Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

quote:

The vehicle has some corrosion on the rear quarters as you can see in the pictures

Walk away. And the fact that they left the ebrake disconnected instead of fixing it speaks volumes about how the car was taken care of. If you were looking at e46 m3s you can easily budget 8-12k to get a GOOD e36 m3. And if you weren't budgeting at LEAST 16k for an e46 m3 you should scratch that option.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Popete posted:

So it has some dings especially on the front grille which is a minus and no e-brake because it sat awhile which could be an issue, but I feel like I could use it to talk the price down. I know a bit about cars and have done some work mostly minor on my 325i e30. I should note I will be keeping my 1987 e30 at my parents during the summer/spring/fall months and then swapping out cars in the winter leaving the m3 at their place. So I am in no rush or need to buy a car at this point.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/3889605458.html

hahahahaha.

Yeah, Crusty got it, walk the gently caress away from that piece of poo poo. Just, no. I could enumerate the issues but he hit the high points. Jesus christ that thing is a trap.

e: who the hell takes pictures of their car at 3am!?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Haha good point, I probably should of spent more than a glance at it. The thought was more an e36 instead of an e46 that had be intrigued and I may have to think about it some more. I was budgeting around $17k for an e46 but the thought of having a fun and significantly cheaper e36 is definitely a possibility.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Popete posted:

So I've been looking for some time for an e46 M3, but lately I have been toying with the idea of getting a much cheaper e36 M3. I have noticed one locally that has been price dropping on Craigslist for a few weeks. it's down to $6850 with 114k miles and seems to be in well kept condition. I have thoughts of going to check it out and seeing if I fall in love with it. What are your guys thoughts on the e36's? I don't know how good they are for reliability and what the going cost is on them as I have been so focused on e46's they never really crossed my mind. What should I look out for?
I bought mine for $11,500 in March of '08, with ~115k on it.
'97 Auto Sedan (Don't Judge Me! I was coming from an '03 Vibe GT with the 6 speed. I was ready to not be shifting every goddamn 2.3 seconds at anything below 45 MPH, OK?)

It's been my daily driver, coming up on 193k, and it's the best car I've ever owned.
From memory:
2008 (new to me):
Rear shock mounts (the ones in the trunk), Exhaust hangers. $500 with labor from the local BMW speedshop (Bimmerhaus in Broomfield, CO).
Tires (Kumho Ecsta AST's) $450.
2009:
Tires (Kumho Ecsta AST's) $450
2010:
Tires (Kumho Ecsta ASX's) $450.
Radiator, $110 shipped - plus the cost of the tow home...
2011:
Tires (Dunlop Star Spec) $500. Tires (12k miles later - Back to the AST's) $200 after pro-rated wear on the Dunlops. Great tires for autocrossing, but they got 12k out of a 30k warranty...
2012:
Tires (AST's again - they've treated me well, even through Denver winters) $450.
$250 deductible paid on $1700 damage when some rear end in a pickup truck backed into the grille and bent the surround.
2013:
(done) Exhaust Hangers (again - speedbumps in my apt complex this time) $266 with labor.
5 year consumables cost: $2500
5 year repair cost: $1126

2013 To do:
Thermostat (stuck open last winter, cold engine tanked my MPG down to 17.6 at one point. I usually get 23-25.),
Control Arms, Sway bar links, Strut bearings, Struts, Tie rod ends - $2000, with tax and labor.

Here's the sadface for me. I've got a CEL, and the code indicates that it's the catalytic converter on the way out. That's a $2000 part. Refurbished. I haven't done any research on it to find alternatives yet, though.

Fix it for $4000, or shuffle it along for $5000 - that is the question.

If you're looking for gobs of power, take a pass. 240hp new, and many years and miles later, they're not going to hit that number anymore. The new (268hp) Camry SE V6 will eat your face in a freeway merge.
If you want something that feels like it's on rails? It's the perfect car.
I'm a fan of the sedan, particularly for people that haven't started a family yet. With the sedan, you won't have to get rid of it when it's time for carseats, or when you get a big dog. =)
If they'd brought the E36 Touring over, I'd have that instead.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 24, 2013

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Kenny Rogers posted:

Here's the sadface for me. I've got a CEL, and the code indicates that it's the catalytic converter on the way out. That's a $2000 part. Refurbished. I haven't done any research on it to find alternatives yet, though.

