Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Stupid question: Issues are account-wide, right? I didn't even notice I was selecting a character when in the store and "bought" (1200 bonus points!) the issues "for" my alt, but my primary can also utilize the issues right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Stupid question: Issues are account-wide, right? I didn't even notice I was selecting a character when in the store and "bought" (1200 bonus points!) the issues "for" my alt, but my primary can also utilize the issues right?
Yes. The mission pack will be in "delivered items" for all your characters, although I don't know if you actually have to claim it with each one.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I assume for leeching, I want attack power over healing power, correct?

e: I remember someone mentioning some abilities can be used with any weapon. Is there a list of these? Only plan to go AR/Shotgun, but if there's an ability in Chaos that gives me 75% increased damage with all weapons, that sounds like something that would be good to know.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 25, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Concerning my points/time question from earlier:

Now I feel :downs:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What exactly does it mean they may be invalidated any time after 30 days? As in it's a limited offer, or just that, "Hey, they may randomly disappear. gently caress if we know."?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

e: I remember someone mentioning some abilities can be used with any weapon. Is there a list of these? Only plan to go AR/Shotgun, but if there's an ability in Chaos that gives me 75% increased damage with all weapons, that sounds like something that would be good to know.
If that's leeching while soloing, you mainly want attack rating and few healing pieces (one or two, possibly). For group healing it gets trickier and depends on what content you're doing and how powerful your gear is in general.

Also, most passives work with all weapons, exceptions are stated in the description. While weapons are usually unrestricted, proc conditions are specific. The best passives add 5-10% to all damage, like Fluid Defence, Twist the Knife, Ferocity, Lethality or each weapon's 10% bonus passive. Elemental Force is probably worth it too. In the beginning flat damage procs can also be good, but be aware you will eventually outscale them.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What exactly does it mean they may be invalidated any time after 30 days? As in it's a limited offer, or just that, "Hey, they may randomly disappear. gently caress if we know."?
Bonus points expire eventually, although I think they announce if they purge them.

orcane fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 25, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Rookersh posted:

In what context are you asking about leeching? If your talking about end game QL 10.4.4 gear, then having a 60% attack rating and 40% heal rating should cover most fights and could probably get away with more attack rating. If your talking about solo while leveling, I ignored heal rating entirely and just focused on attack rating.

As far as abilities that can be used regardless of weapons: There are three green trees on the ability wheel which focus on tanking, damage and survivability. These are not weapon specific and can be used to supplement any build. Any passive ability from any weapon can be used any time. If your looking for a list of useful passive's, I'm sure we can throw something together.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Does anyone have a good DPS build for pistols/blood or claws/chaos? I'm running sword/chaos now but I dislike the speed of which stuff goes down.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
The mission bugs sure are magnificent in TSW. (about Egypt story last parts)
For some reason, the game updated my quest to enter the Black Pyramid without using the song at the entrance. The mission scripting completely shat itself and I proceeded through the pyramid to kill Akhenaten without any cutscenes or such. After he dies, a group of Orochi soldiers warp in through a magical plot loophole or something and brain the superbee player. Then the game decides to throw me outside the mine at Blue Mountain and reset the story quest a step or two backwards :downs:

Oh well, it worked correctly on the third attempt.

Reverend Dr posted:

Hardly anyone uses awful or cabal chat. Its all mumble at this point.

No it isn't. At least I don't stay in Mumble because I got no interest in listening random internet people blather while I'm playing the game, especially one with a lot of VO. But I'm up for helping with any dungeons if someone asks in #awful.

Though you're right in that if you want to run NM's with goons, staying in Mumble is pretty mandatory.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Just out of curiosity:

I bought this game directly from the site a while back, I don't suppose there is anyway to activate it on Steam as well without having to rebuy, is there?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

orcane posted:

You can try ctrl-shift-f1 (I think?) or /reloadui if things disappear from your inventory. The inventory can be buggy at times but to me it's not constantly so. The crafting window frequently bugs out though, and the thing you noticed with "breaking" valid recipes with additional stuff is probably a side effect of Funcom disabling crafting of multiple items with stacks of materials in the past (due to bugs).

