Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Got my red vinyl copies of the new reissues of Hardcore DEVO Vol. 1+2 today and they both look and sound great. I'm a total sucker for early pre-Freedom of Choice DEVO, so I'm really happy to finally have these albums on vinyl. Thanks to whoever it was who gave the heads up about the reissues in this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The pre-order for the Q Lazarus - Goodbye Horses reissue has gone up. Limited to 1500 copies.

Thanks for the heads up! Just going to wait and see if somebody dumps their originals on Discogs/Ebay now for a lower price, since I would still love the 12" with the cool cover.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

nomapple posted:

Fellow Porcupine Tree fans/vinyl collectors, Tonefloat have copies of the limited version of In Absentia for €40 that they found in their warehouse. Given these seem to go for around £100 on Discogs I would seize this opportunity. They're unnumbered copies if that is something that bothers you. They also have limited Lightbulb Sun, and regular editions of both of those as well as Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident. I would go quick, they had copies of FOABP limited up for €80 the other day and they're now gone.

This is from a ways back, but I got my copies of In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun today. I was pretty impressed that the packaging managed to keep everything tight enough that there is no damage to the jackets or sleeves at all. Also impressive was the amount of stamps that were on it (70!), even though they're all crossed out with marker and there is some other kind of postage thing on the other side. I've never seen so many stamps on something before.

Lightbulb Sun sounds amazing. Maybe my favorite PT album, though there are still a few that I haven't heard.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

As an early birthday present, my girlfriend got me a suitcase USB turntable and a vinyl copy of Random Access Memories, one of my favorite albums of the year. I thought it was really cool because vinyl is a hobby I've wanted to get into for years but just never got around to. But I've got a couple problems:
    - 1) The record is skipping. It's a 2xLP with 4 sides, and it skips on every side.
    - 2) USB recording sounds really flat. I connected the player to the computer, it automatically installed a driver for it and I was able to record in Audacity and get sound and everything, but the recordings just don't sound very good on multiple sets of speakers.
    - 3) I can't find a way to connect the player to my computer speakers (a good 2.1 Logitech system with a nice sub). That system has a wired remote that only has a headphone port. I tried plugging it into that via RCA > 1/8, but that didn't work. It plays fine through my studio monitors, connected to my audio interface via RCA > 1/8 and then 1/8 to 1/4, but I don't have a sub for my studio monitors so I just get the high end of the mix and not much else.
Any ideas on how to correct these issues, vinyl goon buds? I have a sneaking suspicion the first two may be caused by the player itself being cheaply made, but I'm not sure. The brand is Pyle, which I'd never heard of before. It's a refurbished model, I think, and was sub-$100. As for the third, do you guys know if I'd need an adapter to do this or is it simply not possible?

For the skipping issue, my gf read that it may be caused by an improper balance of the cartridge or something, and to fix that, you can weigh it down with coins. So we tried putting coins (a quarter and a nickel) on top of the headshell, and it didn't skip after that, but the coins would fall off onto the record while it was playing. So we tried taping the coins to the headshell, but that didn't work too much better. That seems like kind of a ghetto-rig solution, so I was wondering if y'all might know a better, more efficient solution.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 25, 2013

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Those suitcase players are really poorly made and you're not going to be able to get a good sound out of it, honestly. My friend had one (don't know if it was Pyle or not) and the tone arm didn't have a counterweight, and was so poorly weighted anyway that records kept skipping. Hers was also only battery/USB powered, which was just completely baffling to me.

It probably doesn't have a preamp to get good sound through your monitors or speakers.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

As an early birthday present, my girlfriend got me a suitcase USB turntable and a vinyl copy of Random Access Memories, one of my favorite albums of the year. I thought it was really cool because vinyl is a hobby I've wanted to get into for years but just never got around to. But I've got a couple problems:
    - 1) The record is skipping. It's a 2xLP with 4 sides, and it skips on every side.
    - 2) USB recording sounds really flat. I connected the player to the computer, it automatically installed a driver for it and I was able to record in Audacity and get sound and everything, but the recordings just don't sound very good on multiple sets of speakers.
    - 3) I can't find a way to connect the player to my computer speakers (a good 2.1 Logitech system with a nice sub). That system has a wired remote that only has a headphone port. I tried plugging it into that via RCA > 1/8, but that didn't work. It plays fine through my studio monitors, connected to my audio interface via RCA > 1/8 and then 1/8 to 1/4, but I don't have a sub for my studio monitors so I just get the high end of the mix and not much else.
Any ideas on how to correct these issues, vinyl goon buds? I have a sneaking suspicion the first two may be caused by the player itself being cheaply made, but I'm not sure. The brand is Pyle, which I'd never heard of before. It's a refurbished model, I think, and was sub-$100. As for the third, do you guys know if I'd need an adapter to do this or is it simply not possible?

For the skipping issue, my gf read that it may be caused by an improper balance of the cartridge or something, and to fix that, you can weigh it down with coins. So we tried putting coins (a quarter and a nickel) on top of the headshell, and it didn't skip after that, but the coins would fall off onto the record while it was playing. So we tried taping the coins to the headshell, but that didn't work too much better. That seems like kind of a ghetto-rig solution, so I was wondering if y'all might know a better, more efficient solution.

The fact that you have the same avatar as David Puddy made this post really confusing.

You're right, the recording probably sounds bad because pretty much all those USB turntables are cheaply made. Same with the skipping issue. You might search for a newer driver?

If it's truly a hobby that you'd like to get into, it would probably be worth returning that one and spending the same amount of money on whatever is the highest rated turntable on Amazon. It won't be the best but it should be better than the one you have. You don't need to spend $300 to get something that sounds good, it's just that all of those USB turntables are going to be inferior to a similarly-priced "normal" turntable. Of course returning yours might not be an option since it was a gift and it was refurbished, but there you go.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That's kind of what I was anticipating :( Thanks for the clarification, guys.

If I do start collecting vinyl, though, I'd like to be able to rip them to my computer. So do I want a different USB turntable, like a more expensive one that has a better weighting system? Or is there another, better way to achieve this, like recording through some sort of microphone?

And what kind can I get that sounds good for not too much money? If everything under $100 doesn't sound good, I don't want to go too cheap. But I don't want to spend a ton of money either, because A) I don't have a ton of money to spend and B) I'm coming into this as a beginner.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I've never seen a 12" that required a 45 adapter, that's a douchy move I'd like to pull.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

And what kind can I get that sounds good for not too much money? If everything under $100 doesn't sound good, I don't want to go too cheap. But I don't want to spend a ton of money either, because A) I don't have a ton of money to spend and B) I'm coming into this as a beginner.
I'd suggest looking around for a used vintage turntable. You can get some great equipment for very cheap, but you might have to be patient. If you live in a big town, check out craigslist. Check garage sale ads in the paper and online for anything mentioning record players or stereo equipment (it's that time of the season!). Thrift stores will sometimes have turntables as well.

I'm someone who considers the hunt for used records and equipment the fun part of the hobby, though. If you prefer to buy new, I'm sure someone can recommend an entry level turntable for <$100 that will sound better than your current one and won't skip. Just looking on Amazon, this one seems to be the most popular one in that price range, though I've personally never used it.

You also might check out this thread, which is specifically about equipment:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

edit: and speaking of craigslist, this ad popped up in my city recently.

I don't know anything about the brand but that thing looks cool as hell.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 25, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh awesome! That's good info, thanks :)

I talked to my girlfriend and her mom's getting ready to move and said she'd give me her old turntable from the 70s or 80s. It's supposed to be in good, working condition, so hopefully that'll work for me! I won't be able to record to my computer with it, at least not straight through USB, but I'd rather have one that can play my vinyl without any problems than one that skips and doesn't record properly either.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll check Craigslist then. I've been to a couple of local thrift stores in the past week or so looking for records to buy, and I didn't see any turntables at those stores. That's not even all the thrift stores in my area, though, so I have more to check.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Step one. Throw away the suitcase turntable. Step two buy something that isn't a piece of poo poo.

If I do start collecting vinyl, though, I'd like to be able to rip them to my computer. So do I want a different USB turntable, like a more expensive one that has a better weighting system? Or is there another, better way to achieve this, like recording through some sort of microphone?

You don't need to have a USB connection to record vinyl records to a computer and in fact the USB connection creates an inferior sound. Buy one of these:http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103225. To record all you have to do is plug the RCA (red and white) cables into one end and plug the other into your computer's sound card input and then just use Audacity to record.

Oh and make sure the Y-adapter is stereophonic.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 25, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

To jump on what everyone else was saying, those cheap suitcase turntables (and anything made under the Crosley name that isn't actually more than 40 years old) often don't have counterweighted floating arms/decent cartridges/proper materials (no plastic tonearms) and sound like rear end/skip a lot at best and can actually seriously damage your records at worst.

It sucks, but your best bet really is to replace it with something decent. Hopefully you have a receipt handy. Break it to her super nicely, I guess? :(

The "ripping to computer" thing varies depending on what kind of vinyl you're buying. Most new releases from non-shithead labels will come with a download card/code for the files at at least 256kbps. In that case, it really isn't worth ripping the album from the LP. Older stuff and reissues obviously won't have this option, and there you may be interested in recording albums to your computer.

Before I specifically get into that, I want to suggest that you check out this thread's OP and that of the turntable thread in IYG. Some of the model-specific info is dated in both of those, but they're still really fantastic succinct newbie resources.

In brief- you don't need a USB connection to record to your computer, and it's probable that using one wouldn't even give you the best sound. Unless you're running a turntable with an onboard preamp (you can learn more about that in those OPs I linked) through some self-powered speakers, you're most likely going to have a receiver. Connect the receiver's TAPE OUT to your computer's audio input via an RCA/minijack Y-cable. Record the output with Audacity.

wa27 posted:

I'd suggest looking around for a used vintage turntable. You can get some great equipment for very cheap, but you might have to be patient. If you live in a big town, check out craigslist. Check garage sale ads in the paper and online for anything mentioning record players or stereo equipment (it's that time of the season!). Thrift stores will sometimes have turntables as well.

I'm someone who considers the hunt for used records and equipment the fun part of the hobby, though. If you prefer to buy new, I'm sure someone can recommend an entry level turntable for <$100 that will sound better than your current one and won't skip. Just looking on Amazon, this one seems to be the most popular one in that price range, though I've personally never used it.

The unanimous consensus AFAIK is that the AT LP-120 is way more recommendable than the LP-60 and worth the premium in every way.

But if the goal is to spend around $150, then I'd only look for vintage stuff (try parents, parents' friends, and friends' parents- or craigslist). If I were between a new table for less than $200 or a vintage/used table (of good repute) for less than $200, I'd go vintage every time. I wouldn't spend less than $200 on a new table because the quality at that price range is miles below what you can get for $200-$450.

EDIT: Beaten on two more counts.

I talked to my girlfriend and her mom's getting ready to move and said she'd give me her old turntable from the 70s or 80s.

Cool! Post a picture of it or a model number or whatever so we can criticize itgive useful advice.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
get one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoxiaU7-AZ0

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This is from a ways back, but I got my copies of In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun today. I was pretty impressed that the packaging managed to keep everything tight enough that there is no damage to the jackets or sleeves at all. Also impressive was the amount of stamps that were on it (70!), even though they're all crossed out with marker and there is some other kind of postage thing on the other side. I've never seen so many stamps on something before.

Lightbulb Sun sounds amazing. Maybe my favorite PT album, though there are still a few that I haven't heard.

What's the color of your LS like? I have heard they can vary a bit from opaque white to a translucent marbled white. I got my Steven Wilson cover version singles from tonefloat last week, and there were dozens of stamps on that as well, heh.

Also did you hear Stupid Dream is being repressed? It's preorder-able on burning shed for about $23.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Some releases still do the big hole as a style thing (the Self Defense Family Island Series all need adapters, and one of 'em's 33rpm so it's not strictly a 45 thing) but out of my 35ish 7" records, only about 5 of 'em use adapters.

The SDF 7"s are the only ones I have with the big hole.

We Understand Europeans are a Sexual People is 33 on one side and 45 on the other and it throws me off every time even though it's clearly labeled. Then there's the Sincerely LP which plays at 45rpms despite the label saying 33. So I just assume everything they do is to gently caress with people.

Also, I've noticed a lot of recent releases don't mention the speed anywhere on the packaging or record. Luckily I don't have one of those tables where you need to manually change the belt to change speeds.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

To jump on what everyone else was saying, those cheap suitcase turntables (and anything made under the Crosley name that isn't actually more than 40 years old) often don't have counterweighted floating arms/decent cartridges/proper materials (no plastic tonearms) and sound like rear end/skip a lot at best and can actually seriously damage your records at worst.

Well poo poo, good thing I didn't try playing any side of the one LP I have (RAM) too long. Hopefully I didn't damage it by just doing that :ohdear:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The "ripping to computer" thing varies depending on what kind of vinyl you're buying. Most new releases from non-shithead labels will come with a download card/code for the files at at least 256kbps. In that case, it really isn't worth ripping the album from the LP. Older stuff and reissues obviously won't have this option, and there you may be interested in recording albums to your computer.

In brief- you don't need a USB connection to record to your computer, and it's probable that using one wouldn't even give you the best sound. Unless you're running a turntable with an onboard preamp (you can learn more about that in those OPs I linked) through some self-powered speakers, you're most likely going to have a receiver. Connect the receiver's TAPE OUT to your computer's audio input via an RCA/minijack Y-cable. Record the output with Audacity.

Ah, alright. I figured that if recording from vinyl to PC couldn't be achieved by something easy like USB, it wouldn't be easy at all. That's okay, though. I have tons of music on my computer and I've never owned any LPs. I tend to just rip my CDs as FLACs and save them to my big hard drive so I never have to use the CD again. So it's not that big of an issue. Like I said, I'd rather be able to play them first and foremost than have the capability to record.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Cool! Post a picture of it or a model number or whatever so we can criticize itgive useful advice.

Will do :) So just about any vintage turntable will be better than the suitcase thing I have now, right? It'll more than likely play better?

I'm reading through that turntable thread in IYG now so hopefully I'll be somewhat schooled on this subject before not too much longer :v:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

One of these days I need to get an old turntable that plays 16rpm so I can finally hear my old Thrones 7" correctly without just pitching all the way down from 33. Actually that sounds pretty ok.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Well poo poo, good thing I didn't try playing any side of the one LP I have (RAM) too long. Hopefully I didn't damage it by just doing that :ohdear:

You should be fine. One play shouldn't do too much damage. But you could get to four or five plays and you could really do start doing some damage to the record there.

As for turntables, I have a USB audio-technica which actually sounds pretty good through the interface, so you don't have to worry.

https://soundcloud.com/cemetry-gator/recordsample

Here's a sample of what it sounds like. I had to do a little EQ work and some other tricks to get the best out of the sound, but that's sort of the breaks. But to be honest, if you're getting crap in, you're going to get crap out. And this doesn't sound like crap to my ears. Maybe it's not perfect, but hey, I don't see them releasing the mono mixes of the Lovin' Spoonful on CD anytime soon.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

david puddy posted:

What's the color of your LS like? I have heard they can vary a bit from opaque white to a translucent marbled white. I got my Steven Wilson cover version singles from tonefloat last week, and there were dozens of stamps on that as well, heh.

I guess it's one of both. Both discs are pretty marbly, but disc two is translucent. Disc one kinda looks milky. It reminds me of something, like hard candy or frosted glass. No idea.

And I didn't know Stupid Dream was being repressed. That's one of the PT albums I haven't heard yet.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I'm expecting Hardcore sometime this week, should I worry about the heat?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I'm expecting Hardcore sometime this week, should I worry about the heat?

It's a crap shoot, shipping facilities and trucks usually have no AC and letter carriers separate their deliveries so it could sit in direct sunlight all day in the back of their mail jeep. After getting 2 outta ? with a slight warp the last two summers I cut back on ordering this summer, but if something's limited time I take a chance.

I also live in Phoenix so our summers are whatever descriptor comes after hot. Boiling?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cemetry Gator posted:

You should be fine. One play shouldn't do too much damage. But you could get to four or five plays and you could really do start doing some damage to the record there.

As for turntables, I have a USB audio-technica which actually sounds pretty good through the interface, so you don't have to worry.

https://soundcloud.com/cemetry-gator/recordsample

Here's a sample of what it sounds like. I had to do a little EQ work and some other tricks to get the best out of the sound, but that's sort of the breaks. But to be honest, if you're getting crap in, you're going to get crap out. And this doesn't sound like crap to my ears. Maybe it's not perfect, but hey, I don't see them releasing the mono mixes of the Lovin' Spoonful on CD anytime soon.

Sounds good to me :) Which model Audio Technica USB? If the one I get from my girlfriend's mom doesn't end up working out, maybe I'll pick up one of those.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Well allow me to repost a recommendation someone gave you on this very page.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The unanimous consensus AFAIK is that the AT LP-120 is way more recommendable than the LP-60 and worth the premium in every way.

But if the goal is to spend around $150, then I'd only look for vintage stuff (try parents, parents' friends, and friends' parents- or craigslist). If I were between a new table for less than $200 or a vintage/used table (of good repute) for less than $200, I'd go vintage every time. I wouldn't spend less than $200 on a new table because the quality at that price range is miles below what you can get for $200-$450.

EDIT: Beaten on two more counts.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Hey, so I'm actually in the same sort of boat: I'd like to get a turntable to listen to some pretty sweet LPs I got (even though I have digital copies of those albums already -- I guess I just want to see how the vinyl stacks up in terms of mastering or whatever), but from what I understand USB turntables are pretty much poo poo, and you kind of need a pre-amp.

I guess two questions I have are: how does the Audio-Technica LP-120-USB stack up through the USB connection to another turntable connected through a pre-amp and then connected to either a computer or headphones? I guess eventually I'd like to have either lossless rips or (more likely) V0 rips of the LPs, so I can just turn to those instead of playing the LPs themselves. At the same time, that's probably the paranoid in me not wanting to damage the records.

Anyway, I guess my question is how is the LP-120-USB when connected directly to the computer versus a pre-amp. At the same time, what pre-amp would you guys recommend, if the difference was drastic enough to require one?

Really, at the end of the day, I'd even be happy to listen to my records on heaphones and forget about all the computer bullshit. That'd be in a best case scenario, really. I'm already familiar with the intricacies of ripping, before anybody asks. I guess all evidence I've seen so far points to the fact that you need a pre-amp in order for your record to sound even remotely acceptable, either through your computer or through your speakers. I'm wondering if that's the case with the LP-120-USB as well (and if so, what pre-amp I should go with, if I only want to use it for turntable purposes).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Lariat posted:

Well allow me to repost a recommendation someone gave you on this very page.

Oops. For some reason, I didn't think that was a USB turntable. My bad :shobon:

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Smekerman posted:

At-lp 120 stuff
At-lp 120 has a built in pre-amp, can't comment on its quality though as I use an older receiver with a Phono setting. As for the other bit about listening via USB, gonna say that will depend greatly on your computer and set up, if other stuff sounds fine through your computer expect the same, I only tried to rip one record and it sounded fine except for the settings I messed up on my side of things.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Wouldn't ripping from vinyl be pointless in the first place anyway because the advantage of listening to an analog recording would be completely negated once you digitise it?

Unless that record you had was not available anywhere online I suppose

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

screaden posted:

Wouldn't ripping from vinyl be pointless in the first place anyway because the advantage of listening to an analog recording would be completely negated once you digitise it?

Some albums are mastered differently for vinyl than they are for CD/digital. Like Random Access Memories, which I have a vinyl rip of, sounds noticeably different than the CD and I much prefer the vinyl version. Of course, I didn't rip it myself with my lovely suitcase player, but yeah. There's a definite increase in dynamic range in the vinyl version.

For albums like that that I listen to very often and prefer the vinyl version, I'm going to want that version wherever I can listen to the album, not just be tied to listening to it through vinyl. Though listening to the actual vinyl on a turntable is going to be where it sounds most natural and real.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I guess it's one of both. Both discs are pretty marbly, but disc two is translucent. Disc one kinda looks milky. It reminds me of something, like hard candy or frosted glass. No idea.

And I didn't know Stupid Dream was being repressed. That's one of the PT albums I haven't heard yet.

Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are pretty similar, I prefer Stupid Dream myself. Probably my favourite PT album, actually. It's good that it's being repressed though, the only pressing that's been released before this sell for up to $300.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

screaden posted:

I had a similar thought but then remembered that there are formats like FLAC that are less inferior.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Dr. Lariat posted:

I had a similar thought but then remembered that there are formats like FLAC that are less inferior.

Jesus, let's not go down that black hole. I'm mainly interested in ripping vinyls because some of them have different mastering than the CD rips I already have (edit: especially for the genre of music I listen to, ie. black metal). I don't want this thread to devolve into a V0 vs. FLAC argument, because it'll add another 10 pages and we'll be nowhere closer to an agreement.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 25, 2013

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
At the risk of pushing it further I meant in comparison to a digital format. When I saw the questions about ripping for everyday use I thought to myself "if you're going to stick to digital why bother with the vinyl?" But then I figured that folks that would listen to ripped vinyl are likely doing it in a high quality digital format and never brought it up. I'm uninterested in what's the best format as well.

Mastering preference is a really good reason I wouldn't have considered.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 25, 2013

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
V0 is MP3 format, it's pretty much the highest form of lossy encoding there is. To sum up both parties, some people swear to be able to tell the difference between FLAC and a V0 MP3 rip, other people swear that there is no audible difference between the two. Cue the format wars.

Like I said, I don't give a gently caress if there's a difference between V0 and FLAC (if there is one, it's minimal, to my ears), I just want to be able to listen to my precious vinyl mastering that may or may not be brickwalled in comparison to the CD version.

Edit: and before people start accusing me that I'm a hipster rear end in a top hat for buying vinyl without even having a means to play it, I started buying vinyl versions of albums I already owned on CD. Frankly, I started buying vinyl because of the bigger format for cover art. I know, really horrible decision, but meh, what can I say: I'm a sucker for gorgeous cover art.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 25, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Smekerman posted:

Frankly, I started buying vinyl because of the bigger format for cover art. I know, really horrible decision, but meh, what can I say: I'm a sucker for gorgeous cover art.

I was the same, these were among my first records:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

In regard to recording with the AT-LP120, it comes with a stereo RCA to 3.5mm jack converter in the box, which is handy.

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 25, 2013

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

There was a guy in SA mart that was selling off his vinyl collection and his list noted the condition and amount of plays each record had. Apparently, he bought the LP, ripped it to his computer and then shelved it, never to play again. I guess he was one of those people that bought vinyl for the quality and then only listened to the WAV recordings after. I don't get that personally, but I got a great condition Little Dragon record from him. So jealous of the person that bought his Cornelius collection.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Smekerman posted:

V0 is MP3 format, it's pretty much the highest form of lossy encoding there is. To sum up both parties, some people swear to be able to tell the difference between FLAC and a V0 MP3 rip, other people swear that there is no audible difference between the two. Cue the format wars.
Even V2 is transparent to basically everyone who has done an A/B/X test. The people who claim to be able to tell the difference generally have no interest in testing that, though.

There are a couple specific artifacts in MP3 that are more noticeable if you know what to look for, and at lower bitrates, but generally speaking the idea that FLAC has a noticeable difference over a well-encoded MP3 to the general populace is bunk.

edit: googled a little bit looking for recent results, and the decision is in: Audiophiles prefer the warmth of 320kbps CBR MP3s over lossless: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/02/high-bitrate-mp3-internet-blind-test_3422.html :laugh:

het fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 25, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kevar posted:

The SDF 7"s are the only ones I have with the big hole.

We Understand Europeans are a Sexual People is 33 on one side and 45 on the other and it throws me off every time even though it's clearly labeled. Then there's the Sincerely LP which plays at 45rpms despite the label saying 33. So I just assume everything they do is to gently caress with people.

My copy of Sincerely is really weird. Like yours it says 33 but plays at 45, but even at 45 it sounds noticeably slower than the digital version I have.

Incidentally, We Understand Europeans... is the release by them I most want of the ones I don't have. Annandale and Let's Grow Fat and Unhappy Together are such sick songs. Next time I have money I really need to order that off Deathwish.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
My DEVO came today. Sounds awesome, no warping. Totally worth it.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Got my red vinyl copies of the new reissues of Hardcore DEVO Vol. 1+2 today and they both look and sound great. I'm a total sucker for early pre-Freedom of Choice DEVO, so I'm really happy to finally have these albums on vinyl. Thanks to whoever it was who gave the heads up about the reissues in this thread!

And this. Thanks, I probably wouldn't have known about the red vinyl copies until it was too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So an update for you folks.

That record I ordered from that shifty looking website got here today. Which was quite prompt I might add. It sounds good, it looks good. It was a worthwhile purchase. I'm assuming the whole thing was a small operation, possibly run by one guy. So that accounts for the simple website.

I still await the arrival of Hardcore Devo, which supposedly shipped like a week ago.