Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I recently came across a recipe for roast chicken, that started with putting the whole bird in some kind of salt soup* for a couple of hours.

Thing is, I'd like to do some crock-pot chicken next. Will the crock-pot chicken benefit from the salt soup, or is this just something for roasting?

* there's probably a special english word for it, but I do not know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

midnightclimax posted:

I recently came across a recipe for roast chicken, that started with putting the whole bird in some kind of salt soup* for a couple of hours.

Thing is, I'd like to do some crock-pot chicken next. Will the crock-pot chicken benefit from the salt soup, or is this just something for roasting?

Hahah, the word you are looking for is "brine" but I will now forever call it "salt soup".

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That's a good question about it being useful in a slow cooker recipe, though. The point of the brine is to make the chicken moist which protects it a little from overcooking in a dry environment like a stove. But since you'd use liquid in the slow cooker, I don't think the brine would do much. But I could be wrong, and there's definitely no harm in it.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Hawkgirl posted:

That's a good question about it being useful in a slow cooker recipe, though. The point of the brine is to make the chicken moist which protects it a little from overcooking in a dry environment like a stove. But since you'd use liquid in the slow cooker, I don't think the brine would do much. But I could be wrong, and there's definitely no harm in it.

Yeah, the guy who wrote the article mentioned something about brine (I even knew that word, drat!) changing the protein structure of the meat. He said he didn't know the full science behind it, that's what got me curious.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So I just got this set of salts for my birthday:

And, to be honest, I'm not really sure what to do with all of them. I generally have just used kosher salt 99% of the time in the past. Most of the salts in this set seem rather coarse grained, so i'd imagine I'd want to use them as finishing salts, but I'm not really sure what kind of things I should be making that will really show off whatever nuances there are to each (other than something like steak frites maybe). Any suggestions?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

midnightclimax posted:

Please don't make a crock pot chicken. If you MUST make crock pot chicken, at least only use dark meat (thighs and legs). The white meat will become mush otherwise.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Will it kill me? Whole chicken, three days past expiration date. I don't think I'll eat it, but stock maybe? I hate to throw poo poo away.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In my experience you will know when meat is bad. If you have to question it after opening the package it's probably fine. But it's just a chicken, I hate wasting food too but at least it's nothing special. If it's iffy I wouldn't.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ron Jeremy posted:

Will it kill me? Whole chicken, three days past expiration date. I don't think I'll eat it, but stock maybe? I hate to throw poo poo away.

More info is required, like where it has been stored and such.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

Expirations are generally pretty conservative. If it smells fine and doesn't look weird, you can (and probably should) eat it. If you're worried, make chicken soup and boil the crap out of it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Is it under plastic? If so you might be as well to rinse it and then smell it -I've noticed that chicken can start to smell a little odd even when it's well within the dates if it has been kept sealed under plastic-wrap.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Doh004 posted:

Please don't make a crock pot chicken. If you MUST make crock pot chicken, at least only use dark meat (thighs and legs). The white meat will become mush otherwise.

Aha. Really, that bad? Hmm ok then, I'll make something else in my crockpot. Had liver with chickpeas and vegetable stock last weekend, one of the best soups ever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ripe local apriums are better than sex. drat.

(SF Bay Area people: apriums are in season, and the season lasts about a blink of an eye, a week at most. Buy yours now.)

e: Re fancy salts, the French Laundry serves bread with unsalted butter accompanied by small dishes of different salts. That's a fun way to taste the difference (if any). The slower-melting salts (Maldon, probably some of the coarse ones) are good sprinkled lightly over a salad right after you toss it. Any salts that are pre-flavored with herbs can be thrown out used as dry rubs on any roast; dry rubs are especially good on pork. Rub into the outside of roast, let roast sit a few hours, put into oven. Mmm.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 25, 2013

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

More info is required, like where it has been stored and such.

Sealed in plastic in the fridge. Bought it on Thursday. Expired Friday.

I rinsed it and it smelled OK. Roasted the bird but didnt tastenit. I pulled the meat and put the bones in the crock pot for stock, and now the stock smells a little off. I think I'm going to chuck it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ron Jeremy posted:

Sealed in plastic in the fridge. Bought it on Thursday. Expired Friday.

I rinsed it and it smelled OK. Roasted the bird but didnt tastenit. I pulled the meat and put the bones in the crock pot for stock, and now the stock smells a little off. I think I'm going to chuck it.

If the stock for sure smells off then toss the whole thing.

Generally if you've already cooked it and it did not stink enough before cooking to be noticeable then it's probably going to be fine. If something smells bad before and /or after cooking though, that's no good.

Edit: This has inspired me to finally make an effortpost thread about food spoilage, decontamination, food poisoning and maybe a few fun bits about food microbiology in general that might not get covered in the other brewing and or fermentation threads. Would you guys be interested in something like that?

That Works fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 25, 2013

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

rj54x posted:

So I just got this set of salts for my birthday:

And, to be honest, I'm not really sure what to do with all of them. I generally have just used kosher salt 99% of the time in the past. Most of the salts in this set seem rather coarse grained, so i'd imagine I'd want to use them as finishing salts, but I'm not really sure what kind of things I should be making that will really show off whatever nuances there are to each (other than something like steak frites maybe). Any suggestions?
e: Re fancy salts, the French Laundry serves bread with unsalted butter accompanied by small dishes of different salts. That's a fun way to taste the difference (if any). The slower-melting salts (Maldon, probably some of the coarse ones) are good sprinkled lightly over a salad right after you toss it. Any salts that are pre-flavored with herbs can be thrown out used as dry rubs on any roast; dry rubs are especially good on pork. Rub into the outside of roast, let roast sit a few hours, put into oven. Mmm.

What he said but, in addition to salad, just thinly-sliced radishes are awesome, raw, with a pinch of various salts. Even though they have a big flavor, it's a somehow very neutral flavor to me that is complemented by different salts.

People seem to be really horny about salted sweets lately. Caramel and chocolate might both work really well with a particular salt.

Coarse salt is also nice on roasted veggies like brussel sprouts or root vegetables. A very little of the coarseness still remains, or maybe it's just the sporadic nature of the crystal placement, but it just works better than fine salt.

Roasted nuts or seeds would also be a good slate.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Re: salt; Ruhlman's Twenty has a technique for eating zucchini raw that just involves julienning or mandolining, and then salting the zucchini down and letting it sit for 15 minutes or so. Doing that makes it flexible and amazing and delicious after you give it a bit of a rinse; maybe that's a way to use a fancy or herbed salts?

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
So I made dinner today and made pitas for the first time. I looked at a few recipes and saw that it wasn't anything scary (and I bake a lot of bread) so I winged it. However, I read a tip that if you barely wet the top side, it'd fluff up more, so I did that. I also flipped them for a few seconds each in the oven to crisp up so they look and taste sexy. They came out delicious and like I expected, but I was having trouble getting a decent, straight cut in the middle to make a pocket. There was always an inch on one edge that didn't want to cut open right, either too thin or it didn't fluff and separate.

Should I wet the other side when I flip it? Was it user error in rolling it out too thin in a part?

Here's a crappy phone shot of the pitas with hummus I made, tomato, onion, jalapeno, olives, and feta.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have about a 4 pounds of broccoli that I have no idea what to do with, need to use it before it gets too old, any ideas?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

bowmore posted:

I have about a 4 pounds of broccoli that I have no idea what to do with, need to use it before it gets too old, any ideas?
Just roast it with olive oil, salt, and garlic forever... it'll cook down and you'll eat it ALL

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR44a_5v_A

Make this. But I like a handful of parm or some triple cream more than goat cheese in mine. I think the goat cheese is too assertive for this kind of soup.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR44a_5v_A

Make this. But I like a handful of parm or some triple cream more than goat cheese in mine. I think the goat cheese is too assertive for this kind of soup.
Do this with half of it, and put your awesome brown crusty roasted caramelized broccoli on top of it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I did that one already, and it tasted disgusting.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How about a broccoli slaw of some sort? Maybe you could pickle some too, but I don't know how well broccoli holds up to pickling. Broccoli tempura might be good, but you could only eat so much before feeling fat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bowmore posted:

I did that one already, and it tasted disgusting.

You did it wrong.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

So I made dinner today and made pitas for the first time. I looked at a few recipes and saw that it wasn't anything scary (and I bake a lot of bread) so I winged it. However, I read a tip that if you barely wet the top side, it'd fluff up more, so I did that. I also flipped them for a few seconds each in the oven to crisp up so they look and taste sexy. They came out delicious and like I expected, but I was having trouble getting a decent, straight cut in the middle to make a pocket. There was always an inch on one edge that didn't want to cut open right, either too thin or it didn't fluff and separate.

