Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

Guuse posted:

I guess the legeater is the surest thing, but it isn't unique.

So in which other North American city has that exact legeater design been also found in the last 31 years of treasure hunting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Imazul posted:

So in which other North American city has that exact legeater design been also found in the last 31 years of treasure hunting?

How many leg eaters were destroyed in the last 31 years when a handful of people were looking for them?

I would love for a St. Louis goon to look all over Forest Park for one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Imazul posted:

None had been found anywhere until the one was seen in Montreal. It took 25 years to find that one.

It might be the one Preiss had in mind, it might not be. The one he intended as a landmark may no longer exist for all we know.

We do know that there are many of them in Palermo, Sicily, so they've been available. There may be one sitting outside an Italian restaurant right now in some city nobody has thought to look at yet.

We know Montreal is a possibility. We do not know it's a certainty.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

How many leg eaters were destroyed in the last 31 years when a handful of people were looking for them?

I don't believe I've seen anything that ornate in Forest Park, but I mostly stick to the museums, the zoo, and occasionally the coffee place. Someone might want to check out the Jewel Box or the World's Fair Pavilion.

(I still think the legeater's Montreal, though.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Casque 9

This is something that's been bugging me about his face. It's showing two emotions at once:

Here's the right side of his face, mirrored:

And here's the left side of his face, mirrored:

It's like the tragedy/comedy drama masks. It must be significant, but I'm not sure why. :(

Sorry if it's old news, I don't remember seeing it.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
I've lived in Vancouver most of my life and I can't connect any of the iconography from the picture to anything that is remotely familiar.

Give me an outline of the mountains or shoreline or something that mirrors local architecture. How does the collar line fit? The top left corner of his hat? The shape of his hands? As much as I'd love for it to be Vancouver, I don't have one solid or even plausible connection.

Edit: ^^ I wonder what mirroring does to the collar?

Viking Blood fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 25, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

einTier posted:

Except that area didn't look like that in 1982. It looks so nice today and such a perfect fit that I also ignored the problems for a long time.

1978 on left, 1989 on right.

Unknown when these images were taken, but one is obviously pre-2004 and the other is something much more recent.

Yes, the ball is the right size and the length right, but remember that in 1982, someone couldn't be expected to easily do this overlay like we can today. Even still, the main reason it matches today is because the reflecting pond has been expanded and updated and there's a lot more definition to it. Previously, it didn't tie to the circle nearly so well, and doesn't really look like a ball on a pillar like it does today. There also wasn't as much at the bottom to form a "base", which is part of why it fits so well today. Your gif also expands the pole all the way down to the pond, when it didn't extend nearly that far. Without expanding it that far, it fits the circle less well.

Remember, look at things as they were, not as they are. Plus, previous map correlations aren't large images in the foreground, they're maps lurking in the background and fairly indistinct at that. Perhaps he changed it up for this image, but I think we're looking for a pretty common "globe on a pole" motief. It likely fits in a lot of places.

There's also a Hermann Square near Tranquility Park. I'm currently reading Pierre, wondering why he chose to quote from it. I don't think it's as simple as "Herman Melville" = "Hermann Park".

Sure, I get that. But many major markers haven't changed that much and the ones that have, we do have historic photos of them. Where's the identifiers?

The "four alike" we've discussed before. It's possible, but where's the "three winged and slight?" Is it the traffic circle? What image tells us to dig at Sam Houston's statue?

There's a lot of problems with the Hermann Park solution and people want to accept it as if it's gospel. I liked it too, I really did. I was convinced for a while, though never about the Children's Zoo. But the more I read through the original reasoning at Q4T and looked for the evidence in the image, the less sure I became. Considering all the work that's been done in and around that park, I think we've convinced ourselves of something that just isn't true and we keep saying, "but it has to be" because we've already confirmed to ourselves that it must be true.

Hell, there's a little question mark next to my post. Click it and you'll see all the posts I've made in this thread. You'll see where I was so certain the cask was in Hermann Park, but what I keep finding is that to remain convinced its there, I'm starting with the "you're in the right area" clues and then when trying to build a case to the more specific stuff there's just nothing that fits. Everything that should be leading you to the specific area is a reach and only narrows things down to very large and general areas. Granted, some things shouldn't make sense at this date, but you should be able to piece together more than a line or two. Hermann Park is a reach.

