Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

They might mean this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tik-Tok_%28Oz%29

Are you a fat robot with a mustache?

That character was featured in the movie Return to Oz, so if it's from someone in their 30s who is more likely to have seen that it would make more sense.

Even without that character, I'd think calling you that word would mean that you are robotic or monotonic, not androgynous, but maybe I'm missing something.

DarkDwarf posted:

I've heard this term used once to refer to a trans friend of mine in California. He was also bipolar though, so it could as easily have been slang for that. The context didn't seem to elucidate the situation.

Well thanks. I'm a pacific islander with a pixie cut so I guess I'm androgynous or something to half blind people? I was just curious if I was insulted or something. I've never heard that phrase before V :) V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Tiggum posted:

I think you may be the first person to ever say that. If you're happy with that then carry on, but personally I prefer StylePix.

Okay, I installed StylePix to check it out. Besides the layout of the GUI, and the fact that it applies filters before I've had a chance to tweak filter settings, what's different about it?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Raimundus posted:

Can anybody recommend a cheap or free alternative program that I can use to edit photos on at least an amateur level? I mostly just want to mess with exposure and color balance for still shots, landscapes, and portraits; I'm not into airbrushing or anything else super-manipulative like that.

tarepanda posted:

But Lightroom is great for photo editing, depending on what you're trying to do. For retouching, etc. it's great. For large-scale photomanipulation and compositing, etc., not so great.

You want Lightroom if you can afford it.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Does this Neverwet thing really work?

It looks like the issue is durability. In none of those videos do they show an item being tested after being actively used.

I can imagine the treated Rubbermaid container to carry soil or what not, but you'd have to spray it again after a couple of uses. Not worth it if the cans cost $15 or more.

The ultimate application would be like with a food prep surface to make for easy clean up, but if it's not durable, chances are it flakes off and attaches to whatever food you put on it. I wouldn't want that mystery chemical in my body.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ras Het posted:

It's an obvious French loan. Something like "with sister", going back to Latin.

Yep, from consobrinus, consobrina (with son, daughter of mother's sister - with aunt's son, daughter)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Raimundus posted:

Okay, I installed StylePix to check it out. Besides the layout of the GUI, and the fact that it applies filters before I've had a chance to tweak filter settings, what's different about it?

I don't know what the thing with the filters is about, I haven't had any trouble with that, it's mostly just the GUI. Most people find GIMP pretty hard to use at first because it's so different to pretty much everything else.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Kevin DuBrow posted:

In Muslim's women's clothing, what's the difference between a buibui and a chador?

I'm a Muslim woman, and I've never heard of a buibui. Googling tells me it's East African? It's probably just the same as a chador, except that chador is what they call it in Iran.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what the thing with the filters is about, I haven't had any trouble with that, it's mostly just the GUI. Most people find GIMP pretty hard to use at first because it's so different to pretty much everything else.

It's laid out very similar to Photoshop. After having spent the past two months futzing with CS5, I was able to find everything I needed in GIMP very quickly.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Someone just called me at work claiming to be a debt collector and asked about a card with a $20k balance. I said it wasn't me (it's not) and they wanted my birth month and year to see if they had the wrong person. I gave it to them and they said they did have the wrong person and would take the number off the list. I should have taken notes but was very surprised about the whole thing till after I hung up the phone and thought about it more.

My questions are (1) what is the chance this is someone calling who just needed my birth month and year to try and steal my identity and (2) how can I make sure someone hasn't already done so and took out some card with my name and ID? My name is fairly common, so it is quite possible this was just a mistake but of course now I am paranoid.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If they had asked for your full birthdate or social I would be more worried. Sounds like maybe it was a good faith effort to make sure you were the wrong dude. I doubt someone could open a credit line in your name with just your birth month and year.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

nesbit37 posted:

My questions are (1) what is the chance this is someone calling who just needed my birth month and year to try and steal my identity and (2) how can I make sure someone hasn't already done so and took out some card with my name and ID? My name is fairly common, so it is quite possible this was just a mistake but of course now I am paranoid.

Generally they need more sensitive information than your birth date (something that is pretty much public record) to steal your identity - SSN, bank account, etc. Date of birth is a common identity checker in a lot of industries.

But if you're that paranoid, you can pull your credit report for free, although I would wait a couple weeks.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Someone just called me at work claiming to be a debt collector and asked about a card with a $20k balance. I said it wasn't me (it's not) and they wanted my birth month and year to see if they had the wrong person. I gave it to them and they said they did have the wrong person and would take the number off the list. I should have taken notes but was very surprised about the whole thing till after I hung up the phone and thought about it more.

