Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pham Nuwen posted:

People with vehicular hobbies: what have you done in the past when moving cross-country? Last time I moved, I had a car and an old motorcycle, which got strapped into the mover's truck. Next fall, I may be moving somewhere out of state when my girlfriend starts grad school. At that time I'll most likely have my car and two bikes, and she'll have her car. I'd also like to get an old beater car (looked at a 69 Plymouth yesterday) to gently caress around with, but goddamn I'm imagining a hellish move with 3 cars and 2 bikes.

Con your friends into having the raddest road trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Pham Nuwen posted:

People with vehicular hobbies: what have you done in the past when moving cross-country? Last time I moved, I had a car and an old motorcycle, which got strapped into the mover's truck. Next fall, I may be moving somewhere out of state when my girlfriend starts grad school. At that time I'll most likely have my car and two bikes, and she'll have her car. I'd also like to get an old beater car (looked at a 69 Plymouth yesterday) to gently caress around with, but goddamn I'm imagining a hellish move with 3 cars and 2 bikes.

I had a 32' Uhaul with a car trailer towing my blown Trans-AM and my wife drove my race prepped Mini Cooper. It was a brutal trip.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

If I was riding through Texas / Nevada in June I wouldn't be wearing what that guy is wearing. I hope in addition to gas he's carting around some Gatorade or something.

Reposting this article might be informative http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

I think the evaporation / convection argument has been done to death here, but I'd still wear something lighter colored than a black jacket

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't think color makes that much of a difference; radiation is a much smaller piece of the equation than convection. Might feel different sitting in traffic with the sun out, but at 70mph in 100 degree heat the wind feels so much like a furnace I forget about the sun... except to make sure I'm lubed up with SPF-55.

We brought water in the pannier, but lesson learned about hydration: bring a collapsible cooler and ice it up to keep the extra water cool. 100 miles through 100 degree heat brings a cold bottle of water up to undrinkably hot.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Xovaan posted:

For their training course they're not allowed to use brakes to build proper judgment of speed for planning purposes on entry and exits of maneuvers. It was extremely impressive watching him rely on engine braking alone while not stalling the bike nor experiencing any wobble in inched increments in between crazy swoops. I am serious when I say I've never seen anything like it before. It was absolutely mesmerizing.

After 3 years?! I'm 10 months in and today I forgot that it has to be in neutral to let off the clutch at idle :eng101: Given other folk have been posting about their experiences, where does one go to learn that sort of stuff, is there a book on it, or is it just a case of experience and normal advanced riding schools?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Wootcannon posted:

After 3 years?! I'm 10 months in and today I forgot that it has to be in neutral to let off the clutch at idle :eng101: Given other folk have been posting about their experiences, where does one go to learn that sort of stuff, is there a book on it, or is it just a case of experience and normal advanced riding schools?

I wonder if we need a stickied thread with learning resources stuff like MSF links, Twist Of The Wrist, etc

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Having a sticky with educational stuff is probably not a bad idea.

Lee Parks has classes that kinda touches up on stuff (I'm taking one in 2 weeks) but aside from some local PD's that may have a civilian training course (Alameda County I think used to have one) I honestly don't know if there are anything else in the US.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wootcannon posted:

there's no substitute for experience. He may have learned how to ride like that in training, but he uses those skills every single day at work on the bike. Riding and commuting in a busy city is a good way to learn low speed bike control, and the kind of people who do gymkhana for a hobby practice, practice, practice.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Bike died on the way into work this morning. 2 weeks before the shop can get to it. Fuel system. Sounds like the dude before me didn't jet the carbs right.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What bike? You can probably tackle it yourself.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Z3n posted:

Con your friends into having the raddest road trip.

This is the correct answer.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Bruiser posted:

Bike died on the way into work this morning. 2 weeks before the shop can get to it. Fuel system. Sounds like the dude before me didn't jet the carbs right.

Carb problems are not to hard to work out without a shop. What kind of bike and/or carbs?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Snowdens Secret posted:

I was reading some of the Lee Parks stuff where it talks about falling into turns, and specifically about determining the degree of lean to make the turn, and falling right to it, instead of gradually tilting in. It's specifically emphasized at letting you take a much later apex, and letting you straighten out and get back on the throttle faster. If you look at the policebike gymkhana stuff, that seems to be what they seem to be doing, only with speed and distance at the smallest viable scale.

