Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Robviously posted:

As I've seen from many a people who've put out a doctoral thesis; writing a thesis and missing the point can very easily go hand in hand.

Well, sure. But the point is that he isn't a crazed ignorant hick redlining away medical care for the poor because he doesn't know any better/jesus told him to.

He's a very well-educated man, specifically in health policy, and an adult convert to catholicism. My point is that he absolutely should know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

As I often do when discussing Jindal with my fellow Louisianians, I'll note that ol' Bobby is a Rhodes Scholar who was accepted by, and subsequently turned down Harvard Medical School.

Also particularly galling is that he did his poli sci master's thesis on health policy. The man knows exactly how much damage he's doing to our state's medical field; especially the slashing for poverty care. He is a monster.

This has always shocked me. But after the last election - anecdote alert! - I saw several very smart people go deep into the Teabag Fox pool. It flabbergasted me, and I've thought about it quite a bit.

I believe that these folks can be infected by this madness, like a virus, and it turns a part of them very dumb. Or blinded. Thus, I think it's possible Jindal actually believes what he's talking about these days, regardless of his previous education. He's been infected by Wingnuttery.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Taerkar posted:

Sometimes it really feels like they've got a game of one-uping going on with The Onion. "You think we're that crazy? No, we're THIS crazy!"

"And it's not like we're losing votes for it. :smug:"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's really easy to manipulate smart people by just saying only really smart people would agree with you.

Smart isn't the same as as savvy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Smart people can make bad decisions. It's not like the barometer for being smart is "Has impeccable judgment, always makes the right decision."

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
It's funny because a lot of rednecks will say "LOTS OF SMART PEOPLE WITH NO COMMON SENSE" when describing liberals.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dr. Faustus posted:

Welcome to a whole new usage of the dreaded C-word! Set yourself free!

What a wondrous future you live in, where oval office has shed it's womanly origins and has transcended being insulting and insulting to women to just insulting.

I, who lack your freedom, will just have to resort to using various combinations of poo poo and a noun. Shitheel.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

What a wondrous future you live in, where oval office has shed it's womanly origins and has transcended being insulting and insulting to women to just insulting.

I, who lack your freedom, will just have to resort to using various combinations of poo poo and a noun. Shitheel.

Well, sorry about the derail (honestly, I should have known better), but to end it allow me to note that not all uses of the dreaded C-word are either a) gender-specific or b) even denigrating. There are places (mostly) outside the US where the dreaded C-word is used very commonly as a term of endearment or a catch-all for friends and enemies alike. Context is important! (No, really.)

O, and to whomever asked, all the faggots I know personally are awesome people and I adore them.

And you know something, sometimes I dislike someone so intensely that no other word will do. And I think that's ok! If that makes me deplorable to you or anyone else, I'm ok with that, too.

To sum up: I think everyone can agree on Lars Ulrich.

Please, let's now return to discussing the Right Wing Media. If you have PMs, please send your derision to me directly and let the thread move on.

How is the Right Wing Media responding to the live-blogging of the George Zimmerman trial today?

edit: Day One is over, Day Two begins tomorrow @ 9am. I've been following the live blog at HLN.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It's kind of weird how invested you are in being able to use certain words.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well, sorry about the derail (honestly, I should have known better), but to end it allow me to note that not all uses of the dreaded C-word are either a) gender-specific or b) even denigrating. There are places (mostly) outside the US where the dreaded C-word is used very commonly as a term of endearment or a catch-all for friends and enemies alike. Context is important! (No, really.)

And the context was that you threw a screaming fit over not being able to call a woman the c-word as the worst insult you could think of. :bravo: It's so nice and friendly and some people in another country (who renamed a British noble rank to avoid it sounding too much like this word) don't think it's so bad but it sure is something I only call people who I hate most of all!

God drat what the gently caress.

Typical Pubbie posted:

But seriously, oval office is an offensive word, and if a person asks you respectfully not to use it you should just be a decent human being and not use it.

See what's great is that that's exactly what happened and Dr. Faustus became literally offended over that happening.

swampland posted:

I agree with your point but I'm also assuming you're not a child and can write friend of the family and human being without mummy telling you off when you're talking about those words.
As stated, it's a matter of respect.