Check these out: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E36-M3/c-47-bmw-catalytic-converters.aspx

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Well, poo poo, that makes my decision SO much easier. =)

I was bummed because a non-functioning catalytic converter meant that I couldn't even EOL the car by modifying it for Spec M3 racing!

Edit: Well, that's bizarre. I created an account at Turner, and after logging in, the price on the 49 state version jumped from $525 to $619. The 50 state jumped from ~$650 to $949.
Double Edit: That's because I was looking at the OBD I cats the first time. The OBD II cat is, in fact, $619. I'm blind, or dumb, or both tonight.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 24, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Kenny Rogers posted:

Tires (Dunlop Star Spec) $500. Tires (12k miles later - Back to the AST's) $200 after pro-rated wear on the Dunlops. Great tires for autocrossing, but they got 12k out of a 30k warranty...

How on earth did you get 12K out of a set of Star Specs? Do you know how long a life that is for those tires?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I am trying to figure out third party extended warranty/mechanical breakdown plans. My dealer offers a Wheelz plan and I see Easycare and Mercury are popular options.

Any tecommendations? This is a 2007 328i with ~67K miles on it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ibntumart posted:

I am trying to figure out third party extended warranty/mechanical breakdown plans. My dealer offers a Wheelz plan and I see Easycare and Mercury are popular options.

Any tecommendations? This is a 2007 328i with ~67K miles on it.

third party warranties are almost always a terrible idea

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Those third party warranty companies are notorious for refusing to pay out claims on legitimate stuff on ordinary cars. I can't imagine how hard you'd have to fight them to fix a BMW.

I would suggest taking however much one of those plans are, and just put that into your repair fund.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Totally agree. Take whatever cost of the worthless third party warranty and just put that cash in your savings account in case of a maintenance emergency. On an N/A 3-series the best (and most likely) case you don't need it, worst case you have cash on hand for a repair. Stay on top of scheduled and preventative maintenance and you'll most likely be fine.

I bought my 2004 330ci with 55k miles (at the time) over 2 years ago and budgeted an extra $2k for any maintenance issues that may have cropped up. In the first year I didn't need any of it, a year ago spent ~$500 on an Inspection II at a good indy shop (scheduled maintenance), and in the past year have spent about $300 on parts for relatively easy/minor DIY repairs (DISA valve rebuild and chirping/squeaking HVAC blower fan).

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 24, 2013

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Couple of quick questions about my E90 325i. I need to replace pads and rotors all the way around this year, and I was hoping someone could recommend a good package deal. I know Turner and BA both have 4 wheel replacement deals, is one any better then the other?
The other question I had is if it's even worth looking in to any kind of performance upgrades for a 325i? I may or may not think about taking it to a track day here and there, but it seems like the cost/benefit ratio is pretty steep for that model. If I just wanted to make it a little more fun to throw around what should I be looking at?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Jonny 290 posted:

I would suggest taking however much one of those plans are, and just put that into your repair fund.
Particularly if you were pondering rolling the cost of the plan into the loan.

But you had the sense to ask in AI, so I presume you already knew that option would be a Very Silly Thing To Do, right?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

When I bought my last car the third party warranty I was offered cost 20% of what they were selling me the car for. Anything the company considered a wear item was excluded which was basically everything on the car. I declined.

e: vvvv :flashfap:

Galler fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 24, 2013

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got the M3 properly detailed, Todd Cooperider of Esoteric Detail is considered one of the best in the country and he lives 10 miles from me.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That's a beautiful color. Wow.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Love that color, looks like he did a hell of a job. I need to post pictures of my recently detailed M3 and watch AI freak out again but :effort:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Finally got the M3 properly detailed, Todd Cooperider of Esoteric Detail is considered one of the best in the country and he lives 10 miles from me.

Good lord, another goon hiding in the 'post!! Great color.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Who is it that sells those color-matched inserts that replace those godawful yellow reflectors on the bumper cover?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Who is it that sells those color-matched inserts that replace those godawful yellow reflectors on the bumper cover?

IND is rather well respected for those sort of things, IND Distribution

They just did this for me:

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Popete posted:

Haha good point, I probably should of spent more than a glance at it. The thought was more an e36 instead of an e46 that had be intrigued and I may have to think about it some more. I was budgeting around $17k for an e46 but the thought of having a fun and significantly cheaper e36 is definitely a possibility.
If you're trying to stay around Wisconsin, you're not going to find an e46 for 17k that isn't salvage, equally beat to hell, SMG, or from one of those shady as hell Chicago dealerships...you might be better off with an e36 that needs some work and some repair money in the bank.

There's some good ones out there in that price range. I think this is a BMWCCA member's car that I met a while back - http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/3873198888.html

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 25, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

For BMW shopping how on bmwcca and check out the classified section - http://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds/listings.php

From what I've seen and looked at in person most of the cars listed on there are well maintained and accurately represented.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

For BMW shopping how on bmwcca and check out the classified section - http://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds/listings.php

From what I've seen and looked at in person most of the cars listed on there are well maintained and accurately represented.

This is really sound advice. My experience with sellers on the CCA classifieds is always top-notch. It's one of the things that makes membership so great.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Many thanks for the advice: I will follow the goon consensus and just keep sticking money in my emergency fund instead of blowing it on an extended warranty. And yes, I did not for a moment consider rolling the cost of one into the actual loan.

Also, Koirhor, that is goddamn gorgeous.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That's LeMans right? I wish the one I found had been LeMans, my favorite color by far. Black cars are a bitch.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Kenshin posted:

third party warranties are almost always a terrible idea

I don't know about US, but I'm in Aus and got a $2500 AWN warranty "at cost" for $1300 from the dealer who is a family friend. In the first 18 months it payed out about $2200 or so, so I'm cool with it. The only downside is that I have to replace my oil every 6 months (which is about 1000km for me) - fair enough - but it has to be replaced by a licensed mechanic at my expense.

edit: still, that keeps the maintenance log in immaculate condition for resale as soon as I find a nice e90.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 25, 2013

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ibntumart posted:

Also, Koirhor, that is goddamn gorgeous.

Thank You, I barely made it in time to order one. Wanted this car since it came out 6 years ago. It's Interlagos Blue btw.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I'm looking to pickup an older BMW as a 2nd car to compliment my NB Miata (which has 203k miles now)

It's narrowed down to an e36, e39, or e46. I generally prefer smaller, simpler cars. Also a slight preference for a sedan and a manual transmission. AWD would be nice since I live in Philly and the Miata doesn't fare too well in the snow. Power is a non-concern, smallest engine is fine.

A 02-05 325xi seems like the best bet, but I'd like to get the forum's opinion before making a purchase. I'm mostly concerned with long-term reliability. My max budget is around $7500 so whatever I buy will likely be high-mileage.

jromano fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 25, 2013

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
A well-maintained e46 would certainly fit your bill, although an AWD will add some additional maintenance concerns for long-term reliability. My RWD e46 has been fantastic in the Michigan winters with a set of Blizzaks, for what it's worth.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
E36's are simple but older and (as far as I know) have no traction control, E39's are smooth but heavier, E46 -xi sounds like it's just what you're looking for.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Most later e36s will have traction control and basic stability control. Mine has never worked and it hasn't been a problem.

I would avoid an xi, but that's just me. Extra cost and complication for a pretty basic awd system and compromised handling. A rwd e39/e46 with good tires should be plenty for everything but plowing snowdrifts.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FWIW, I've driven my RWD E46 in some pretty nasty mountainous snowy conditions since it is my only car and I go skiing a lot. I've got a set of Blizzaks for winter time and they have not let me down so far.

