Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

He's just a chi-town nigga with a Nas flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Kanye 'keep[s] it 300 like the Romans' because he, like the Romans, was influenced by Greek culture but lives in decadence.

The Spartans didn't need to keep it 300 because they were the 300.

He then says, via the condom pun, that the 300 are bitches and asks for Trojans, when Troy was the enemy of Sparta because King Menelaus' wife was seduced by Paris of Troy.

After the Trojan War, the surviving Trojans moved to Italy and founded Rome(!).

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Kanye 'keep[s] it 300 like the Romans' because he, like the Romans, was influenced by Greek culture but lives in decadence.

The Spartans didn't need to keep it 300 because they were the 300.

He then says, via the condom pun, that the 300 are bitches and asks for Trojans, when Troy was the enemy of Sparta because King Menelaus' wife was seduced by Paris of Troy.

After the Trojan War, the surviving Trojans moved to Italy and founded Rome(!).

Not that any of us really questioned Ye's paleoanthropological credentials, but thanks for clearing this up for the non-believers.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
The credited "Yeezus" Part 1: the Songwriters

http://www.spin.com/articles/kanye-west-yeezus-songwriting-credits-samples/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

quote:

slideshow
Die in hell Spin

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Thoogsby posted:

e: also every bad kanye line is excused by mayonnaise colored benz i push miracle whips

A couple pages old, but the best line in any Kanye song is actually a Paul Wall bar from Drive Slow: "The disco ball in my mouth insinuates I'm ballin." This is undebatable.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Die in hell Spin

lol it doesn't even work in chrome

pretty great that salem got a credit but not future

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

atrus50 posted:

the updated body count of people who have been shipped to paris/london/hawaii/los angeles for LP6

Lupe Fiasco
Mos Def x
A$AP Rocky
The Heatmakerz
Hudson MoHawke
Jeff Bhasker x
Rick Ross x
Azealia Banks x
88-Keys
Mr Hudson x
Daft Punk
The-Dream x
Burial x
Zomby x
Justice x
Diplo x
M.I.A. x
LMFAO x
Cassius x
Jay Electronica x
Swedish House Mafia
Detail x
James Blake x
S1
Skrillex x
Mannie Fresh x
Theophilus London x
Florence Welch x
2 Chainz x
Future x
Ellie Goulding x
Jadakiss x
No I.D.
Hit-Boy x
KeY Wane x
System of a Down x
Justin Bieber x
Frank Ocean
Tyler, The Creator x
TNGHT
RZA
Young Chop
Chief Keef
Will Smith x
D'Banj x

haha look at all those people that got cut

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

trigger9631 posted:

Definitely one of my favorite parts as well. The first 3.5 songs are so aggressive, and then right when the Frank Ocean section hits in the middle of New Slaves there's a very distinct shift in musical tone for the rest of the album. Really cool transition.

I actually stop listening to the album at that point. The Frank Ocean part itself and the weird contrasts leading up to it are awesome, but the rest is take it or leave it.

Professor Funk posted:

A couple pages old, but the best line in any Kanye song is actually a Paul Wall bar from Drive Slow: "The disco ball in my mouth insinuates I'm ballin." This is undebatable.

Aaaaaa

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 23, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

atrus50 posted:

haha look at all those people that got cut

I can't believe we didn't get a Kanye/Burial track :negative:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Are you agreeing or disagreeing (I don't see how this is possible)

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

No, I just heard it, its fantastic

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
His Barry Bonds verse is one of my favorite of anyone of all time. It's perfect.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I can't believe we didn't get a Kanye/Burial track :negative:

Yeah that was my biggest disappointment.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

Paul Wall's whole goddamn verse is perfect on that track.

It's a star-studded event when I valet park
Open up my mouth and sunlight illuminates the dark
You see them 4's crawling, you see them screens falling
The disco ball in my mouth insinuates I'm balling
I'm leaning on a switch sitting crooked in my slab
But I could still catch boopas if I drove a cab
A young Houston hard hitter all about the scrilla
Riding some candy coated crawling like a caterpillar
I'm tipping on those 4's I'm jamming off this screw
I'm looking for them hoes baby what it do?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Similar to an ant I'm crawlin low to the Earth.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Rick Ross has a pretty sweet verse in Devil In A New Dress.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I really like Yeezus but I don't believe people will like it more than MBDTF a year from now.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

Paul Wall's whole goddamn verse is perfect on that track.

It's a star-studded event when I valet park
Open up my mouth and sunlight illuminates the dark
You see them 4's crawling, you see them screens falling
The disco ball in my mouth insinuates I'm balling
I'm leaning on a switch sitting crooked in my slab
But I could still catch boopas if I drove a cab
A young Houston hard hitter all about the scrilla
Riding some candy coated crawling like a caterpillar
I'm tipping on those 4's I'm jamming off this screw
I'm looking for them hoes baby what it do?