Where's the Djinn?
Where's the pillars (foreground)?
Where's the pillars (background)?
Where's the water spout (or whatever it is) under the Djinn?
Where's the paving stones?
Where's that odd shaped block in the background -- and no, Miller Auditorium's anchors don't fit, their slope reaches the ground.
Where's the fortress?
Friendship?
Small, split, three winged and slight?
Tower of delight? Falling in December night?

Seriously, the Hermann Park solution leaves more questions than it has answers.

Oh god it's getting harder rookhunter where are you please give me permission to share some stuff with this person IT HURTS THE PAIN IT HURTS SO BAD!!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Viking Blood posted:

I've lived in Vancouver most of my life and I can't connect any of the iconography from the picture to anything that is remotely familiar.

Give me an outline of the mountains or shoreline or something that mirrors local architecture. How does the collar line fit? The top left corner of his hat? The shape of his hands? As much as I'd love for it to be Vancouver, I don't have one solid or even plausible connection.

Edit: ^^ I wonder what mirroring does to the collar?

Ask and ye shall receive:

ed: I doubt picture 9 would go with Vancouver. Picture 12 might - it's the Russian one, and Russian America was Alaska.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

What does Vancouver have to do with Alaska?

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*
I think this number is clearer than the other hair curls, but it's not a coordinate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Casque 9

This is something that's been bugging me about his face. It's showing two emotions at once:

Here's the right side of his face, mirrored:

And here's the left side of his face, mirrored:

It's like the tragedy/comedy drama masks. It must be significant, but I'm not sure why. :(

Sorry if it's old news, I don't remember seeing it.

That's actually really interesting. Urban Smurf mentioned thinking that there may be a fold-in picture that could be obtained from the drawing on account of the guy's resemblance to Alfred E. Neuman and this is something similar.

Deteriorata posted:

Ask and ye shall receive:

ed: I doubt picture 9 would go with Vancouver. Picture 12 might - it's the Russian one, and Russian America was Alaska.

Victoria Tower bell possibility for whoever mentioned Ottawa earlier?

I think the other has been mirrored before without making a dome match, but that is what it looks like.

Prof. Numbers posted:

I think this number is clearer than the other hair curls, but it's not a coordinate.

Eh, I still get a 9 or a 6 from that before 2.

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*

Guuse posted:

I don't think we're talking about the same hairs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MassaShowtime posted:

What does Vancouver have to do with Alaska?

Geographical proximity. He mentions in the story about the Russians encountering the Mohicans (page 23, from here):

Preiss was well versed in mythology and the creation myths of the various indigenous tribes. The whole book is basically him showing off about what he knew of mythology and tales of both the Old World and the New. He certainly knew this:

quote:

In the early 1700's, Hendrick Aupaumut, Mohican Historian, wrote that a great people traveled from north and west. They crossed waters where the land almost touched. ... What is meant by the "north and west" and "waters where the land nearly touched" is not known. The Bering Strait theory is questionable, based on current research.) For many, many years they moved across the land, leaving settlements in rich river valleys as other moved on.

In 1980, the Bering Strait hypothesis was the only one going so it's undoubtedly what Preiss would have understood it to mean. Since he's got most of the ethnic groups moving to where they are most traditionally associated, the Russian fairies would head for Alaska.

Out of all of that, I get that he's implying the Russian fairies met the Mohicans before they had reached New York state, but after they had crossed the Bering Strait. The fairies were headed north and west the Mohicans were heading south and east. Elsewhere in the story Vancouver features prominently, so Vancouver as their meeting-place seems a reasonable deduction.

