Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
My neighbor has a 928 that I've been lusting after ever since I moved here, sounds amazing. They're not expensive here either, the price I typically see is 7000~ but there's a 2-for-1 deal someone has at 4000$ right now that my rear end in a top hat brother won't join me on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

NitroSpazzz posted:

928's also have pop-up lights and pop-up lights are awesome AI poo poo

For some reason I now have Jeremy Clarkson's voice in my head going "where are my reading spectacles Mabel? Oh *pop* there we are"

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Went to a wine tasting thing on the weekend that happened to coincide with a British car meetup. Lots of neat stuff, but this one stood out.

'74 TVR, second owner, 23000 miles on it. New paint and new carpet in the rear under the glass due to FL sun bleaching, but otherwise all original.

:stare:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Friar Zucchini posted:

Feast your eyes upon the 1966 Volvo P1800. Single owner, original transmission and rear end, engine rebuilt twice.

Three million miles.

I believe I was a couple of years out of college in 1987 when I read about this man & his car logging a million miles.

Also: 968

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 24, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Stardotstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhu-A9hIOPI

He also won that SPEED channel show "Setup."

Dude leaves people in the dust, check out this rear end-puckering moment at 1:40 :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3BkAoCdqE

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hietala posted:

My neighbor has a 928 that I've been lusting after ever since I moved here, sounds amazing. They're not expensive here either, the price I typically see is 7000~ but there's a 2-for-1 deal someone has at 4000$ right now that my rear end in a top hat brother won't join me on.

They aren't terribly expensive, but they are typically found in a state of maintenance debt and the parts are usually expensive. Especially the model specific ones.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What happened to the Chevy swapped 928 project someone in here picked up awhile back?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I believe that was EnTier, haven't heard about that project in awhile.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

some texas redneck posted:

What happened to the Chevy swapped 928 project someone in here picked up awhile back?

Must've fallen into the archives, I don't see it in my CP anymore.

Here, have a 4.6is towing a F10

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Went to the yards today to grab a few parts, I parked by the two VWs and was gonna grab a photo on the way out. I found a Geo wanted to play too.

I'm not sure if its horrible or awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Did you get any closer pictures of that baja bug?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Wandering around campus I stumbled on this (if the tags are right) 1959 Plymouth Belvedere.

The paint's hella rough:

But it's got this rad-rear end flames:

And this :krad: mural on the roof:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It is a 1959, but that's a Chevy.

edit:

It's a Pacer and a truck, all at the same time.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 24, 2013

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
probably said "Biscayne"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Did you get any closer pictures of that baja bug?

I can. The owner works there and I park beside it usually. Its fantastically ghettofabb'd though. boogerwelds and house spec door hinges hold the front end on. but there is neat bits on it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Best engine swap on a lada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKxpzTYNBhE

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Viking Blood posted:

probably said "Biscayne"

That would explain it. I swear I saw a chevy badge, but I didn't really note what the Bis-whatever badges said. I knew there was a chevy bis-something. That also explains why it doesn't have as aggressive fins as a '59 plymouth.

Also, that pacer truck would only be better if it were a gremlin.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Also possibly "Bel Air"

e: Chevy made a lot of cars.

(source: http://www.chevy59.com/data.htm)

MrSaturn fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 25, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

17 models, 2 chassis. :v: Man that Corvette looks pretty, though.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Sebastien Loeb has a pretty insane car for pikes peak. It appears to be an engine attached to a rear wing and a splitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouQ-KFv7jLk

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

toplitzin posted:

Best engine swap on a lada:

Let me guess, it runs on pure alcohol?

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Sebastien Loeb has a pretty insane car for pikes peak. It appears to be an engine attached to a rear wing and a splitter

You forgot the best part: 875hp for 875kg = 1000hp/ton.

0-240kph (top speed) in 7 seconds.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

KozmoNaut posted:

0-240kph (top speed) in 7 seconds.

:stare: times a million

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

beedeebee posted:

:stare: times a million

0-100kph in 1.8 seconds and 0-200kph in 4.8 seconds.

