Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Amnistar posted:

My favorite part about reaching King level in a norse empire? The fact that ALL of my underlings have CB on all the territory around my empire that isn't norse controlled, resulting in me me randomly expanding my borders are various dukes start pushing their conquest claims while I'm busy dealing with holy wards declared against me.

I've had a sad lack on holy wars declared on me--or many wars at all. I've become rather terrifying by the 11th century, I guess. I'm trying to push into the Mediterranean now so that hopefully when crusades and jihads start occurring, they'll give me a try. Maybe taking Rome will convince them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cemaphonic
Jan 1, 2011

Amnistar posted:

My favorite part about reaching King level in a norse empire? The fact that ALL of my underlings have CB on all the territory around my empire that isn't norse controlled, resulting in me me randomly expanding my borders are various dukes start pushing their conquest claims while I'm busy dealing with holy wards declared against me.

In my current game, I started in Denmark and conquered southern England. My English vassals steadily expanded north until they reached a powerful unified Scotland/Ireland, and then proceeded to press a weak claim of my ruler against the Scottish Queen without my consent or participation AND WON, just about doubling my levy strength. Somewhere along the way, they conquered Brittany as well.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Oh, yeah, that is a definitely nice thing.

It gets even better when you hit Empire status, because then?

Kings start saying, "Yeah, I want these lands.", and lo and behold, your domain starts just getting bigger. A lot bigger. Freakishly bigger.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

And then your super powerful king vassals start asking why they should even bother with and emperor in the first place.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Unless said Emperor is SIGURD YNGLING, THE 200 YEAR OLD GOD EMPEROR OF THE FROZEN NORTH.

In which case, they're all his direct descendants, and they all know they got as much of a chance as the next guy of inheriting, because the Yngling family tree by now is like a giant circle.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Crusaderking posted:

So I was clowning around with the ruler designer in the Project Balance mod,(which for whatever reason has set all the penalties for traits to 0) and I created a martial demigod with 21 health. He died at age 38 in single combat against a 55 year old drunken, craven, gluttonous bastard in a fight where said bastard was outnumbered 4 to 1.

:psyduck:

Did you give him a fighter trait, though? PB has a nice system in place for personal combat ability, and it considers martial to be mostly a "commander" stat. Even a character with Brilliant Strategist can be relatively bad at actually swinging a sword (and thus more likely to die in battle).

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

CobiWann posted:

I just can't get off of Ireland without someone going "gently caress YOU, I'M THE KING!"

BritishIsles.txt

I love this game.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 25, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jastiger posted:

I don't have an idea of the pacing of the game maybe. Maybe I went too fast? I. WANT. ENGLAND.

One of the advantages of the Stamford Bridge starting scenario is that England pretty much always ends up severely hosed up. It's pretty common for either Norway or Normandy to win the war, but only just barely leaving a large anglo-saxon contingent in control of their lands, who eventually rebel against the Conqueror, and then regardless of the outcome there England just spirals into neverending civil wars. So England isn't really a threat in the early game, and Scotland has a similar but less severe problem. Generally when I play with an Ireland start, my initial goal is to unify Ireland and spend some time putting my house in order. This means focusing on marriages and children, and attempting to either get additional land with a favourable inheritance, or failing that finding a spouse with good congenital traits that will help me raise an heir with a good diplomatic score. In my first game of CK2, I was able to get the Duchies of Thuringia and Aquitaine through favourable marriages to women who were the sole child of their father. It took a lot of looking around to get them, but their tax revenue helped fund my expansion.

My successor then usually focuses on sniping rebelling counties off Scotland and England, and hopefully forming Wales or Scotland. Then subsequent generations would focus on grinding down England or going on Crusade. Forming Britannia, unless you are already adept at things, is a multi-generation game.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Aghhhh my regent lowered my crown authority.

Hate. HATE.

When I grow up, I'm going to falsify evidence of his treason and execute him.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Knuc If U Buck posted:

And then your super powerful king vassals start asking why they should even bother with and emperor in the first place.

Fortunately they tend to rebel at 30% liege strength making them relatively easy to crush - then you can dismantle their little mini empire to keep them under control.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Knuc If U Buck posted:

No it works pretty good if you have medium authority and elective with dynasty members installed as kings and strong dukes. Election allows to jump from one supergenius ruler to other within the dynasty and not have to deal with revolts every succession. Having powerful relatives also means anyone going to war against dynasty member ends under a giant dogpile so kings are able to hold on to their kingdoms and expand.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rejected Fate posted:

Aghhhh my regent lowered my crown authority.

Hate. HATE.

When I grow up, I'm going to falsify evidence of his treason and execute him.

He probably did it to prevent a faction revolt. Don't be so swift to condemn him to die.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
What line in what file do you have to change in order to be able to usurp titles at 50%, instead of 51% ownership? I thought I found it in defines.lua but when I boot up my save it's still saying 51% :(

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
:siren:Patch 1.102 is out:siren:

quote:

INTERFACE:
- Removed the erroneous warning text about disinheriting a dynasty member when granting him a temple holding, for non-Christians
- West Africans now use the Mongol on-map shields
- Diplo View: Crusades/Jihads/Great Holy Wars are now listed before they can be used (with a tooltip why you can't use them)
- Added some more random Coat of Arms elements (more work to come)
- Fixed an issue where the wrong temple icon could be shown in the province view
- Fixed an issue with the displaying of strong claims for pagans and Zoroastrians

GAMEPLAY:
- Fixed bug where Arsenal building could be deleted on succession
- The decision for creating Hungary now takes away the Ukrainian part of their realm
- Zoroastrians can now properly use their Crusade CB
- 1066: Rebalanced William's, Harold's and Harald's starting forces
- Fixed a bug where Crown Laws would not carry over into created kingdoms and empires
- Fixed some bugs with True Cognatic succession
- You no longer get messages about adventurers who are not actually declaring war
- You must now be in the West African culture group to recruit the Ghanan Band
- Slashed some unnecessary memory usage for living characters
- Fixed bug where you sometimes raised two runestones in honor of your father
- The event where a female courtier initiates romance with her liege now properly checks their opinion of each other
- Expanded the Justanid dynasty of Gilan
- Fixes and additions to several Norwegian dynasties
- The Imperial Reconquest CB now also applies to the Kingdom of Asturias
- Fixed a bug where the order of holdings in provinces did not remain consistent when stepping back and forth in history
- Varangians will now only come back Orthodox if it's the Byzantine ruler's religion
- Diseases now actually trigger before 1066
- Fixed a rare crash issue with invalid coat of arms for Muslim held titles
- Some slight memory and speed optimizations
- Lund is now a temple holding
- Marshals can no longer interfere with their own efforts to train troops in a province
- Court Chaplains no longer claim characters are heretics if they are already branded as such
- The opinion modifiers given by events 3243 and 4148 no longer instantly disappear
- Added the Dál gCais dynasty
- Expanded the Morgannwg dynasty
- Fixes to Gwerthrynion dynasty members
- 867: Corrected the character Hrolf, the first duke of Normandy
- 1066: Corrected an issue with Gurgan and Dailam not being part of the Seljuk empire
- Loosened up the culture requirements for the formation of the kingdoms of Rus and Finland
- Follow-up events should now trigger properly when your wife is impregnated by a lover
- Added the three winning submissions from the Event Contest
- Piety from buildings is now given to both the owner and his/her liege
- Moved the duchy of Hayya from Abyssinia to Nubia
- Fixed a bug where the liege would always inherit a courtier's gold
- Improved the gold inheritance check to look for siblings and grandchildren if necessary
- No longer possible to invite a concubine to your court
- The Blot and Nerge decisions are now high priority, giving players a heads up when they are available
- Landless Popes can now call crusades
- Titles with free duchy revocation (the ERE) can now also revoke the de jure capital county freely

AI:
- Will no longer declare war on its current "player heir", or vice versa
- Will not flip culture to Swedish, Danish or Norwegian culture if in a huge Norse empire
- Will now execute claimants whose claim is currently pressed in a war against it
- Doges and patricians are now more likely to build in their cities
- Pagans now willing to accept cross-religion marriages with other pagans if it likes you enough
- Will now accept marriage offers for courtiers of the right religion, even if the ruler is of a hostile religion

- Female rulers or heirs less likely to marry non-matrilineally, unless they really like you
- More likely to revoke its de jure capital title

MODDING:
- Added Enatic and Enatic-Cognatic Succession code support (laws not available without slight modding)
- Added 'can_hold_temples' to religions (like Muslims can hold temple holdings)
- The history command 'raise_troops' now raises them with full morale
- Added 'merge' field to the 'spawn_unit' effect
- Added 'can_use_gui' to CB types
- Added liege_prestige, allowing buildings to give prestige to its owner and his/her liege

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Let me check something...

quote:

The matriline of historical nobility was also called her or his enatic or uterine ancestry, corresponding to the patrilineal agnatic ancestry treated in depth in the article Patrilineality.

:siren::siren::siren:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

No it works pretty good if you have medium authority and elective with dynasty members installed as kings and strong dukes. Election allows to jump from one supergenius ruler to other within the dynasty and not have to deal with revolts every succession. Having powerful relatives also means anyone going to war against dynasty member ends under a giant dogpile so kings are able to hold on to their kingdoms and expand.

I like elective for this reason, but I don't pick it for role-playing reasons. :shobon: Playing Primo, it always ends up more trouble than it's worth, especially with successions. All it takes is a couple of jackwad former sons/now uncles who decide they would look cool in the big chair and you've got issues. Especially when the ambitious trait starts seeping in after a few generations outside your control. You can often avoid it by keeping about 1k ducats in the bank (it's expensive to bribe kings) and try to bribe faction members to over 80 r'ship. Then again, dealing with successions etc is half the fun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy poo poo, they finally fixed that Arsenal bug. What took them so long with it, I wonder?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Oh, has anyone played that Winter King mod? Any good?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
"Will now execute claimants whose claim is currently pressed in a war against it"

What does this mean? If you're a claimant and press a war, and you lose, you die?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

beedeebee posted:

"Will now execute claimants whose claim is currently pressed in a war against it"

What does this mean? If you're a claimant and press a war, and you lose, you die?

Maybe "if the claimant is chilling out in their court, they loving kill him."

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

beedeebee posted:

If you're captured, you die, I think.

Likewise, if you're King Bumblefuck and press Count Wants claim on the Duchy of Somewhere and Count Wants gets captured, they'll execute him and the war will end.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It should also be noted that along with the patch 3 DLC were released! "Celtic Faces," "Celtic Songs," and "Dynasty Coat of Arms 3"!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Rejected Fate posted:

Oh, has anyone played that Winter King mod? Any good?

It is stupidly fun. Like, really stupidly fun.

If you have read Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Series then the mod will be twice as fun because it takes a lot of its inspirations from there (i.e., Lancelot is a vain, lying, pretty-boy better at paying bards to speak of his heroic feats than actually doing them; Merlin is a badass druid and Nimue is a crazy badass druid; motherfucking Derfel Cadran and the Wolftails).

If not, the mod is still a ton of fun and a pretty cool semi-alt history scenario where you can see the rise (and probably fall) of a historically plausible King Arthur facing off the Germanic hordes. Or you can be one of those stinky Saxons and poo poo all over Arthur's dream of a united Britain.

The mod itself is all really well done and there are hundreds of new events/decisions that flesh out the world and make it seem more alive.

edit: Also new patch probably breaks all the mods I play. Guess it's time to not play CK2 for a while!

Paradox's awesome support of their games is so bittersweet. :negative:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 25, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tehan posted:

Let me check something...

:siren::siren::siren:

Matriarchy! Yes! Also, my phone autocorrects Matriarchy to Patriarchy :tinfoil:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So that means created kingdoms ought to inherit your current succession and crown authority, right? That's a big loving deal.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

quote:

- Zoroastrians can now properly use their Crusade CB
drat, I wish I had this 150 years ago!

quote:

- Fixed a bug where Crown Laws would not carry over into created kingdoms and empires

Yesssssss

quote:

- Fixed a bug where the order of holdings in provinces did not remain consistent when stepping back and forth in history

Haha this bug sounds much awesomer than it really is

quote:

- Added the three winning submissions from the Event Contest

Oh poo poo I hope this is the secret bear event!

quote:

- Landless Popes can now call crusades

I could've sworn that this was possible before, and it resulted in an instant 100% warscore for the other side.

quote:

- Titles with free duchy revocation (the ERE) can now also revoke the de jure capital county freely

Oh cool, this makes it so that you can actually revoke effectively since you can have a county to send out along with the title

quote:

- Pagans now willing to accept cross-religion marriages with other pagans if it likes you enough
- Will now accept marriage offers for courtiers of the right religion, even if the ruler is of a hostile religion

Yessssssss

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
YEAAAHHHHHH!!!! MATRILINEAL SUCCESSION!!

Time to fix my Girl Power mod to force all countries to be Enatic from the start of the game! :woop: Muwahaha!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
With the AI tweaks in this patch, I hope they eventually make it so that the AI is more willing to consolidate its current/de-jure counties before expanding outward. States on the outer edges are fine, but not dudes sitting in the middle of your territory; so that means the HRE would always go after Franconia first before attempting to re-take or even ignoring the Netherlands if they go independent.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 25, 2013

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
The contest winning events are a bit disappointing. The Mande and Suomenusko ones are alright, but the third winner is a horribly broken Norse event which gives you two choices (and a third if you're greedy) - one choice gives you 100 gold and prestige and the Zealous trait, the second costs you 100 prestige and the third costs you 100 prestige and gives other Pagan rulers a negative diplomatic modifier towards you.

Meanwhile the quite nice Slavic events get the shaft, and the Slavs continue to be really anemic so that the already really awesome and fun-to-play Norse get more goodies. :/

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
I have never understood the point of events whet choice A is some goodies and choice B is all bad.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Amnistar posted:

I have never understood the point of events whet choice A is some goodies and choice B is all bad.

I guess it is for the people that "role play" their characters and write epic sagas about them.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Meanwhile the quite nice Slavic events get the shaft, and the Slavs continue to be really anemic so that the already really awesome and fun-to-play Norse get more goodies. :/

The way you write this it sounds like those submitted Slavic events are available somewhere?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Belasarius posted:

I guess it is for the people that "role play" their characters and write epic sagas about them.

It's just flat out bad for roleplaying, is the thing. A mixed event where there's no standout good option is great (and/or a mod where traits aren't just mostly good/bad mirrors of each other), you can choose whichever one fits your character best without taking a big gameplay penalty as a result.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It should also be noted that along with the patch 3 DLC were released! "Celtic Faces," "Celtic Songs," and "Dynasty Coat of Arms 3"!

Stop making me spend money Paradox. Anyone picked these up yet and have any opinion on how they are?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Belasarius posted:

I feel like even for that it would be better if the choice offered a benefit for following your negative traits, instead of just being either unease their opinion of you by fostering them our lose opinion by not.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Dallan Invictus posted:

The way you write this it sounds like those submitted Slavic events are available somewhere?

Er, well they were submitted in the contest, and were in an earlier thread specifically about the treatment of Slavic Pagans compared to Norse. I'll go digging for them, though I'm not great at code and probably can't code them in as events.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Er, well they were submitted in the contest, and were in an earlier thread specifically about the treatment of Slavic Pagans compared to Norse. I'll go digging for them, though I'm not great at code and probably can't code them in as events.

I don't keep up very well with the Paradox forums, is why I wasn't sure if the submissions were public. I wanted to see the idea for myself, is all - maybe some inspired modder will throw them in.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I hate events where it doesn't tell you the effects like the peasant demanding money from a courtier. I don't have enough of the facts to know whether the peasant is right or not and the reactions seem to be random, so why am I being bothered with it?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Non Sequitur posted:

:siren:Patch 1.102 is out:siren:

Well gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I'm seeing Celtic Faces and Units, but no Songs. Have a link to the store page? I want me some more music.

• Locked thread