That is how I get a possible connection between the Russian image and Vancouver. It's an educated guess, but not a bad one IMO.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 25, 2013

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Vancouver

Just an observation: the collar shape isn't entirely dissimilar from lost lagoon in Stanley park, rotated by 90 degrees. The lagoon was redeveloped in '86 as part of the expo, but I've tried a few rotations and it's not a very good fit; that said it's reasonably close, as in it could be traced from an aerial shot of the lagoon at an angle. Like I said, not a strong lead, but combined with Siwash rock as the inner collar, it may be something.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Geographical proximity. He mentions in the story about the Russians encountering the Mohicans (page 23, from here):

Preiss was well versed in mythology and the creation myths of the various indigenous tribes. The whole book is basically him showing off about what he knew of mythology and tales of both the Old World and the New. He certainly knew this:

In 1980, the Bering Strait hypothesis was the only one going so it's undoubtedly what Preiss would have understood it to mean. Since he's got most of the ethnic groups moving to where they are most traditionally associated, the Russian fairies would head for Alaska.

Out of all of that, I get that he's implying the Russian fairies met the Mohicans before they had reached New York state, but after they had crossed the Bering Strait. The fairies were headed north and west the Mohicans were heading south and east. Elsewhere in the story Vancouver features prominently, so Vancouver as their meeting-place seems a reasonable deduction.

That is how I get a possible connection between the Russian image and Vancouver. It's an educated guess, but not a bad one IMO.

Except that that part of the book has nothing to do with the puzzle because he didn't write it and its been made pretty clear that its just filler and not to do with the treasure hunt.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

I've asked a St. Louis goon to be on the lookout. I specifically asked about Tower Grove Park area, I will ask him about Forest Park. AFAIK, the goon hasn't taken an interest in the thread. However, he's super smart, and into photography. He was going to be downtown doing some things, so I passed along the high res. picture of Cask 9, and asked him to take pictures. I also showed him our legeater, and asked if he's seen any. He would be the type of person to see something like that and photograph it.

Hopefully he'll come through!

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012

einTier posted:

I'm not 100% sold on it myself. Every time I look over the Hermann Park solution, I am drawn to that damned 982 locomotive and I love the "small of scale, step across" referring to the miniature trains. I can't tell you how much those things call to me.

...and yet, nothing else really seems to fit. Sure, the rhino and camel could refer to the zoo, but if so, why are they different? Why does nothing else in the image fit anywhere in Hermann Park without some serious mental gymnastics? Seriously, in every image that's been solved so far, there's always been very relevant imagery that shows you exactly where the cask is and some very important landmarks to get you in the general vicinity. If the 982 is so goddamn important, where is it in the image? Where are the columns? What's with the columns in the background? Where's the Djinn? The water/smoke/whatever under him?

There's not much in the image, but we can't even seem to definitively match anything there. Long parts of the verse go unmatched. I also think that originally Preiss was helping wilhouse out -- "don't dig there" -- but wilhouse was so stuck on Hermann Park and the Children's Zoo in particular, I don't think he could have been deterred unless Preiss said outright "you will not find it in the zoo or Hermann Park". I still think that his last comments about the dig in the CZ not being a waste but no guarantees about what would be found were a subtle hope that he would finally give up the fool's errand of the park and zoo and look elsewhere -- "all I can say is I". Wilhouse never did figure out what that meant and eventually discarded it even though Preiss apparently thought it was a pretty strong push and important enough to state despite the fact he'd never given such overt hints for other casks.

I've also got some weak theories about it being at Johnson Space Center, but I really can't substantiate them at this time and I'm aware I may just be reaching because I've been looking at space stuff so much in relation to Tranquility Park.

I refer back to what I said about Charleston earlier:

If he buried it at Ft. Sumter, it would stand to reason that you'd really want to go asking for permission before you went digging for something buried in a National Park where you're likely to be discovered. It seems that all other prospective sites would be accessible under cover of darkness -- but not this one. It would also stand to reason that he might have asked for permission to dig from the Superintendent in 1981 -- who would also be likely to grant permission ("make sure they come ask for permission before they dig it up, ok?") and would know the basic location of the cask. Has anyone asked that guy about it?

It looks like this guy is who we should ask: John Tucker retires -- 2005.

I think if someone can find a way to get in touch with John Tucker, he might have a fair idea where our Charleston cask might be buried or he might be able to tell us who was there from 1980-1989 and how to contact him. It's worth a shot.

I'll ask at work today about John Tucker (I work at the Fort Sumter Visitor's center). I can't give names or anything away but I'm pretty positive I can get out to the Fort during the day and not have much trouble digging. With this new job a whole new way it could have been buried at the Fort Occurred to me. Normally, the way we sell tickets out to the Fort, there's never much time that you could actually have alone on the Fort. However, visitors are allowed to do the "extended stay" where you can basically stay on the Fort for about 4 hours. Now, you would still be somewhat supervised, but that gets rid of the time constraints issue. According to several of the employees I talked to at the Fort, it might not have actually been as hard to dig at the Fort as previously thought. Apparently, it wasn't until the early 1990's that they started really getting kind of serious about conserving the Fort and making sure people didn't take bricks home with them. One of my friends from work said he would not be surprised if, back in the 70's and 80's, someone just started digging a small hole and no one said anything to him. Now, to put this all into context, I still don't believe that the Cask is at Fort Sumter. However just because of how few places it could actually be (there's only so much exposed dirt on the island) on Fort Sumter, and the fact that many of our clues in the verses deal with the fort, I think it would be a good place to eliminate from consideration. I will definitely ask about John Tucker today and I will just generally ask around to see if anyone has even heard of the Casks.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

PunkNickel posted:

I've asked a St. Louis goon to be on the lookout. I specifically asked about Tower Grove Park area, I will ask him about Forest Park. AFAIK, the goon hasn't taken an interest in the thread. However, he's super smart, and into photography. He was going to be downtown doing some things, so I passed along the high res. picture of Cask 9, and asked him to take pictures. I also showed him our legeater, and asked if he's seen any. He would be the type of person to see something like that and photograph it.

Hopefully he'll come through!

I used to live on on Tower Grove so this would be great if one were there. There are a lot of good parks in Saint Louis. I miss it!

I suppose the leg eater could be on the Hill someplace.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MassaShowtime posted:

Except that that part of the book has nothing to do with the puzzle because he didn't write it and its been made pretty clear that its just filler and not to do with the treasure hunt.

That's an assertion many have made, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence to back it up. I spent a lot of time on image 12 and it doesn't have much of a New York feel about it.

Bog Chef
Apr 20, 2004

make me a pizza with toileto toppings
I've had a brief look at these pictures and I'm fairly certain that cryptic puzzles are not what I was born to be good at (combined with living in London and not having local knowledge of these cities to supplement), however I read this thread end to end last week and it's now the first one I check in GBS.

I'm really hoping that of the ten remaining casks, goons can solve one and the cask location is intact (San Francisco, Boston and New Orleans sound like the cask may have been destroyed)

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I don't believe Preiss had nothng to do with the LotJ. He may have not written it but that doesn't mean he didn't supply a playbook or a list of words to exercise his lampoon writers who had no direct knowledge of his casque locations.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Egbert confirmed 100% when he met Preiss that the rest of the book has nothing to do with the treasure. There was no hint, no coyness, he said it very directly.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

xie posted:

Egbert confirmed 100% when he met Preiss that the rest of the book has nothing to do with the treasure. There was no hint, no coyness, he said it very directly.

Did he also confirm that the verse he worked off of (verse 4) actually matched with his cask site? I was surprised reading through the verse thread on q4t how much of the verse could not be matched to the final location. Given that there was also Xenophon and Thucydides at his location, could it be that, since it was largely an image match, verse 4 is still in play and that somehow verse 3 fit Cleveland? I agree there are some pretty good clues such as the "find the columns" but it seems that a lot of things can be shoehorned into these verses if one tries.

Just a thought - there's enough in verse 3 to make one think of Boston but would hate to be on a wild goose chase because we accepted something as truth. Chicago fits perfectly.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Guuse posted:

I see a 39 instead of a 12. The first number has a bottom curl to the left like a 3. The other is most definitely a 9.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Urban Smurf posted:

I don't believe Preiss had nothng to do with the LotJ. He may have not written it but that doesn't mean he didn't supply a playbook or a list of words to exercise his lampoon writers who had no direct knowledge of his casque locations.

I find it significant that the two found were for ethnic groups with no strong geographical area associated with them. The Irish were everywhere, not just Boston, and Greeks were nowhere in particular. Coincidentally, those groups get scant mention in the book and their images included strong geographical clues to indicate where they were.