Try looking up the number from which you got the call. And ask someone to call them just to note who picks up.
Otherwise you have given personal details to a complete stranger and have no control whatsoever over their actions.

(1) there is such a chance
(2) you can't

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Great, thanks. I just pulled my credit report from Transunion and all is good, though as mentioned I should do it again from one of the other agencies in a few weeks. I took a fraud alert out with the credit agencies a couple of months ago, I should make sure its still in effect and extend it if I can so they (hopefully) double check with me before any credit anywhere gets taken out in my name. I would call the number back but I don't know what it is. The phone I have is an old push button with no displays, and my guess is that they called with the number blocked if they were trying to collect debt anyway. Why must credit be so mysterious yet potentially life ruining by actions that are not your own?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

Surely if someone has a $20K credit card debt and is getting called by debt collectors, they'll be able to give a fake birth month and year to prove it's not them... sounds like a fishy phone call.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

nesbit37 posted:

Perhaps they were just trying to find the right Sarah Conner.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

greazeball posted:

Surely if someone has a $20K credit card debt and is getting called by debt collectors, they'll be able to give a fake birth month and year to prove it's not them... sounds like a fishy phone call.

Yeah, that's go me really concerned afterwards. I was half expecting him to follow up with a social security verification or something which would have really sent alarms going, and I definitely wouldn't have given that. Will just have to wait and see I suppose.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

nesbit37 posted:

Maybe it's not related to credit at all and could be someone fishing for one of those password security question answers?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How come whenever you apply for any government assistance or aid they want you to list the people that live with you in the house? Then they want their assets? The people I live with are not far off from the financial situation i'm in so I don't see how their incomes come into play. I get little to no support from them. I just live here.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I recently moved to a new city and am in the middle of a job search. I received a call and scheduled an interview for a position at a company that I didn't even apply to (realized this after I had gotten off of the phone and googled the phone number - some life insurance company that interviews anyone who happens to have a resume on Monster).

Could not showing up to my scheduled interview tomorrow come back to hurt me in any way? I have no desire to work at the company or industry.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Knightmare posted:

Maybe it's not related to credit at all and could be someone fishing for one of those password security question answers?

That's what I thought. As a rule, I don't answer security questions if I didn't make the call.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

Did they say what their collection company was called? Could you call that company back on their listed number and ask if they did in fact call you?

supersteve posted:

I recently moved to a new city and am in the middle of a job search. I received a call and scheduled an interview for a position at a company that I didn't even apply to (realized this after I had gotten off of the phone and googled the phone number - some life insurance company that interviews anyone who happens to have a resume on Monster).

Could not showing up to my scheduled interview tomorrow come back to hurt me in any way? I have no desire to work at the company or industry.

Call them and cancel, at least. It's kind of lovely to be a total no-show to something, even if you don't plan to interact with that company ever again. If you call and cancel and say "I'm just not interested" or if you're not forthright enough for that, "I got another job offer [lie]," you won't be throwing a wrench into anyone's day.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

alnilam posted:

Did they say what their collection company was called? Could you call that company back on their listed number and ask if they did in fact call you?

They did, but I don't recall it and didn't write it down. I was caught totally off guard I think since they called at work on my work line and I am in a shared office which just made it uncomfortable. I screwed up for sure, but all they got if it wasn't legit was my birth month and year (which I should have just lied about anyway). Hopefully if it was some sort of phishing thing they can't do much with it, especially with the fraud alert on my credit accounts.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

supersteve posted:

Was it Primerica? They're the Vector Marketing of insurance. You could show up and take a poo poo on the carpet right in front of the dude giving the presentation, and that wouldn't reflect badly on you. If anything, merely not calling them back is being generous.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

Was it Primerica? They're the Vector Marketing of insurance. You could show up and take a poo poo on the carpet right in front of the dude giving the presentation, and that wouldn't reflect badly on you. If anything, merely not calling them back is being generous.

I agree with this, but I would also mention the stupid sales pitches usually have free food and you can win some cash. Just don't write down your real contact info because they will never leave you alone. This goes for farmers, bankers, and all the other insurance companies that cold call on monster resumes.

Also get a linked in for job hunting. I got way less crap when I left monster and better jobs to apply for. YMMV.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

I got a dollar that it was Farmers Insurance. They started bugging me during a job search a few years ago, and to this day I still see stuff from them inquiring about my Monster profile when I check my spam folder.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Brother Jonathan posted:

That's what I thought. As a rule, I don't answer security questions if I didn't make the call.

