Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well, through an agonizingly slow crawl I was able to finish off the alien base mission without losing anyone. I kit my guys out with a few new weapons and armor in celebration, and then an abduction mission pops up.

Something like six Thin Men and four Floaters spawn on top of each other over two turns and instagib one of my guys. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Oh gosh, I just had the perfect start to a Classic Ironman: Perfect first mission, perfect second mission, full A-squad with a squadsight sniper reader, a B-squad Sniper and Support, and the right time and cash for a full 3 sats launched in the first month. And then I realized I started my sats just 1 second too late and they were placed to go up after the council report. Although technically still a successful start, I didn't have the heart to continue.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

PostNouveau posted:

My menus disappear in the barracks, so I can't level up my soldiers. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, and that didn't work, so I'm out of ideas. Anybody know of a fix?
That's an interesting bug, especially since you reinstalled. I don't see this as a common bug from a google-search.

If you are running the Windows version, then try changing the game's video settings: change the resolution either higher or lower, or try running in a Window if not already.

If that fails to keep the menus around then update your video card's drivers. And if that fails then the most extreme measure is to try a different video card.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

Jesus, would you just announce the new expansion/sequel already, Jake?

:mad:

Is it really that weird that they haven't announced a sequel 9 months after a games release? With the way the internet talks about X-COM you would think it came out 5 years ago. I followed X-COM on Facebook and literally every comment is "where's my sequel?" or "where's my android port?". Sorry dudes, but that poo poo just came out in October and Android users just pirate everything. Mystery solved.

I would like an expansion. I'm not gonna hold my breath at this point though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

theshim posted:

Well, through an agonizingly slow crawl I was able to finish off the alien base mission without losing anyone. I kit my guys out with a few new weapons and armor in celebration, and then an abduction mission pops up.

Something like six Thin Men and four Floaters spawn on top of each other over two turns and instagib one of my guys. :argh:

Yeah, I forgot to mention the one caveat to the advice I gave you. Sometimes the game will just gently caress up and "forget" to use lube.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nnnotime posted:

That's an interesting bug, especially since you reinstalled. I don't see this as a common bug from a google-search.

If you are running the Windows version, then try changing the game's video settings: change the resolution either higher or lower, or try running in a Window if not already.

If that fails to keep the menus around then update your video card's drivers. And if that fails then the most extreme measure is to try a different video card.

Updating my drivers worked. Thanks!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm at a weird place right now. When I play normal I'm good the entire game. When I play classic I can hold my own until the Mutons show up then they always wreck my poo poo. I'm kind of wishing there was a middle ground between the two right now.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Is it really that weird that they haven't announced a sequel 9 months after a games release? With the way the internet talks about X-COM you would think it came out 5 years ago. I followed X-COM on Facebook and literally every comment is "where's my sequel?" or "where's my android port?". Sorry dudes, but that poo poo just came out in October and Android users just pirate everything. Mystery solved.

I would like an expansion. I'm not gonna hold my breath at this point though.

Steam activity has me pretty convinced that an expansion is definitely in the works. It seems pretty obvious that they would not be announcing that poo poo until The Bureau gets released, otherwise they would mess up its launch. So I'm gonna say that they will issue a major patch (possibly PC only) in September, followed by a major expansion (XCOM EW) in October.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

khy posted:

I'm at a weird place right now. When I play normal I'm good the entire game. When I play classic I can hold my own until the Mutons show up then they always wreck my poo poo. I'm kind of wishing there was a middle ground between the two right now.

Whats your tech level usually at by the time the mutons show up? Ideally you want to at least hit lasers and carapace before then.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

amanasleep posted:

So I'm gonna say that they will issue a major patch (possibly PC only) in September

Look at this fool, thinking Xcom will ever receive a patch. :smug:

(:smith:)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Brainamp posted:

Whats your tech level usually at by the time the mutons show up? Ideally you want to at least hit lasers and carapace before then.

Usually carapace but not lasers yet.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If you have to choose one go lasers, taking them out faster will help your survivability far more than a few more hp.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

khy posted:

Try beelining for lasers as soon as possible. It makes a pretty big difference, and its always possible to have lasers researched before the first terror mission regardless of scientists or any other rng stuff if you just start it after the first ufo mission.
Usually easier than going carapace first. This also lets you skip putting most of your squad in carapace (I usually just get one or two for assaults), before getting skeleton suits.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, 4 straight squad wipes on the first mission of I/I, one on the murder street and 3 in the paper supply firm (missed three flanking shots on the last one). I think I'm using the right tactics -- very conservative, only take sure things -- but mostly I just can't close in on the aliens.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are you playing on impossible? Try retreating more maybe.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PostNouveau posted:

Hmmm, 4 straight squad wipes on the first mission of I/I, one on the murder street and 3 in the paper supply firm (missed three flanking shots on the last one). I think I'm using the right tactics -- very conservative, only take sure things -- but mostly I just can't close in on the aliens.

The paper factory is a pretty lovely starter map honestly. Not as bad as some but it's hard to go anywhere outside of the initial vehicles you spawn next to. Ugh.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

S.J. posted:

The paper factory is a pretty lovely starter map honestly. Not as bad as some but it's hard to go anywhere outside of the initial vehicles you spawn next to. Ugh.

Go around the outside of the wall, and come in through the far gate instead of trying to push through the parking lot or the building. Makes it a lot more managable. If you make contact near the far gate, pull back through the gate, and set up an overwatch trap with soldiers positioned so that they can only be seen if the aliens actually step through the gate. Eg: not the truck right in front of the gate, because they can see and shoot you from the hard cover on their side of the gate. That means not everyone can take overwatch shots. Hide the others behind the trucks for concealment.

This means that if the aliens step through, they take overwatch, and since they didn't see your positions before they moved, they probably won't have moved into cover, or are flanked. Even if they've only used their first move, if they move into an exposed position, they are very likely to just retreat with the second move instead of firing. If they moved and fired, or better yet, double moved past the gate you can go to town on them.

This position on this map is really strong, and I've taken out muton squads on this map on I/I with only ballistic weapons.

If they've holed up and aren't coming through (doesn't usually happen on impossible, but can happen), take one of the concealed soldiers, and move him to the corner of the wall to peek until you see them. Once you see them, pull back again. Eventually, this should draw them in.
I think they may also react to footstep noises, since on other maps where aliens have holed up, they will start moving once I try to flank their position, but before I've seen them visually again. I'm not 100% sure on that, though.

General impossible tips for early missions to midgame. Use hunker down to intentionally draw fire from hard cover positions.
This lets you know where the enemies are, and guarantees that they are not on overwatch. Concealment is extremely important, but once contact is made, you want to avoid them running off into the fog, which makes things harder and they can set up their own overwatch.
Just keep in mind what cover is destructible, and if using destructible cover, how many available shots the aliens can take on that turn.

If you roll flooded street for the first map, not even blood sacrifices to the elder gods are likely to help you, though :)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've had some success running around the side into the semis connected to the warehouse. Downside was how easy it was to get flanked. Playing a lot more risky has made things more enjoyable for me on Impossible though despite the bodies.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Are you talking about the gate on the right, or in the foreground of this picture?

The loading bays are straight up dangerous because they have easy access to flank shots rightdown the truck.

I've had an early Flooded Street map on merely classic. One trick I used is the fact that the bus stop is concealment and you can hide and ambush dudes with grenades from there. I can't say that I'll do well if I roll that as my starter in Impossible :v:

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

khy posted:

Son you're here to shoot aliens first and foremost, not let them shoot you.

Beeline for lasers first.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

amanasleep posted:

Steam activity has me pretty convinced that an expansion is definitely in the works. It seems pretty obvious that they would not be announcing that poo poo until The Bureau gets released, otherwise they would mess up its launch. So I'm gonna say that they will issue a major patch (possibly PC only) in September, followed by a major expansion (XCOM EW) in October.

Ok, ok, I'll bite.

XCOM EW? What's EW supposed to stand for?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

We don't know. It's how the new XCOM content in the Steam registry is labelled.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

We don't know. It's how the new XCOM content in the Steam registry is labelled.

Wow, really? That's actually something real and not made up??

EW... what could it mean...

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Andre Banzai posted:

If the first one's subtitle is 'Enemy Unknown', then wouldn't it be 'Enemy Within'?

A competing XCOM-like organization?!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Andre Banzai posted:

Enemy Within? No, XCOM, you are the Aliens! If that was actually it, it would be hysterical.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Is there any particular tech I should focus on or away from? And how fast should I be trying to tackle the plot instead of just building up resources and tech?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Enemy Well-known

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think the only thing that's keeping news on the XCOM Expansion down is actually the Civ V expansion, so I expect to see news about more XCOM as soon as August. The only way The Bureau will move copies is if it gives people some cool TF2 items. :v:

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Enemy Within? No, XCOM, you are the Aliens! If that was actually it, it would be hysterical.

Enemy Within... hhmm...

Shen is always wondering what's going to happen with all that new technology and also warns that XCOM has a moral obligation to prepare the new psi-soldiers for life with their new gift.

Also, I believe it's possible that, since the Volunteer has peeked into the Ethereal Hive-Mind, the Ethereals may now know exactly where the XCOM base is located. Right? And about the organization in general.

Also, you do seem Thin Men infiltrating, but the whole Geoscape is based on panic, not actual infiltration, like in the first game. And we know it was not actually an invasion, the first "war" wasn't a war at all.

Maybe now it's a war, they'll infiltrate HARD, assault the XCOM base and destroy XCOM from the inside, and the Ethereals will succeed in using human bodies to "transcend" their own race? It would be really cool to have XCOM be reduced to a small rogue force, fighting without even the support of the Council (maybe only secretly from a few remaining countries), trying to overcome a full invasion and an enemy that's actively using "humans" (at least their bodies) against humanity.

Does this make sense?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Waffles Inc. posted:

If the first one's subtitle is 'Enemy Unknown', then wouldn't it be 'Enemy Within'?

That sounds like a great name for an expansion that includes base defense.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Azran posted:

Look at this fool, thinking Xcom will ever receive a patch. :smug:

(:smith:)

Patch 5 has already been completed. Scroll down to the "Branches" section and look at "qa_beta3" which is their final beta test group for patches. They will either update the 2k_community branch (if we're lucky, because that means they will give advanced beta access to 2k forums PC users) or it will go straight to all users through Steam.

Meanwhile note that Patch 5 is build ID 53830 while the current firaxis_qa build ID is 84438. That represents a lot of iterations over the last 5 months (for reference the have only updated from build ID 81143 in the past 2 weeks).

Whatever XCOM EW is, it's big enough to have more build iterations than the original game, although that would be expected for any expansion since Steam would likely only show post-Alpha build changes for the original application.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Brainamp posted:

Capitalizing on the buzz from the game Octodad, you play a cyberdisk masquerading as a human soldier. You must complete tasks around XCOM HQ without alerting your human squad members to the fact that you are a floating death machine.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Waffles Inc. posted:

"Extraterrestrial Warfare?" I'd be down for taking the fight out to the Xeno scum, instead of always being on the defensive.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

"Extraterrestrial Warfare?" I'd be down for taking the fight out to the Xeno scum, instead of always being on the defensive.

I wouldn't mind hitting Cydonia again. Maybe they could even put it on the nicely rendered moon that doesn't do anything =)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haha, when I first got the game and saw the moon, I assumed that's where the endgame would be.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Existential Warfare.

What's the point of all this fighting, anyway? :smith:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

What's the point of all this fighting, anyway? :smith:

For the purpose of dressing up our action figure soldiers with hats and custom armour.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Geight posted:

I think the only thing that's keeping news on the XCOM Expansion down is actually the Civ V expansion, so I expect to see news about more XCOM as soon as August. The only way The Bureau will move copies is if it gives people some cool TF2 items. :v:

To be honest The Bureau grows on me more in concept by the day. Maybe its because EU is already out and has scratched my traditional XCOM itch. Men with skinny ties and crew cuts using 60's chic technology to fight off aliens invading Suburbia!

And if the worst happens and I end up hating The Bureau then at least Xenonauts will combine cold war flavor with a modern imagining of a traditional XCOM game.

PS: If Xenonauts doesn't include the SR-71 Blackbird I will tantrum like a bitch. Fact.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
If the new expansion IS called Enemy Within... well, couldn't it be within the Earth? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Jetamo posted:

If the new expansion IS called Enemy Within... well, couldn't it be within the Earth? :tinfoil:

So Terror From the Deep (Earth)?

• Locked thread