Should I wet the other side when I flip it? Was it user error in rolling it out too thin in a part?

Here's a crappy phone shot of the pitas with hummus I made, tomato, onion, jalapeno, olives, and feta.

I just made a bunch of hummus from chickpea flour that turned out well and was thinking I should make some pita to go with it. I don't bake a ton, do you (or anyone else that would like to chime in) have any advice to making pita?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gotta say - the Tovolo ice sphere molds have been outstanding. Drinking whiskey is now something I want to do nightly.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

Gotta say - the Tovolo ice sphere molds have been outstanding. Drinking whiskey is now something I want to do nightly.

Why does having awesome ice spheres make you want to cut back on your drinking?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been having a craving for some fried chicken, thing is I can't afford to go out and have someone make it for me. So I decided I should try making some myself, looking and stuff online though I don't think I can do it. Every place says to use a non stick pan and I've got none of those, also they call for a large amount of oil and well.. I don't got too much oil, and if I did I would of just used my deep fryer instead. So would it be possible to do the following:

Mix up some flour with pepper and chili powder, then chop up saltines mixed with some chili powder and pepper and put these in two separate bowls. Then in another bowl crack some eggs into it, coat the chicken breast in the flour, then dip it into the eggs then into the saltine mixture then add some oil to a skillet and just cook it like that?

Again, I don't have cash and I'm just using what I got at the moment which isn't much.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Leal posted:

I've been having a craving for some fried chicken, thing is I can't afford to go out and have someone make it for me. So I decided I should try making some myself, looking and stuff online though I don't think I can do it. Every place says to use a non stick pan and I've got none of those, also they call for a large amount of oil and well.. I don't got too much oil, and if I did I would of just used my deep fryer instead. So would it be possible to do the following:

Mix up some flour with pepper and chili powder, then chop up saltines mixed with some chili powder and pepper and put these in two separate bowls. Then in another bowl crack some eggs into it, coat the chicken breast in the flour, then dip it into the eggs then into the saltine mixture then add some oil to a skillet and just cook it like that?

Again, I don't have cash and I'm just using what I got at the moment which isn't much.

If you don't include the saltines, then you have something I've done for years.

You don't need a lot of oil if you're just pan frying. I tend to use a little bit more than it takes to cover the bottom of the pan. Brown some chopped garlic and/or onions in the oil before you start frying the chicken to give the oil a little more flavor. If you don't have those, you can add some garlic powder or onion powder to your flour.

fake edit: [I may have gone overboard after this part.]

A lot of your breading is going to stick to the bottom of the pan, but that's OK. Once you're done, you can always pour off some of the excess oil and use what's left in the pan to make a gravy. If you happen to have heavy cream, basil, and some lemon juice, you can make a pretty kick-rear end cream sauce.

If you need to feed more than just yourself, you can boil up some pasta and broccoli. Chicken, rigatoni, and broccoli with cream sauce is delicious and cheap. The leftovers are great, too.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Leal posted:

Forgive my preaching on this topic, but you can save a good deal of cash buying chicken thighs and legs. In my opinion and that of many others, those less expensive pieces are actually where all the good chickeny flavor is at. Buying those is a good way to get more flavor for your buck (buck buck ahahahah).

But to make it work with a little bit of oil, drain it into a smaller pan. You really want cast iron, but any pan will do in a pinch. The idea is that you want to get the oil deep enough to cover and nice and hot so it doesn't soak the breading. If you only have X oil, that means you need to reduce the surface area of your pan and do smaller batches. There's different kinds of breading, and you have to experiment with what you like. Lots of black pepper, some salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic, etc etc etc. Experiment with what you have on hand in herbs and spices that is spicy or savory.

As for the process I suggest, cut up your chicken breast into little chunks (since you don't have much space) and bread them individually as nuggets. For the egg wash, I'd toss in a little milk if you have it to thin it a bit. If not, just the egg. For a good coat, toss the chicken pieces in the egg wash and roll them around to get a good coat (make sure they're thawed). Then toss it in your flour/spice mixture. Let the meat rest for 20 minutes or so after or until the flour has obviously soaked up the egg. If you think the flour won't come off completely with what you have, gently roll the pieces in the egg wash again and into the flour again. That double-coat creates a nice, crispy crust.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the saltines.

