Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

James The 1st posted:

It's impossible to get the Aztecs without the DLC I thought?

Should be. Running any mods that might have been dumb and copied the Aztec events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

James The 1st posted:

It's impossible to get the Aztecs without the DLC I thought?

:downs: Old Gods is the new one that I skipped, not Sunset Invasion. I'm still annoyed at them taking over my poo poo though :black101:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Ha, oh well :ms:

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

uPen posted:

No but it is archived here.

Words can not describe how brutally awful this makes the game sound/look by the time you're 30min in.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Yeah uh maybe they should have rehearsed this before hand. Sounds like they crapped out their speech a minute before the stream and are flying by the seats of their pants.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Yep it's just a military sim. That's a shame.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
But what about their "We Are The World" campaign? It sounds truly revolutionary.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

A really bad military sim at that... their apparent wanton hatred of history is also pretty disgusting. How about we don't shove random people from the forums into the game as ministers? How about you guys actually do some research into the politics of various countries?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gorgo Primus posted:

A really bad military sim at that... their apparent wanton hatred of history is also pretty disgusting. How about we don't shove random people from the forums into the game as ministers? How about you guys actually do some research into the politics of various countries?

This is pretty painful to watch. Whoever is narrating this is trying way, way too hard to sound like an American version of TotalBiscuit and, unsurprisingly just like the original, it's completely off-putting.

"The Cold War was the greatest social experiment of all time."

What.

"No major wars were fought."

Huh.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Will we ever get a great Grand Strategy cold war game? :smith:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Who the hell allegedly keeps asking all the model questions? Shouldn't the main point of a Cold War game be diplomacy? Why is so much attention given to individual blueprints of ships?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Drone posted:

This is pretty painful to watch. Whoever is narrating this is trying way, way too hard to sound like an American version of TotalBiscuit and, unsurprisingly just like the original, it's completely off-putting.

"The Cold War was the greatest social experiment of all time."

What.

"No major wars were fought."

Huh.

*Shows off all the bookmarks being the beginnings of wars*

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 25, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

Why is so much attention given to individual blueprints of ships?
That is seriously baffling. I cannot imagine caring about the exact number of heavy guns or whatever on a battleship. Particularly in a game about the cold war.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Wait did I read that wrong, did the US petition NATO to embargo the PRC, only to abstain on its own embargo proposal?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Does PDS actually have in-house historians, like people who actually... I dunno, have degrees in this poo poo?

Because it seems pretty clear that the EvW team doesn't (I know, EvW isn't PDS).

Edit: or, for that matter, PR people whose job it is to go before the camera during events like this and present Paradox professionally, and not by a stammering nerd who is clearly terrified of having an audience?

Oh God, I'm at the part where they're talking about using forum members as political leaders.

Drone fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 25, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Drone posted:

Edit: or, for that matter, PR people whose job it is to go before the camera during events like this and present Paradox professionally, and not by a stammering nerd who is clearly terrified of having an audience?
See, I don't mind that so much. That's an artifact of being a small studio, composed of the people who actually make the product.

But the product itself should be decent.

edit: "For those who don't know what NATO and the Warsaw Pact are..."

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 25, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Strudel Man posted:

That is seriously baffling. I cannot imagine caring about the exact number of heavy guns or whatever on a battleship. Particularly in a game about the cold war.

Well, I admittedly care when I play Leviathan Warships but yes, even the most spergy of my tendencies have to be overridden by the fact that this is supposed to be a game about global geopolitics and potentially global-scale wars.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So their justification for this whole "We Are The World" silliness is that it'd be too difficult to find alternate ministers for single-party nations. I have a hard time believing that considering every other Hearts of Iron game has done it fairly believably, but whatever, I'll give them a small pass.

But then dude says to submit your grandfather for a communist leader of France, a country with a classically very strong communist party, especially during the Cold War. They couldn't find any one of the hundreds of actual, flesh-and-blood French communist leaders for that?

