Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ofaloaf posted:

I had a go at testing out the CK2(+)->EU3(DAO/MiscMods) port and... well. Went off the rails fairly quickly.

Elsewhere some guys already suggested that amping up the BB costs for provinces might help out a lot. What are some of the easier tweaks that can be done to improve AI behavior, without trying to port and adapt Wiz's AI events wholesale?

That honestly doesn't look as bad as you seem to be saying. Rum is expanding where the Ottomans historically expanded, Poland is asserting itself as the Central European power, Castille the same.. sure, some borders are iffy, and Ukraine is just being silly, but I don't really see an Issue.

EDIT: Hell, you've even got a France forming, which seems to never happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Beamed posted:

That honestly doesn't look as bad as you seem to be saying. Rum is expanding where the Ottomans historically expanded, Poland is asserting itself as the Central European power, Castille the same.. sure, some borders are iffy, and Ukraine is just being silly, but I don't really see an Issue.

To be fair, that Ukraine snake in the last pic makes me want to throw up, and I feel kinda bad for Agypte.

On the plus side, go Scotland go! :scotland:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ukraine owns, not all states can or should aspire to the roundness of most goons.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darkrenown posted:

Oh ok, go on then :)

(We do want to explain things better ingame though, I think I have mentioned it here already, but we have a UI guy now who is focused on this kind of thing)

This really shows in CK2 and MotE. In vicky2 there are 10 million different modifiers with different names and percents and none of them are explained. The UI and ease of playing are so much better in your recent games it's night and day.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

It might be cool if future titles with that level complexity had an in game "combat sim" where you could design a unit of any arbitrary tech level/org/whatever and throw it against any other arbitrarily designed unit (on a province where you could define terrain and fort level) and it would spit out the results of like a hundred combats.

I would just drop 90% of that level of complexity entirely. Fighting wars on the scale of HoI isn't about having a better rifle for your infantry or a faster engine for your tanks. Even customising the makeup of your divisions is problematic because how nations constructed their divisions (eg. compare what a UK, French and German armoured division looks like in 1940) was determined by how those nations had chosen to fight the next war. Giving the player the freedom to custom build his divisions is one of the missteps that HoI3 makes which loses it all of the sense of being in WW2 and instead puts you into alternate-history world of generic identical armies fighting each other.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Regarding understanding Victoria 2, this dude has made a great infographic regarding production in his LP(which is great by the way) and has other nice tutorials as well. Production and World Market is the most head scratching aspect of Vicky 2 but once you understand it actually makes sense in it's own weird way.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

uPen posted:

This really shows in CK2 and MotE. In vicky2 there are 10 million different modifiers with different names and percents and none of them are explained. The UI and ease of playing are so much better in your recent games it's night and day.

The modifiers by themselves aren't too bad as long as you can find out what they do -somewhere-, even if it's just in an online manual or wiki or something. The worst part about Vic 2 tooltips are the ones that are supposed to describe why you can or can't enact a decision, and they are a full screen's length of nested if/and/or logical statements

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

I would just drop 90% of that level of complexity entirely. Fighting wars on the scale of HoI isn't about having a better rifle for your infantry or a faster engine for your tanks. Even customising the makeup of your divisions is problematic because how nations constructed their divisions (eg. compare what a UK, French and German armoured division looks like in 1940) was determined by how those nations had chosen to fight the next war. Giving the player the freedom to custom build his divisions is one of the missteps that HoI3 makes which loses it all of the sense of being in WW2 and instead puts you into alternate-history world of generic identical armies fighting each other.

Fair enough. I'm not a fan of the crazy ultra complexity myself. But if that's how the game is going to be it would be cool if some tools like that to understand it better were included.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

fspades posted:

Regarding understanding Victoria 2, this dude has made a great infographic regarding production in his LP(which is great by the way) and has other nice tutorials as well. Production and World Market is the most head scratching aspect of Vicky 2 but once you understand it actually makes sense in it's own weird way.