I've gotten better at that at speed on twisty roads (though I don't always accomplish it smoothly), but I still suck at slow-speed maneuvers, having to put my feet down for full lock turns. :smith:

quote:

I wonder if we need a stickied thread with learning resources stuff like MSF links, Twist Of The Wrist, etc

I second that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

I've gotten better at that at speed on twisty roads (though I don't always accomplish it smoothly), but I still suck at slow-speed maneuvers, having to put my feet down for full lock turns. :smith:

Every time I put my feet down for a slow maneuver, a little rider training instructor pops up on my shoulder and tuts "poor form". I usually tell him to get stuffed. Slow speed is all about clutch control. Instead of using the throttle to adjust your speed, you use the clutch. You need to learn where the bite area is, and how to modulate within that area, but it's not much different than learning how to hold a car on the clutch on a hill without rolling back.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Linedance posted:

Every time I put my feet down for a slow maneuver, a little rider training instructor pops up on my shoulder and tuts "poor form". I usually tell him to get stuffed. Slow speed is all about clutch control. Instead of using the throttle to adjust your speed, you use the clutch. You need to learn where the bite area is, and how to modulate within that area, but it's not much different than learning how to hold a car on the clutch on a hill without rolling back.

Do you do anything with balance? I try to keep my torso upright, as opposed to leaning with the bike on a "at-speed" curve. Is this right or wrong?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

MoraleHazard posted:

I second that.

I third it. Smooth Riding with Reg Pridmoore is my go-to book on keeping myself safe on the street. :buddy:

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine

Tamir Lenk posted:

Carb problems are not to hard to work out without a shop. What kind of bike and/or carbs?

It's a Yamaha V-Star 1100 classic; so pretty easy to work on normally. The only issue is that I got it used a few months ago, and I wanted them to look at everything anyway to make sure there's not something else that's going to bite me in the rear end.

Also, the previous owner installed a kuryakyn hypercharger and jet kit, and I don't have any experience with that. If I had a garage, I might be up for it, but I live in an apartment.

I know I should be turning my own wrench, but I'm afraid I might miss something this time. I'd rather get a clean bill of health before I tackle something like that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MoraleHazard posted:

Do you do anything with balance? I try to keep my torso upright, as opposed to leaning with the bike on a "at-speed" curve. Is this right or wrong?

Low speed, counterbalancing is the way to go, push the bike under you. At speed, that sort of movement requires far too much lean angle.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Well I took your guys advice and sighed up for a MSF course at a local Harley Davidson dealership.
275$ for a 3day course come with a 90 day waiver, so I am pretty stoked.
And before anyone asks there is no way I am buying a Harley for my first bike, I am however looking at a ninja500 street fighter in the near future:hfive:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I hate to ask at this point, but what state are you in? In PA the MSF is free if you have a learner's permit.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Wokrider posted:

Well I took your guys advice and sighed up for a MSF course at a local Harley Davidson dealership.
275$ for a 3day course come with a 90 day waiver, so I am pretty stoked.
And before anyone asks there is no way I am buying a Harley for my first bike, I am however looking at a ninja500 street fighter in the near future:hfive:

I've taken the Riders Edge course twice in my life. Once several years ago, and then again after I moved to another state and didn't notice they didn't transfer my M endorsement to my new license. :doh:

I went back to it, rather than a generic MSF class, because I was impressed with the quality the first time around. Typically the instructors are Harley guys, so they may not devote much effort into convincing you to ATGATT, but if you're reading CA you probably don't need to hear all that anyway. Both times though they've been super friendly and otherwise knowledgeable, and the facilities were state of the art, the materials were well-produced, and the bikes (Buell Blasts) were in decent shape. The class sizes were small, like 10-12 people, so I liked the personalized attention.

In my classes, probably 70% planned to get a Harley, with the remainder being into sport bikes or standards, so there was some diversity.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Bruiser posted:

It's a Yamaha V-Star 1100 classic; so pretty easy to work on normally. The only issue is that I got it used a few months ago, and I wanted them to look at everything anyway to make sure there's not something else that's going to bite me in the rear end.