The elemental materials have effects on what sort of talisman/potion/gadget you create but weapons always consist of metal. In talismans the choice of material determines if you make a DPS, tank or healing item, but weapons just have the universal weapon power stat.

Thanks, nice to have some clarification about how the crafting works. It's so abstracted from reality that I had a hard time grasping the concept at first.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Honey Badger posted:

Just out of curiosity:

I bought this game directly from the site a while back, I don't suppose there is anyway to activate it on Steam as well without having to rebuy, is there?

I bought it off a site as well and I attempted to redeem the key on steam before and after registering on TSW.com. no luck on either attempt.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The only benefit to Steam is tracked playtime. It's an MMO so Steam doesn't update any updates for you, the launcher does that. I guess also if you want the game to not close properly Steam has that going for you. The Steam overlay and the in-game browser hate each other so you have to disable the Steam overlay, completely getting rid of chat, friends, and the browser. But at least the game closes properly!

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Finally got my last lore tonight. Now I'm just missing the event lore from the Samhain and End of Days events. Wish I'd joined a few months earlier!

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
I've had the itch to try this game out for a long time and haven't done it yet. Anyone have a trial key I can use to check it out?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

EatMySpork posted:

I've had the itch to try this game out for a long time and haven't done it yet. Anyone have a trial key I can use to check it out?

NBSCCUSQLSXUNF7ENPML

https://register.thesecretworld.com

Edit: Oh hey, more costumes from Halloween in the cash shop. Pretty pretty princesses can now be a princess for reals. Or dudes can be prince what the gently caress ever.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 25, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

HughGRect posted:

Edit: Oh hey, more costumes from Halloween in the cash shop. Pretty pretty princesses can now be a princess for reals. Or dudes can be prince what the gently caress ever.

What's left? Pirate and Santa?

(I regret getting Pirate.)

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

What's left? Pirate and Santa?

(I regret getting Pirate.)

As far as cash shop outfits, yeah. But there is also The End of Days outfit and the Baron Samati(sp?) outfit

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So when does damage catch up?

Doing AR/Shotgun. Alternating through my skill points between Shotgun and AR damage, and grabbing the armor unlocks on the side. Currently have three points in AR damage, and 2 in Shotgun damage, then 1 point in each armor category.

On top of that, I just unlocked the end ranks of ARs, because I've been alternating back and forth between unlock shotgun stuff/ar stuff.

I can kill the horde zombies just fine, but the second I head to the beaches, and fight the mariners/draug, it takes me a hell of a long time to burn through them, usually 3-4 rotations of popping the point blank/grenade high damage AR/Shotgun moves. Anything over two mobs, and I'm toast, and I'm hardpressed to kill two at a time.

Also, I can buy two episodes on the store. When do those technically start in game. One apparently has something to do with the events of Kingsmouth, so I'm wondering if I should buy it now to have it unlocked by the time I finish the zone.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I stored up 175 AP today (on accident; I 'only' had 70 or so last night) and figured I'd finally go ahead and buy a ton of outer-ring skills for my Elementalism, and holy poo poo, what an enormous difference! I can see now why deck building is such a popular passtime.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rookersh posted:

Doing AR/Shotgun. Alternating through my skill points between Shotgun and AR damage, and grabbing the armor unlocks on the side. Currently have three points in AR damage, and 2 in Shotgun damage, then 1 point in each armor category.

On top of that, I just unlocked the end ranks of ARs, because I've been alternating back and forth between unlock shotgun stuff/ar stuff.

I can kill the horde zombies just fine, but the second I head to the beaches, and fight the mariners/draug, it takes me a hell of a long time to burn through them, usually 3-4 rotations of popping the point blank/grenade high damage AR/Shotgun moves. Anything over two mobs, and I'm toast, and I'm hardpressed to kill two at a time.

Also, I can buy two episodes on the store. When do those technically start in game. One apparently has something to do with the events of Kingsmouth, so I'm wondering if I should buy it now to have it unlocked by the time I finish the zone.

I don't know what your build is but it sounds like some of it may not be very good. No grenade of any kind is very good, and you don't want to use AOE attacks on single targets.

The issues are mostly for QL10+ geared people.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The thing is AR doesn't have a single target consumer in the inner wheel so the grenade is all a newbie has a vailable for a while. They also don't get an AoE builder but that's a bit less of a problem (it's noticeably more annoying than shotgun for early Kingsmouth though).

Also wow, they want 1280 points for that princess outfit, with lifetime discount, so 1600 without it :wtc:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Finishing the story line is a good bench mark for the DLC, or at least getting to Transylvania and being QL 10 (including gear). Increasing the AR and shotgun skills is good, but the effect only reduces your chance to glance. To increase your damage you need better gear and weapons.

Your first real damage boost will come when you hit Rifle skill 5 and you go to Blue Mountain and buy a blue Rifle with the 50 sequins your hoarding from doing missions. A good mid step is to get into Polaris groups when you hear people looking for members in general chat, or best bet is ask in awful chat/mumble if any bored goons would be willing to do a quick run through Polaris normal. The overgear check is not that bad and most people in QL 10 blues+ should be able to solo it so you can get all the fat loots. Watch out for pubbie Polaris normal groups, if its a legit newbie crew I would hold off. Most of the time there are QL 10's who want kits or a specific weapon skin from Polaris and are nice enough to let young'ens in.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I kind of liked running them "for real" with strangers. The last boss can be hit or miss but the rest of the dungeon is pretty fun and pretty easy to complete even with a bad group.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

guppy posted:

I don't know what your build is but it sounds like some of it may not be very good. No grenade of any kind is very good, and you don't want to use AOE attacks on single targets.

The issues are mostly for QL10+ geared people.

My current spec is Safety Off, Pump Action, Anima Shot, Fire at Will, Out for a Kill, Fire in the Hole, and Lock and Load.

I usually start with SO due to the extra point, PA for the weakness, SO/SO, OfaK/FitH because they are all I have that's high damage, then pop Lock and Load and do another FitH.

This usually only takes monsters down to 60-75%, so I have to do it twice more. And if I pull anything nearby, god help me, I'll be fighting for awhile.

From where I am pointswise ( starting to unlock Shotgun skills just to fight groups in Kingsmouth, just hit outer rim of ARs. ), I'm thinking of next grabbing Three Round Burst, at it looks like it'd be a bit better then FitH. The core problem still remains though of damage. My Anima shots barely heal me for 36 each hit, which is almost pointless. Just wondering if that stuff gets better as I gear up/get more skills/passives.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

orcane posted:

Also wow, they want 1280 points for that princess outfit, with lifetime discount, so 1600 without it :wtc:
But it's such a nice tiara :allears:

If you buy one of those outfits account-wide, does it get unlocked for both female and male characters or do you have to buy the versions separately? Because now I want to make a Jaime Lannister Templar alt...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rookersh posted:

My current spec is Safety Off, Pump Action, Anima Shot, Fire at Will, Out for a Kill, Fire in the Hole, and Lock and Load.

I usually start with SO due to the extra point, PA for the weakness, SO/SO, OfaK/FitH because they are all I have that's high damage, then pop Lock and Load and do another FitH.

This usually only takes monsters down to 60-75%, so I have to do it twice more. And if I pull anything nearby, god help me, I'll be fighting for awhile.

From where I am pointswise ( starting to unlock Shotgun skills just to fight groups in Kingsmouth, just hit outer rim of ARs. ), I'm thinking of next grabbing Three Round Burst, at it looks like it'd be a bit better then FitH. The core problem still remains though of damage. My Anima shots barely heal me for 36 each hit, which is almost pointless. Just wondering if that stuff gets better as I gear up/get more skills/passives.

Don't run 2 builders. Especially 2 that each have a passive attached. You aren't doing enough damage because you have too many wasted passive slots most likely. The best healing is killing mobs before they hit you enough to matter.

You could go with a build like this for a minimum amount of AP spent and you should have enough damage and passive healing to roll everything without propping up with Anima Shot too often.

http://www.badomens.net/calculator#0164o.09.09066s800g.06g.09.090004.09.09.09.09.09.09.06/353j033b3x3d0b0008363a0c3e804w00

Also, where are you and what's the QL of your gear like. You could probably stand to pick up a few easy-to-get upgrades.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Definitely get Three Round Burst, a second single-target consumer will help you a lot.

It does get better as you gear up (blue gear lets you specialize, whereas green stuff is intentionally spread out on stats), but what doesn't change is that going for survivability will usually just make encounters take longer. Most of the time, you can just focus on DPSing an enemy down and then eat a taco afterwards. (You buy tacos in London. Or any other food, I guess.)

I'd limit yourself to one builder (or only use Pump Action when you need AOE, and not worry about Weakening enemies). And pick up Breaching Shot from Shotguns, it's a useful buff that could replace Anima Shot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Someone back me up on this. I feel only one of my demands is ridiculous.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Get three round burst and possibly suppressing fire then ignore the outer ring for a while. Don't spend too much on self-healing if you can just kill things faster instead.

Zephonith posted:

But it's such a nice tiara :allears:

If you buy one of those outfits account-wide, does it get unlocked for both female and male characters or do you have to buy the versions separately? Because now I want to make a Jaime Lannister Templar alt...
Gender-specific, sadly.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

Someone back me up on this. I feel only one of my demands is ridiculous.

You've really gotta start pacing yourself, man. Make the Murray last.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

You've really gotta start pacing yourself, man. Make the Murray last.

This is my testlive account it's not been banned or anything despite me actively telling them they're bad at things. Besides I have a spare waiting for if I get banned. But really. Would it not be a good idea to give all players access to 10.5's and a raid timer remover on testlive?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Only raging spergs need stuff like that.

:getin:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Rookersh posted:

Please tell me this goes insane places
The plot doesn't "go" anywhere, it's a Donnie Darko style mash of random poo poo happening with all of the information that would explain what's going on deliberately left out.

orcane posted:

Get three round burst and possibly suppressing fire then ignore the outer ring for a while. Don't spend too much on self-healing if you can just kill things faster instead.
To be clear, if you're ever dying too fast in this, take a defensive cooldown or stack more max HP gear. The only heals that are worth anything for soloing are the one in blood that scales off attack power and maybe Regeneration.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So, I just finished Dawning of an Endless night and

I was talking with friends while I did it so I was only half paying attention to the end. I chose to accept the gift since I didn't pay attention and saw that I could have rejected it, does this effect future story stuff or whatever? Even if it's just a superficial reference?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So, I just finished Dawning of an Endless night and

I was talking with friends while I did it so I was only half paying attention to the end. I chose to accept the gift since I didn't pay attention and saw that I could have rejected it, does this effect future story stuff or whatever? Even if it's just a superficial reference?

It does, sort of. At the end of every region's story you go to that same place and deal with a similar choice, and they are phrased differently depending on your choices previously. As I recall, they're also using it to design Tokyo; whether the majority of players accept or reject the gift will determine how hosed the place is.

finna udders
Jan 28, 2005

mu

guppy posted:

We're all talking about endgame optimization bullshit. Ignore us, pick two weapons that sound cool (two, not one), and go hit some monsters and solve some puzzles. Report back.

I did this and am loving this game. I got a cool Left 4 Dead start and then a bit of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and then it felt like running around the Rogue Isles for the first time again, uncovering the secret history of Cap au Diable and Sharkhead Isle and I think the mechanics and UI just clicked for me at last so maybe I won't die so much when I get swarmed.

Game owns though.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The only criticism about the game's awesome cast of voice actors is the lack of an obvious Nick Cage cameo. Or even just a clip from Wicker Man licensed in the opening. OH GOD NOT THE BEES AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH IT'S IN MY MOUTH

midoriyourself
May 30, 2013

Zephonith posted:

Because now I want to make a Jaime Lannister Templar alt...

Please do this, Zepho. Please please please. Pretty Pretty Prince Lannister needs to be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This game really is awesome. Yesterday I got to explore a secret underground tomb, battle through a mutant-infested wrecked ship, and went on a helicopter ride with a horsey-man, unicorn man and a stripper. Then we fought the eater of worlds.

Actual gameplay question: I got a phone call from some guy called the Pyramidion about a quest, which I declined, is there still a way to do it? The game somehow timed the call at the exact time that I was also getting a call from the nympho fortune teller for another quest.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 26, 2013

• Locked thread