Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
DQ3 was amazing both in the amount of poo poo that was in the game and how it ended. Even if the game had ended with Baramos it would've been as long as some other RPGs can get to be. By the time DQ6 came out they had their design down to a science but then they tried to stretch it a bit too much in DQ7, which a lot of people didn't like (I liked it personally) and DQ8 was very much a Square influenced game. I never finished it because the fights just felt like they dragged on and it all felt rather boring after awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Contrary to what most people will say, I wasn't too crazy about VIII. I don't know why, it just never quite clicked with me like the older games did. Maybe someday I'll give it another go, but right now I have my sights set on trying out IX.

Having said that, would IX be a worthwhile investment for me? I haven't played a new DQ game in forever and I'm always gaga for job systems and creating my own party. I would place my absolute favorites squarely between III, IV and V, with III clearly at the top, so I would think it a good bet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Yes, get DQIX. If you have friends that play DQ games and own a DS they should get it too and you guys can just play through the game together.

I hope you like awful British humor/puns though, because the guys who translated tried to make almost everything in to a pun. That's pretty much the only downside to the game. If you decide to start farming grotto bosses for gear in the late/post game look up the Hoimi Table and save yourself a lot of time on drop rates.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope you like awful British humor/puns though, because the guys who translated tried to make almost everything in to a pun. That's pretty much the only downside to the game.

...Downside? :raise:

EDIT: Also, thank you for bringing up the Hoimi table, this grotto boss was driving me up a loving wall refusing to drop the next map. Just got it first try.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 22, 2013

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
IX is the biggest departure from the formula of any game in the series and it's definitely my least favorite DQ game, but it's still a good game by any measure. I would suggest just ignoring the post-game content unless you're into MMO style grinding for bigger numbers.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
IX is fun and you can play dress up but the grind is god awful later on. I opened up the grotto's and I just lost all interest after a few times spelunking.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

IX is the biggest departure from the formula of any game in the series and it's definitely my least favorite DQ game, but it's still a good game by any measure. I would suggest just ignoring the post-game content unless you're into MMO style grinding for bigger numbers.

IX is almost exactly just III but in 3D, so I don't understand how you can call it "the biggest departure from the formula." A single important character designed by the player, given backstory by the plot joins with three other player generated characters to have a world-spanning advenuture.

More characters can be generated at the player's leisure as well. After the Temple of Dharma, characters can be changed into other classes, but retain skills from previous classes. Combat is turn-based and monsters in combat are grouped by type, allowing some attacks to hit every enemy in a group, but not necessarily in the same party.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gloam posted:

This weekend there's a 10 hour Dragon Quest X stream with some new information on the game and a BIG announcement. So, let's hope that's something interesting - we're coming up on the game's anniversary, maybe time for an expansion?

The big announcement was a DQ10 PC port, for those who didn't know.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Potsticker posted:

IX is almost exactly just III but in 3D, so I don't understand how you can call it "the biggest departure from the formula." A single important character designed by the player, given backstory by the plot joins with three other player generated characters to have a world-spanning advenuture.

More characters can be generated at the player's leisure as well. After the Temple of Dharma, characters can be changed into other classes, but retain skills from previous classes. Combat is turn-based and monsters in combat are grouped by type, allowing some attacks to hit every enemy in a group, but not necessarily in the same party.

While this is true, for whatever reason, I just never cared about IX. I don't know why. I can go back and play pretty much any other DQ game and love it still, but I try to play IX and I just lose all interest for some reason. I haven't figured out what it is about that game that just makes me not enjoy it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

In English?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

YYYYYYYYeeeeeesssssssss!

Oh yeah, that part :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

While this is true, for whatever reason, I just never cared about IX. I don't know why. I can go back and play pretty much any other DQ game and love it still, but I try to play IX and I just lose all interest for some reason. I haven't figured out what it is about that game that just makes me not enjoy it.

The godawful translation was the worst part for me. I liked the gameplay and the co-op mechanic was what I'd been praying for in RPGs since I was 9 or 10 so seeing someone finally make it happen was nice.

I'm also not sure how anyone could say DQIX is the biggest departure when DQX is an MMO. :shrug:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm also not sure how anyone could say DQIX is the biggest departure when DQX is an MMO. :shrug:

The same way that each new Final Fantasy is the worst Final Fantasy ever because of XY, despite XY being present in the series beforehand.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

No mention of an English release, but you'd imagine it's aimed at an international audience.

You can sign up for the beta already, but it's locked to Japanese IP addresses.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

The godawful translation was the worst part for me. I liked the gameplay and the co-op mechanic was what I'd been praying for in RPGs since I was 9 or 10 so seeing someone finally make it happen was nice.

Wait, you're talking about DQIX?

Because that game has one of the best translations of any jrpg.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Potsticker posted:

I think it's an exaggeration to say that just because it had a class system and player generated characters that it's exactly the same as DQIII. There was definitely some Final Fantasy influence in terms of linearity, world design, and how the storyline was laid out compared to the older DQ games. I haven't played it since it originally came out so maybe I'm way off the mark, this is just how I recall feeling when I first played it.

I wasn't thinking of DQX when I said that either, because I live in the US and DQX is probably never going to be released here and I tend to forget it even exists.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You are way off the mark.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
DQ9 was also hilarious in that it was clearly designed to be a quasi-MMO with you and 3 friends playing.

The story even flat out says this since only the main hero actually matters; the three generics are deliberately not acknowledged in all the plot points (i.e. being unable to strike a superior angel).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Adam Bowen posted:

I think it's an exaggeration to say that just because it had a class system and player generated characters that it's exactly the same as DQIII. There was definitely some Final Fantasy influence in terms of linearity, world design, and how the storyline was laid out compared to the older DQ games. I haven't played it since it originally came out so maybe I'm way off the mark, this is just how I recall feeling when I first played it.

Which Final Fantasy? I think it takes most of its influence from Dragon Quest 8, in that it feels like a natural progression from that game.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Having only played Dragon Quest IV and now working my way through IX, it really doesn't feel that different at all aside from player generated characters which is apparently a DQ thing. As far as linearity, it doesn't feel any more so than IV did. World design doesn't really feel particularly FF influenced to me, and the storyline still seems distinctly DQ - go from town to town fixing their individual problems to advance the overall story versus FF which has usually been far more focused on the overall goal to save the world. I'm just not getting the criticisms, but again, I have limited DQ experience.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

I wasn't thinking of DQX when I said that either, because I live in the US and DQX is probably never going to be released here and I tend to forget it even exists.

Way off the mark. There are way more similarities than what I mentioned. The combat system is almost exactly the same and the linearity, world design and storyline are-- again-- the same as III. You travel from themed area to area, solving the problem in that area and then moving on to the next in a very linear fashion.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest sticks very closely to a particular formula, which was defined in 2 and perfected in 3 (whose biggest changes were balancing the classes and adding fast travel). All the biggest differences in mechanics between each game have amounted to little more than different ways of varying the composition of the party while keeping its power level relatively constant. You follow a more roundabout path in some than in others, but there's a remarkably consistent rhythm between them. They've got something that works, and they stick with it, just polishing it up and spinning it around with each installment.

Which is why I'd be interested to see if X is more similar to other MMOs, or if it's basically just IX but you're always doing multiplayer.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wish Dragon Quest was developed for multiple platforms more often. The only non-remakes that saw this were 1 and 2, which were on the MSX1 and 2 before coming to the Famicom and NES, and X, which is on the Wii, Wii U and is soon coming to the PC.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Which is why I'd be interested to see if X is more similar to other MMOs, or if it's basically just IX but you're always doing multiplayer.

I would never be able to quit this game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

I wish Dragon Quest was developed for multiple platforms more often. The only non-remakes that saw this were 1 and 2, which were on the MSX1 and 2 before coming to the Famicom and NES, and X, which is on the Wii, Wii U and is soon coming to the PC.

This is an interesting point. From its inception, the Dragon Quest series has always been explicitly populist: Yuji Horii set out to make an RPG that could be enjoyed by people who've never played a video game before, and the games always target the most popular (suitable, current) platform, so it can reach the most such players. But cross-platform console development is easier now than it's ever been; a cross-platform release would help it reach a larger audience still.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Is anyone else playing in the DQX PC beta? I just started, I'd like to get in with some goons.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Arcaeris posted:

Is anyone else playing in the DQX PC beta? I just started, I'd like to get in with some goons.

Is there an English patch of some king?

Also why do I have a horrible feeling your title has something to do with some weird game like Idolmaster? :ohdear:

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there an English patch of some king?

No, but there are guides to get through the tutorial section if you need them. You also need a proxy service to fake that your IP is in Japan.

My title is from a iOS rhythm game (based on an anime, I found out later) called Love Live! High School Idol Festival which has pretty much the exact same mechanics as Puzzles and Dragons.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
So it's looking like the DQVC servers for Dragon Quest IX are going down. People have been saying they can't connect to the server, and when they do, it's not giving them an updated shop.

This is disappointing, Mainly because I'm only missing about 4 items. Nothing that is required for quests or anything, mind you. But just the last few items before I have every exclusive internet required item.
I haven't had WEP access for quite some time, so I haven't been able to update the shop in about a year. (And I've been busy with other games n' real life, so getting back into DQ9 hasn't been a priority)

Though it sucks that NA never got the crazy amounts of "Exclusives Only" weeks that Japan did.
I guess servers were gonna go down eventually, but I wish I had everything before that happened.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I have DQIX, but still haven't played it. What will I be missing without these servers?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Unmature posted:

I have DQIX, but still haven't played it. What will I be missing without these servers?

A shop that updates weekly, and maybe cameos from the older DQ games. It sucks, but the game is still 100% playable.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
So, how low are the chances of the West ever seeing a DQVII 3DS port? 6%? 2%? .005%?

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours

SereneCrimson posted:

End of the world
This seriously sucks, especially considering there hasn't been any kind of announcement or special DQVC-exclusives sale.

I think the DLC quests can still be downloaded, it's just the shop itself that doesn't work.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
This is my first time back to the Dragon Quest games since I was lucky enough to get 7 for my birthday back in the ps1 era. I bought 6 and 9 for the DS. Which one should I start with? Does it really matter?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I just started DQ9; Are there any super OP skills/classes that I need to be sure to put points into ASAP?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

I just started DQ9; Are there any super OP skills/classes that I need to be sure to put points into ASAP?

Nope. DQ9 is super chill. Play like you want!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Captain Mog posted:

So, how low are the chances of the West ever seeing a DQVII 3DS port? 6%? 2%? .005%?

It doesn't seem like Square-Enix has any interest in localizing it and I'm feeling doubtful that Nintendo will pick up their slack like they did with DQVI.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

You start the game with access to six vocations. There are four more "hybrid" ones that you unlock through sidequests as soon as you reach a certain fairly early point, plus one that's only available near the end of the campaign and one that's only available post-game. These side quests are annoying, but you should still do them as soon as you find them. Additionally, each vocation has one (or was it two?) ultimate ability that you need to do a late-game sidequest to unlock.

It's generally better to specialize your skill point investment, at least in weapons. However, unlike DQ8, you can eventually get an unlimited number of skill points, so don't sweat it too much. The really powerful skills only make a perceptible difference post-game, and you can only efficiently unlock them at high levels anyway.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

I basically split my party in half as magic users and melee for skill points, and leveled every class when I got to a grinding point and had an easy time of things.

Level a weapon to 100 instead of trying a bunch of them. I got by with giving everyone swords and falling back on Gigaslash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
If you're not doing postgame content, the Paladin's forbearance skill is game-breakingly powerful.