Besides which if you were the person with the $20k debt then lying about your birth date would get you off the hook?

Sounds fishy.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I'm leaving the country in a couple months so I need to sell my SX4 Crossover, the car loan is through Suzuki Financial so taking the buyer down to the local bank to transfer it isn't really doable.

How do I sell a car with this type of loan? I've got about 10k left on it, so I'm probably going to put it on the market for 17k or something (Mainly need the cash to cover moving expenses).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Auto dealers have big lobbies and special protection under the law in many US states. Is this good for consumers? I'd assume it's bad for everybody except dealers, but if it were a few big car companies controlling sales instead that could be worse. Right?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

Auto dealers have big lobbies and special protection under the law in many US states. Is this good for consumers? I'd assume it's bad for everybody except dealers, but if it were a few big car companies controlling sales instead that could be worse. Right?
You could make an argument that a dealership provides a single point-of-contact for your car; somewhere it's easy to return the car to, get warranty service, etc. In addition, a dealer has a local reputation at stake for the cars they sell that you could argue a large national corporation would not.

I'm inclined to agree, though, that dealerships mostly benefit dealers. I assume this is in relation to Tesla Motors?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

You could make an argument that a dealership provides a single point-of-contact for your car; somewhere it's easy to return the car to, get warranty service, etc. In addition, a dealer has a local reputation at stake for the cars they sell that you could argue a large national corporation would not.

I'm inclined to agree, though, that dealerships mostly benefit dealers. I assume this is in relation to Tesla Motors?

Yeah, I saw an article about the Tesla situation and I was wondering if the dealers have a point about it. Not all oligopolies are created equal.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

Yeah, I saw an article about the Tesla situation and I was wondering if the dealers have a point about it. Not all oligopolies are created equal.
I think it's mostly just an antiquated model that was necessary through the early days of the car, and has grown less necessary as time has gone on.

These days, you've got tons of internet dealers (cars.com, ebay, etc.), and most people don't bring their car to the dealership for repair unless it's under warranty. We also have lemon laws at the federal level to protect the consumer.

It's sort of like how back in the day, when it was time to buy a television, you would go to an audio/video or big-box electronics store, look at the televisions, talk to the salesperson who would help you find something you need, buy it from them, get them to deliver it and set it up for you, and you'd be set. Whereas, these days, you'll wait until you see a good sale at Amazon or maybe Costco, order it, get free shipping or cart it home yourself, and plug that bitch in on your own.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
This is kind of e/n, but what can you do about neighbors who shoot off fireworks all the time?

Our neighborhood is very compact, there's only a few feet between neighboring houses, it's an urban place. There's a small apartment complex with I believe four units on the corner, it's kiddy-corner from our house. It's full of really trashy people. At any given time there are six to ten kids and adults on the front porch, their lawn is littered with cigarettes, and all the adults to is yell at their kids as they play in the street.

Anyway, for the past two weeks, starting around 5pm, they start shooting off fireworks. They start with the small ones, and then as the hours of the night go on, they move to the bigger and louder ones. If this was a Saturday I wouldn't care (that much), but it's literally every single night. I work day/nights so on any given night I am trying to sleep while they are doing this. It drives my 80 pound Malamute nuts and between him running around and whining and the window-rattling explosions, there's no sleep to be had.

Four days ago I called the cops for a noise complaint but when the squad car finally showed up 45 minutes later they had all gone inside so they took off. Last night I called again for another noise complaint, the cop talked to them for like five minutes and took off, and as the cop drove away there was an uproar of laughter. About an hour later they shot off a huge firework just as I had dozed off.

I think they knew it was me that called because they set off one of those obnoxious sparkling ones that sit on the ground and whistle and crack right in front of my house. I live in Minnesota, and fireworks that leave the ground are illegal, but the cops have to catch them setting off the illegal ones for them to get in trouble.

This is our first summer in our house (we own it), and I don't want to be dealing with this for the entire loving summer, and and for however many years we live here, and I certainly don't want to be bothering the cops every time they set off fireworks, because it would be literally every night. I'm not getting enough sleep, and every night my dog gets scared. Is there anything else I can do besides keep calling the cops and complaining?

I'm too scared to go and talk to them because they seem to know most everyone on the block and I don't want to become "the enemy." I can't guarantee that they know it was me that called, but it seemed odd to set off that firework in front of my house. Also, I am a 24 year old female and I feel too intimidated to go talk to a group of ten drunk rednecks.

