Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I bought the Quest for Glory pack months ago but found it really hard to get into. The combat especially was a big :what: for me.

Planescape Torment finally "clicked" for me though. I'm knee deep in that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Commander Keenan posted:

Perhaps. The GOGs scheduled to be released for the rest of 2013 are impressive.

Wait, where is this schedule?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

ymgve posted:

Wait, where is this schedule?

Yeah I'm interested to see this too, I was trying to find it and came across a community wishlist that seems interesting, not sure how many games they've actually added as a result of it, however: http://www.gog.com/wishlist

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Based on their previous posts, I think Commander Keenan is a GOG employee, but I could be wrong.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Based on their previous posts, I think Commander Keenan is a GOG employee, but I could be wrong.

I test games for them. There's no public schedule.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Yeah I'm interested to see this too, I was trying to find it and came across a community wishlist that seems interesting, not sure how many games they've actually added as a result of it, however: http://www.gog.com/wishlist

My vote for Spellcross is still there, I hope that game makes it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Will I be missing much/anything significant if I play Quest for Glory 4 without having finished the third? Something about the third game never grabbed me even way back when it came out. The first game is one of my favourites of all time and I have loved replaying the second... But never got on to 4 or 5 due to not completing 3.

If I remember right they were originally only planning to make 4 Quest for Glory's (1,2,4,5) QFG3 was kinda inserted in. The games are pretty stand alone I think the only game that loses anything from not playing any of the previous is QFG5 but all the others really only have a few references here and there. In all honesty as far as QFG4 is concerned QFG2 is really the only game that has stuff happen/information relevant to QFG4 (remember 4 was supposed to come after 2). QFG4 was the first one of the series I played and I loved it so much I went back and did the others.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

choobs posted:

I'll second all of these points. The first was really neat and had great atmosphere. The second had some great moments but, yeah, "video game-y" is a good description. You get a doggy sidekick off screen between games, there are a TON more "puzzles-for-the-sake-of-puzzles" than the previous game. That said, it also has a great atmosphere and supposedly Syberia 3 is coming out next year.

Just because I'm terribly anal about specifics, this isn't true. You free the youki from the brothers in the first village area and then it follows you afterwards.

I'd say the Syberia games are probably one of the better point and click adventures you could play. They're both wonderfully imaginative, filled with fantastic characters, terrific music, and a great sense of visual style. Just that they're still point and click adventures so that comes with all the caveats that usually comes with the genre. The second does lose some of the wonder that the first game has but it still has all the elements that made the first great.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Syberia is possibly the only game to actually make me angry when I played it. Something about it just gets my goat. I hated the setting, the characters and the locations. I just don't get the love for it. Different strokes I guess. :shrug:

So is Resonance any good?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hank Morgan posted:

Yes, yes it is. I'd suggest getting all the Wadjet Eye games if you haven't when that Daily Deal for them comes back.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Resonance is my favourite of the Wadjet Eye bundle. The Blackwell ones are neat and atmospheric, but there's some puzzles that are kinda silly and there's a bit too much tedious wandering about in the earlier ones. I couldn't get into Gemini Rue for some reason.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Hank Morgan posted:

Syberia is possibly the only game to actually make me angry when I played it. Something about it just gets my goat. I hated the setting, the characters and the locations. I just don't get the love for it. Different strokes I guess. :shrug:

Resonance is spectacular, so is Primordia. I really liked Gemini Rue, but I thought the others were better.

Kibayasu posted:

Just because I'm terribly anal about specifics, this isn't true. You free the youki from the brothers in the first village area and then it follows you afterwards.

I'd say the Syberia games are probably one of the better point and click adventures you could play. They're both wonderfully imaginative, filled with fantastic characters, terrific music, and a great sense of visual style. Just that they're still point and click adventures so that comes with all the caveats that usually comes with the genre. The second does lose some of the wonder that the first game has but it still has all the elements that made the first great.

Thanks, it's been so long I guess I remembered that wrong!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I agree that Syberias have great atmosphere and beautiful art but I didn't like their puzzle/gameplay design. There's very few hotspots and tons of empty screens you have to run through while trying to figure out whatever the game wants you to do.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Pegnose Pete posted:

I bought the Quest for Glory pack months ago but found it really hard to get into. The combat especially was a big :what: for me.

A common problem across Qfg 1-3 is the combat just doesnt have enough animation frames. You get one short frame to react to an attack, and if you do dodge in time there is still a dice roll in the background that depends on your char skill. So at the start of the game dodging or not you still basically get hit & it can become frustrating.

Eventually you can take on 3-4 monsters per day with ease, but at the start you will struggle to kill 1.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Part 4 meanwhile, plays like Street Fighter with your Thief ripping off Blanka and spells being chargeable :black101:

Part 5 was click mans. But at least you could finally punch someone to death if you so chose.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Pegnose Pete posted:

Planescape Torment finally "clicked" for me though. I'm knee deep in that now.

God, how I envy you right now.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Actually played games instead of buying them last weekend.

Finished Gabriel Knight 2 and uh... Well I actually enjoyed it for the most part. The acting is horrible and for some reason someone at Sierra thought maze-puzzles are fun. The thing is I enjoyed it for totally different reasons than GK1. In GK1 I loved the characters and the mood, but the plot was a silly and I the voodoo stuff didn't really catch my interest. In GK2 I liked all the Bavarian history and Wagner and Ludwig II stuff but if there were any good characters they were buried under the lovely acting. Gabriel had zero personality but he wasn't offensively bad. The actors playing Grace and Gerde, though. God drat were they horrible. They had one scene where they had to show any overt emotion and overacted so badly it made stuff like Birdemic look good.

Onwards to GK3. So far the UI is horrible and the camera a nightmare but Tim Curry as Gabriel is more than making up for it. drat I love that over the top accent.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So all those sales that went up on friday are all the ones that will come up during the summer sale, right? It feels incredibly cheap waiting for System Shock 2 to be 80% off instead of 50% but I know I will hit myself for buying for a higher price than I have to.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, thats correct. Theres probably a good chance that they'll have another day (presumably the final one) where all of the offers go up at once.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

So all those sales that went up on friday are all the ones that will come up during the summer sale, right? It feels incredibly cheap waiting for System Shock 2 to be 80% off instead of 50% but I know I will hit myself for buying for a higher price than I have to.

Just think of it as a wink and an extended hand towards all of us asshats who sit all :allears:-like waiting for the next set of bargains, wallets in hand.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Warning: 60 of the 50%-off titles (the Interplay, Square-Enix, Bohemia and Capcom games) will be reverting to full price in roughly 24 hours!

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

I saw this and got worried and bought Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business instead of just the regular game, I am an idiot and I've spent the allowance of money I was giving myself for this sale. :argh:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Regarding Resonance, was I the only one that was consistently pissed off with the shockingly frustrating Short Term Memory system?
Everytime I got stuck it was because the game wanted me to mention something to someone and a lot of them weren't immediately logical.
It really put a dampener on it for me.

Gemini Rue was utterly ruined by it's shooting system.

Blackwell's problem is often it's voice acting. The third one is basically "every puzzle is solved by searching for it on Oogle"

I think Wadjet Eye games are okay, but they all seem to have some glaring flaw that ruins the fun.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Reminder: Startopia owns owns owns and is on that list. Buy that thing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

scamtank posted:

Reminder: Startopia owns owns owns and is on that list. Buy that thing.

Seriously. Throw the widescreen patch at it, and it could pass for a modern indie release. Such a good game.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

God drat, you guys are right. Startopia is really fun and I love the way the whole station has a giant cylindrical shape that even skews the perspective of the screen. Never seen a sim game do that before.

Oh, and it has Red Dwarf shoutouts which is always nice (Skuzzers are 2 letters off from being called Skutters)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Is Total Overdose decent? It's also on the list of titles that will go back to normal price soon.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Baby Sathanas posted:

Regarding Resonance, was I the only one that was consistently pissed off with the shockingly frustrating Short Term Memory system?
Everytime I got stuck it was because the game wanted me to mention something to someone and a lot of them weren't immediately logical.
It really put a dampener on it for me.