Also my mom would literally rise from her grave and drag me down to hell.

Neremworld fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 24, 2013

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's called being respectful and it's something that adults do.

Neremworld posted:

As stated, it's a matter of respect.

swampland fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 5, 2019

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Don't get confused by Jindal's credentials. He's not smart. He's "useful Republican smart." It's like a 7-year-old kid coming to church and saying "I created a logical proof for the existence of Jesus!" and everyone falls to the ground and starts speaking in tongues. Book deals follow.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Neremworld posted:

And the context was that you threw a screaming fit... God drat what the gently caress.

I what?
I re-read my post. I asked the question and yes, I defended the use of a word. Yes, I even used it. I assert my right to use it, if I deem it appropriate.
I guess I should have expected some amount of pearl-clutching and couch-fainting at the notion; but I have yet to approach anything like a "screaming fit."

quote:

See what's great is that that's exactly what happened and Dr. Faustus became literally offended over that happening.

I was not (and still am not) "literally" offended over "that happening." I just find it passing strange that some SA members could be so vehemently against the "salty language," just considering the nature and history of the website and forums, but...

quote:

:ms:

I've made a good-faith effort to get the thread back on track. Between the Fisher case "ruling" from SCOTUS today and the Zimmerman live-blogging, there ought to be some craziness from the Right Wing Media by now. Does anyone have an example? I don't listen to the radio except 40 minutes of NPR during my commute. I wanna read about what Rush had to say about the poor white girl who couldn't get into a school because of inferior blacks.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

swampland posted:

I disagree, I think it's ridiculous and childish if you're discussing something to not even be able to say the words you're discussing and c-word, f-word and n-word sound like something a five year old would say. I'm not advocating using those words in casual conversation or calling people them but as a gay person if someone said something about someone being called an EFF WORD! I wouldn't think they were super respectful just dumb as hell.

Well that's cool that you feel that way, but saying the word and using an inoffensive euphemism are functionally identical when discussing those words and I think there's no reason to use the actual word other than childish "gently caress you dad" style rebelliousness.

Although when it comes down to it you're conflating people who won't say it with people who feign offense when someone says "crap" in public and we're conflating you with "words are just words they only have the power you give them!" overprivileged dipshits.

Either way it's just being polite. As a straight white male I don't really feel comfortable determining when I am allowed to use words that exist to denigrate minority groups, whether I'm having an academic discussion or not. You're free to feel differently.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 25, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Hey guys, what does any of this bullshit have to do with right wing media?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Protocol 5 posted:

I derailed the thread, it's my fault. For the second time, I apologize.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Protocol 5 posted:

This thread is lucky to be on topic half the time.

Also this all stemmed from right wing media jumping to defend Paula Deen being racist and decry political correctness, which are staple right wing media talking points and worth discussing.

It's honestly one of the least deraily derails the thread has had. Didn't we derail about sports or something for a couple pages once?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Someone linked me to this video to prove to me that we just need to let up on the job creators. If you can sit through the whole thing without going on a murderous rampage or sobbing hysterically at how incredibly hosed up this all is then you clearly have been robbed of your humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=661pi6K-8WQ

inside: white man explaining why the rich white men shouldn't be taxed more because even if we killed the rich and took everything they had it would only 'get us through' one year. Because republicans literally do not understand that things have consequences farther down the road than this quarter.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Warchicken posted:

Someone linked me to this video to prove to me that we just need to let up on the job creators. If you can sit through the whole thing without going on a murderous rampage or sobbing hysterically at how incredibly hosed up this all is then you clearly have been robbed of your humanity.

inside: white man explaining why the rich white men shouldn't be taxed more because even if we killed the rich and took everything they had it would only 'get us through' one year. Because republicans literally do not understand that things have consequences farther down the road than this quarter.

I love how he opens with the Mary Poppins reference, conveniently ignoring the utter lambasting the "elite bankers" received in that movie, hungry and going into a rage when they aren't able to take 50 pence from a child.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

I love how he opens with the Mary Poppins reference, conveniently ignoring the utter lambasting the "elite bankers" received in that movie, hungry and going into a rage when they aren't able to take 50 pence from a child.

