Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Odobenidae posted:

Maybe a horde involving the mediterranean sea/central europe? Someone else suggested this earlier but having the mysterious "Sea Peoples" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples) appear and start pillaging would be cool

Your ruler is framed, resulting in a horde of barbary pirates invading from the sea! :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Reveilled posted:

It should certainly be better documented, but ultimately the Britons are a tribal people, and the tribal system they had was that someone among the kings was sometimes picked to be the high king. Being the High king was never a permanant thing. The Winter King is designed for a smaller scale, and composed of many fractured states to reflect the tribal peoples kicking about on the isles after the departure of the romans.
And this is fine when thinking about the early game, but in the 730's when my family controls almost all of Britannia and the high kingdom's crown authority is at absolute then I'd like to think I could make succession a bit more stable.

Reveilled posted:

Large states are generally designed to fall apart.
Unless they're Soissons or Ireland, I'll even give him Soissons, but the fact that Ireland has an unbroken string of high kings in my game while Britain has had all of five is absurd.

Reveilled posted:

he really ought to disable destroying the kingdom titles.
No kidding, even the AI does some basic math and realizes that if it constantly destroys and recreates a kingdom title it can farm prestige.
Seriously, I really like The Winter King mod, it's my favorite mod besides Ck2+ but it really does need some balance reworking.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Omnicarus posted:

Actually Sunset Invasion goes into that if you play long enough :) Eventually you start hearing about mass deaths across North America as Aztec conquistadors bring back smallpox and it leads to an internal collapse and total war between the Aztecs and Mayans, meaning no more reinforcements from North America and apparently an anarchic, Mad Max meets Apocalypto scenario across North America.

And this is also while they are fighting gun-wielding Incas and the grand Iroquois confederation.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, I never really thought about about it, but the pagan bonus to levy and retinue size is pretty huge.

I went from being able to field 15k armies to 8k armies when I reformed the faith.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Shadeoses posted:

And this is also while they are fighting gun-wielding Incas and the grand Iroquois confederation.

The CKII to EUIV converter better take all this into account if you have sunset invasion active.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

Oh god.

He had it all (well all of Ireland, but still).

Then he died, and a fair amount of people hated his heir. However they'd just been crusading so hopefully they'd have as few troops as the new king. However when a revolt started they had an event where people flocked to the enemies banners giving them immense armies compared to the crusade ruined army of the king and loyal vassals.

Lost the war and consequently the Kingdom of Ireland but kept a 2 Duchys, then got stressed from having a wife and lover, then died of stress.

I am now a 12 year old girl with no heir, who is duchess of Wessex and hold some land in Ireland, and was already embroiled in a succession war for England and I have no troops to speak of.

Games > Crusader Kings II: I am now a 12 year old girl with no heir,

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Also, is there anything like CK2+'s gender equality module for the base game? I want to try vanilla to get acquainted with the many, many DLC expansions I've missed before I plunge into CK2+, but I've been totally spoiled by playing as Dorne in the AGOT mod. :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The game is loving with me in my tutorial playthrough. Instead of honoring the Primogeniture I had as a Duke it forced me back to Gavelkind as soon as I made the Kingdom of Ireland, which is a problem because my king is 59 loving years old. I decided to just hand every title I could to my heir, and it's not letting me give him anything besides the County of Dublin. When I try to grant more it's greyed out because "you have no titles <that guy> can hold", which is bullshit. I can give every county and duchy I hold to any of his brothers, but not him?

Did the game put in specific oh-no-you-don't rules so that you can't circumvent Gavelkind by transferring titles to your heir that he wouldn't inherit anyway?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Rincewind posted:

Also, is there anything like CK2+'s gender equality module for the base game? I want to try vanilla to get acquainted with the many, many DLC expansions I've missed before I plunge into CK2+, but I've been totally spoiled by playing as Dorne in the AGOT mod. :v:

Basque culture is the only one that allows for fully cognatic succession iirc.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Always happens - I unite Ireland, get ready to go to war for Scotland...

"As we all know, [SO AND SO] is the one true ruler of Ireland! We demand you hand over the throne!"

"I will not give into blackmail...how the hell did they get 4 stacks of 1500+?!?"

I beat back that rebellion, revoke the title of the leader, build back up my war chest...

"As we all know, [SO AND SO] is the one true ruler of Ireland! We demand you hand over the throne!"

And all my vassals have positive opinions of me!

I just can't get off of Ireland without someone going "gently caress YOU, I'M THE KING!"

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

The game is loving with me in my tutorial playthrough. Instead of honoring the Primogeniture I had as a Duke it forced me back to Gavelkind as soon as I made the Kingdom of Ireland, which is a problem because my king is 59 loving years old.

Yeah this is just how it works now. It's pretty dumb but you can work around it. So it's perfect for the tutorial :)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kilonum posted:

Basque culture is the only one that allows for fully cognatic succession iirc.

Well, I knew that, I meant like a mod or something.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Wezlar posted:

Yeah this is just how it works now. It's pretty dumb but you can work around it. So it's perfect for the tutorial :)
The 10 year thing is what's killing me. My plan is basically "hope the dude already nicknamed The Old sticks around another 9 years".

Meanwhile I have a loving demigod waiting in the ranks, you guys will not believe how good my first grandson turned out.

he is the Kwisatz Haderach

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

meatbag posted:

The Aztec DLC seemed successful, both financially and with regards to trolling the Paradox forums, so maybe they will do another alt-history one. Though I can't imagine a fitting event.

The Rain Queen Invasion from the South of the Map? :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

CapnAndy posted:

The 10 year thing is what's killing me. My plan is basically "hope the dude already nicknamed The Old sticks around another 9 years".

Meanwhile I have a loving demigod waiting in the ranks, you guys will not believe how good my first grandson turned out.

I really should train up some diplo heirs sometime. I always train them up to have Midas Touched so I can get more stewardship for more cash and more land.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
After a period of illness, Murchad mac Brian died at age 18.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

CapnAndy posted:

The game is loving with me in my tutorial playthrough. Instead of honoring the Primogeniture I had as a Duke it forced me back to Gavelkind as soon as I made the Kingdom of Ireland, which is a problem because my king is 59 loving years old. I decided to just hand every title I could to my heir, and it's not letting me give him anything besides the County of Dublin. When I try to grant more it's greyed out because "you have no titles <that guy> can hold", which is bullshit. I can give every county and duchy I hold to any of his brothers, but not him?

Did the game put in specific oh-no-you-don't rules so that you can't circumvent Gavelkind by transferring titles to your heir that he wouldn't inherit anyway?

It seems that way, yes. I recall being able to gift your primary heir most of your titles in earlier versions, but in a TOG playthrough recently I noticed you could only hand heirs titles they are on course to inherit. I assume this was done to explicitly remove the "gift your heir everything" workaround to gavelkind's flaws.

Speaking of which, I know gavelkind is the "fucks you over" inheritance law, but I wish it didn't explicitly gently caress you over so badly, or at least gave you some control over how it fucks you. I've had my primary heir only inherit the capital county while brothers inherited multiple duchies, which makes no drat sense.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

CapnAndy posted:

Oh gawd, I finally managed to start stringing together some geniuses in my current game and I got an heir that had a 20 in diplomacy (despite being trained in martial!) and 12 in every other stat by age 10, took the throne a few years later...and then died of consumption by 20. He was too perfect for this world.

(His stats didn't get much higher than those ultimately because when his genius father that was tutoring him died when he was 12 or so there was nobody else in the entire realm with a martial education that had higher stats than him in his non-martial stats.)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

jpmeyer posted:

(His stats didn't get much higher than those ultimately because when his genius father that was tutoring him died when he was 12 or so there was nobody else in the entire realm with a martial education that had higher stats than him in his non-martial stats.)