That's fantastic

I definitely agree with what you were saying about the numbers in Alchenar. Victoria 2's main problem is that it doesn't tell you what everything does upfront. I can't wait for Victoria 3 with Paradox's new better interface design.:allears:

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 25, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just noticed Green Man Gaming is offering one of their own preorder bonuses on EUIV, $7 cashback or $10 GMG credit for the regular edition; $8/$12 on the Digital Extreme.

Doesn't seem like the current 20% voucher applies, though, and I can't remember if it's a blanket thing that you can never use a voucher on a cashback preorder or if some games allow it and some don't. Might wait to see if Amazon comes up with a nice deal but I don't imagine anyone else will beat this. (EUIV is Steamworks, of course.)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fintilgin posted:

It might be cool if future titles with that level complexity had an in game "combat sim" where you could design a unit of any arbitrary tech level/org/whatever and throw it against any other arbitrarily designed unit (on a province where you could define terrain and fort level) and it would spit out the results of like a hundred combats.

Then you could tweak your unit and try again.

Let the player play with the stats and techs in a contained environment to understand them in a deeper way than just shooting for Bigger Numbers.

It's a lot harder to get a sense of this stuff while you're running hundreds of units of all different types in a giant war. Even a good tutorial or explanation only goes so far. In a game as complex as HOI3, I think some sort of in game combat sim would go as long way in helping players who really wanted to understand the system better.

(It might even help reveal bugs or oddities in the combat algorithms.)

Last page, but if that feature were in HoI IV I don't think I'd even get around to playing the actual game, I'd be too busy just trying out different unit compositions and seeing what works. It's like a less time consuming version of what I already do when I'm trying to break HoI 3 over my knee.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm trying to figure out if there are smart ways to use the national stockpile that I just don't know about yet in Victoria 2. I understand stockpiling military goods so you can recruit new guys more quickly and be prepared for a war that maybe cuts you off from part of the world supply, and I can see how it'd be useful to stockpile maybe iron, machine parts, and cement if you're just about to finish westernizing and want to toss up tons of factories as soon as you can.

Is there any point in stockpiling consumer goods, raw materials that are just components used by artisans and factories, or other items that are generally just there to fulfill needs for pops?

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Ofaloaf posted:

I had a go at testing out the CK2(+)->EU3(DAO/MiscMods) port and... well. Went off the rails fairly quickly.

Elsewhere some guys already suggested that amping up the BB costs for provinces might help out a lot. What are some of the easier tweaks that can be done to improve AI behavior, without trying to port and adapt Wiz's AI events wholesale?
Are you using a heavily-reduced BB limit? If you set it to 5 (for the AI), the AI will pretty much never take a province they don't have a CB for. It's a good way to strongly restrain blobbing. WizMod uses it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Kersch posted:

I'm trying to figure out if there are smart ways to use the national stockpile that I just don't know about yet in Victoria 2. I understand stockpiling military goods so you can recruit new guys more quickly and be prepared for a war that maybe cuts you off from part of the world supply, and I can see how it'd be useful to stockpile maybe iron, machine parts, and cement if you're just about to finish westernizing and want to toss up tons of factories as soon as you can.

Is there any point in stockpiling consumer goods, raw materials that are just components used by artisans and factories, or other items that are generally just there to fulfill needs for pops?

I'm fairly certain the trade screen could be removed entirely without any impact on the game, it's completely useless.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kersch posted:

As mentioned in the above infographic, you can try to stockpile overproduced products yourself so your factories can sell directly to you and turn a profit.

There may be also a use in stockpiling essential consumer goods in case of an blockade but I never tried that.

uPen posted:

I'm fairly certain the trade screen could be removed entirely without any impact on the game, it's completely useless.

Trade screen is mainly for information. You can say the same about Population screen as you can't do much there but it is in fact a vital tool for planning.

fspades fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 25, 2013

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kersch posted:

The only time I ever used the trade screen for anything other than checking the price of things before I build a factory was way back in Vanilla Vicky, where I would stockpile something expensive and rare like tanks or airplane parts and then flood the market for shits and giggles and watch the world economy collapse. Other than that I don't see the point of stockpiling anything except for maybe military goods, and only then if you end up in a situation where most of your explosives are made by your enemy you plan on declaring war on. Though you should make sure something like that doesn't happen, nothing worse than trying to build an airforce and realizing that all the airplanes are made by the people you just declared war on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don Gato posted:

Other than that I don't see the point of stockpiling anything except for maybe military goods, and only then if you end up in a situation where most of your explosives are made by your enemy you plan on declaring war on.