He was actually idealizing that movie. I actually thought this was a parody for almost the entire video. I just can't loving tell anymore.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Warchicken posted:

Seen this before and this guy is a popular libertarian youtube personality with a bunch of horribly lovely videos.

He appeals to dumb people because he's older and speaks with authority and it makes him seem intelligent and well-read.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Seen this before and this guy is a popular libertarian youtube personality with a bunch of horribly lovely videos.

He appeals to dumb people because he's older and speaks with authority and it makes him seem intelligent and well-read.

Ugh, "popular libertarian youtube personality" won't fit in the namechange form.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah his videos are loving terrible. Everyone in the comments is jacking off over Thatcher, how can anybody see what she did was good? Seems like Americans love her, but the Brits hate her guts because they actually had to deal with her poo poo.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 25, 2013

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

XyloJW posted:

Ugh, "popular libertarian youtube personality" won't fit in the namechange form.

Perhaps you could adopt a shorter abbreviation. Like POLYP.

AircraftNoise
May 9, 2008
Stop acting like cunts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

AircraftNoise posted:

Stop acting like cunts.

Please stop this stupid derail. :commissar:

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

XyloJW posted:

Vlogging Milty

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/irs-sent-46378040-refunds-23994-unauthorized-aliens-1-atlanta-address

God drat illegal immigrants getting tax refunds for the taxes they paid to the government while participating in our economy and working!!! God drat them!!!!!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Warchicken posted:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/irs-sent-46378040-refunds-23994-unauthorized-aliens-1-atlanta-address

God drat illegal immigrants getting tax refunds for the taxes they paid to the government while participating in our economy and working!!! God drat them!!!!!

It's actually a really hilarious story considering one of the most ridiculous claims about illegal immigrants is how they don't have to pay any taxes. That sure is a lot of refunds for people who never needed to pay any taxes in the first place...

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Warchicken posted:

Considering undocumented workers often have large families and low paying jobs, they probably are receiving more from the government than they pay into the system.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

rakovsky maybe posted:

Considering undocumented workers often have large families and low paying jobs, they probably are receiving more from the government than they pay into the system.

I can't recall where I read it, but I remember some thinktank did some math and concluded that taking into account what they pay in sales tax, income tax withheld for those with fake socials (and generally not refunded because they're scared of showing up on the radar) versus what they use in public resources, public schools, and emergency room visits, illegal immigrants are a very very slight drain, in terms of tax money. At worst, their influence on taxes was, as the study concluded, inconsequential. Especially when you consider the effect they have driving the economy, and compare it to the proposals to kick out the illegals and what that would do in terms of tax dollars.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, but they're not white. Why even bring up all the other stuff?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Yeah his videos are loving terrible. Everyone in the comments is jacking off over Thatcher, how can anybody see what she did was good? Seems like Americans love her, but the Brits hate her guts because they actually had to deal with her poo poo.

The spectacular failure of Thatcher's government on every front (besides the Falklands, I guess?) is something that American conservatives can never, ever admit. Remember, conservatism can never fail, it can only be betrayed. Admitting that Thatcher was wrong is effectively admitting that their basic ideas of how to run everything from schools to corporations is entirely wrong, fabricated from bullshit economic and social theories.

Of course, they can't admit that, no matter how blindingly obvious it is to everyone who isn't a rich white guy or who doesn't worship rich white guys.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Quite honestly, there was a pertinent point brought up rather recently by some members of the Right Wing Media. Lemme see if I can dredge it up.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/limbaugh-rips-gop-for-being-embarrassed-of-its-base-republican-party-is-hanging-by-a-thread/

So let me get this straight.

The Republican Party is embarrassed for the fact that a giant chunk of its constituents are a bunch of mouthbreathers that hang on whatever the television tells them? Why, yes, I'd be embarrassed too. And apparently, feeling shame for the fact that some members of your party are horrible racist douchebags is apparently a bad thing according to Rush.