Gemini Rue was utterly ruined by it's shooting system.

Blackwell's problem is often it's voice acting. The third one is basically "every puzzle is solved by searching for it on Oogle"

I think Wadjet Eye games are okay, but they all seem to have some glaring flaw that ruins the fun.

Regarding Resonance, the Short Term Memory was a little frustrating on the first playthrough. I took to putting almost everything in there. I felt it usually made sense after the fact and it didn't detract from my games.

I found the shooting system was really easy once I realized I just needed to not get fancy and go for the long messy kill instead of the awesome headshot. I played through twice and the first two gun battles on the first playthrough was the only time I felt frustrated.

I haven't played the Blackwell games yet, so I can't comment on that.

It's also worth noting that all those games are published by Wadjet Eye, not developed, so each of those games were developed/written/designed by completely different teams.

Different strokes for different folks I guess though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Is Total Overdose decent? It's also on the list of titles that will go back to normal price soon.

It's like a crossbreed between Max Payne and Grand Theft Auto but the elements aren't as good as either. Or perhaps you can compare it to a more pared down Just Cause (not JC2, the first one). I enjoyed it when it came out but there are many more games I would recommend over it now.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

duckfarts posted:

I remembered it being better than it was, I played it again recently and aside from a great soundtrack and hilarious vehicle-ejection-shenanigans... I'd avoid it and stick with Just Cause 2 if you have it.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

choobs posted:

It's also worth noting that all those games are published by Wadjet Eye, not developed, so each of those games were developed/written/designed by completely different teams.

I can't speak for Gemini Rue, but if you listen to the commentary for Resonance you realise that Wadjet did a lot more than sell it. They pretty much half finished the game in the last year of it's development.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Since GOG presumably blew its sale load the other day, would it be prudent to just go and buy, say, the Wing Commander games considering that they weren't featured at all in any of those deals?

EDIT: Will buy then, thanks!

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 24, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cross-Section posted:

Since GOG presumably blew its sale load the other day, would it be prudent to just go and buy, say, the Wing Commander games considering that they weren't featured at all in any of those deals?
Yes, all the Daily Deals were on that day, so any game that wasn't a part of a deal isn't getting any cheaper.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Nefarious posted:

God, how I envy you right now.

If it's any consolation I can't get into Baldur's Gate 2 no matter how hard I try.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

choobs posted:

The Blackwell series is developed by Wadget Eye. The Shivah is an earlier Wadget Eye developed game that I've not tried yet, looks interesting. The main guy at Wadget, Dave Gilbert also did a bunch of freeware AGS stuff before going commercial.

Also the Blackwell series is pretty good! Every adventure game fan should get them.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Speaking of Blackwell, the last game in the series (for now?) is in full development.

http://indiestatik.com/2013/02/20/the-blackwell-epiphany-announced-will-be-the-longest-and-darkest-in-the-series/

I can't wait. It looks it's going to be good.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I saw this and got worried and bought Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business instead of just the regular game, I am an idiot and I've spent the allowance of money I was giving myself for this sale. :argh:

Send them an email, you can probably get it exchanged for vanilla JA2. I assume you are going for the 1.13 mod?

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

Megadyptes posted:

The Blackwell series is developed by Wadget Eye. The Shivah is an earlier Wadget Eye developed game that I've not tried yet, looks interesting. The main guy at Wadget, Dave Gilbert also did a bunch of freeware AGS stuff before going commercial.

Also the Blackwell series is pretty good! Every adventure game fan should get them.

The Blackwell games are easily my favorite from Wadjet Eye. While other stuff may have a more interesting premise, Blackwell's subdued writing shines. It's nice to see character arcs play out across the games as well.

I've seen screenshots of the upcoming game and oh god I love the background art.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Anybody know where to find a list of all the games and packs that will be on sale this time around? I seem to have missed the day when all the sales were up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

uPen, talking about King of Dragon Pass posted:

It's basically the best magical barbarian cow farming simulator ever made and is easily worth 10x what they're charging.

Well I tried it, and it really is the best magical barbarian cow farming simulator I've ever played.