Even that won't matter, since goods aren't traded between countries. Instead, when they're sold, they are transported to the mystical trade dimension (similar to the pope dimension of CK2), and then distributed throughout the world by the unseen, capricious god of capitalism.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The main use I've gotten out of the trade screen is, oddly enough, budget management. Works great to turn off buying of the really expensive early game items (Clippers, I'm looking at you). Especially when you have an oversea empire, as the maintenance fee for them hurts.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

And continuing on from that...

Beamed posted:

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

To be fair, that Ukraine snake in the last pic makes me want to throw up, and I feel kinda bad for Agypte.

On the plus side, go Scotland go! :scotland:
The problem is that while the general thrust of growth and decline often makes sense, like Rum blossoming outwards only to eventually contract and even lose Iznik again, or Blobvaria's growth, oftentimes there's so many specks in that stuff (like Spanish Scotland or, visible in the 1601 and 1719 shots, Dutch Aragon) that the illusion of the game as a plausible world breaks.

Tulip posted:

Ukraine owns, not all states can or should aspire to the roundness of most goons.
It's not just a lack of roundness, though-- the borders are flat-out ugly, and the various coastal enclaves oftentimes make no sense. What's Spain doing with a single province in the Hedjaz in that 1719 screenshot, for example? Or Scotland, for that matter.

Cycloneman posted:

Are you using a heavily-reduced BB limit? If you set it to 5 (for the AI), the AI will pretty much never take a province they don't have a CB for. It's a good way to strongly restrain blobbing. WizMod uses it.
I though WizMod upped BB costs, rather than lowering the BB threshold. Worse testing out either way, at least.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ofaloaf posted:

The problem is that while the general thrust of growth and decline often makes sense, like Rum blossoming outwards only to eventually contract and even lose Iznik again, or Blobvaria's growth, oftentimes there's so many specks in that stuff (like Spanish Scotland or, visible in the 1601 and 1719 shots, Dutch Aragon) that the illusion of the game as a plausible world breaks.

It's not just a lack of roundness, though-- the borders are flat-out ugly, and the various coastal enclaves oftentimes make no sense. What's Spain doing with a single province in the Hedjaz in that 1719 screenshot, for example? Or Scotland, for that matter.

I though WizMod upped BB costs, rather than lowering the BB threshold. Worse testing out either way, at least.

Wanna post a colonial map? I actually do like mighty Ukraine/Netherlands. :3:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Dutch Aragon

Ooooh, so its okay for Austria and Spain to take all of the things up there but not the other way around? I see how it is. :colbert:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Westminster System posted:

Ooooh, so its okay for Austria and Spain to take all of the things up there but not the other way around? I see how it is. :colbert:
If Belgium hadn't been passed on to the Kingdom of the Netherlands after the Napoleonic wars I don't even know, man.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fintilgin posted:

Agree, I really enjoy seeing the AI actually doing well. In my games I'm lucky to have even one blob that can beat me by 1500.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

:catstare:

I feel physically ill looking at that mega-Ukraine, mega-Netherlands and mega-Persia. The only option is to convert it to HoI and nuke everything.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
I have a question about something that's bothering me: I am playing EU3 Divine Wind beta patch 5.2 with no mods.
Playing as Brandenburg, I had the mission "Pommeranian succession" so i took Hinterpommern and vassalized them in the same war. The mission granted me a core on Hinterpommern once I owned it.
Fast forward a couple years. I have a shitload of other german OPM vassals, including Pommerania still. The tooltip up top says I have a good chance to diplo annex Pommerania and a few others.
So I demand annexation from pommerania and the rest of the OPMs that I can annex, and after I get the popup about "its hard to rule from Berlin" with the stability drops, i get two other popups that say I have cores on Stettin and Vorpommern, but they have reduced tax income and manpower for a few years. This was reflected in the tooltip on the provinces' tax values. However, I got no such deal for annexing the other provinces. So why did i get cores for demanding annexation from Pommerania but not my other german vassals? I can't imagine it was related to the mission, since i had completed it and many other missions long before this happened.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So where is this war meant to be over?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I've played quite a bit of CK2 but I just started EU3 and I'm a bit confused. I start out as England and I get a popup saying that I need to spread civilization to the savage Irish. So I decide to take the -1 stability hit and declare war on Ulster. Then I realize I can't actually move my army to Ireland because I won't have the tech to make transport ships for another 33 years. So what exactly should I be focusing on doing until then? I don't seem to be able to build any buildings in my provinces either.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SkySteak posted:

So where is this war meant to be over?

Is there a county named Jylland as well as a duchy named Jylland? Probably the duchy-owner exercising his de-jure right to rule then.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mustang posted:

I've played quite a bit of CK2 but I just started EU3 and I'm a bit confused. I start out as England and I get a popup saying that I need to spread civilization to the savage Irish. So I decide to take the -1 stability hit and declare war on Ulster. Then I realize I can't actually move my army to Ireland because I won't have the tech to make transport ships for another 33 years. So what exactly should I be focusing on doing until then? I don't seem to be able to build any buildings in my provinces either.

No, you should be able to. They are called Cogs and they are available from tech level 1.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

fspades posted:

No, you should be able to. They are called Cogs and they are available from tech level 1.

The starting English navy should even have cogs and some transport capacity already, even.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Alright, thanks guys. Just noticed there is an EU3 LP so I'm going to read up on that and see what else I can learn.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Ok so I started off as England again pretty well and sent all my merchants to Lubeck, my CoT. I look over there a bit later and I'm not making any money from them anymore. What happened? I had 4 merchants there and now I appear to have none.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Mustang posted:

Ok so I started off as England again pretty well and sent all my merchants to Lubeck, my CoT. I look over there a bit later and I'm not making any money from them anymore. What happened? I had 4 merchants there and now I appear to have none.
The heavily Mercantile Hansa probably competed you out.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mustang posted:

Other countries' merchants have competed yours away. You can click on the little bar labeled "autosend priority" to make it so you automatically send merchants to that CoT when you have merchants available and your have fewer than 5 merchants at the CoT.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hm, the BB changes seem to be helping out. Compare this test run in 1501:

to the previous

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I don't have the Sunset Kingdom DLC so can anyone tell me why the goddamn Aztecs took over Iceland and are starting in on Ireland?! Are they still there, just not playable until you get the DLC?

All I wanted to do was unify Ireland to start out, then I inherited England by marrying my mom to the king and everyone else on the BI declared on me at once and now everything's all hosed up (England looks like a jigsaw puzzle right now) and my daughter got sacrificed to pagan gods. At least I have a strong alliance to Holy Rome via marrying half my kids to their seemingly endless supply of princes/ses.

So much for unity.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Sex Hobbit posted:

I don't have the Sunset Kingdom DLC so can anyone tell me why the goddamn Aztecs took over Iceland and are starting in on Ireland?! Are they still there, just not playable until you get the DLC?

All I wanted to do was unify Ireland to start out, then I inherited England by marrying my mom to the king and everyone else on the BI declared on me at once and now everything's all hosed up (England looks like a jigsaw puzzle right now) and my daughter got sacrificed to pagan gods. At least I have a strong alliance to Holy Rome via marrying half my kids to their seemingly endless supply of princes/ses.

So much for unity.
It's impossible to get the Aztecs without the DLC I thought?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Sex Hobbit posted:

So much for unity.

The Aztec's must be a bug, but an even more egregious bug is the one affecting your map. It seems like you've got some weird greenish brown filter on top of the land parts of the map. The good news is it's a common known bug, and you only have to press "w" in the game to fix it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Apparently there was just an EvW stream on Paradox's Twitch channel. Did anyone here catch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ofaloaf posted:

Apparently there was just an EvW stream on Paradox's Twitch channel. Did anyone here catch it?

No but it is archived here.

• Locked thread