:stare: indeed.

E: vvvv With the headlights from a Fiat Punto, no less :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 25, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What do you do when your car company is going bust and your cars are poo poo and nobody is buying them?
Flood the market with cheap rebadged superminis to recoup losses?
Jump on the SUV high profit margin bandwagon and hope that helps?
Radical cost cutting measures?
Not if it's MG.
You build this:

Then the whole company goes bust, all the factory equipment gets sold for a few mil at auction and parceled off to China, and you retire to a quiet life of academia.
But let's not forget that for a while, something this mental actually made production at a large, and not Australian, car manufacturer.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

KozmoNaut posted:

0-100kph in 1.8 seconds and 0-200kph in 4.8 seconds.

This is genuinely beyond my level of comprehension.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm not sure if its horrible or awesome.

Well see, son, when two ATVs love one another very much they will do strange things. Wonderful things.

...and that's how we get Big Wheels. Any questions?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Zenostein posted:

That would explain it. I swear I saw a chevy badge, but I didn't really note what the Bis-whatever badges said. I knew there was a chevy bis-something. That also explains why it doesn't have as aggressive fins as a '59 plymouth.

Also, that pacer truck would only be better if it were a gremlin.

Just so you aren't confused again.. :)

1958 Plymouth...

Wow...this thread made me google image search 1958 cars. '57 gets all the attention but IMHO was the best year of 50's design.

1958 Buick

1958 Imperial

1958 Dodge Sweptside Pickup

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Nice. On a related note, was in Dallas this weekend and spotted this J10:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's awesome, right up until you see the fact that despite the four-link, drag slicks, and skinnies, it's putting down a quarter mile E/T that you could beat with quite a few (admittedly fast) bone-stock cars on street tires. Even more so, a 100mph trap speed tells me that without the slicks and four-link, it'd be more like a 14-second run.

Although, since I'm guessing that thing weighs pretty close to what my GMC does, making an AMC 4.0 put out the same power as a LS1 certainly counts as AI.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's awesome, right up until you see the fact that despite the four-link, drag slicks, and skinnies, it's putting down a quarter mile E/T that you could beat with quite a few (admittedly fast) bone-stock cars on street tires. Even more so, a 100mph trap speed tells me that without the slicks and four-link, it'd be more like a 14-second run.

Although, since I'm guessing that thing weighs pretty close to what my GMC does, making an AMC 4.0 put out the same power as a LS1 certainly counts as AI.

Yeah, I thought the pic was awesome and then saw the times and was like "really? :eng99:"

Stock ones weigh in at around 3200lbs. Give or take. A base/base/base/base/NOTHING model (2.5, 4 speed, shortbed, 2wd) weighs 2898lbs, an Eliminator with skid plates, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.0 is 3316lbs.

I suspect this one does a little better.

e: here's an article on it - http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1106_1986_jeep_cherokee/

It does low 9s :v: 9.15 seconds at 149mph

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 25, 2013

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

leica posted:

Dude leaves people in the dust, check out this rear end-puckering moment at 1:40 :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3BkAoCdqE

Holy poo poo, whats the saying? Indecision almost killed the cat.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

kastein posted:

Yeah, I thought the pic was awesome and then saw the times and was like "really? :eng99:"

Stock ones weigh in at around 3200lbs. Give or take. A base/base/base/base/NOTHING model (2.5, 4 speed, shortbed, 2wd) weighs 2898lbs, an Eliminator with skid plates, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.0 is 3316lbs.

I suspect this one does a little better.

e: here's an article on it - http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1106_1986_jeep_cherokee/

It does low 9s :v: 9.15 seconds at 149mph

I've seen and heard that jeep in person, its certainly the tits.. It put a big smile on everyone's face when they fired it off at the jeep show.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Linedance posted:

What do you do when your car company is going bust and your cars are poo poo and nobody is buying them?
Flood the market with cheap rebadged superminis to recoup losses?
Jump on the SUV high profit margin bandwagon and hope that helps?
Radical cost cutting measures?
Not if it's MG.
You build this:

Then the whole company goes bust, all the factory equipment gets sold for a few mil at auction and parceled off to China, and you retire to a quiet life of academia.
But let's not forget that for a while, something this mental actually made production at a large, and not Australian, car manufacturer.