No, of course not, that would disrupt the gimmick to try to ingratiate themselves to the forums.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drone posted:

Does PDS actually have in-house historians, like people who actually... I dunno, have degrees in this poo poo?

Because it seems pretty clear that the EvW team doesn't (I know, EvW isn't PDS).

Oh God, I'm at the part where they're talking about using forum members as political leaders.

PDS has stammering nerds. Except they're making good games, so much is forgiven.

The game's industry in general is really bad at hitting the balance between PR people spewing meaningless platitudes and Developers who know what they're talking about but are bad at expressing themselves to an audience.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
"Yeah, I made a horrible mistake here, and somehow the Palestinians have invaded Jerusalem."

Not actually a strike against the game, in any realistic sense. But still funny.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Drone posted:

So their justification for this whole "We Are The World" silliness is that it'd be too difficult to find alternate ministers for single-party nations. I have a hard time believing that considering every other Hearts of Iron game has done it fairly believably, but whatever, I'll give them a small pass.

But then dude says to submit your grandfather for a communist leader of France, a country with a classically very strong communist party, especially during the Cold War. They couldn't find any one of the hundreds of actual, flesh-and-blood French communist leaders for that?

No, of course not, that would disrupt the gimmick to try to ingratiate themselves to the forums.

You think that's bad? "If you're 12 you can be the next Dalai Lama!"

Strudel Man posted:

"Yeah, I made a horrible mistake here, and somehow the Palestinians have invaded Jerusalem."

Not actually a strike against the game, in any realistic sense. But still funny.

I'd consider their handling of Israel and the '48 war as a strike against the game. Did you see those social/cultural/political policies? And why does this region in which an actual war was fought have so few provinces? And why does Israel have full practical and political control over every region alloted them in the UN partition at start?

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 25, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Alchenar posted:

The game's industry in general is really bad at hitting the balance between PR people spewing meaningless platitudes and Developers who know what they're talking about but are bad at expressing themselves to an audience.

I don't think it'd be that difficult to find someone who strikes the right balance between actual, real enthusiasm for a game (and the social skills necessary to convey and instill that enthusiasm in the market) and a developer who knows the technical details of the game they're working on.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Sounds like a good time for Paradox to use that mythical "quality control" thing that they've been throwing around lately. I mean there's got to be a point where they stop and say...the gently caress are you guys doing with our name and engine? Getting people to do games like this is great...but ultimately the company needs to keep an eye out for stupid poo poo like this and tell them when they've gone too far.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Drone posted:

I don't think it'd be that difficult to find someone who strikes the right balance between actual, real enthusiasm for a game (and the social skills necessary to convey and instill that enthusiasm in the market) and a developer who knows the technical details of the game they're working on.
To find someone who strikes that balance within the small group of people who are in actual fact working on the game? Why would that be less than difficult?

Now, they could plan and practice these things out a lot better, I'm sure, but it's not like it's an easy thing to come across well when plopped down in front of a camera. It's a skill, and it's not the skill that these guys normally rely on.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
I was pretty excited over the game seeing as how I'm one of the few people to enjoy HOI3, then I saw this and well...

I mean I'm still hopeful they can fix it but it's not looking good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

They're talking about a population tracker that shows you how many children your country is producing on an average year.

Sure, I'm sure on some level that's interesting I suppose, but... feature bloat?

Strudel Man posted:

To find someone who strikes that balance within the small group of people who are in actual fact working on the game? Why would that be less than difficult?

By hiring a PR person who isn't just a stooge who spouts buzzwords? Or an actual dev who just so happens to have a few points dumped into their Charisma stat for a change? :confused:

In PDS's defense, they do have people for this, or at least have in the past. As annoying as that top-hat wearing Goony Goon was during the Heart of Darkness streams a few months ago, at least he was genuine.

