Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The problem lies with them matching you up by level and not your rating. My attack and defence are both around 72k, and one round I'll fight someone over 100k and get my rear end handed to me, then next I'll fight someone in the 40k range and one shot everybody. The matchmaking needs work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

VextheGrey posted:

Yeah, something about the matchmaking is bonkers. I wake up every morning now to a steady increase due to low point wins (and a huge increase if there are no losses), and just now during my attack I got someone 500 points lower than I am, for a whopping 2 point win.

Meanwhile, I've only had one defensive fight the entire season. Something is definitely weird.

Opopanax posted:

The problem lies with them matching you up by level and not your rating. My attack and defence are both around 72k, and one round I'll fight someone over 100k and get my rear end handed to me, then next I'll fight someone in the 40k range and one shot everybody. The matchmaking needs work

They're never going to start matching people based on attack/defense bonus, or people wouldn't have a reason to spend gold on items to boost attack/defense.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The secret to defense is to realize that you will never win at defense and hopefully stop giving a poo poo. Put together a team that will win reliably on offense without losing too catastrophically on defense, save up on those extra battle token things, and climb as high you can in the last few hours of each tournament.

I should have mentioned that while P5 Emma + Iron Patriot is one of the absolute best offensive teams, it sucks a fat one on defense, so you should only use it to burn through your five free daily matches to get your roulettes.

A team of Rescue + Omega Sentinel mitigates a decent amount of rating loss when you're on defense, but I have some doubts as to whether it's actually as great as people make out. That team requires a bit of set-up to truly get rolling, and the AI is just too dumb to reliably do any of that for you. For example, the reason P5 Emma + Iron Patriot doesn't work on defense is that the AI will regularly pop Iron Patriot's L9 to buff the poo poo out of his next attack... and then follow up with his L1, which scarcely benefits from the buffs. Black Widow also suffers from this affliction - her L9 can turn her into a one-shot murder machine, but the AI will inexplicably avoid attacking the debuffed character!

I find myself gravitating towards characters that fall into one of two groups: either those that the AI can play "intelligently" (Shadowcat, WC Phoenix), or ones with few situational attacks so the AI can't gently caress up too badly (Magneto, Juggernaut, Rescue).

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Sefer posted:

Meanwhile, I've only had one defensive fight the entire season. Something is definitely weird.

I was having them, but for the past four days, nothing.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Sefer posted:

VextheGrey posted:

Yeah, something about the matchmaking is bonkers. I wake up every morning now to a steady increase due to low point wins (and a huge increase if there are no losses), and just now during my attack I got someone 500 points lower than I am, for a whopping 2 point win.

Wachter posted:

The secret to defense is to realize that you will never win at defense and hopefully stop giving a poo poo.

Are we all playing different games? For the last three days I've had a crazy amount of defensive wins (and judging from the points per match, against much weaker opponents), but 8 times out of 10 on offense, I'm facing teams rated 250-500 points higher than me and getting completely clowned.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 24, 2013

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Mary Annette posted:

Are we all playing different games?

It's entirely possible. Are you on Facebook or Playdom?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is Tactician Dr. Strange still loving broken? I used to absolutely murder people with him and blue-suit Quicksilver but then I ended up quitting after I realised I spent 50 real dollars to attempt to get Magneto and that didn't work and PvP being a cesspool of bullshit when I should have been actually studying and spending my money on school and living.

I don't suppose the game has gotten much better in the 4 months since I left?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Matchmaking keeps putting me up against blatant cheaters or spendtards. Every character except one or two are at level 12 and they have EVERY character. Their attack and defense is about 40k higher than mine. I even fought one guy who already had a loving Shepherd's Staff.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Wachter posted:

It's entirely possible. Are you on Facebook or Playdom?

Facebook. And I've just gone 1-for-15 on offense today. :(

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Something is very wrong with PVP right now. Its putting me up against players who have scores in the 1400s while I'm around 900 due to huge defensive losses that the Battle Reports isn't displaying (it says "pending battle history updates" in grey)

And I can't say this enough. gently caress Rescue. Her magnetic bullshit shouldn't trigger on stealthy and psychic attacks.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

With all this talk of PVP being more imbalanced than ever before, I'm starting to think that this Facebook game is a coldly calculated trap designed not only to pressure us into making meaningless purchases, but to frustrate and belittle us at every turn and waste hours upon hours of the free time that, more and more, is seldom afforded to us.

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob
So I'm still low level but I just bought human torch like every other person I've ever seen.

What do I do in pvp when it's down to torch vs torch? It's been 10 minutes and I'm pretty sure neither of us are going to die ever

Mr. Big
Sep 26, 2006

BONK!

TotallyUnoriginal posted:

So I'm still low level but I just bought human torch like every other person I've ever seen.

What do I do in pvp when it's down to torch vs torch? It's been 10 minutes and I'm pretty sure neither of us are going to die ever

Refresh, if you value your time at all. Try to take out Torch first in future matches to avoid this situation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something is seriously wrong with pvp. I won 5 matches in a row with relative ease.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

twistedmentat posted:

Something is seriously wrong with pvp. I won 5 matches in a row with relative ease.

PvP had some sort of glitch/reset/fubar/snafu thing happen in the past few hours. People are losing crazy amounts of points for no apparent reason.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I just lost 199 rating after not getting attacked yet this tourney, I assume the reset was because people like me weren't having their defenses counted or something.

I think I'm out of this game until Season 2 starts.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

They've just released the list of season 2 heroes on Facebook. I can finally start building my Alpha Flight! :canada:

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

Esplanade posted:

They've just released the list of season 2 heroes on Facebook. I can finally start building my Alpha Flight! :canada:

Where? I don't see the list anywhere

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=383614561738360&set=pb.249731071793377.-2207520000.1372189807.&type=3&theater

E: Welp, people are saying it's fake. The artwork definitely doesn't match the house style.