And remember, they didn't even design the thing themselves! It dates to the mid-1990s and was at various times the De Tomaso Bigua and then the Qvale Mangusta, before they paid Peter Stevens to fiddle with the exterior.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Veeb0rg posted:

I've seen and heard that jeep in person, its certainly the tits.. It put a big smile on everyone's face when they fired it off at the jeep show.

Doesn't have a 4.0, don't care.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Guys! I found a thing! Well, 500 old things...

[url] http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/scores-chevys-hidden-50-years-finally-sale-160911547.html[/url]

Some owners of a small dealership for 50 years are selling 500 classic Chevy cars, from Vegas, Corvairs, and Impalas to a 78 Corvette and more.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 26, 2013

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
big eurotruck suspension from the ZF suspension booth at mid america truck show:

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can chime in a bit on this - This was built by a secondary school in my city for kids, 16 - 19, to drag race in. The main idea being that building a race car is a teamwork based project, and that you can get your 'go fast' rocks off in a somewhat safe environment, instead of street racing. In that class, we were limited to running 12.000 or slower, or faced being given fines or kicked out of the class for the remainder of the year. The engine was built to the tits originally, but choked down and limited to comply with the rules. One weekend at the track for a non highschool class, they had it opened up a bit more and it was chipping away at low 11s no problem.

My school had a fairly decent 70 Nova that we took into the HS drag class. The graduating class the year before me blew up the anemic stock 350 doing brake stands. From scrounging parts together, we (with help) were able to build a stout 400 with Edelbrock heads, intake, super lumpy cam and some other goodies. The first day out at the track, our teacher didn't really have an idea what time we would run, so we teched for 12.2. I got the first run of the day and threw up an 11.990 :smuggo: We got fined $100 for that and warned that one more offense like that would get us kicked off the track for a while. Boy was that car fun to stop with 4 wheel drum brakes :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Today I actually managed to get up to my brother in law's place. He has a long-standing relationship with his car(s). His baby is a 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 Compact. He bought it around 20 years ago, immediately did a bare metal respray, then moved to Adelaide. It's something of a long running joke (other than the "things being older than me: his ug boots, ownership of the Fairlanes") that he may actually grow up once it's 'finished'.. but we'll see if he ever gets there.

I didn't get a photo of any engine bays, stupidly, but neither of them have stock engines. His Baby has a 289 crate engine from.. somewhere, I don't remember, which was originally going to go in the white one, which proceeded to die. It's been a hilarious line of unluckiness, none the less!

The interior on this one is absolutely immaculate. It feels like you're floating (which is what I imagine you would feel like after your face goes through the steering wheel in an accident!).

And his other exact same car, only in cool white! This was his and my sister's daily driver for around 10 years. Has a 302 Windsor in it, and runs on gas. The reason it's AI? Because using a car like that daily takes brass ones in Aus.. and on gas it uses 15L per 100km.. or 3.5 MPG (:laugh:) for you backwards Imperials.

As he lives in the hills, he's managed to finagle a deal with one of his rather eccentric neighbours (no, not the TV show) into letting him use one of their empty sheds. Turns out, since I was last there, the owner's daughter has started moving some of her cars in.. whilst completely blocking the Fords. But apparently she's going through a divorce, so no great shocks there! Anyway, the other cars in there:

Some kind of 50s Bedford? I have no clue!

I actually prefer the look of this one; the patina and dust just.. suit it somehow! (Also it doesn't have a bad paintjob, unlike the red one).

And finally, the car that is apparently being restored there. All of it's bodywork is behind the green Fairlane, but the badging on the back of the truck says Vauxhaull. The ID plate states General Motors, so I think it may be an FJ or FX that was.. sent to Europe or something? I'm not sure! :iiam:

And sorry for the bad photos, wasn't thinking I would get to see these today, so all I had on me was my phone.