I thought diplomatic education was the best?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GrossMurpel posted:

After a period of illness, Murchad mac Brian died at age 18.
Period of illness? Pff. More like "natural causes."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Period of illness? Pff. More like "natural causes."
He is literally the best warrior and the best spy and the best diplomat in all of Ireland. I'd like to see his rivals try.

I did get an awesome plot where my son decided to have me assassinated. Trying to hasten the inheritence, Brian?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

meatbag posted:

The Aztec DLC seemed successful, both financially and with regards to trolling the Paradox forums, so maybe they will do another alt-history one. Though I can't imagine a fitting event. Maybe the second coming in the year 1000 or something. I would love a DLC that expands court life, religious interaction and holy orders though

Zimbabwean invasion, spreading up from Mali across North Africa and then into Italy and Greece. Paradox can see how many racist grognard heads the can explode.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

More questions. On a Dublin start, I gave my eldest son the county of Dublin. Now dublin has this black border around it. What does this signify?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

GrossMurpel posted:

I honestly have been going more and more with a clerical education thanks to the new tech system. In this specific case, he was getting a military education since that's what his father had (and I think the reason his father got a military education was because I wanted him to be tutored by the higheset-stat vassal that I had since he was a genius and didn't want his potential to go to waste).

EDIT:

As for the different educations,

1) I often go with diplomacy as a safe pick based on the large number of events with diplomatic solutions if you have a high enough stat
2) I usually only ever do martial on people further down the line just to make sure that I have enough decent commanders/tutors along the way
3) I usually only ever do intrigue on female characters since at least they can potentially be a spymaster
4) I usually stop with stewardship once my realm reaches a large enough size that I don't need to scrounge for money and I can have a comfortable demense without getting near the limit
5) I kind of like clerical education because it can help get you critical techs in military organization, legalism, trade, and/or infrastructure(s)

jpmeyer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 24, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

CapnAndy posted:

He is literally the best warrior and the best spy and the best diplomat in all of Ireland. I'd like to see his rivals try.

I did get an awesome plot where my son decided to have me assassinated. Trying to hasten the inheritence, Brian?

My first King of Sweden was a badass Viking raider who everyone loved and who just would not die. He had a bunch of cool sons and I wanted to get to the inheriting part so I started sending him on suicidal raids around age 80 so he would get injured in battle or something. Instead he managed to completely sack both Paris and Rome on a single round trip of Europe, defeating armies twice the size of his retinue because he was a heavy infantry leader with like 25 martial. Finally he was assassinated at age 85 in a plot contrived by at least two of the sons. After 85 years I'd get impatient too

Caufman
May 7, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

I favor a diplomatic ruler myself, but the demense limit bonus from Midas Touched is not insubstantial.

For RP purposes, I try to keep my Norse rulers militarily inclined, but this does lead to shorter-than-average life expectancies.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I prefer diplomatic rulers, especially once you're into multiple kingdoms. At that point your personal power is going to be a drop in the bucket compared to your vassal levies no matter what you do, so it is vastly more important to be well-liked. In my main game I've been intentionally shedding holdings because I'd rather have my vassals spend their money on upgrading them; my money needs to go to bribes and mercs and assassins and feasts and claims, and seriously, who goddamn cares if I can raise 200 men or 5000 when my vassals can raise 90k? I've long since passed the point where I'm holding a few duchies together by force of arms.

Red Terror
Oct 1, 2009

Zotix posted:

More questions. On a Dublin start, I gave my eldest son the county of Dublin. Now dublin has this black border around it. What does this signify?

Black borders indicate control by a single person. Later in the game if you give your vassal(s) more than one county or duchy, their territory is outlined with a single darker border with their "capital holding" showing their coat of arms. These borders can change and are sometimes different from the de jure duchies so basically it is to easier understand who controls what on the map.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Red Terror posted:

Black borders indicate control by a single person. Later in the game if you give your vassal(s) more than one county or duchy, their territory is outlined with a single darker border with their "capital holding" showing their coat of arms. These borders can change and are sometimes different from the de jure duchies so basically it is to easier understand who controls what on the map.