IMO with these cars ground clearance becomes an issue long before traction does (with the right tires), so if you're looking to drive through 12 inch deep snow drifts or on snow covered dirt roads no amount of AWD is going to help you in an E46. The xi rides marginally higher than a stock RWD E46, but not enough to make any real difference.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Guinness posted:

FWIW, I've driven my RWD E46 in some pretty nasty mountainous snowy conditions since it is my only car and I go skiing a lot. I've got a set of Blizzaks for winter time and they have not let me down so far.

IMO with these cars ground clearance becomes an issue long before traction does (with the right tires), so if you're looking to drive through 12 inch deep snow drifts or on snow covered dirt roads no amount of AWD is going to help you in an E46. The xi rides marginally higher than a stock RWD E46, but not enough to make any real difference.
Another data point.
In the 5 years I've had my '97 M3 shod with Kumho Ecsta ASTs and ASXs (High- and Ultra-High performance all season tires), there's been exactly ONE day here in Denver where the roads were bad enough that I *couldn't* drive. I turned around and had to get a couple people's help to get the car back into the garage (up 4" of gently rounded curbing, as depicted). That was a bad day.

Other than that, there have been a handful of other days when I've skipped out and worked from home (or taken a vacation day) because it's a 24 mile drive for me, and the time required to go that far in traffic + snow would be excessive, but that would remain true for any vehicle, but if I *had* to be there, I was, and the driving part wasn't even particularly sketchy, just a lot slower than normal.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 25, 2013

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll forget about AWD as a requirement. Doesn't seem to be worth the extra money and mechanical complexity.

Still undecided on which model. I was told to avoid the pre-facelift E46 models. So I'm assuming that a 96-99 E36 is less problematic than a 99-01 E46?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

jromano posted:

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll forget about AWD as a requirement. Doesn't seem to be worth the extra money and mechanical complexity.

Still undecided on which model. I was told to avoid the pre-facelift E46 models. So I'm assuming that a 96-99 E36 is less problematic than a 99-01 E46?
If you look back a couple pages, you'll get a 5-year rundown on my (non gas + oil) operating costs on the M3. The tldr is about $2500 in tires, and about $1100 in repairs over 5 years, and I currently need about $2600 work to replace the (192,000 mile-old) suspension consumables and the catalytic converter at this point. Then I'll be back to just scheduled maintenance for the foreseeable future.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 25, 2013

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

So, I'm a bimmer owner now. 2009 335. I had just moved back to the states, had no car at all, and couldn't find one with a stick (Oklahoma :argh:). But the auto is actually really good.

Now I'm in Colorado, and I have no idea how car stuff goes here. Anyone know if it's okay to put catless downpipes on? It appears that there have been recent changes to the laws, and I'm not quite sure what's okay and what's not.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If you want AWD get AWD, don't be put off just because the dogma here says so.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

If you want AWD get AWD, don't be put off just because the dogma here says so.

If you want AWD, get a Subaru.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

If you want a BMW, get one. Coming from an Outback H6 I couldn't be happier with my 330xi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

So, I'm a bimmer owner now. 2009 335. I had just moved back to the states, had no car at all, and couldn't find one with a stick (Oklahoma :argh:). But the auto is actually really good.

Now I'm in Colorado, and I have no idea how car stuff goes here. Anyone know if it's okay to put catless downpipes on? It appears that there have been recent changes to the laws, and I'm not quite sure what's okay and what's not.

What's up 335 Colorado buddy :) ? There isn't anything like CARB here to my knowledge. Also, depending on your county you may not need emissions testing at all. If you do have to be tested, I think all you need to do is actually pass the quantitative tests. I passed a JDM Mazda motor once (no EGR) with a little clever plumbing; they aren't looking too closely. FWIW, my stock 07 (N54) passed a couple weeks ago with like two orders of magnitude between measured emissions and the limitations. So I guess I can say that I don't think you'll fail on the principle of having them, but I don't know if your actual emissions will be low enough to pass. My money is on passing.

Also if you're in the Denver area I've had great luck with Murry BMW thus far, just FYI.