

I will definitely check out the interview book, thanks for the recommendation. I don't know why but even though I'm not a diehard King fan I always really enjoy reading his nonfiction. He's one of the few author's whose introductions I will always read. Maybe because "On Writing" was actually the first book by him that I read.

quote:

ETA: The TV version of "It" is so loving awful compared to the book. So, so, so bad... I can't even come up with a word for it.

Yeah its bizare how the movie joylessly reproduces so many scenes from the book without even attempting to capture the actual feel of the book. Every scene that doesn't have Tim Curry in it feels like its completely function and just designed to move the narrative to the next monster scene. Also I couldn't believe how bad the actual cintematography and camera work were: so dull and flat and uninspired.

However, apparently they are gonna remake IT as a two parter with an R rating! And the director behind it is a young guy named Cary Fukunaga who directed, Sin Nombre, a movie that makes me think he might be well suited for this project. I rarely get excited for movie adaptations of books but this one could be really good.

oldpainless posted:

I think King said "It" came from crossing over a bridge and he was reminded of the Three Billy Goats Gruff with a monster eating children and he just took it from there. Or April is right and I'm just misremembering something.

Yeah, "It" the series is loving horrible except for Tim Curry's scenes. PLEASE read the book.

There's an explicit reference to the Billygoats Gruff in the book so this would make sense.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Ok, it was driving me nuts, so I flipped through my copy of "Bare Bones" quickly, and I think we might BOTH be right:

page 138 posted:

A cab driver told me once that there was an abandoned subway tunnel under Central Park. I thought, "This is fantastic!" In fact I've even had a book that I've wanted to write for about three years where that would work right in.

page 120 posted:

I've got a book that I've wanted to write for two years, and I haven't had time. It's a book about ... Jeez. Scary. You know. About this--this thing in a kind of a subway system. It's a scary idea, and I just haven't had time to write it.

page 87 posted:

People ask me, "Where do you get your ideas, man?" ... They come. That's the huge part of it. You get an idea. Inspiration! Maybe it's a good idea, and maybe it isn't. File it away. Maybe you'll use it, and maybe not. Anyway, this particular day I was walking across a bridge at dusk. This was an industrial park community~way out~but you could see the town through this marshy area. It was real spook stuff. I could hear my boots on the bridge. They made a very echoey sound, and then 1 got this "telephone call" from my childhood. I thought any second I'm going to hear a voice say, "Who's that walking on my bridge?" Then the troll would just jump out, grab me, and eat me up. It's amusing, but I hurried to get off that bridge. All those things seem much more real when you're by yourself.

For a long time I thought about that troll and it began to cross-pollinate into a lot of other ideas. One of them was the idea of how children become adults, what makes children into adults, how we change, and even the fact that our faces change. When your face changes, what is inside your head changes too, but it doesn't all happen at once. Here was a chance to go back and explore those feelings we had as children: the fears that keep popping up through adulthood. I thought of a way to bring every one of them in. That's what "It" is.

Frankenstein is in this book; Wolfman is in this book; Jaws is in the city canal. This kid has been beaten up by his father and he's sitting by the canal dangling his feet over the side into the water. He sees this white fin-Dum Dum, Dum, Dum ... It gets him and eats him up. The Mummy is in it, too. It's wonderful. Everything is in it, so it's sort of an epic horror movie in book form.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Depending on how mature she is for her age Carrie might be a good read since it's basically about what she herself is probably going through in becoming a teenager.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Thank you so much for digging up and transcribing that interview. Its really interesting to see how the basic germ of the story mutated and developed over time.

On a related note I was reading through the stories in Nightshift and its striking how some of them seem to hint at themes that he'd focus on in IT. The story 'Sometime's They Come Back' and 'The Boogy Man' both seem to have similar motif's or themes for instance.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ariza posted:

I think the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon would be fine for a 12 year old. I'm assuming you want a book that is somewhat scary without sex or rape scenes. If that's too much, there's always Christopher Pike!

I read this around that age and hated it. It's way too boring.

I would go for Eyes of the Dragon. Carrie might be good if she's more mature.

It's been a long time so I wouldn't unless someone else confirms, but I think Firestarter was pretty good for that age.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I read Christine when I was 11 and read IT shortly afterward, but that's because my mom wasn't paying any attention, please do not let your child read IT.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon when I was fifteen. All I remember is that there were a lot of descriptions of the little girl being thirsty, getting bit by gnats and mosquitoes, and having diarrhea. A lot of descriptions of diarrhea. Which, in context of a survival scenario it makes sense, but poo poo, I really don't wanna read about diarrhea that much.

I read The Shining and 'Salem's Lot when I was 16, and liked them much more.

Besides the whole "she felt his seed oozing down her legs My Man MyManMyManMyMan" part and some implied homosexuality, I don't think the Shining is too vulgar. But I haven't read it in years.