Thanks. I've got a lot of time to play today, and I'm sort of asking some questions again as I was at work the other day and couldn't follow up with more questions.

So under gavelkind, how do I go about best expanding my irish kingdom and keeping everything intact? Leinster seems to want to go to other family members not in my direct line of succession. Is that okay since the Kingdom of Meath is still in my family line? Or do I want to do what it takes to get Leinster back in my direct succession? Even if that means killing nephews and brothers?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
You can get sons out of the succession by appointing them as successors to your bishop vassals (in the Religion tab). They don't even have to hold those bishoprics when you die, as long as they're in the queue for bishop succession they won't receive any of your titles.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's a fine line to tread though right, as if something happens to that family line your game basically ends?

Does it become a bit easier when I actually form the kingdom of ireland? When I form Ireland, do I really only need to worry about who will be in the line of succession for ireland itself? Or will I need to really continue to manage the smally counties and duchies?

Red Terror
Oct 1, 2009

Zotix posted:

Thanks. I've got a lot of time to play today, and I'm sort of asking some questions again as I was at work the other day and couldn't follow up with more questions.

So under gavelkind, how do I go about best expanding my irish kingdom and keeping everything intact? Leinster seems to want to go to other family members not in my direct line of succession. Is that okay since the Kingdom of Meath is still in my family line? Or do I want to do what it takes to get Leinster back in my direct succession? Even if that means killing nephews and brothers?

From my experience, yes, it is to kill all other potential males from inheriting thus dividing your kingdom since they will separate from your kingdom. From my assumption that you have not created the Kingdom of Ireland (which creates different circumstances) yet, a good way to insure early unity is to change the succession law to Primogeniture at the earliest opportunity (oldest child inherits typically male unless no male heirs available under Agnatic-Cognatic). If they do divide you most likely can claim it back since your oldest child will probably have an inheritable claim but of course you will have to go to war over it all over again to reunite your lost territory.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I can't switch to Primogeniture. The only requirement not not is that I've ruled for 10 years, and currently I've ruled for 11. Any ideas?

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Zotix posted:

I can't switch to Primogeniture. The only requirement not not is that I've ruled for 10 years, and currently I've ruled for 11. Any ideas?

Was the title you're attempting the laws for formed within the last ten years? It's not overall reign, it's how long you personally have held the title.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Daktar posted:

Zimbabwean invasion, spreading up from Mali across North Africa and then into Italy and Greece. Paradox can see how many racist grognard heads the can explode.
Why not go whole hog and have a Zulu invasion. Finally, Civilization won't be the only arena in which to settle the argument who would win if the Aztecs and Zulus met on the fields of Andalusia.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Has anyone tried modding Prepared Invasions for non-Vikings? It sounds like it would be a godsend for helping create large armies for Crusades, for instance, but would probably break the game if it was just flat-out a thing Catholics could do.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Why not go whole hog and have a Zulu invasion. Finally, Civilization won't be the only arena in which to settle the argument who would win if the Aztecs and Zulus met on the fields of Andalusia.

We're halfway there, anyway.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:keke:

Sonendar v.1.04.3 Released!