The groups that get talked about the most in the book all ended up where they have strong geographical attachments. Most of those connections have been made by people apparently working independently of the text.

I'm working from the assumption that the story was intended to be an integral part of the solution to most of the casques. Ignoring the text hasn't produced much, so maybe it will be useful.

xie posted:

Did he state that it was irrelevant for all of them, or just for the Chicago casque? The latter is certainly true.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 25, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Deteriorata posted:

Did he state that it was irrelevant for all of them, or just for the Chicago casque? The latter is certainly true.

All of them. This is really just wanting something to be true that isn't at this point.

Did he also confirm that the verse he worked off of (verse 4) actually matched with his cask site? I was surprised reading through the verse thread on q4t how much of the verse could not be matched to the final location. Given that there was also Xenophon and Thucydides at his location, could it be that, since it was largely an image match, verse 4 is still in play and that somehow verse 3 fit Cleveland? I agree there are some pretty good clues such as the "find the columns" but it seems that a lot of things can be shoehorned into these verses if one tries.

Just a thought - there's enough in verse 3 to make one think of Boston but would hate to be on a wild goose chase because we accepted something as truth. Chicago fits perfectly.

Verse 4 is full of exact locations on the wall to dig from - what doesn't match? The article about the find from 2004 talks about the verse specifically, I believe.

edit: Verse 4 is a flawless match - what doesn't fit? The names in the verse are even carved on the wall. http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148511/4_verse

xie fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 25, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xie posted:

All of them. This is really just wanting something to be true that isn't at this point.

Do you have a link to the quote? I've learned not to take peoples' word for it on this stuff.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Do you have a link to the quote? I've learned not to take peoples' word for it on this stuff.

He didn't say it in an interview or an e-mail. He met Egbert in person at the vault. The author confirmed with no uncertainty that the rest of the book has nothing to do with the treasure - you'll have to go read through the thread on Q4T, as I don't think it made the newspaper article.

I'm sorry your theory is wrong, but the other two puzzles were solved without the rest of the book, and so will these 10.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xie posted:

He didn't say it in an interview or an e-mail. He met Egbert in person at the vault. The author confirmed with no uncertainty that the rest of the book has nothing to do with the treasure - you'll have to go read through the thread on Q4T, as I don't think it made the newspaper article.

I'm sorry your theory is wrong, but the other two puzzles were solved without the rest of the book, and so will these 10.

Fine. Ignoring the book has produced nothing, so I'm going back and questioning assumptions. The worst I can do is equal to what's already been done.

VVVVV That makes perfect sense. The "Field Guide" is a bunch of silliness that obviously has no connection to anything.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 25, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Ignoring the book has produced nothing, so I'm going back and questioning assumptions.

Good idea.

Once again, Preiss confirmed to Egbert that the countries of origin were connected with the casque sites. The introduction which deals with this topic and includes the litany and maps was pretty obviously written by Preiss and contains at least one direct clue IMHO, regarding the Spanish puzzle and the Fountain of Youth in Florida. Preiss also told Egbert that the material following the verses contained no additional clues. This "Field Guide" is the section which was put together by the writers from National Lampoon. (Despite this assertion, it's still interesting to glance at, though it's not available online.)

BJG fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 25, 2013

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Oh god it's getting harder rookhunter where are you please give me permission to share some stuff with this person IT HURTS THE PAIN IT HURTS SO BAD!!

Permission granted. Hopefully we will have a casque soon to share with everyone.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

rookhunter posted:

Permission granted. Hopefully we will have a casque soon to share with everyone.