Erik Shawn-Bohner fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 26, 2013

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Seems there is a change of plans, I swore the chicken I had was thawed but no, it was just taken out of the fridge so its still frozen. I swear there was some chicken that was in the fridge for a few days but I guess I was wrong, so I go without handling my fried chicken craving for another night. I'll keep in mind what you both said, and I wont bother with the saltine thing.

When it comes to what is bought though, its not really my choice. All of my grocery suggestions get replies of "You can have an opinion on what is bought when you GET A JOB LEAL", so no one listens to what I have to say. Hell having chicken is like an early christmas present for me, a nice change from the ramen and eggs (and thats only cause my neighbors give them to us for free) my hosts so kindly feed me. Luckily I'll be moving at the end of the week where I can get a job...

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Leal posted:

Seems there is a change of plans, I swore the chicken I had was thawed but no, it was just taken out of the fridge so its still frozen. I swear there was some chicken that was in the fridge for a few days but I guess I was wrong, so I go without handling my fried chicken craving for another night. I'll keep in mind what you both said, and I wont bother with the saltine thing.

When it comes to what is bought though, its not really my choice. All of my grocery suggestions get replies of "You can have an opinion on what is bought when you GET A JOB LEAL", so no one listens to what I have to say. Hell having chicken is like an early christmas present for me, a nice change from the ramen and eggs (and thats only cause my neighbors give them to us for free) my hosts so kindly feed me. Luckily I'll be moving at the end of the week where I can get a job...

Put it in a sealed bag, run some hot water with a stopper in the sink (or heat it on the stove), and toss the sealed bag of chicken in it. Like many things in cooking, to make something go from cold to hot, you should first start by applying heat.

It's 15 loving minutes

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Run cold water on it to defrost unless you want it ghetto sous-bided.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Like the others said, you can easily defrost it. It's been 1.5 hours, so I'm guessing you already ate whatever you were going to eat.

In that case, if it's breast meat you can plan ahead a little bit. Defrost the chicken, then stick it in a brine for tomorrow. The final meal will be a lot more moist and delicious. It will also been a lot harder to dry them out if you overcook them while frying.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I have a request for a suggestion for Recipe Management software or a website. It has to to be able to import recipes from websites, able to have some form of organization (such that recipes containing X can easily be found), able to be used from multiple computers by multiple people and also not to be too hard to do. Also for free if possible.

It's for easily exchanging and organizing recipes between my mom and myself. We get a lot of inspiration from online recipes and currently use Google Docs with links to the recipes. That has some downsides, it is hard to quickly find recipes containing X or Z and is dependent on the recipes staying online. It is a great and fast way to share something though.

So any suggestions?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Kalenden posted:

I have a request for a suggestion for Recipe Management software or a website. It has to to be able to import recipes from websites, able to have some form of organization (such that recipes containing X can easily be found), able to be used from multiple computers by multiple people and also not to be too hard to do. Also for free if possible.

It's for easily exchanging and organizing recipes between my mom and myself. We get a lot of inspiration from online recipes and currently use Google Docs with links to the recipes. That has some downsides, it is hard to quickly find recipes containing X or Z and is dependent on the recipes staying online. It is a great and fast way to share something though.

So any suggestions?

I really like Evernote, and apparently they have a cooking / food-specific version called Evernote Food (though I haven't tried that personally). There's also a browser extension called Evernote Web Clipper that grabs articles from websites. Tags and notebooks keep my stuff organized, and you can search within Evernote to find stuff as well. I'm a fan. Only downside is that, while you can share notebooks with the free version of evernote, you can only allow other people to edit those shared notebooks with evernote premium, which is a paid service.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
All my motherfucking cilantro is flowering and now the leaves don't taste like anything.
Do I have any recourse, other than letting it go to seed and getting more cilantro plants? fakedit: there must be a gardening thread in DIY or something?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Very Strange Things posted:

All my motherfucking cilantro is flowering and now the leaves don't taste like anything.
Do I have any recourse, other than letting it go to seed and getting more cilantro plants?
When cilantro goes to seed what you have is coriander. Collect the seeds and make some motherfucking garam masala or something.

Edit: The DYI gardening thread is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

for redundancy there is a GWS garden thread too http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376974