I guess this turned into a huge rant, sorry.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Koivunen posted:

I'm too scared to go and talk to them because they seem to know most everyone on the block and I don't want to become "the enemy." I can't guarantee that they know it was me that called, but it seemed odd to set off that firework in front of my house. Also, I am a 24 year old female and I feel too intimidated to go talk to a group of ten drunk rednecks.

That should have been your first step. Take your dog over (everyone loving loves dogs), maybe a male friend, introduce yourself, say that the fireworks really wind up your dog and make it impossible for either of you to sleep and you'd appreciate it if they could tone it down a bit.

Calling the cops right off the bat would make you more of "the enemy" than talking to them like human beings.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

tarepanda posted:

That should have been your first step. Take your dog over (everyone loving loves dogs), maybe a male friend, introduce yourself, say that the fireworks really wind up your dog and make it impossible for either of you to sleep and you'd appreciate it if they could tone it down a bit.

Calling the cops right off the bat would make you more of "the enemy" than talking to them like human beings.

She's already called the cops, if she does that they will know for sure it was her.

You'll either have to keep calling the cops, or just wait it out two more weeks. Fireworks stands will go away, and their supply will run out.

Get a big fan/air purifier/white noise generator.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I honestly don't know if this question can be answered easily or not, but, recently a friend of mine was talking about how different some of the areas of Washington State are. She mentioned driving from Port Angeles to Sequim and then taking a ferry across to Seattle. Sequim, apparently, is in a rainshadow, and therefore is way less rainy and wet than other areas of western Washington. The climate looks very nice, with very moderate temperatures. My question is, if this is an area with pretty desirable weather, nice landscapes, both mountains and water nearby, good seafood, etc. why is it not a more populous area? I would think it would be overrun with people wanting nicer weather, like most of coastal California. It seems like it's really remote, but I don't really understand why it is.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Sieg posted:

She's already called the cops, if she does that they will know for sure it was her.

I know she's already called the cops -- I was pointing out that it was an rear end in a top hat move and she should have talked to them like normal human beings instead of, as was implied, "not human" "rednecks."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Amelia Song posted:

I honestly don't know if this question can be answered easily or not, but, recently a friend of mine was talking about how different some of the areas of Washington State are. She mentioned driving from Port Angeles to Sequim and then taking a ferry across to Seattle. Sequim, apparently, is in a rainshadow, and therefore is way less rainy and wet than other areas of western Washington. The climate looks very nice, with very moderate temperatures. My question is, if this is an area with pretty desirable weather, nice landscapes, both mountains and water nearby, good seafood, etc. why is it not a more populous area? I would think it would be overrun with people wanting nicer weather, like most of coastal California. It seems like it's really remote, but I don't really understand why it is.

Having slightly nicer weather then Seattle isn't enough to bring in jobs and without jobs there or close by there's little reason to live there for most people. And Seattle originally developed because it had an excellent natural harbor area for oceangoing ships, while Sequim doesn't appear to have anything like that.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Install Gentoo posted:

Having slightly nicer weather then Seattle isn't enough to bring in jobs and without jobs there or close by there's little reason to live there for most people. And Seattle originally developed because it had an excellent natural harbor area for oceangoing ships, while Sequim doesn't appear to have anything like that.

Furthermore, the geography of the area means that Sequim is damned inconvenient to drive to. It looks like a 125-mile drive to Seattle, and you're probably wasting as many miles going South if you're interested in going east. Seattle is still a huge harbor - it's the shortest shipping route to most of Asia. It matters how easy it is to get goods in and out of the city.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I am flying United from Dallas to Lihue in a few months. I have only a few thousand MileagePlus points with United, not enough to do anything with. I do, however, have a metric shitload of Amex points. Is there a reasonable way to get my Amex points into something that would allow me to upgrade my seat from coach to first class, without taking a beating on converting the points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

b0nes posted:

How come whenever you apply for any government assistance or aid they want you to list the people that live with you in the house? Then they want their assets? The people I live with are not far off from the financial situation i'm in so I don't see how their incomes come into play. I get little to no support from them. I just live here.

Unfortunately it's the "welfare queens" myth that makes that possible.

Actual student aid fraud is so minuscule it's hilarious they even have a rule for it.

Koivunen posted:

I'm too scared to go and talk to them ...

Expect nothing to change, no mater where you are. You're a neighbor, let them know in a polite way that it's a problem for you.

You won't because: "It's full of really trashy people. At any given time there are six to ten kids and adults on the front porch, their lawn is littered with cigarettes, and all the adults to is yell at their kids as they play in the street."

Make better buying decisions, that's your solution.