My first attempt to read The Shining was when I was fourteen, and I read that section in stead of doing work in Bible class (I went to a private school). If that teacher caught you reading a book in class, he would pick it up and read exactly where you were out loud to the class. He didn't catch me reading, but the idea of him reading that to the class made me more uncomfortable instead of the actual text.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kingnothing posted:

I read this around that age and hated it. It's way too boring.

I would go for Eyes of the Dragon. Carrie might be good if she's more mature.

It's been a long time so I wouldn't unless someone else confirms, but I think Firestarter was pretty good for that age.

What about The Talisman? It's been a very long time since I've read it, but from what I remember, it wouldn't be inappropriate and has a young protagonist.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone spoil Under the Dome for me? I'm going to try to stay current on the show and I never finished the book but I'd like to be able to see stuff coming in the show.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
So I'm reading through Four Past Midnight, and just finished The Library Policeman, and man. I really could have done without having read that.

I was pretty loving confident that a certain chapter from IT was the grossest thing King had written, but the brutally explicit description of child molestation from the child's perspective in this one sure as hell takes the cake.

Lazarus Long
Dec 13, 2002

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone spoil Under the Dome for me? I'm going to try to stay current on the show and I never finished the book but I'd like to be able to see stuff coming in the show.

The entire down burns in an explosion of a meth-lab that was being run by some of the town's higher ups. The dome was from aliens, but not malevolent ones. They were like little kid aliens. Only a handful of people survive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

savinhill posted:

What about The Talisman? It's been a very long time since I've read it, but from what I remember, it wouldn't be inappropriate and has a young protagonist.

Eh, there's a lot of weird sex related stuff in the book that could give a younger reader a bad impression. Which is too bad because other than that its a good young adult story.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Lazarus Long posted:

The entire down burns in an explosion of a meth-lab that was being run by some of the town's higher ups. The dome was from aliens, but not malevolent ones. They were like little kid aliens. Only a handful of people survive.

drat, I need to get off my rear end and read the book. I did NOT see that first sentence coming. The rest of it I heard alot in this thread but oh man why can't the entire book just be about that first sentence.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
In the book, the explosion is described something like a nuclear explosion in a bubble. It's pretty awesome.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I caught the first episode this morning (yay on demand tv), it's a bit early to be sure but so far I think they made some good choices for casting.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Aatrek posted:

In the book, the explosion is described something like a nuclear explosion in a bubble. It's pretty awesome.
I think it's still, to date, one of the most vividly descriptive passages I've ever read.
Hell, it's worth it to skip to that point by itself.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The Berzerker posted:

I read Christine when I was 11 and read IT shortly afterward, but that's because my mom wasn't paying any attention, please do not let your child read IT.

I read IT when I was 12 and I'm glad I did. It's the perfect age for max amount of terrifying. It hooked me on Stephen King for life. One of the things I remember liking the most out of it back then was how real the kids sounded. The kids swore all the time, joked about sex, and didn't come off as idiots. Unlike every other kids story I've seen, these kids sounded like me and my friends. The first Ben chapter where he runs away from bullies and meets his first friends in his life is still my favorite chapter in the book. I still think it's more brilliant for the way it developed the friendships than anything to do with the horror.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I like Insomnia, there are still days when I'm on Netflix and get confused and hopeful for a second before remembering the movie Insomnia has nothing to do with the Stephen King book.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

juliuspringle posted:

drat, I need to get off my rear end and read the book. I did NOT see that first sentence coming. The rest of it I heard alot in this thread but oh man why can't the entire book just be about that first sentence.

Honestly you could just go read the Wikipedia entry for the book if you want to know all of the plot points, but they're probably going to change some of them for the show, especially because CBS hasn't decided if this is going to be a one-off 13 episode miniseries, or if they're going to turn it into a full series. If it does well and they decide to make it a series, they can't very well blow up the town and kill off a bunch of people right away so don't expect anything like that during these episodes.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I read IT when I was 12 and I'm glad I did. It's the perfect age for max amount of terrifying. It hooked me on Stephen King for life. One of the things I remember liking the most out of it back then was how real the kids sounded. The kids swore all the time, joked about sex, and didn't come off as idiots. Unlike every other kids story I've seen, these kids sounded like me and my friends. The first Ben chapter where he runs away from bullies and meets his first friends in his life is still my favorite chapter in the book. I still think it's more brilliant for the way it developed the friendships than anything to do with the horror.

I'm glad I did too but that doesn't mean I think it's good parenting to hand an 11 year old a book with a gross preteen sex scene in it, that's all I was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazarus Long
Dec 13, 2002

juliuspringle posted:

I like Insomnia, there are still days when I'm on Netflix and get confused and hopeful for a second before remembering the movie Insomnia has nothing to do with the Stephen King book.

I do this too. I also think Pacino would make an excellent Ralph Roberts.