Trujillo posted:

We had no problem finding political leaders for obscure movements in countries that didn't exist for kaiserreich and it takes place 30 years before EvW. I haven't watched their stream but if they're saying they have to make up people they're either really dumb or really lazy, or both.

It's probably equal parts laziness and shameless cash-in for fans on the Paradox Forums.

Drone fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 25, 2013

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
We had no problem finding real life political leaders for obscure movements in countries that didn't exist for kaiserreich and it takes place 30 years before EvW. I haven't watched their stream but if they're saying they have to make up people they're either really dumb or really lazy, or both.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I suppose I'll be LPing East vs West at some point.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

If the game had been kickstarted or something then I'd say one of the rewards being the possibility of getting a person of your choosing in the game wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as it was properly overseen and stuff, but this just seems bizarre.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Patter Song posted:

A striking condemnation of a game if ever I heard one.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Drone posted:

By hiring a PR person who isn't just a stooge who spouts buzzwords? Or an actual dev who just so happens to have a few points dumped into their Charisma stat for a change? :confused:
If you hire a PR person for a presentation, a stooge is exactly what they're going to be. If they're really good at their job, they might not come across as a stooge, but they're not someone who's actually familiar with the game or, most likely, who has any genuine enthusiasm for it.

And your other suggestion isn't exactly a course of action they can undertake. Yeah, it'd be great if they happen to have a charismatic developer onstaff, but most developers don't qualify as such, and it's hardly surprising if a small team doesn't happen to have one.

It always strikes me as a trifle weird for individuals to demand that companies advertise to them better, since it basically amounts to "lie to me more." Hearing from developers directly often isn't pretty, but usually it gives you a better idea of the truth of the situation than a slickly-produced PR campaign.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 25, 2013

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
"Mr. President, XxXFluttershy12xXx of the Serbian Radical Party has been elected head of Yugoslavia in a landslide vote!"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Peruser posted:

"Mr. President, XxXFluttershy12xXx of the Serbian Radical Party has been elected head of Yugoslavia in a landslide vote!"

On the flip side, we can definitely petition to install Ubik as dictator of Portugal.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
They have quite a bit of time to add polish though. Hopefully they can fix it up a bit.

I hope.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

If you hire a PR person for a presentation, a stooge is exactly what they're going to be. If they're really good at their job, they might not come across as a stooge, but they're not someone who's actually familiar with the game or, most likely, who has any genuine enthusiasm for it.

And your other suggestion isn't exactly a course of action they can undertake. Yeah, it'd be great if they happen to have a charismatic developer onstaff, but most developers don't qualify as such, and it's hardly surprising if a small team doesn't happen to have one.

It always strikes me as a trifle weird for individuals to demand that companies advertise to them better, since it basically amounts to "lie to me more." Hearing from developers directly often isn't pretty, but usually it gives you a better idea of the truth of the situation than a slickly-produced PR campaign.

This isn't a Paradox problem, this is an industry wide problem. When a developer shows up who's genuinely eloquent and a good presenter and understands why people should care about their game then it's so rare that they instantly become a 'known' name, like Jake Solomon.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I didn't watch the stream because of the awkwardness, but maybe they were just using forum members names as a shout out to people on the twitch, and when its released it'll have actual politicians/portraits.

or I'm wrong and this game will be terrible.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

No, no, no. This wasn't them showing people from the forums, this was them promising to put people from the forums in.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Patter Song posted:

This just made me enthusiastic about EvW, in a weird way. If it's gonna be bad, I hope they make it flamboyantly bad.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I don't think any amount of polish will save EvW, the problem seems fundamental. Now, I'm not a game developer so maybe I'm talking out of my rear end here, but Hearts of Iron just seems like the wrong choice for a Cold War game to be based of off, it's too combat focused. I think Victoria 2 or CK2 would have been much better choices, although my real wish is to have a fully-featured PDS game set in that time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

How would CK2 be a better choice? Very very few of these states are feudal... I'd rather they just make a new system for it that's actually designed around modeling the Cold War.

• Locked thread