Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
My ex used to clip Charlie's claws because she was more used to cats and not as chicken poo poo as I am. She could only maybe do a paw at a time before Charlie would have none of it. Since I got Charlie I managed to clip three of her nails without scaring the poo poo out of myself, but annoying her.

I am taking Charlie to meet my boss tomorrow, as my boss is going to take care of her while I am on vacation for three weeks. My boss has two younger kids (5-8) and I don't know how Charlie will react with them, so I really wanted to at least get her front paws. I kept trying to clip but Charlie wouldn't have it. Just now out of annoyance I 'Burrito'd' her in a blanket, covered up one paw, clipped the other, repeat with the other claw.

It worked wonders, and she purred the whole time.

So I have no idea how that happened, but if anyone is in similar straits I suggest trying it at least! She didn't even try to struggle or bite me as she did when I tried without the blanket. Before I take her over tomorrow I'll try to burrito her backwards and get the back paws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
So I feel lovely.

Arthur had his annual vaccinations this morning. Not only did we scare the poo poo out of him trying to get him into his crate (he only drew blood on me) but he has a "rather horrible" infestation of ear mites. I've done a bit of reading up since we got home (my Mrs went in the examination room with him as I stayed with our duaghter) so I'm not completely blind when it comes to the condition but I just feel horrible because we have noticed he was scratching his left ear a lot and didn't think too much of it we could have done something about it sooner. I know it's only a minor thing compared to some things in this thread, but I still feel like an rear end.

Fortunately we got home and let him out and he went off to hide under the baby's cot upstairs while we went to her swimming sessions. I think this was the best thing for him as he had come out and eaten when we had got back and he was glaring at us from the doorway of what ever room we were in. Pretty sure he was poised for an escape should he need to, coupled with a completely pissed off stare.

My fiance and I have just applied his ear medication and this is where I need some advice. She held him, I applied the ear drops. I have to stop him from shaking his head and spraying ear juice everywhere. IS there a good way to hold him without doing him any damage and causing him too much stress? She had him between her legs but I needed to move his head around to massage the drops into the ear canal. Needless to say that we have used half a bottle of the stuff already. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

He looked so scared cowering away from me after I had done it :(

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Blinks posted:

My fiance and I have just applied his ear medication and this is where I need some advice. She held him, I applied the ear drops. I have to stop him from shaking his head and spraying ear juice everywhere. IS there a good way to hold him without doing him any damage and causing him too much stress? She had him between her legs but I needed to move his head around to massage the drops into the ear canal. Needless to say that we have used half a bottle of the stuff already. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

http://www.wikihow.com/Hold-a-Cat-by-the-Scruff

Have you tried it on a table instead of the floor? If you scruff him then lay him on his side he might be easier to handle.

If he's between your fiance's legs, she is actually in a good position to apply the medication herself. She can pin him down in a prone position and scruff him at the same time with one hand while applying the meds with the other. You can keep him occupied by tapping his nose or forehead, and or even grabbing both his forelegs so he can't flip out and claw you. If either of you think you're losing a grip on him and he's freaking out just let him go to run off into a corner until he calms down. It's not worth getting your eyes or face mauled by a panicked cat, or having your hands swell up from infection when he bites you.

I have first hand experience with botching a cat hold with an angry kitty, it really sucked and it hurt really bad. I have minor nerve damage and a scar from a single tooth to the wrist so try and avoid getting bit if at all possible.

If you can't do it yourself safely, take him into the vet and have them do it, or show you how to do it properly.

As for spraying ear juice everywhere, sometimes having them shake their head is a good thing when cleaning the ears since it helps dislodge mite residue, dirt and wax. If it's expensive ear medication though, you may want to get him calmer/still before you apply it.

Blinks posted:

He looked so scared cowering away from me after I had done it :(

He'll get over it. I've trimmed my own cat's claws and helped do all sorts of horrifying medical procedures on them, blood draws, urine draws, and anal gland expressions. Real sinister stuff, you know? They were mad and got all pissy about it but forgave me after a few hours. Toss em a treat, or try to play with them later on and it'll be like it never happened.

Aelia
May 13, 2008
It's been a long while since I posted here, but...

We need a new cat litter. We've tried a couple (they were using TidyCat when we got them, and now we're using some cheap crap from Costco which has the right price, but is dusty as poo poo.)

I'm in California so we can't use flushable, and I live on the 3rd floor so anything that requires me to dump an entire litter box's worth at once is sort of out.

But otherwise, I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for value here, litter that works without a hefty price tag.

(I thought I had seen this discussed at length... somewhere. But now I can't find it, so pointing me in the right direction if it exists is also neat.)

Also, here are my fuzzballs. The ones who need new cat litter.

Blinks
May 9, 2004

Minarchist posted:

As for spraying ear juice everywhere, sometimes having them shake their head is a good thing when cleaning the ears since it helps dislodge mite residue, dirt and wax. If it's expensive ear medication though, you may want to get him calmer/still before you apply it.

He'll get over it. I've trimmed my own cat's claws and helped do all sorts of horrifying medical procedures on them, blood draws, urine draws, and anal gland expressions. Real sinister stuff, you know? They were mad and got all pissy about it but forgave me after a few hours. Toss em a treat, or try to play with them later on and it'll be like it never happened.

Thanks for the reply, Arthur is my first 'real' pet (I'm over 30, but only ever had goldfish and hamsters as a kid) so I'm still learning about all these things. Yeah it's £30 a bottle of the ear drop solution, which I think equates to about $47 a pop, looks like it will be an expensive few weeks.

He's currently hiding behind the wardrobe. Fortunately the draw is broken and stuck in the open position so we know where he is. Earlier he came for cuddles and fell asleep on the bed with the 3 of us which was nice. Now he has gone into hide and seek mode which is freaking my partner out who thinks he's gone off to hide in a safe place before he dies. Couple a worrier (her) with someone who knows a limited amount (me) and we are in for a fun time.

He's just grumpy and shocked from a pretty stressful time at the vets and with the drops. He'll come out tomorrow, normally such a chill cat.

Blinks
May 9, 2004

Aelia posted:

We need a new cat litter. We've tried a couple (they were using TidyCat when we got them, and now we're using some cheap crap from Costco which has the right price, but is dusty as poo poo.)

I'm in California so we can't use flushable, and I live on the 3rd floor so anything that requires me to dump an entire litter box's worth at once is sort of out.

But otherwise, I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for value here, litter that works without a hefty price tag.

(I thought I had seen this discussed at length... somewhere. But now I can't find it, so pointing me in the right direction if it exists is also neat.)

Thought about getting wooden litter? It's non clumping and is pretty good at covering smells. I live in the UK so can't offer any brands, but hope this helps.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Ratzap posted:

Are they rescue cats?

No, they are half sisters from two sequential litters (same mother) in upstate New York which my sister adopted when they were kittens. They've never faced food shortages. What bothers me most is Lucy's rapid change in behavior. She was always a pig, but she has gotten much worse since I moved two months ago. I fear that for whatever reason, she didn't take to this last move very well.

I tried a combination of things that seemed to help today. First, I bought them medicated treats at the store: hairball control for Ethel (she has bad hairball problems) and anxiety reducing treats for Lucy (they contain chamomile or something). They both gobbled them up. Afterwards, Lucy looked calmer than I've seen her in a while. She looked high as all hell and just chilled on the kitchen floor. When it was time for dinner, I put their bowls in separate rooms and locked them in. I watched Lucy eat, and while her first gulp was frenzied and accompanied by growling, she calmed down considerably after glancing over her should to see no other cat in sight.

I'm now a bit worried about Ethel. She's been having hairball problems roughly once every two-to-three days, and her appetite has dropped considerably. She seems completely chill and in no noticeable pain, but her appetite has just changed so suddenly that I'm concerned.

Aelia posted:

I swear by World's Best Cat Litter. Before I moved, mine were using TidyCat. I had tried others before only to run into problems with them making GBS threads outside the box because they didn't like it. But they seem to have fallen in love with World's Best and took to it right away. It clumps much better than other litters and is only marginally more expensive than others - well worth the price for how easy it is to clean up.

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 22, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm getting ready to take my cat on a fun fun airplane ride. :shepface: He already whines constantly when he's in his carrier. I'm taking JetBlue, and they have somewhat stringent standards for how big the carrier can be... I got the one they sell on their website, and poor Jet can't stand up in it :( I think he fits if he lies down, but it might be uncomfortable for him...

Basically, I need to:

1. Ask vet about sedatives/medications to make him less anxious
2. Make sure Jetblue knows I'm taking a pet

Also, I'll be introducing him to the family dog. Double :shepface. Blake, the dog, is like 12 years old and a lazy old fart, but he is a whippet. I know that dogs can sometimes bark at cats and whippets may have prey drive, but is that the case when you're indoors? I'm honestly more worried about Jet than Blake here, he does have somewhat sharp claws and I don't know how he is with dogs. :ohdear:

What would be the best way to introduce them? Do the whole quarantine-for-a-week dealio, switch off on who's allowed free reign, etc?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

I'm getting ready to take my cat on a fun fun airplane ride. :shepface: He already whines constantly when he's in his carrier. I'm taking JetBlue, and they have somewhat stringent standards for how big the carrier can be... I got the one they sell on their website, and poor Jet can't stand up in it :( I think he fits if he lies down, but it might be uncomfortable for him...

Basically, I need to:

1. Ask vet about sedatives/medications to make him less anxious
2. Make sure Jetblue knows I'm taking a pet

Make sure you check if JetBlue requires any documentation of vaccinations. I took my two cats with me on SouthWest and they required the vetrinarian to verify, in writing, what vaccines were up to date and if the cats had any symptoms of disease.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Aelia posted:

I heard someone mention Worlds Best already, which is really light to carry compared to your clays, being made from corn. Arm and Hammer has a corn based natural litter that I used for a long time and liked. I've heard really good things about the Blue Buffalo litter which is made from walnut shells. I have a cat that hated the natural corn type litters though and will pee outside the box because of it. They might be a good choice for you though if your cats like them since they are light weight, so easy to carry 3 floors up and down. I personally use and like Dr. Elsey's Ultra. It is a clay litter though.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

l33t b4c0n posted:

I'm now a bit worried about Ethel. She's been having hairball problems roughly once every two-to-three days, and her appetite has dropped considerably. She seems completely chill and in no noticeable pain, but her appetite has just changed so suddenly that I'm concerned.

I imagine you already have plans to do so, but just in case, please take her to the vet. Cats are really good at hiding pain/discomfort, and sometimes a depressed appetite is the first sign you get that something is wrong. A lot of relatively harmless things can cause a cat to eat less than usual, but you don't want to mess around with the more serious possibilities.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
So I've had this young kitten for about a week now and my 3 year old cat still won't so much as go near her. We've tried to keep them in separate rooms but opening the rooms for supervised visits. The older one will come in, sniff around, growl, and then leave. When the growling and/or hissing starts, the young kitten (6 weeks old now) gets scared and hides under a sofa chair in the room. Anyone got any tricks for getting these two by each other without craziness breaking loose? Really it's all on the 3 year old cat. The young one is genuinely interested in the older one, but the older one flat wants none of this nonsense.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

World's best has proven phenomenal for my cats pooping pleasure.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I need some ideas about my 17-18yo female spayed cat. She's 10.7lbs, went down about .5oz from last year I believe. She currently lives with my mother out of state, and my mother brings her to a sub-par veterinarian but I can't sway her opinion to bring her elsewhere. She's in chronic renal failure and gets 100mL of LRS every other day with famotidine as needed. She's been on fluids for close to 5 years now and is doing fantastic for the most part. She's got a great appetite, is pretty active for an old lady, and is totally with it. She's definitely arthritic so we offer her lots of comfy pillows to lie on and it seems to make her very happy.

Recently my mother noticed her going to the litter box more frequently and not producing much of anything. She also noticed her cleaning her crotch more frequently - way more frequently. She took her to the vet and they did a urinalysis and an X-ray that came back pretty inconclusive except that the vet saw something that looked like air in the bladder but wasn't able to tell and wants to do a re-check X-ray in a few days. UA wasn't exciting, labwork done was not exciting (I don't have copies of it, though I can probably get them by Monday). There was trace amounts of blood in the urine, but I figure it's from the cysto they did to obtain it.

Most notibly, her vulva was REALLY visibly irritated. She was also covered in urine on her backside. My mom has been cleaning her daily since Friday and it's improved a bit, but she's noticed that she's leaking urine and still cleaning obsessively. The vet said she definitely has urine scald but didn't prescribe her anything for it and didn't offer an e-collar, which I'm not entirely sure is the norm for a geriatric cat.

We're a bit confused about this as for her entire life she's been incredibly healthy. We understand she's older and the possibilities of cancer are high. The vet commented that she had a big gut, but she's always been kind of flabby, especially since she's lost some muscle mass around her spine and back. She does cry when we pick her up, but she has for about 2-3 years now and when we do pick her up she stretches out a bit, so we figured it was her arthritis. She's always been a talkative lady, too, so we didn't think much of it. Apparently there was nothing palpable in the abdomen because it wasn't brought it up, and the X-rays showed nothing as far as I know. The next steps will be either a recheck X-ray or an US, depending on what my mother decides.

Of course on my mind is cancer. I love my old lady but I know she won't live forever. I guess I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or opinions on what to do? I'm trying not to freak out but I love my old lady cat :(

Edit: Would pyelonephritis show up on a UA or urine culture? I feel like where I work if we suspect pyelonephritis we give antibiotics first. Would something like TCC show up on a UA at all?

Edit2: Additionally I want to add that the radiographs the vet took were the traditional kind with film, so they had to be developed. She also took the X-rays after drawing the urine and said air could have entered into the bladder that way? But I've never heard of that.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 23, 2013

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
I'd like to hear if anyone has any tips for getting rid of this habit my cat has. He likes to pull his food out of the bowl and eat it from the floor. He used to knock the entire bowl over until I got a holder for it and I'm using a boot tray to keep any bits of food inside the tray.

Ordinarily I'd be all whatevs let him eat off the floor if he wants to be weird, it's not hard to clean up even before I had the tray. The issue is he's been having what I believe is an allergic reaction that periodically has been making his lip swell a bit. It doesn't seem to affect his mood or appetite and he poops/pees fine so it's been more of a find the mystery allergy for a few months. After seeing a vet and trying various foods I think it's mostly a plastic issue. The swelling appears less when the food is not chicken based, but it was terrible when I had a plastic bowl for him. Now with a metal bowl and more fish based foods the swelling is on and off... I'm guessing when he's pulling more of his food out and eating it off the plastic boot tray it's in.

So my goal would be to try and eliminate that habit to see it the lip swelling goes away completely. I'm hesitant with my more normal spray him with water since it's an eating habit. I don't want to scare him from eating as it will just confuse him.

Aelia
May 13, 2008

xwing posted:

I'd like to hear if anyone has any tips for getting rid of this habit my cat has. He likes to pull his food out of the bowl and eat it from the floor. He used to knock the entire bowl over until I got a holder for it and I'm using a boot tray to keep any bits of food inside the tray.

I'm guessing when he's pulling more of his food out and eating it off the plastic boot tray it's in.

Could you uh... get a non-plastic tray for the time being?

Isobel does the same thing with her dry food. She likes to pull it out of the bowl and swat it around and pounce before she'll eat it, which leaves behind quite the mess sometimes. Nothing we've done has managed to change this habit. (In fact, she meows at us to throw it for her and she'll chase/pounce which I think is adorable, but I understand your issue.)

AtomikKrab posted:

World's best has proven phenomenal for my cats pooping pleasure.

May as well try it since more than one of you are suggesting it.

Does it track much?

Freedonkeys
Jan 7, 2010
My indoor only cat got outside and ran off last night. I've contacted all of my neighbors, put up fliers, and left food out on the front porch. Is there anything else I can do besides wait and hope she shows up or someone sees her? I'm kicking myself over letting this happen and just want her back. :(

There's a group of stray cats that congregate nearby. My cat was originally a stray that I took in, and I suspect that she came from a litter from this group. Is it more likely that she would avoid them or attempt to be social with them?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My Cat had gone mental all of a sudden and had forgotten how to drink or of his fountain. He only wants to drink from the sink. Any advice on how to get him to do that?

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
^ FreedonkeysHere is a site with helpful information to help bring a lost cat home: http://www.catsinthebag.org/

Get the word out to any local rescues via FB, and if you want you can get a Havaheart humane trap (available at Home Depots and such stores). Good luck, and hopefully she'll be back in your arms shortly. You can also contact a local foster/rescue group for help "approaching" the local group of strays you observed. Some people feed feral colonies as part of a management program and they might know something that could help you.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Aelia posted:

Could you uh... get a non-plastic tray for the time being?

Oh duh... Trying to reinvent the wheel I am. This might require some diligent searching but I'm sure I can repurpose something to do the same thing as the tray is really nice for keeping the floor free of random food everywhere. My cat Tuxedo doesn't really play with it. He just paws it out to drop it and eat it. Cats are weird.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I have a quick question about a place for our cats to sit. We currently have what we call the cat throne, which is basically a pillar with a big square open top and has a pillow and blanket stuffed in there. It's maybe 3 or 4 feet high and it's a popular place for our cats. One cat is extremely old (20 years at least) and likes to sit on it next to me. The other cat is pretty fat and likes to sit on it next to my sister, who is close but not right next to me. They sometimes share it but fat cat likes to push old cat off of it and hog the whole thing. We've looked around a bit for another one but all we can find are the multi-story ones that have a bunch of ledges and stuff for the cats to sit on. They don't really care about that and it isn't really worth the hundred bucks for something that would just get in the way. We're looking for one that's a pillar with an open top to put a blanket and pillow in. It's not the end of the world if we can't find one but it does make the cats happier to be able to sit next to their favorite people.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Cowman posted:

I have a quick question about a place for our cats to sit. We currently have what we call the cat throne, which is basically a pillar with a big square open top and has a pillow and blanket stuffed in there. It's maybe 3 or 4 feet high and it's a popular place for our cats. One cat is extremely old (20 years at least) and likes to sit on it next to me. The other cat is pretty fat and likes to sit on it next to my sister, who is close but not right next to me. They sometimes share it but fat cat likes to push old cat off of it and hog the whole thing. We've looked around a bit for another one but all we can find are the multi-story ones that have a bunch of ledges and stuff for the cats to sit on. They don't really care about that and it isn't really worth the hundred bucks for something that would just get in the way. We're looking for one that's a pillar with an open top to put a blanket and pillow in. It's not the end of the world if we can't find one but it does make the cats happier to be able to sit next to their favorite people.

Is it something like these? I know they have a little house at the bottom, but they have kind of a perch up top.

http://www.armarkat.com/premium-solid-wood-cat-tree-s3103/

http://www.armarkat.com/premium-pinus-sylvestris-wood-cat-tree-s2906/

Or:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ware-Mfg-Seagrass-Cat-Scratch-and-Bed/21954454

hhgtrillian fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 23, 2013

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

xwing posted:

Oh duh... Trying to reinvent the wheel I am. This might require some diligent searching but I'm sure I can repurpose something to do the same thing as the tray is really nice for keeping the floor free of random food everywhere. My cat Tuxedo doesn't really play with it. He just paws it out to drop it and eat it. Cats are weird.

A baking pan might be what you need. They're all metal and typically have ridges to keep any liquid from dripping onto your oven floor. You can even get cheapie disposable kinds if you just want a temporary stand-in.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have a 7 year old male Persian/Maine Coon cross that has developed a patch of thinning, almost bald, fur on his side.

He's not itching or scratching. The skin underneath looks fine, and it's not inflamed or scaly. It's just a patch of fur that's noticeably thinner. He's an indoor cat, and in otherwise good health. No change in disposition or personality.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? We're going to the vet soon, but just thought I'd ask. We introduced a new cat to our house about 9 months ago, so maybe it's a related issue (anxiety causing over-grooming perhaps?). The new cat hasn't shown any similar issues.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 24, 2013

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Have you noticed him grooming more than usual? Watch him and see if you notice him picking at that spot. There are a lot of different causes for hair loss, but the most common ones in that location are probably allergy-related.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Of course on my mind is cancer. I love my old lady but I know she won't live forever. I guess I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or opinions on what to do? I'm trying not to freak out but I love my old lady cat :(

Edit: Would pyelonephritis show up on a UA or urine culture? I feel like where I work if we suspect pyelonephritis we give antibiotics first. Would something like TCC show up on a UA at all?

Edit2: Additionally I want to add that the radiographs the vet took were the traditional kind with film, so they had to be developed. She also took the X-rays after drawing the urine and said air could have entered into the bladder that way? But I've never heard of that.

Pyelonephritis would show up on a UA. You'd see evidence of casts (globs of white blood cells or protein coming from the damaged kidney), white blood cells... likely a whole host of other goodies as well. TCC would not necessarily show up on a UA. Rarely can you pull cells in your cysto sample. You may get evidence of bleeding or inflammation from the UA, but you said it was reported as unremarkable. Was the UA done in house or sent out? A chronic kidney cat with lower urinary tract signs has got a UTI in my book until proven otherwise - I've definitely seen animals negative on UA come up culture positive on culture, but they're the animals with really dilute urine (such as a chronic kidney disease cat).

If you inject air into the bladder with your cysto, then it could happen. Thing is, there should be no reason why you should have enough air in your syringe to inject that much air to be seen on rads for a cysto. Also, gas in the bladder is icky disease process-wise but the causes are usually readily apparent on a UA (diabetes, UTI).

Assuming that the straining and not producing urine, normal UA, and irritated vulva are all real and related, the problem could be related to the urethra or vulva - but I'd definitely want to check that bladder.

Ultrasound would be far better than an x ray for checking that out. Who does the ultrasounds?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Braki posted:

Have you noticed him grooming more than usual? Watch him and see if you notice him picking at that spot. There are a lot of different causes for hair loss, but the most common ones in that location are probably allergy-related.

I never thought to look out for more grooming than usual... and since my wife and I both work pretty crazy hours it's tough to tell. :(

I guess we'll just have to wait for what the vet says.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

HelloSailorSign posted:

Was the UA done in house or sent out? A chronic kidney cat with lower urinary tract signs has got a UTI in my book until proven otherwise - I've definitely seen animals negative on UA come up culture positive on culture, but they're the animals with really dilute urine (such as a chronic kidney disease cat).

If you inject air into the bladder with your cysto, then it could happen. Thing is, there should be no reason why you should have enough air in your syringe to inject that much air to be seen on rads for a cysto. Also, gas in the bladder is icky disease process-wise but the causes are usually readily apparent on a UA (diabetes, UTI).

Assuming that the straining and not producing urine, normal UA, and irritated vulva are all real and related, the problem could be related to the urethra or vulva - but I'd definitely want to check that bladder.

Ultrasound would be far better than an x ray for checking that out. Who does the ultrasounds?

UA was sent out, as far as I know. Where I work we usually just assume UTI until proven otherwise, too, but this vet...she's a homeopathic vet :cripes:. She does do real medicine like 50% of the time but she's pretty bad at it. I wouldn't even trust her diagnosis of "air in the bladder", probably just a semi-full bladder. She also said one of her kidneys was slightly "calcified", whatever that means?

this is seriously like my family's most embarrassing secret...

I told my mom an US would be far better, but it's outrageously expensive and would be done at the referral hospital nearby. She'll do it if she has to, but she's hoping an X-ray will be enough (it wont. The vet will charge her for the X-ray then tell her to get the US when she gets her money).

Thanks. I hope it's just a UTI. I guess I was thinking otherwise because the UA came back negative as far as I know for bacteria or anything like that, but the dilute urine makes sense.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So my cat is having a little problem, she has taken to pooping on the floor after we clean her litter box. She only does it once and only right after we clean it. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

It's like this except the top is square and the pole is much larger and has a hollow interior for the cats to climb up (they don't use that though). That is a good one and I'm definitely going to look into it, it's roughly what we were looking for.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

A friend of my girlfriend had a litter of kittens and has a female calico I'm considering adopting so my other female calico has a friend since we're not always home...

My only worry is my current cat is ~6 years old and very skittish around new people, etc... I basically rescued her from a basement where she constantly hid, mostly in the drop ceiling! She had absolutely no human interaction before we came along (but was around 2 other cats previously). She's now very loving and craves attention with us, I'm just a little nervous how she'd react at this point.

I DO constantly have a Feliway plugged in... Any tips? It's a pretty small apartment so I'm not sure how separated I can keep them while I introduce scents, etc.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Anyone have a favorite Armarkat tree model? I want to get a second one for the second floor of my house to give the cats something more interesting to do up there than eat the carpet under my bedroom door. Anything over 60" is ideal.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Anyone have a favorite Armarkat tree model? I want to get a second one for the second floor of my house to give the cats something more interesting to do up there than eat the carpet under my bedroom door. Anything over 60" is ideal.

I have this one, and my cats have been happy with it. They mostly hang out on the top two perches or the little condo thing. They will use the lower area for scratching some though.

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013

melon cat posted:

I never thought to look out for more grooming than usual... and since my wife and I both work pretty crazy hours it's tough to tell. :(

I guess we'll just have to wait for what the vet says.

When I left the country for a few months a couple years ago, I left the cat I had basically inherited a few months prior with my roommate and her other cat. When I got back, my cat had pulled all his hair out from his belly and along his spine and tail, just leaving a little poof at the tip. He stopped pulling his hair out as soon as I walked in the door. That cat just had some serious separation anxiety. There were also other instances of me leaving for the weekend or even coming home from work late that made him really upset.

Are your crazy working hours new? Maybe your cat just misses you.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We have several cat trees (mostly picked up second hand) and the hands-down favorite amoungst my two is this model.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Dienes posted:

We have several cat trees (mostly picked up second hand) and the hands-down favorite amoungst my two is this model.

I've always been a bit curious about those little pouches and hammocks. Do your cats like them? And how big are your cats?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

hhgtrillian posted:

I've always been a bit curious about those little pouches and hammocks. Do your cats like them? And how big are your cats?

Mine are both around 13 pounds, so not huge but bigger than average. I have seen them in the hammock a grand total of one time between the two of them. We use it as a handy storage area for cat toys. Everything else, the box, the 'tent', and the pouch at the top, are big hits that they will squabble over.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

For all the worlds best litter recommenders, I used to use the purple kind. The pet store didnt have that kind so I got the green forest scented kind and it is the best. I don't have the fine powder of litter over everything, it is a pretty decent scent to cover fowl cat poo and it clumps pretty decent, though not as good as the other kind which I am okay with.

I don't know what the actual differences are, just sharing if people are unsure about getting a new litter kind.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I am irrationally nervous about leaving my cats alone for 5 days. Obviously I'll put out plenty of food and water and clean litter. Neither of them have ever given a poo poo about a litterbox being full of poop, so I'm not worried about that really. But if they did poo poo somewhere else, eh, whatever. I have a friend nearby that usually checks in on them, but he's out of town. They'll be fine right?! I'll even leave the air conditioning on for them...

spatula fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

SalTheBard posted:

My Cat had gone mental all of a sudden and had forgotten how to drink or of his fountain. He only wants to drink from the sink. Any advice on how to get him to do that?

Even a fountain isn't good enough for this cat anymore? Perhaps try taking the fountain away and replacing it with a regular water bowl for a while, and then putting the fountain back.