Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
It seems to me that the classic "going infinite" as it applies to Magic can be a bit broader here. Someone already mentioned selling expensive booster pulls, which happens in magic as well. In Hex, there's PvE cards to sell and potential things to trade for platinum in keep defense and crafting.

Smartly playing all the games in Hex will let the savviest players draft indefinitely. (or do whatever for free indefinitely) Since they've got a Dr. Market on staff, it means they are fully accounting for all this. I'm glad to read that they are putting that much effort into the player economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, a draft is going to cost 3 packs and 1 Platinum, right? Obviously, we can get Platinum by buying it, but has there been any mention of other methods of obtaining it?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Possibly to be found in a loot chest from a pack? It's probably only going to be player bought, there hasn't been mention of any other way.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Some Numbers posted:

So, a draft is going to cost 3 packs and 1 Platinum, right? Obviously, we can get Platinum by buying it, but has there been any mention of other methods of obtaining it?

Buying it, tournament prizes, selling rare PVP or PVE stuff on the auction house, and keep defense (if you're willing to put in a platinum stake) are the ways we know about for sure. Treasure chests from boosters, especially primal boosters, are a possibility as well. I think they also said something about PvP raids at some point post-launch, with the player running the enemy side of the raid being able to charge gold or platinum, but that was a while ago.

e: Also yes, a draft is 3 boosters and $1 worth of platinum (although we don't know $1 = 1 platinum yet, it could be e.g. $1 = 100 platinum).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

$1 pretty much has to buy more than 1 platinum if they want selling cards for platinum to work properly. I'd expect $1=100p or $1=1000p. There needs to be granularity for cards that are worth $1.40, or for commons to be worth $0.05, etc. I don't think they'll go any higher than 1000 simply because that much granularity is probably too much.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Zurai posted:

$1 pretty much has to buy more than 1 platinum if they want selling cards for platinum to work properly. I'd expect $1=100p or $1=1000p. There needs to be granularity for cards that are worth $1.40, or for commons to be worth $0.05, etc. I don't think they'll go any higher than 1000 simply because that much granularity is probably too much.

They can easily allow fractional platinum in the transactions, it being an electronic currency.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

weird vanilla posted:

They can easily allow fractional platinum in the transactions, it being an electronic currency.
You say that, and yet MTGO has had that moronic non-fractional ticket system in place for ages.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

weird vanilla posted:

They could, but that's frankly more complicated than it needs to be. There's no functional difference between being able to charge 0.01 platinum at $1=1p and being able to charge 1 platinum at $1=100p, but the latter doesn't involve mental division or floating point numbers (they could get around floating point by storing the platinum in integers such that 1 platinum = 100 platinum sections, but then why not just go ahead and go all the way?).

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Spiderdrake posted:

You say that, and yet MTGO has had that moronic non-fractional ticket system in place for ages.

Wizards is not developing this project.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Zurai posted:

They could, but that's frankly more complicated than it needs to be. There's no functional difference between being able to charge 0.01 platinum at $1=1p and being able to charge 1 platinum at $1=100p, but the latter doesn't involve mental division or floating point numbers (they could get around floating point by storing the platinum in integers such that 1 platinum = 100 platinum sections, but then why not just go ahead and go all the way?).

Yes, the needless complexity of decimals will make selling a card for 4.99 difficult for the user base.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

weird vanilla posted:

Yes, the needless complexity of decimals will make selling a card for 4.99 difficult for the user base.

Why would you put a period in the middle of a number, when you could easily NOT put it in there instead.

$1 = 1000P is much cleaner than $1 = 1.000P

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Why would you put a period in the middle of a number, when you could easily NOT put it in there instead.

$1 = 1000P is much cleaner than $1 = 1.000P

You don't think the familiarity of 1.00 platinum = $1.00 is a compelling reason?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Aren't compelling reasons those things that actually sound or look good?

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Wizards is not developing this project.
You could almost argue they have that in common!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

weird vanilla posted:

You don't think the familiarity of 1.00 platinum = $1.00 is a compelling reason?

