Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Help, I gave out duchies to all my relatives, and now they're all marrying each other!

What's the matter, my liege? Scared of your little sister's demense? Mom and dad died a natural death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Broken Cog posted:

Help, I gave out duchies to all my relatives, and now they're all marrying each other!

This can solve itself depending on your succession law. If they're on gavelkind, multiple kids will stabilize things. If you're on elective, just nominate their heir and co-opt their progress entirely! If you're on Primogeniture or something else, your main goal will be to wait for superdukes to form, then plot to revoke a secondary ducal title. They'll probably rebel, in which case you get the duchy and get to revoke another title for treason.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, pick something on the easier scale. I'm doing Ireland, for fucksakes.

What would be the Greek equivalent? I don't know much about the new start date.

Would the duke in Italy work?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Qwo posted:

So what's the state of CK2+ and Better Armies after this latest patch? :/

I'll have Better Armies up to date before I take off for the weekend.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, I switched over to elective, nominated my grandson for the heir, and eveyone was fine and dandy...
...except suddenly, without any explanation, I get the message "You have a new heir", and I can't find the grandson anywhere on the elector list anymore.

He's still alive, and the only thing that happened was that I gave out a county to another vassal. Is there something I'm missing about elective mode?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

So, I switched over to elective, nominated my grandson for the heir, and eveyone was fine and dandy...
...except suddenly, without any explanation, I get the message "You have a new heir", and I can't find the grandson anywhere on the elector list anymore.

He's still alive, and the only thing that happened was that I gave out a county to another vassal. Is there something I'm missing about elective mode?

Other people voted for someone else?

Check the "Laws" tab.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Actually, seems it was just a bug. I reloaded the save, and I can elect him just fine now.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Has anyone else run into a problem where trying to look at somebody's Allies tab causes an instant crash to desktop?

Edit: It's actually that entire taskbar for some reason. Court, abroad, etc.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 26, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Broken Cog posted:

Under elective law, your heir isn't whoever you nominate - it's whoever has the majority (well, plurality) of votes, so that if you nominate your grandson but all your vassals want your little brother to succeed you instead, your little brother becomes the heir.

Assuming it's not that, sometimes family members end up inheriting poo poo that makes them ineligible to succeed you, like temples or cities or whatnot. I'm not always sure how they do so, but sometimes they do so. I found this happening to my heir when I created a new vassal merchant republic, somehow, and gently caress if I know how.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I apparently failed to notice that making your Norse sons into Godis no longer removes them from succession before I made my already existing Gavelkind problem worse.

With my authority for this character topped out at Medium, I'm still not allowed into Primogeniture, and have no choice but to switch to elective again.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

So I apparently failed to notice that making your Norse sons into Godis no longer removes them from succession before I made my already existing Gavelkind problem worse.

With my authority for this character topped out at Medium, I'm still not allowed into Primogeniture, and have no choice but to switch to elective again.

Elective is Viking + better than primo.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I have a game based on the Jarldom of Jorvik where I have conquered Britain, Ireland, France, Hispania, Germany, and half of Italy, and I have nothing but counts. Since I'm in Elective, I functionally get to hand pick my successor. It's glorious and actually quite easy to set up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheLoquid posted:

I have a game based on the Jarldom of Jorvik where I have conquered Britain, Ireland, France, Hispania, Germany, and half of Italy, and I have nothing but counts. Since I'm in Elective, I functionally get to hand pick my successor. It's glorious and actually quite easy to set up.

Your tech growth must be abysmal.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Your tech growth must be abysmal.

Does it matter, since he's conquered half the known Western world?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Huh. I was just thinking that I wasn't noticing any affairs happening in any of the pagan games I tried. Looks like there's a reason for it - the "A female courtier initiates romance with her liege" event in birth_events only triggers for lieges in the Christian religion group.

It also appears that at some point, they put a stop to incestuous hijinks. It now requires "NOT = { is_close_relative = ROOT }" as well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So I went to try the GoT mod with the new patch and it crashes on launch. I'm assuming this is just because the mod isn't compatible yet, but I don't see anything on their forum about it. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Does it matter, since he's conquered half the known Western world?

It matters to me dammit!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. I was just thinking that I wasn't noticing any affairs happening in any of the pagan games I tried. Looks like there's a reason for it - the "A female courtier initiates romance with her liege" event in birth_events only triggers for lieges in the Christian religion group.

It also appears that at some point, they put a stop to incestuous hijinks. It now requires "NOT = { is_close_relative = ROOT }" as well.

You can still make incest happen via the console. Sometimes I get bored and find some random independent ruler and make him impregnate all of his close female relatives. :goleft:

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
The Magyar "Form Hungary" decision is hilariously broken if you take it right after a tribal invasion when you have like 30 holdings in your demense. You get free event armies that scale with your maximum levies, so I got around 40k for free.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I'm playing as the (proper, not petty) king of Brittany, and my game keeps crashing one day after holy warring Wessex from the Norse. Is there anyway of knowing why the game crashes, because it's a pretty big setback for my Breton invasion of England if I can't hold Wessex for more than a day.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Non Sequitur posted:

The Magyar "Form Hungary" decision is hilariously broken if you take it right after a tribal invasion when you have like 30 holdings in your demense. You get free event armies that scale with your maximum levies, so I got around 40k for free.

Yeap, took that poo poo out like first thing.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

T-Bone posted:

So I went to try the GoT mod with the new patch and it crashes on launch. I'm assuming this is just because the mod isn't compatible yet, but I don't see anything on their forum about it. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I'm not crashing on start up, but the game won't run for more than five minutes at a time for me if I try playing this mod. I think it's safe to assume the problem is mod-side.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

I thought they patched this today, but apparently I misread something or other.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
What's wrong with de jure drift now?, kingdoms with a holder don't drift into empire for some reason while kingdoms that weren't formed do.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What's a fun rather easy start after Dublin for someone who owns all the xpac's aside from the old gods?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Zotix posted:

What's a fun rather easy start after Dublin for someone who owns all the xpac's aside from the old gods?

Pretend you are playing CK1 and start in Apulia! You control a good chunk of southern italy, have a large dynasty filled with some capable people, and there are plenty of delicious Islamic territory for you to win back for Christendom. Once you conquer Sicily you can either strike at the Mohammedans in Northern Africa or press your claim for part of Greece.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kilonum posted:

You can still make incest happen via the console. