Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Factory Factory posted:

Honestly, unless they used an ad agency for that, that could have just been a side project among employees with hobbies that was touched up by the marketing department for release.

E: Actually, I'd say that the video is a smashing (:v:) success, because we're talking about AMD instead of the GTX 760 reviews. $249.

Damnit, AnandTech. Those Crysis 3 benches. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'll be upgrading my 460 to a 760 it seems. My current resolution is 1920x1200 though I'm thinking of upgrading to 1440p.

The 239€-249€ the retailers want is more than $300 but I kinda expected it.

Is there a specific brand I want? I'm seeing Palit, Gainward, Asus, Gigabyte (which my 460 was), Inno3D, Zotac and KFA2. All for the same price, 239€ for the normal ones and 249€ for what I take are OC.

Or should I wait for the (probably 299€) 760 ti?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I've been using it but it still look like poo poo fullscreen. I like to play it in a window so I can look at other stuff while playing anyway.

AMD made a dumb video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6XayaLTw8

Having purchased my first Radeon last week, this does not instill me with a lot of confidence, AMD. :ughh:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

As Agreed has mentioned, the Nvidia Greenlight thing ensures that all cards adhere to strict standards. That being said, out of the brands you listed, I'd pick Asus just out of personal preference.

There may not be a 760Ti, there's really no place for it in the lineup as of now. Also there are rumors that the 760 is the last new card that will be coming out for a while.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Sereri posted:

Or should I wait for the (probably 299€) 760 ti?
It doesn't look like they are planning to release a 760 ti. The 760 should be the last new NVIDIA release this year.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ardlen posted:

It doesn't look like they are planning to release a 760 ti. The 760 should be the last new NVIDIA release this year.

Well I guess that answers that, I guess I misread the 660ti on the AnandTech review.

I also spotted a 4GB version from EVGA. Guess I'll have to wait a week for reviews of all those cards.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Edit: If EVGA is an option, I'd go with EVGA. They are really good at making cards. You don't get to be number one in a highly competitive market by sucking at what you do. Maybe they'll have an ACX cooling version of the 760 - that would be a seriously bad mother, and I seem to recall one of the leaks being of an EVGA box with the "ACX" branding logo on it... Wait and see if you have the patience for it?

My gut says Zotac or Asus from those choices. Zotac is becoming a great brand, and with Greenlight enforcing quality rather than leaving it to manufacturers, they're "helped" along that path a bit more. I always bring this up but it's important to remember that Zotac shares a parent company with Sapphire, who were for the longest time ATI's version of EVGA - the closest partner making the most definitively reliable parts, an official representative of reference quality for the company. It's my feeling that Zotac wants to cut into EVGA's market share and do something similar with nVidia.

Their motherboards are pretty neat on paper, too, not sure how they work in the real world. I think Factory Factory got one, he might have some comment. But EVGA also makes motherboards and they're not considered a motherboard company as such beyond the enthusiasts for EVGA who go in for the branding and all that. EVGA staff have proved their mobos are quality, there's a guy on staff who is running a Haswell i7 at over 5GHz on his motherboard along with however many cards you can stuff in the thing (probably 4). It's just not their area of specialty.

Zotac's kinda the same way. So is Asus, but in reverse (though they seem to make very good graphics cards, especially to serve the European market).

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 25, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nice performance improvement on the 770, but my 670 is less than a year old :negative:

I think I will probably hang on to it until Maxwell, and eek out all the performance I can from OCing. 2GB of VRAM is definitely on the border for 1600p :(

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Gettier problem, Agreed.

I did have a refurbished EVGA 680i board briefly between a motherboard failure and building my Sandy Bridge machine, but I've never mentioned it, and I posted about them recently based on reviews, not on personal knowledge.

But the long and short of EVGA motherboards is that they have great electronics for stuff like overclocking and SLI, poor secondary features, and uncompetitive BIOS/UEFI development. Plus they're really expensive.

Zotac is similar as far as uncompetitive BIOS/UEFI development, but their mobo electronics are more average in return for better pricing and better (if inexpensive) secondary features.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Agreed posted:

I always bring this up but it's important to remember that Zotac shares a parent company with PowerColor, who were for the longest time ATI's version of EVGA - the closest partner making the most definitively reliable parts, an official representative of reference quality for the company.

I always thought it was sapphire... That's why my old 5970 was a sapphire, though considering it died after 2 and a half years (and I never even overclocked it) maybe they weren't so hot...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I always thought it was sapphire... That's why my old 5970 was a sapphire, though considering it died after 2 and a half years (and I never even overclocked it) maybe they weren't so hot...

D'oh, that's the one. I don't know why I said PowerColor. It's Sapphire they share a parent company with.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
How does the 760 that has fewer cores edge out the 660Ti? Is it because the memory bus isn't gimped?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

spasticColon posted:

How does the 760 that has fewer cores edge out the 660Ti? Is it because the memory bus isn't gimped?

SMXes aren't everything. In this case I think the combination of superior memory bandwidth and 32 ROPs vs. 24 ROPs is the huge difference.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

drat I missed that I thought the 760 had the same number of ROPs as the 660Ti and now I feel like my ASUS 660Ti is badly gimped. Can overclocking compensate for the eight ROPs that were cut?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's also clocked really high. Shader operations are so parallel that you measure them in total throughput, not per-core loading. So you can make up for fewer cores with higher clocks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Looking at the techpowerup review the performance difference is about 5-6% across the board, so not a huge deal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ugh, that 760 review on Anandtech is really making me consider ditching my 560ti, especially at the pricepoint.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Pretty silly, but the irony is that ATI is highly competitive in a weird way in mobile graphics, because of the IP they sold to Qualcomm. Newest Adreno is smoking!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

LmaoTheKid posted:

Ugh, that 760 review on Anandtech is really making me consider ditching my 560ti, especially at the pricepoint.

You could whip your e-peen around and say that your new card would be better than a 7970 :smuggo: if you're into that sort of thing.

edit: I think I got way too fixated on the AnandTech 1080p marks on Crysis 3. It started to cloud my eyes so much all the way to TechPowerUp's reviews that I ended up tunnel-visioning at the weird 1600x900 marks and the overclocking comparisons. :downsowned:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 25, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
You're confusing the 760 for the 770. The 760 fights with the 7950.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Agreed posted:

Their motherboards are pretty neat on paper, too, not sure how they work in the real world. I think Factory Factory got one, he might have some comment.
I'd be very cautious about Zotac, their power delivery quality has always been rather poor. Anandtech's Zotac mini-ITX boards they used in their case/component reviews have been dying due to power issues, and Zotac's GTX 600-series cards definitely had much weaker power components leading to limited overclocking even with stock cooling. I haven't seen anyone detail how Project Greenlight works for non-Titan cards, but if they don't let Zotac cheap out on power then there probably isn't any downside to current-gen Zotac cards.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Agreed posted:

Maybe they'll have an ACX cooling version of the 760 - that would be a seriously bad mother, and I seem to recall one of the leaks being of an EVGA box with the "ACX" branding logo on it... Wait and see if you have the patience for it?
Agreed was on point, as usual: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933
Ordered. Welp.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Tri-SLI 760s or 780?

I'm morbidly curious.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Depends, what's my IQ?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
2280! :haw:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Don't hate me for telling ya, but it turns out the ACX design scales down somewhat less well than one might hope. It's still hella better than reference cooling, but the noise levels can't match MSI or Gigabyte or Asus, and temps aren't quite as good either. It's the least effective of the four aftermarket coolers of note on the GTX 760.

THAT SAID, it's an EVGA product, which means quality guaranteed, a damned good warranty, some neat options for how you want your warranty taken care of, etc.; if I were in the market I'd go with it over the other options because I prefer EVGA graphics cards after many great experiences with them going back to the 7600 AGP when the previous card, a Leadtek Winfast 6800 GT that I had flashed to Ultra specs, croaked on me after a couple years (fan died in a year, probably should have RMA'd, but it was the same dimension as an AMD Barton-core cooling fan at the time so I just tied a fan on at the PCB through-hole mounts and it actually worked fine like that for another year or so).

Once I went EVGA, I did not look back. Great cards, fair prices, customer service that matters. The video card marketplace is a very competitive one and for them to have reached the position of top partner by a substantial margin did not happen by accident.

Malcolm XML posted:

Tri-SLI 760s or 780?

I'm morbidly curious.

For performance? Standard SLI 760s would probably get awfully close. I get performance from the 780, overclocked 313MHz core from reference and 600MHz effective VRAM from reference, that is very similar to either 660Tis in SLI or 670s in SLI. If you were to add a third 760, even if it hurt overall scaling and you only got 75% performance from it, you'd beat a 780 though you'd have one obnoxiously complex and finicky setup in the process. I like powerful single GPUs for a reason, oy.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
The one problem with Evga is that they bin very aggressively. So if you buy a upper-tier Evga card, you know it'll overclock very well, but if you buy a lower-tier card, it won't OC well at all. A stock clocked card from Evga will, on average, clock lower than a stock card from most manufacturers.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I just noticed with my ASUS 660Ti that with certain games during loading screens the fans on it make what sounds like a rattling sound for a second or two then it goes away. Is this a glitch with the newest driver or is there something wrong with my card?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

spasticColon posted:

I just noticed with my ASUS 660Ti that with certain games during loading screens the fans on it make what sounds like a rattling sound for a second or two then it goes away. Is this a glitch with the newest driver or is there something wrong with my card?
This sounds like a bearing issue on your fan. I've started to get that on my EVGA GTX 670, it's getting progressively worse but I'm also bad about cleaning the card out. I'm pretty much just planning to get an aftermarket cooler when I buy a bigger case, but I'm also not really happy with the cooling performance of the stock cooler.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well this card has one of those big aftermarket coolers on it already with two fans instead of the stock blower cooler and I just blew out what little dust was in it a few weeks ago. I've had this card for less than a year so is it RMA time?

Edit: It's this card here:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx660tidc22gd5

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 25, 2013

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

GigaFuzz posted:

You could have them email you when new ones come out:
http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers

This is perfect, thank you.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Whats the best way to go about determining the performance difference between video cards that are several generations apart? Like an HD 7000 series and an HD 4000? They hardly use the same benchmarks any more and I would think you would need to rerun the older cards on the newer drivers to make sure that they were given a fair shot.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I need some help overclocking my EVGA 780 SC with ACX cooler. I'm overclocking in precion since I've heard of issues with afterburner. I find the layout of precision to be a bit clunky and I have a hard time finding what my stock(from EVGA) numbers are. I put the GPU clock to +77, and the memory clock to +125. It ran a benchmark of heaven fine, but while it was finished and still kind of running in the background the drivers crashed. This is with the voltage at one setting higher than clock. I'm just not really sure what exactly putting the GPU clock to +77, and the memory clock to +125 is bringing my totals to. Is there an easy way to tell? I just find the tachometer or whatever design you call it very un-intuitive.

Does anyone else have the same card I do and have some decent OC numbers that I can go with and see how well it works?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

I have a hard time finding what my stock(from EVGA) numbers are.

According to Newegg

Core Clock: 967 MHz
Boost Clock: 1020 MHz

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Max out your power target first. Use the performance log to determine what clocks it's running at. The reason they have you adjust offsets instead of the clocks directly is the card will dynamically change its speeds based on power usage and load. (There can be over 50 different power states defined by the manufacturer in the bios)

Double clicking on the log will pop it out into its own window, I believe it records the last 15 minutes.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 26, 2013

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I just ran another test of Heaven, and it was running at 1150 core clock, and 3132 Mem clock. Is that memory clock number doubled some how, because I see people all over talking of 6-7k mem clock. It seems if I go +10 higher on the core clock, I'll get a crash in Heaven. Is that when I need to adjust the power target?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zotix posted:

I need some help overclocking my EVGA 780 SC with ACX cooler. I'm overclocking in precion since I've heard of issues with afterburner. I find the layout of precision to be a bit clunky and I have a hard time finding what my stock(from EVGA) numbers are. I put the GPU clock to +77, and the memory clock to +125. It ran a benchmark of heaven fine, but while it was finished and still kind of running in the background the drivers crashed. This is with the voltage at one setting higher than clock. I'm just not really sure what exactly putting the GPU clock to +77, and the memory clock to +125 is bringing my totals to. Is there an easy way to tell? I just find the tachometer or whatever design you call it very un-intuitive.

Does anyone else have the same card I do and have some decent OC numbers that I can go with and see how well it works?

Yeah, step one here is to max your power target and thermal target (the two sliders that go on this model to like 106% and 95º but 94º when you hit apply). There is a small arrow between the two, it defaults to the power target (facing up) - click it to change it to the thermal target (facing down).

What that accomplishes is instead of trying to keep the card under that power usage, which we don't care about and doesn't help with such a low overhead anyway, it now will try to keep the card under that temperature. With the aftermarket cooling we have more than ample cooling to keep it away from 94ºC so it'll be striving to make the card that hot and thus not getting in our way. TDP will still be an issue, but not the way it is with Titan where feeding that full enabled double-precision hardware takes precious voltage away from the core, VRAM, memory controller, and thus raises current TDP closer and closer to the hard-coded max TDP without giving nearly as much clock for the buck.

Then, select Voltage, click the middle button on the Voltage screen to Overvolt and hit accept. You're not going to hurt anything on your card by running it at 1.2V. It is fine and that will give it what it needs to hit higher clocks.

A driver crash is almost, almost, almost always "too much core clock/not enough voltage" and very rarely has to do with memory, which obligingly shows up as various kinds of screen corruption. Horizontal green lines on mine if I push the memory too far, seen for a split second but a tell-tale sign that the VRAM's gotta come down.

Once you've uncapped the voltage on it and have maxed it out completely, and set it to the thermal target, heaven is a good place to start the overclocking process. First, just see where it'll take the core on its own for as many runs as possible. You don't know 'til you see what its inherent ability to boost past the set boost clock is gonna be.

Then, manually start adding increments of +13MHz to the core offset clock, checking each time for a complete run through or two through heaven. Remember that the ACX comes with about a 150MHz overclock from the factory. I have a card that overclocks to +60, which on top of its inherent boosting gives me 1175MHz core (which, for me, is +60 on the core) and 6600MHz (effective) on the GDDR5, or +300 on the core. If you have a really good overclocker on your hands you might get it up to 1200MHz+; it should be bin capped at 1241MHz, if you get it there congrats, you have one of the very tip-top percentile cards!

Make sure to mix up your benchmarks. Heaven can find a lot of stuff and helps with repeated iterations and all that since it just keeps running, but if you have 3Dmark11, it has its own pretty clear signs of error (it was a great tool in getting to my memory clock wall) and then there's 3DMark (2013) which you should get a free copy of when you upload an invoice and click the promotion, repeat the Firestrike bench over six times in a row and see if it looks identical every time.

Then play games and find out if your OC is stable, or not so stable after all. I recommend Crysis 3, it flexes DX11 features and will tell you pretty quick if you're overreaching in practicum :)

Zotix posted:

So I just ran another test of Heaven, and it was running at 1150 core clock, and 3132 Mem clock. Is that memory clock number doubled some how, because I see people all over talking of 6-7k mem clock. It seems if I go +10 higher on the core clock, I'll get a crash in Heaven. Is that when I need to adjust the power target?

Going by power target would net you a maximum of 6% over stock. Forget power target. It's all about thermal target for this card. Make sure you don't just have your voltage up, but that you are Overvolting, make sure it's set to prioritize thermal target by clicking that little arrow between the two.

And yes, the memory clock you see is effectively doubled for actual memory operations. So right now you're at 6264MHz on the VRAM.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 26, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

SlayVus posted:

Whats the best way to go about determining the performance difference between video cards that are several generations apart? Like an HD 7000 series and an HD 4000? They hardly use the same benchmarks any more and I would think you would need to rerun the older cards on the newer drivers to make sure that they were given a fair shot.

Analogous benchmark performance is the best you can do. Find a bench that pits the outgoing against the incoming generation for that product's time period, then find a bench that pits the new "stand in" for the older product that you determined against a newer product.

Anandtech has GPU benches going back to at least 2011, 2010 maybe, but you can find reviews for older cards all over the web and put the maths together yourself without too much of a problem.

For example, a GTX 280 performs pretty close to a GTX 560 Ti, which performs pretty close to an overclocked GTX 650 Ti. So a GTX 280 and a GTX 650 Ti have remarkably similar performance in videogames.

CUDA and PhysX changes more dramatically as you go, though. Updated PhysX software can be used by newer cards more efficiently, and the CUDA API has changed a lot since its formal introduction back in the Tesla (200-series) architecture cards.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

K so I followed your directions Agreed. I got to 1190 core clock and ran a full Heaven benchmark. However once I got my score it crashed. My temps seemed to be fine. Would adjusting memory clock at this point keep it stable? Or is the core clock just too high for the card that I got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Only the really, really good ones get past 1200MHz. You might want to try backing it off one turbo bin (find the point at which it reduces the clockrate by 13MHz) and see if the behavior continues.

Given the robustness of the memory controller and the quality of the VRAM used by nVidia (and EVGA) it is unlikely that you should find your VRAM capped there.

Here's the quick and dirty "how" of GDDR5 - the base clock is the number you see there divided by two. So these are shipping with quality 1500MHz GDDR5 base clock memory modules (edit: for completeness' sake, they are Samsung K4G20325FD-FC03 modules clocked at 1500MHz from the factory for an effective 6GHz clock - high quality memory). The effective clock is quadruple that number. 6000MHz. Well, 6004, actually, but that's really splitting hairs. EVGA doesn't increase the VRAM clock from the factory, they leave that to you. A lot of people have success getting it to close to 7000MHz, which would be an offset of +500 (or 1750MHz on the actual base clock of the GDDR5).

But a lot of people don't, finding it limited somewhere between the stock clockrate and 7KGHz. I am fine at 6600MHz, that's an additional +300MHz in Precision X and a base clock rate of 1650MHz. Remember that with a 384-bit memory bus, you have 6 64-bit memory controllers and 3GB of VRAM broken up into smaller modules than on Titan (which has twice as much VRAM, operating at the same speed). Any one of those could be incapable of running at the higher clock, even if all the rest could take it no problem.

Overclocking is finding the gestalt of settings that produce stable and superior performance. Good luck :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 26, 2013