Yup. Don't like Paul Wall at all but this verse is perfect.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Guys I don't know if you know this but there are Kanye verses that are jokes because they get things wrong. See also:

Prince Williams ain't do it right if you ask me/
I woulda married Kate and Ashley

E: Really, guys the Kanye verse on anything is usually pretty god drat great.

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 24, 2013

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The same people that tried to blackball me
Forgot about two things, my black balls, yeah

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

webmeister posted:

The same people that tried to blackball me
Forgot about two things, my black balls, yeah

I literally laughed at that line for the entire rest of the song the first time I listened to that album.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
This a ghetto opera, Francis Foreign Car Coppola

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

AwwJeah posted:

This a ghetto opera, Francis Foreign Car Coppola

Thanks for pointing this out, until now I had always heard it as "Francis Ford Co-copolla" and it bugged the poo poo out of me. Now the line actually sounds clever and makes sense.

Can't say the same for "costra nostra" unfortunately :smith:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I treat the cash the way the government treats AIDS
I won't be satisfied til all my niggas get it, get it?

Not really a pun, but still the best line.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Now, is it real love, I need to ask Cupid
She real smart but her rear end stupid

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

illcendiary posted:

Thanks for pointing this out, until now I had always heard it as "Francis Ford Co-copolla" and it bugged the poo poo out of me. Now the line actually sounds clever and makes sense.

Can't say the same for "costra nostra" unfortunately :smith:

I'm pretty sure he says Cop-copolla.

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34hHBsmSYJ0

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The line is "Francis Ford car coppola" because the Ford Caprice is still the most ubiquitous car used by US cops.

Not his most clever line but Francis foreign car coppola makes even less sense...

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I thought I said the best line in a Kanye song was undebatable? :colbert:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

thathonkey posted:

The line is "Francis Ford car coppola" because the Ford Caprice is still the most ubiquitous car used by US cops.

Not his most clever line but Francis foreign car coppola makes even less sense...

Chevrolet made the Caprice, not Ford.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Chevrolet made the Caprice, not Ford.

Oops I meant Crown Vic (Interceptor), my bad

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

From the DEHH review, who's the "Blackie" group or MC that the guy is talking about in conjunction with Death Grips?

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

From the DEHH review, who's the "Blackie" group or MC that the guy is talking about in conjunction with Death Grips?
Haven't watched that video, but it's likely this B L A C K I E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlaTToeWDHA

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I really like Yeezus but I don't believe people will like it more than MBDTF a year from now.

This is the conclusion I'm getting as well. I am a God, Blood on the Leaves, and Bound 2 are all some of my favorite Kanye songs, but Dark Fantasy is still his crown jewel. It's better produced, more cohesive, and every song has its own identity (moreso then on Yeezus anyway).

I feel like Kanye is trying to produce an album for every major emotion someone might feel, and therefore you will never have to listen to anything other than his music.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

reflex posted:

This is the conclusion I'm getting as well. I am a God, Blood on the Leaves, and Bound 2 are all some of my favorite Kanye songs, but Dark Fantasy is still his crown jewel. It's better produced, more cohesive, and every song has its own identity (moreso then on Yeezus anyway).

I feel like Kanye is trying to produce an album for every major emotion someone might feel, and therefore you will never have to listen to anything other than his music.

Anxiously looking forward to his "ennui" and his "deja-vu" album (which is just The College Dropout but louder or something, I don't know).

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I could do with a dubstep album.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
After listening to the album a lot I still really like it, but you can definitely tell Kanye rushed the poo poo out of it (even confirmed in interviews). I wish he took a little more time to finish it because while it sounds great a lot of the lyrics are still bad but whatever its Kanye. The album is still a lot of fun to listen to and while its not really anything new, its pretty cool that Kanye went this direction.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
The big disappointment from the list of people cut is that Future didn't end up on this album. Future would have been perfect on some of these beats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wario Kart 64 posted:

The big disappointment from the list of people cut is that Future didn't end up on this album. Future would have been perfect on some of these beats

I'm assuming after people get some more time to take it in we'll get remixes and stuff, so there's a good chance he might still end up on some of the beats!

And even if it wasn't "rushed", I don't think that it would've been Kanye's lyrics that would've changed much. He's always been average at best as a rapper with the ability to come up with some clever lines, and some really loving corny lines and that's what he is here. He just sells it a lot better than most rappers can (be it charisma, obliviousness, or whatever) and has the musical chops to surround his lines with top-notch production.

• Locked thread