Also, the previous owner installed a kuryakyn hypercharger and jet kit, and I don't have any experience with that. If I had a garage, I might be up for it, but I live in an apartment.

I know I should be turning my own wrench, but I'm afraid I might miss something this time. I'd rather get a clean bill of health before I tackle something like that.

Where do you live? There might be goons in the area who will look at it and show you how to work on it in the future.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

I hate to ask at this point, but what state are you in? In PA the MSF is free if you have a learner's permit.

Lagrange G.A., I looked up classes in the area and the Harley dealership is the only one close to me.
Every place I checked in GA required a fee.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

You know the one thing that's not cool about California? Probably because of the lack of winter, the road crews don't know poo poo about how to repave/patch/do anything to a road. I just rode across the worst ground-off road in the history of anything ever. And don't get me started on the 880. :argh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You've never been to Montana then. I hit a "highway" that was literally, the asphalt and base ripped off so it was a dirt trail. For 100 miles. After a rainstorm.
gently caress. That.

I will never bitch about Canadian highways again after that horseshit.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Oh, please, you Americans have it easy when it comes to road quality.

Welcome to Australia, where you can literally do jumps off the put holes and bumps on the highway! Woo!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shimrod posted:

Welcome to Australia, where you can literally do jumps off the put holes and bumps on the highway! Woo!

Sounds like somebody's never been to Montreal.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
LA roads are feast and famine. You're either riding on glass or standing up on both pegs and praying the laws of gyroscopic motion keep you upright as you zoom over the crevasse created by the meteor that killed the dinosaurs.

It's the penalty you pay for 355 sunny days a year.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Angryboot posted:

Having a sticky with educational stuff is probably not a bad idea.

Lee Parks has classes that kinda touches up on stuff (I'm taking one in 2 weeks) but aside from some local PD's that may have a civilian training course (Alameda County I think used to have one) I honestly don't know if there are anything else in the US.

There's a place near Seattle that claims to teach the first week of the King County Sheriff's motorcycle training course. 40 hours on a KZ1000P. When I get a big bike it's the first place I want to go.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, 4 days at 1100 bucks per person with their bikes, that's not bad. Finding the time to go outta town for 4 days though, that's the hard part :(

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Shimrod posted:

I just got back from a trip to India; I will never again complain about the roads in a first world country. Saw a Land Cruiser high-centered in a pothole; Innova wagon with front suspension shattered by a random speedbump on the "highway", trucks with "Horn Please" on the back (telling you to honk because they sure as gently caress don't know what their mirrors are for), etc etc. At least this trip didn't involve seeing 10+ road fatalities on the drive to the jobsite.

Did rent a pretty cool bike there, Royal Enfield Bullet 350; $10/day including a couple liters of fuel.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Learned to ride in Uganda, it was much the same.

Folks in developed nations don't know poo poo about "bad roads".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Learned to ride in Uganda, it was much the same.

Folks in developed nations don't know poo poo about "bad roads".

Sounds like somebody's never been to Montreal. ;)

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've told myself if I ever burn out of my profession, I'll move to Montreal, open a car suspension shop, and never, ever go hungry.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Roads?!?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

There's a place near Seattle that claims to teach the first week of the King County Sheriff's motorcycle training course. 40 hours on a KZ1000P. When I get a big bike it's the first place I want to go.

This kind of thing really interests me.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I'd love to do something like this. In fact, if there aren't any equivalent programs in my neck of the woods (Toronto), I'd go so far as to say that would be an amazing trip to take. Visit my west coast people, and ride big police bikes, sounds perfect.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Looking forward to hearing how you like the new disc, I picked one up the other week during my stay in the states as it's so cheap, but my original disc's still got some life left in it. Got the EBR mounting bolts too.

Looked into the EBR mounting kit vs. the OEM kit. The EBR setup doesn't have the coil springs - instead it has "spring washers". Supposed to limit the amount of float allowed for the rotor. Ordered Erik's kit. I get the feeling this new disc is going to last half as long as the old one did but whatever, it looks excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I tried that new Gold Bond spray that Charles Barkley has been slingin' on the TV.

It's awesome. Give it a try next time you need to manage your butt sweat on the motorcycle.

And why the hell do people post power wheelchairs in the motorcycle and bicycle sections of craigslist. Is that common everywhere?

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 27, 2013