Oh, you tease. Honestly Rookhunter, you're being unnecessarily mean, raising their hopes like this. ;)

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

rookhunter posted:

I'm really hoping this means I don't have to read Pierre. Ayn Rand was bad enough, but Melville writes in that 19th century style that I hate. It's overly wordy and everything thing is hidden behind multiple layers of meaning. I tried reading it again last night, and by the time I got to the "tallest tower of delight" section, I wanted to poke my eyes out.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

xie posted:

Verse 4 is full of exact locations on the wall to dig from - what doesn't match? The article about the find from 2004 talks about the verse specifically, I believe.

edit: Verse 4 is a flawless match - what doesn't fit? The names in the verse are even carved on the wall. http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148511/4_verse

If you read the thread about the verse on q4t, you'll see a lot more half-baked ideas about Italy plus Vatican equals two countries (and the US and Greece thing is a stretch). It sounds like from his post that he couldn't really use the square things and just did the hop up to justify the location. Certainly those dead Greek guys were on the monument but the other dead Greek guys Thucydides and Xenophon are on the very plaque in question so...I think it's at least a reasonable mental exercise to try and poke holes in it. Again, it seems that verse 3 matches Boston pretty well but Cleveland had a coliseum and maybe there's more that I just don't know that fits pretty well there, too.

I think that the Cambridge Commons is a great fit so far and think it would be nice to go to the history commission and see if we can get more information about it. Also, even thought I've walked by the stairs outside of Harvard T stop many time but there is definitely a circular aspect to it that I would like to better trace because, surprisingly, I cannot find a great outline of it on an image search.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

The Harvard T stop was completely redone though, wasn't it? I'm under the impression that Harvard Square proper looks nothing like it did even 10-15 years ago.

I think the solution listed on that wiki is needlessly complex. Beneath two countries - either Italy/Greece or just the fact that the Greek one was between two others (Italy/Lithuania) make more sense than USA being one of them. I guess being a greek thing on US soil makes some sense too.

It gets you to the gardens, the road curving gets you to a very close location, the images get you even closer, and then the almost step by step directions take over.

Not sure about the hops, could just be something that disappeared in the 22 years.

Chicago was solved with an "incorrect" understanding of the verse, so it's absolutely possible, and we only actually found out what M&B meant in 2004.

xie fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 25, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
InvictaHOG, I remember that Vatican theory. It was the only place in the world where full country status existed 100% within the borders of another country. Not a stretch one bit, a highly specific solution actually. Since there's no "maybe" in that idea, there's nothing half-baked, [though I've been half-baked for much of my life, let's not make this personal.] I'm sure you've looked closely at the map (many changes to the gardens must be taken into account) and there's no way to see this as beneath or (south of) two contries. Once you rule out the phyically impossible you have to resort to understanding how an informed understanding of Italy relates to the location.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 25, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Urban Smurf posted:

InvictaHOG, I remember that Vatican theory. It was the only place in the world where full country status existed 100% within the borders of another country. Not a stretch one bit, a highly specific solution actually. Since there's no "maybe" in that idea, there's nothing half-baked, [though I've been half-baked for much of my life, let's not make this personal.]

What about San Marino? It is also fully within Italy and that makes three countries. The Vatican idea makes no sense and doesn't fit at all.

I don't know about the Harvard station but I would be interested in knowing more about the history there.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

It was the only place in the world where full country status existed 100% within the borders of another country.

There are many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vui-qGCfXuA

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

What about San Marino? It is also fully within Italy and that makes three countries. The Vatican idea makes no sense and doesn't fit at all.

I don't know about the Harvard station but I would be interested in knowing more about the history there.

San Marino is not 100% surrounded by Italy, it shares a border with the sea.

Edit:

Oh, I stand corrected. I recall researching for awhile and ruling out San Marino for some reason. It's complicated stuff when you look at all the enclaving and whatnot. Maybe it's something about the word "country" vs Sovereign Nation or Republic. Ugh, I'll have to go back and delve.

Deadit: I delved enough to say I can't conclude that Italy is 2 countries. It's one really, and has 2 enclaves within it. If only the line read "Beneath two enclaves...".

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Urban Smurf posted:

InvictaHOG, I remember that Vatican theory. It was the only place in the world where full country status existed 100% within the borders of another country. Not a stretch one bit, a highly specific solution actually. Since there's no "maybe" in that idea, there's nothing half-baked, [though I've been half-baked for much of my life, let's not make this personal.] I'm sure you've looked closely at the map (many changes to the gardens must be taken into account) and there's no way to see this as beneath or (south of) two contries. Once you rule out the phyically impossible you have to resort to understanding how an informed understanding of Italy relates to the location.

Lesotho fully exists within South Africa.

Now, did it 20 years ago? I'm not sure.