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 25, 2013

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The ultimate punishment for running Rescue and Omega is fighting another Rescue and Omega team. Hope you weren't going anywhere!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Esplanade posted:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=383614561738360&set=pb.249731071793377.-2207520000.1372189807.&type=3&theater

E: Welp, people are saying it's fake. The artwork definitely doesn't match the house style.

Awww, too bad. I was looking forward to the Night Trasher.

Except that was supposed to be Night Thrasher. Definitely fake.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Okay Constrictor you've thrown one Lvl 1 attack and taken no damage I don't think it's time for a shwarma break what are you union or something.

And we're now way late on Season 2. I don't think anyone, Playdom included, knows when it's going to launch now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

C. Everett Koop posted:

Okay Constrictor you've thrown one Lvl 1 attack and taken no damage I don't think it's time for a shwarma break what are you union or something.

And we're now way late on Season 2. I don't think anyone, Playdom included, knows when it's going to launch now.

Now that you've said that, it will launch tonight.

What the gently caress? Red Skull has 10% left, but the first turn he MCs everyone, second turn summons and then 3rd turn turns into a brusier. Then flees on the 5th turn. Is he playing pvp or something?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I'm guessing they must be busy putting out PvP-related fires. In addition to the matchmaking weirdness, apparently some people got Red Hulk for no good reason and that still isn't fixed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The kitty/jean or IP/mk42 combos seem to be really working out for me. Thanks for the tips on using Shadowcat properly, and the two suits are just so brutal. Get the right order and you can just destroy a team.

Does Shatterstar ever become good? Or is he just a middling scrapper? I'm finding that with more isos and higher levels on Wonderman, he's actually fairly useful.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

twistedmentat posted:

The kitty/jean or IP/mk42 combos seem to be really working out for me. Thanks for the tips on using Shadowcat properly, and the two suits are just so brutal. Get the right order and you can just destroy a team.

Does Shatterstar ever become good? Or is he just a middling scrapper? I'm finding that with more isos and higher levels on Wonderman, he's actually fairly useful.

Wonderman's very useful, though making the most of his level 9 depends on where he is in turn order (if he's not early on in the turn, he'll only get one extra turn). Shatterstar gets ok- his level 9 sets him up to use his level 2 and 6 on an opponent the next turn, which kills or seriously injures most bosses; it's just problematic since by the time you set it up you often don't need it. None of his tricks are going to make him a good PVP character, so middling scrapper is probably a good assessment.

Cyclops and Magik got an update, along with Jean's Phoenix 5 costume. No new costumes for them, but some nice boosts. Magik's level 1 and 9 both generate Soul Charge now, which should make building up the other two a little easier.

They split Paragon Exploiter into two buffs; PE now just targets the 4 stat debuffs, combo setup, and stun, while a new buff targets all the DoTs.

Edit: Also, Wonder Man appears bugged- his Wonder Never Ceases triggers even if he doesn't protect, even on counter attacks against another member of his team. Makes him good on defense until it's fixed.

Sefer fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 26, 2013

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
There's also a message on the Marvel XP page that says the 6/18 date for Season 2 shouldn't have gone public and they're aiming for a July release. SDCC is the middle of the month, smart money has them announcing a date then.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I really like his ability to exploit shields/protect. It makes Rescue using her defensive abilities a whole lot less annoying when you know Shatterstar is most likely going to straight up murder her on his next turn. He also makes short work of Iron Patriot most of the time.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
New patch is out and Cyclops got a crazy buff.

Changelog here.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
gently caress it, should I get Cyclop's Blaster outfit or stick to Tactician? Tactician feels like the smarter choice, but I just have so many tacticians...

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I just have so many tacticians...

So does everyone else, so why would you get a blaster?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Phoenix Cyclops gives everyone a chance to crit and ignore enemy defense, so getting a Blaster Cyclops would kinda make his ability redundant for himself. Also, with Tactician Cyclops you can set up your own combo against Blasters with Exploit Weakness --> Optic Blast.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I did say Tactician was the smarter option! Went with it.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Eddain posted:

Phoenix Cyclops gives everyone a chance to crit and ignore enemy defense, so getting a Blaster Cyclops would kinda make his ability redundant for himself. Also, with Tactician Cyclops you can set up your own combo against Blasters with Exploit Weakness --> Optic Blast.

This. His Phoenix power gives him the critical hits thing, so it's a waste to go for the blaster alt.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mk42 tac and P5 Scott tac took down a Red Skull with 60% health. It was pretty awesome.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
How can you make Rescue bleed, Black Cat, she is covered in armour!

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I hate how some of the missions only open after you've recruited __ number of heroes. I want to go into the fourth chapter but I need to recruit my seventh hero. I want to save for Union Jack or Hercules but I need like 60 more command points for either. Any really good characters for around 30 points I can get in the meantime?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ServoMST3K posted:

I hate how some of the missions only open after you've recruited __ number of heroes. I want to go into the fourth chapter but I need to recruit my seventh hero. I want to save for Union Jack or Hercules but I need like 60 more command points for either. Any really good characters for around 30 points I can get in the meantime?

Grab some 15 point heroes. They're all solid and if you can nab Cyke's P5 Tact outfit you'll have someone you can run with for a while.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Yeah, I was thinking of grabbing his P5 outfit, it looks way better than his default tactician outfit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

How to fix Rescue who has completely ruined this pvp season:

Make a hero/agent weapon that applies a debuff that deals Mental Anguish-level damage if it's removed. Call it psychic grenade or something.

Playdumb hire me plz

• Locked thread