Apparently, the best way for a party to represent the REAL America is through gun-toting, tobacco-chewing, jingoistic racist pricks. And the thing is, my dad is Republican. I've asked him, time and time again, why does he agree with this stuff? He doesn't. He agrees with the fiscal policies of the Republican party (which I'm not gonna go into), but he listens to Rush, who espouses the entire Right-Wing bullshit machine.

I dunno. Seems dumb to me.

fishception fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 25, 2013

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

rakovsky maybe posted:

On paper, maybe, but that's only because workers don't get to count the economic activity of their labor in terms of their total tax contribution.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

BUSH 2112 posted:

The spectacular failure of Thatcher's government on every front (besides the Falklands, I guess?) is something that American conservatives can never, ever admit. Remember, conservatism can never fail, it can only be betrayed. Admitting that Thatcher was wrong is effectively admitting that their basic ideas of how to run everything from schools to corporations is entirely wrong, fabricated from bullshit economic and social theories.

Of course, they can't admit that, no matter how blindingly obvious it is to everyone who isn't a rich white guy or who doesn't worship rich white guys.

The actual effects of her policy don't mean poo poo, anyway. She had a good zinger about socialism that people love to quote, and really, doesn't the basic, good ol' fashioned COMMON SENSE truth of that erase all the damage she did?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Right wing media conglomerate Family Research Council has proven their rear end in a top hat label again.

FRC launches “Fight ENDA” campaign

quote:

In an effort to lobby against the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), the Family Research Council Action launched a campaign called “Fight ENDA.”

The organization’s basic argument is that “legislation affords special protection to a group that is not disadvantaged.” The campaign contains a supplementary DVD documentary entitled “ENDA: The End of Religious Freedom in America?”

As they theorize that a “government should not be closing down small businesses in this economy,” they add personal stories of their need to discriminate, such as the theoretical case of a Christian ministry being forced to include “homosexuals.”

In their new crusade, The Family Research Council listed many arguments against ENDA, including one that “the issue is not job discrimination.”

According to research by the Center for American Progress, around 43 percent of LGBT workers face discrimination or harassment in the workforce, while 90 percent of transgender people face mistreatment in the workforce.

“ENDA is hugely important for the transgender community,” the communications manager of the National Center for Transgender Equality, Vincent Paolo Villano, told 429Magazine earlier this year. “The FRC is just another example of how out of step they are with America. ENDA has overwhelming support from the public and they are disconnected.”

Many of the FRC’s key points claim religion as a legitimate reason to discriminate.

“The first ‘religious exemption’ clause is very narrow and offers no clear protection to church-related businesses” while “the second ‘religious exemption’ clause fails to offer protection for all hiring by church-related organizations or businesses.”

The rest of their initiative illustrates the “dangers” of ENDA by introducing “private, immoral behavior” into the public. FRC argues that it “would mandate the employment of homosexuals in inappropriate occupations” while violating the Constitution of religion, association and speech amongst employers and employees.

The organization has been pushing to terminate ENDA for some time. In March, the Family Research Council pleaded for donations through an email in their discriminatory campaign by calling the bill “dangerous” and “totalitarian.”

“[ENDA] is fair and equal in law. There’s nothing special. It’s fair. If I was the Family Research Council, I’d be frightened,” Out & Equal Workplace Advocates’ Chief Marketing Officer Teddy Witherington told 429Magazine earlier this year.

“Their tactics are done with fear and extortion, and those days are past as people are able to decide for themselves… We could spend the effort and resources ‘fighting’ but we do our best work in the solution. We support the passage of the legislation because it is a successful and clear business-model and moral case.”

I am going to assume the billed part is teaching jobs because what else could it be?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
That article means we must have a gay president in 2016 just to see these news sources assholes head's explode with rage.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Right wing media conglomerate Family Research Council has proven their rear end in a top hat label again.

FRC launches “Fight ENDA” campaign

I am going to assume the billed part is teaching jobs because what else could it be?

The only thing satisfying about this is knowing how these assholes will look in ~20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Mitchicon posted:

The only thing satisfying about this is knowing how these assholes will look in ~20 years.

And in the age of the search-indexed Internet and omnipresent cameraphones, we will always have the option to bust out their equivalent of attwater.mp3. The Gay Agenda will be our generation's Race Mixing is Communism. :allears: