Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
:siren: :siren: http://www.laughspin.com/2013/06/17/dave-chappelle-flight-of-the-conchords-will-headline-traveling-comedy-festival-this-summer-video/ :siren: :siren:

quote:

For years now there’s been speculation as to whether Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock would team up for a live stand-up comedy tour. Alas, it doesn’t look like it’s happening anytime soon. However, Chappelle is going on tour this summer—and not by himself. He, along with the to-be reunited Flight of the Conchords will headline 13 cities between Aug. 23 and Sept. 22 for the Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival.

Comedians Al Madrigal, Chris D’Elia, Demetri Martin, Hannibal Buress, Jim Jefferies, John Mulaney and Kristen Schaal are also set to perform.

Tickets go on sale this Friday, June 21. The tour kicks off on Aug. 23 in Austin and travels to Houston, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Tinley Park, Il, Detroit, Camden, NJ, Holmdel, NJ, Mansfield, MA, Denver, Irvine, CA, Mountain View, CA and Phoenix.

There's a ticket countdown here: http://www.funnyordie.com/oddball. If you want tickets better be F5'ing at that exact moment because this is going to sell out instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Daaaaamn. Those are big names, even if you don't include Dave Chappelle's. That should be absolutely amazing and sold out instantaneously!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Has it been announced anywhere how much tickets will be? Or does anyone have an educated guess?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

nerve posted:

Has it been announced anywhere how much tickets will be? Or does anyone have an educated guess?

Don't think the ticket prices have been announced yet but when Chappelle did a show here in Detroit last year the cheapest seats were around $50 face value so at least that much.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I hope some/most of that tour gets incorporated into JFL42. Speaking of which, they're apparently announcing this year's 3 headliners by 9am tomorrow...

e: headliners are Sarah Silverman, Aziz Ansari, and Family Guy Live. Underwhelming, but the rest of the line-up announced so far is awesome, including John Mulaney, Maria Bamford, Marc Maron, Kyle Kinane, Hannibal Buress, etc.

http://www.jfl42.com/the42/

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 18, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
New John Hodgman stand-up special on Netflix is to be released today!

edit: What do you think of Russell Brand's stand-up? I have always dismissed him due to stupid superficial reasons, but after seeing his annihilation of Morning Joe, I have to give the man a chance.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 20, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

escape artist posted:

It's up there now, I'm watching it AS WE speak TYPE. It'll be interesting, I like John Hodgman but I don't think I've ever heard his standup.

e: he's got a Bill Hicks mullet. Good sign?

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 20, 2013

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

escape artist posted:

edit: What do you think of Russell Brand's stand-up? I have always dismissed him due to stupid superficial reasons, but after seeing his annihilation of Morning Joe, I have to give the man a chance.

I really like his stand-up, I've seen 2 or 3 specials. His style reminds me of Eddie Izzard a bit, which people don't like hearing because they think I'm only saying that because they're both British, but that's not why. They really do have a similar style.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Just purchased tickets to see Seinfeld in September. Tickets were pretty pricey at $97 a pop, but I just felt like I had to do it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Tickets for the oddball fest are going on sale at 10:00 AM local time of the event so if you're on the west coast you still have a chance not to pay scalper prices. Not sure if tickets are still available for east coast shows on ticketmaster.

Cheapest tickets were $25 for lawn seats but it probably varies by city.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 21, 2013

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Trujillo posted:

Tickets for the oddball fest are going on sale at 10:00 AM local time of the event so if you're on the west coast you still have a chance not to pay scalper prices. Not sure if tickets are still available for east coast shows on ticketmaster.

Those dates are pretty terrible. Moving to the west coast was so weird for shows anyway, especially comedy, but this tour is pretty bad. If you're not in California the venues are a total crapshoot. Seriously, nothing north of San Francisco? I used to live in Florida and the tour doesn't look much better for southerners either.

It's always disappointing because I always notice it with performers who I'm positive could sell the tickets in smaller(?) cities. I can't imagine that Portland or Seattle wouldn't be able to have sold-out shows with an 'Oddball' tour. Maybe it's more scheduling than a money thing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
The John Hodgeman standup is pretty good, a lot more natural than I expected but I'm not a huge fan of the part of his oeuvre that consists of silly lists.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Trujillo posted:

Got mine for the Camden show, it was 45 for the next most expensive after the lawn tickets, plus some fees to bring it to around $60. Pretty excite for this. I've been to shows, but never to a festival.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I just watched The Maria Bamford Show and my life has been improved forever.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I asked this in the Netflix thread, but I want to get the point of view of the stand-up fans.

quote:

I have a question about the Jamie Kennedy documentary Heckler: Am I meant to take it seriously or as a joke? I honestly don't know, but I am confident that it fails badly in either case.

As much as I can tell, the parts about how it's crappy to yell poo poo at comedians while their performing are presented in earnest, but the parts with Jamie defending his films against people who were mean to him on the internet are meant to be a gag. He comes across as so gross and whiny during those parts that it just frigging has to be a joke, but something tells me he's being serious.

If you do opt to watch it (don't), keep an eye out for somethingawful.com's own Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka getting beat up by Uwe Boll.

If I was going to recommend this film to anyone, I guess it'd be you guys. But it is not good.

He seems to possess some self-awareness, and I get the feeling that much of the movie is meant to be self deprecating, but if it is, he's just so, so bad at it. I know he's been a feature performer in the Gathering of the Juggalos Fresh-rear end Comedy Tent, so the guy's got chops, but any clip they show of him doing stand-up, he is unfunny and bombing very badly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He may have some self awareness but he's also a big manbaby, so I guess he's basically the comedy Two-Face.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DangerDummy! posted:

I asked this in the Netflix thread, but I want to get the point of view of the stand-up fans.

If I was going to recommend this film to anyone, I guess it'd be you guys. But it is not good.

He seems to possess some self-awareness, and I get the feeling that much of the movie is meant to be self deprecating, but if it is, he's just so, so bad at it. I know he's been a feature performer in the Gathering of the Juggalos Fresh-rear end Comedy Tent, so the guy's got chops, but any clip they show of him doing stand-up, he is unfunny and bombing very badly.

I agree that the part dealing with actual hecklers at a show was pretty decent, but the rest was terrible. The only time I was on his side for the rest was when he was talking to the internet critic, and only because that guy was an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

Also the part where Uwe Boll proves his movies are good by beating people up was a real eye opener.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I agree that the part dealing with actual hecklers at a show was pretty decent, but the rest was terrible. The only time I was on his side for the rest was when he was talking to the internet critic, and only because that guy was an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

I thought Louie Anderson's story about the drunk heckler was pretty funny, plus Maria Bamford's story about actually hackling other comics was pretty weird. If the movie had focused on what was supposed to have been the point of the whole thing, it might have been okay. The internet critic stuff was just very whiny. That one "rape baby" guy was absolutely awful, though. There's being an internet troll, an there's being... whatever the gently caress that guy was. Jesus.

quote:

Also the part where Uwe Boll proves his movies are good by beating people up was a real eye opener.

Everything that man does makes it so satisfying to hate him. If he was a wrestler, he'd have the audiences clamoring to see him get destroyed.

Speaking of stand-up comedians and wrestling, the Andy Kaufman documentary about his adventures in pro-graps, I'm From Hollywood, is up on youtube. It's a lot of fun.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DangerDummy! posted:

I know he's been a feature performer in the Gathering of the Juggalos Fresh-rear end Comedy Tent, so the guy's got chops

Oh my goodness. Now I have to find the Paul F. Tompkins radio bit where he makes fun of this. It never ceases to crack me up, hearing Paul analyze that. "You can take a helicopter ride over to the Fresh-rear end Comedy tent..."

Oh and to the poster a few posts above me: Thanks for the Kaufman recommendation!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

escape artist posted:

Oh my goodness. Now I have to find the Paul F. Tompkins radio bit where he makes fun of this. It never ceases to crack me up, hearing Paul analyze that. "You can take a helicopter ride over to the Fresh-rear end Comedy tent..."

Oh and to the poster a few posts above me: Thanks for the Kaufman recommendation!

At 1:27:10 :smith:
http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=32311&archive=54334

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Al! posted:

The John Hodgeman standup is pretty good, a lot more natural than I expected but I'm not a huge fan of the part of his oeuvre that consists of silly lists.

Just watched it. Thought it started off really strong and just got gradually worse and worse. Pretty disappointed, honestly.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
Dave Chappelle just did three nights in town and I didn't know until today :negative:

Edit: Kinane is doing a one-nighter on Thursday that I can't make, Rory Scovel just recorded an album at Third Man Records that I forgot about...what am I doing with my life

Forum Hussy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 26, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Forum Hussy posted:

Dave Chappelle just did three nights in town and I didn't know until today :negative:

That poo poo happens to me all the time. I've been considering creating a "Comedy Hub" website that lists all comics, from household names to amateurs. Have it sorted by city/state/country, etc.

You could get alertsfor your area. Via your phone or email or facebook. I missed Bo Burnham and Bill Burr because you basically have to visit every comics individual website to find out their tour dates, which is a tedious process.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

its called LaughStub and they have a website and everything!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

escape artist posted:

It's an okay documentary, but it's a little disappointing in that it was made during the era where we were still meant to believe that wrestling is real, so it lacks a lot of honest insight, and I wish we could get a bit more of an inside look at Kaufman and Lawler working together.

If you want a more complete look at the entire feud, someone posted about 35 clips covering as much of it as he could with the material he could get his hands on. It recycles some material from I'm From Hollywood, but there's also a ton of stuff I've never seen before.

Here's part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVJPAe4-lBM

And just for the hell of it, here's the complete and uncensored Lawler/Kaufman interview on Late Night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHCx8lCl8Y

Hope you enjoy them.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^Thanks pal.

Politicalrancor posted:

its called LaughStub and they have a website and everything!

I know you like to follow me around and try and be a dick, but I know of LaughStub and they actually suck and are always incomplete. They're missing Kamau Bell and Daniel Tosh shows in my area in the next month, just for example.

And another example:

Results for "Doug Stnahope"

No upcoming events found.

Doug Stanhope has been on tour for a long time, and isn't going to stop for a while. LaughStub is awful.

What was that thing you said to me? "Oh, gently caress off" -- good advice. Maybe you should practice what you preach.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 26, 2013

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Maybe because you searched for Doug Stnahope

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

^^Thanks pal.

I know you like to follow me around and try and be a dick, but I know of LaughStub and they actually suck and are always incomplete. They're missing Kamau Bell and Daniel Tosh shows in my area in the next month, just for example.

And another example:

Results for "Doug Stnahope"

No upcoming events found.

Doug Stanhope has been on tour for a long time, and isn't going to stop for a while. LaughStub is awful.

What was that thing you said to me? "Oh, gently caress off" -- good advice. Maybe you should practice what you preach.

Don't forget, ignore exists on these forums and is a beautiful tool. I put all the mean and rude people and people who take the internet seriously on there. It's so much nicer. I already had that person on ignore too!

Is Bert Kreischer's standup any good? I think I may be insane, but I bought myself a ticket to go see Gilbert Gottfried. He's funny as poo poo in tiny doses, but I have no idea what a full set from him entails.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Ariza posted:

Don't forget, ignore exists on these forums and is a beautiful tool. I put all the mean and rude people and people who take the internet seriously on there. It's so much nicer. I already had that person on ignore too!

Is Bert Kreischer's standup any good? I think I may be insane, but I bought myself a ticket to go see Gilbert Gottfried. He's funny as poo poo in tiny doses, but I have no idea what a full set from him entails.

I haven't watched it, but he has a special on Netflix streaming if you want to make a judgement off that.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^Thanks. I need to find something else to watch on there. Hodgman's special was tremendously disappointing.

Ariza posted:

Let us know how the Gottfried show is. I'm not familiar with Bert Kreischer.

Also, if I ignored all the rude people on this forum, half the forums would be on my ignore list, and I'd also be PMing the administrators asking why I couldn't put myself on the my ignore list.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

escape artist posted:

Just watched it. Thought it started off really strong and just got gradually worse and worse. Pretty disappointed, honestly.

Hodgeman has good instincts, they're just wasted on twee nonsense, which I guess is why he fits in so well with the Maximum Fun family of podcasts.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
So has anyone listened to Posehn's new album? Any opinions?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

urk the quack posted:

So has anyone listened to Posehn's new album? Any opinions?

I watched the special on Netflix. It wasn't very good. Even compared to Fart and Weiner Jokes, which I thought was mediocre aside from a couple good stories, this one is pretty lousy. I've never been a huge fan of Posehn's standup though.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I literally thought The Fartist was The Artist (also on Netflix) for MONTHS until Posehn mentioned his special on a recent podcast. I have bad eyesight but that's a case of great parody artwork being too good!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yeah, I didn't think it was very good. He seems to have used up all of his good material on "Nerd Rage"

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
He seemed sort of funny on that comedian tour with him, Patton, and Bamford, but everything since then has been dumb. I hate his cookie monster voice when he's talking about trying to get his hot wife to gently caress him and other ogrish things. He should stick to voice over work and one episode spots on random tv shows. I think without Patton he would've faded long ago.

Edit- stupid phone.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 27, 2013

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

escape artist posted:

I'm not familiar with Bert Kreischer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PAtFsJY5q0

Bert? HE'S THE MACHINE!

e: his story was apparently the inspiration for Van Wilder, and also he's Chris Pratt's cousin.

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 27, 2013

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Ariza posted:

He seemed sort of funny on that comedian tour with him, Patton, and Bandied, but everything since then has been dumb. I hate his cookie monster voice when he's talking about trying to get his hot wife to gently caress him and other ogrish things. He should stick to voice over work and one episode spots on random tv shows. I think without Patton he would've faded long ago.

However, his podcast is a lot of fun.

Granted, he's not so much the reason why though. Patton's one short appearance on the show was better than anything Posehn has contributed to it. Posehn's kind of a likeable dumb oaf though so I feel a little bad saying that.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
So, are we generally too cool to talk about comedians like Jimmy Carr? He's very popular in Britain, and I've been getting into the "Quiz Panel" crowd stand-up guys, though I think Carr's stage presence is the funniest of the bunch--Dara O'Brien, an Irish comic, I can't even understand what he says 'cause he's machine-gunning jokes, and Stephen Merchant is funny, if kind of...pompous, I guess.

But I really like Carr--his whole shtick is being offensive, but it comes across as more acerbic than edgy--the joke isn't that he's saying a bad thing, I don't think, not in his mind at least. The joke is that people are letting him say it, laughing at it even, and that's the funnier aspect to me. He's also a very measured comedian--he'll say less to mean more, and he's good at one-liners, which I have always liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I don't think it has anything to do with cool as maybe not as many people here being familiar with Carr. He used to pop up on some Comedy Central stuff back in the 90s, but I don't think he gets much exposure Stateside these days.

More's the pity, too, as I think he's dead brilliant.