Absolutely not.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
This is honestly not even a thing. Most modern implementations of digital pseudo currency are atomic but Eve Online's had fractional units of currency for longer than Magic has even been A Thing on the internet and while it has had many problems none of them ever had anything to do with having decimals in the money.

Not to mention there's nothing contradictory here; you could have one USD equate to 100 platinum and still be able to use fractions of platinum in transactions.

It isn't really going to matter which implementation they use as long as it isn't MTGO's one dollar is one indivisible unit implementation.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

weird vanilla posted:

Not when no other video game currency I can think of, F2P or no, does the same. (And the direct analogy is only there for US users - 0.65 platinum = £1.00 is a lot less familiar.)

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah, because most f2p games are trying to play psychological tricks on you to make you think you are getting more than you are. Things in Hex have real value to them and will always be thought of in terms of real money. I think I would rather having the ingame currency equivalent to real currency.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Absolutely not.

I guess I just fundamentally disagree, the familiarity is a compelling reason.
The person above is correct though, this is a silly non-issue derail.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Niedar posted:

Yeah, because most f2p games are trying to play psychological tricks on you to make you think you are getting more than you are. Things in Hex have real value to them and will always be thought of in terms of real money. I think I would rather having the ingame currency equivalent to real currency.

Well now, and this is a legitimate question because I do not recall ever reading a specific one way or the other, have they confirmed that they will allow real-money trades of in-game goods?

My assumption always was that like basically everyone else they will ban it.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
They will be allowing it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

UberJew posted:

This is honestly not even a thing. Most modern implementations of digital pseudo currency are atomic but Eve Online's had fractional units of currency for longer than Magic has even been A Thing on the internet and while it has had many problems none of them ever had anything to do with having decimals in the money.

Not to mention there's nothing contradictory here; you could have one USD equate to 100 platinum and still be able to use fractions of platinum in transactions.

It isn't really going to matter which implementation they use as long as it isn't MTGO's one dollar is one indivisible unit implementation.

Magic online came out in 2002 EVE was 2003. 100p for $1 is also way more satisfying to most users. You're getting more stuff (even though you aren't).

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

UberJew posted:

Well now, and this is a legitimate question because I do not recall ever reading a specific one way or the other, have they confirmed that they will allow real-money trades of in-game goods?

I believe that they've stated that they want a real-money auction house, but last I'd heard they weren't sure if they could pull it off.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, even Blizzard had to jump through a lot of hoops to pull of a real money auction house. There are LOTS of legal hurdles to jump, especially for international games. I wouldn't expect it at launch, but if they do want one, I'm sure they'll be able to get it in sooner than later now that Blizzard blazed the trail.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

I believe that they've stated that they want a real-money auction house, but last I'd heard they weren't sure if they could pull it off.

I'm pretty sure that they've explicitly said they AREN'T doing RMAH

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Karnegal posted:

I'm pretty sure that they've explicitly said they AREN'T doing RMAH

I thought I heard this as well, and I'm pretty sure they cited the fact that it's a pain from a regulatory standpoint (and it's clear that RMAH didn't do Diablo III any favors in the long run).

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

UberJew posted:

Being able to hook up a bank account and buy cards with real money? I can't even speak to that as who knows where the wind blows, but anything like that opens a game up to many regulations, international difficulties regarding laws, a lot more account abuse/attacks, etc... HEX will not launch with RMAH. You will use the AH with Platinum and Gold. Platinum will not be 1:1 with USD for the granularity reasons outlined in posts made by others.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Blinkman987 posted:

Being able to hook up a bank account and buy cards with real money? I can't even speak to that as who knows where the wind blows, but anything like that opens a game up to many regulations, international difficulties regarding laws, a lot more account abuse/attacks, etc... HEX will not launch with RMAH. You will use the AH with Platinum and Gold. Platinum will not be 1:1 with USD for the granularity reasons outlined in posts made by others.

Others including myself :haw:

But yes, if there's no allowance for real-money trade then you can't really say that Hex cards have 'real value' unlike goods in other mmos.

I certainly wasn't planning on anything of the sort when I kickstarted it, I just hope nobody else was either.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

UberJew posted:

Others including myself :haw:

But yes, if there's no allowance for real-money trade then you can't really say that Hex cards have 'real value' unlike goods in other mmos.

I certainly wasn't planning on anything of the sort when I kickstarted it, I just hope nobody else was either.

That's kind of a weird way to put it, anytime you spend money on something it technically has value...especially when you are converting money to platinum or any kind of in game currency. If a card is worth 5 platinum then it's also worth the amount of dollars it takes to purchase that amount of platinum therefore it has real value.

Just like MTGO and just about every MMO, grey markets are going to exist.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

katkillad2 posted:

That's kind of a weird way to put it, anytime you spend money on something it technically has value...especially when you are converting money to platinum or any kind of in game currency. If a card is worth 5 platinum then it's also worth the amount of dollars it takes to purchase that amount of platinum therefore it has real value.

Just like MTGO and just about every MMO, grey markets are going to exist.

Yes, just like every other MMO. It has been described in this thread as different and more real value, which is a position I was trying to hash out the validity of.

MTGO's actually a good example of an exception since you can 'cash out' the electronic cards for sets of physical cards in a very limited but non-zero way.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A bit late but...

A hundred new posts on the Hex thread? New information ahoy!

Oh, wait, it's steak chat. Figures. Ugh, these goddamn fat goons and their...

"Well done steak with ketchup on top"? WHAT IN THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU, you uncivilized fucks :argh:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Between hex: steaks of fate and 'muh e-currency verisimilitude' there hasn't really been much else to talk about. I really want to know more about guilds, keeps and pve difficulty. It just isn't out there yet.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Blinkman987 posted:

The idea that the market will be flooded with set 1 boosters is also dependent on the percentage of the playerbase that are Kickstarter backers.
If the game is popular there will be more non-backers than backers. If the game is a semi-flop then it'll just be mostly backers and friends-of-backers.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I guess it depends if the beta stays backer-only for a significant length of time; if most of the people who would think about selling boosters on the AH are only going to have other backers to sell to then they will be plentiful and cheap

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wonder if there's any chance of this being on Steam? With Steam's trading cards, and integrated marketplace, this could be a marriage made in nerd heaven :awesome:

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
I wouldn't count on it, since CZE would probably rather not have Valve skim 30% off the top of everything they sell. Though I guess I don't know for sure how that would work with a microtransaction thing like the booster packs, rather than more traditional buy-once DLC.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Kairos posted:

I wouldn't count on it, since CZE would probably rather not have Valve skim 30% off the top of everything they sell. Though I guess I don't know for sure how that would work with a microtransaction thing like the booster packs, rather than more traditional buy-once DLC.

Plenty of games already do microtransactions on Steam. Don't see how it'd really be any different than TF2. I think RIFT also uses Steam now for it's in-game store.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Don Tacorleone posted:

Wonder if there's any chance of this being on Steam? With Steam's trading cards, and integrated marketplace, this could be a marriage made in nerd heaven :awesome:

They've said they're supporting the Steam API, so it's at least possible in principle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PrinnySquadron posted:

Plenty of games already do microtransactions on Steam. Don't see how it'd really be any different than TF2.

Valve own and control TF2. That's about as big a difference as it's possible to have.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Jedit posted:

Valve own and control TF2. That's about as big a difference as it's possible to have.

This difference is irrelevant. Non-Valve games are perfectly capable of using Steam for in-game microtransactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Snoggle posted:

This difference is irrelevant. Non-Valve games are perfectly capable of using Steam for in-game microtransactions.

His point is that Valve isn't losing a percentage to some other company by offering their own microtransactions. Any other company would have to take into account Valve's cut before offering such items through Steam.

• Locked thread