Big changes:

quote:

- Added a special event chain for Rozha and lots of new buildings. Rozhans can embark on a scheme to "Corner the Global Gold Market if they have 15K gold. Finishing the 20 year event chain without dipping into bankruptcy will give them an empire level title and lots of prestige and power. All independent duke and count-level rulers will get an event where they can either swear fealty to the Merchant King of Rozha or face a bankrupting loss of 500-1000 gold due to the Rozhan control of the World Gold Market.
- Added lots of new dynasty members for almost all of the duchies and kingdoms on the map.
- Fixed Reichsmarch subjugation CB.
- Fixed "Become Reichsmarschall" ambition
- Nerfed Pirate Raid CB

Faction Highlight: The Walkers of Everdell

The Kingdom of Everdell is one of the two titular Kingdoms that broke off after the destruction of the ancient Kingdom of Thumbrica. It is small, entirely landlocked, and is surrounded by large, hungry kingdoms just waiting for a chance to take a bite out of it. To the south is Bregnac -- at the beginning rather unstable as the Betit dynasty squabbles over the crown -- and to the North is the Westerreich, whose troops greatly outnumber yours. To the northwest is Manxwall, the other former half of Thumbrica, whose ruler is currently engaged in tensions with the Pawxatuck Confederation over its de jure lands, but who looks eagerly to devour your territory and restore Thumbrica.

In the 4256 CE start, Everdell is ruled by old Agathe Walker. Playing as Agathe, you will start off unmarried and at 45 years old, well past childbearing age. Your daughter, Tabitha, a fairly mediocre leader, will already be an Earless and not likely to accept a matrilineal marriage with any of your courtiers. Your kingdom will be running True Cognatic Primogeniture, meaning Tabitha is next in line to inherit the kingdom. Your sole male descendant is Adrian, a sickly four year old boy from Tabitha's previous dalliances.

With a dynasty of two other members, a landlocked position, a small desmesne and few vassals, will you be able to preserve the Walker dynasty? Or will it fade into the mists of history, as the Kingdom of Everdell is swallowed up by its hungry neighbors?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I was out of town for the weekend so I'm going to start work on the Norse pagan LP tonight after work. I've played a lot of the Norse rulers at the main start dates and found which ones are feasible starts for a tutorial but are challenging enough that all the pagan gimmicks should be used in order to succeed. So, my two finalists:

Holmger Hammer, chief of Burgandaholmr (Bornholm) in 867: You start with an ambitious, but flawed leader with extremely limited resources which is a nice change from starting out as Tyr incarnate in the better-known 867 Viking starts. At the start, you don't have nearly enough men to pillage your victims, so you'll have to pick at the low hanging fruit until the posse arrives and forces you out. Still, there's considerable room for growth, prepared invasions are A Potential Thing well into the game due to your small amount of holdings, and you've got plenty of opportunities to expand beyond your little Baltic hamlet. Also, need I point out the fantastic loving name.

Erik af Munsö, Jarl of Uppland in 1066 (William the Conqueror start): This is a story about becoming strong as gently caress in a world of poo poo. I prefer to start from the William the Conqueror start here because Uppland starts out independent from Sweden (so they can't convert you) and in the wake of Stenkil's death there's no auto alliance between Denmark and Norway, not to mention internal tension from the Sverker dynasty. Since you're going to become the sole Norse power in the game very quickly, literally the entire western world is ripe for raiding, but it also means that you're going to be the odd man out and you've got a bunch of pissed-off Christian neighbors who might want to see the Stenkils or Sverkers back in power. This is the ideal start for anyone who gets a kick out of bringing the faith of Odin back from the brink and turning Rome into Second Uppsala.

Anyone else have any other suggestions for particularly satisfying and challenging Norse starts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Maybe something changed with the new DLC, because I can't figure out why I can't press this fabricated claim in Suomi. Is it because my character is merely a Patrician and not a Grand-Mayor or a Count?

Or does it have to do with how pagan tribes work? I was sorta hoping I could get a foothold in Finland there, since I already have a port in Suomi and own the only city in that province as well.

Edit: Apparently you can't press claims as a Patrician, but when you're the Grand-Mayor you automatically get a claim to seize a province you have a port in... Or something like that, I guess.

beefart posted:

Anyone else have any other suggestions for particularly satisfying and challenging Norse starts?

Nope, but it's really cool that you're doing an LP of the new Norse pagan stuff and I'm definitely going to follow it to learn some stuff. :-)

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 24, 2013

• Locked thread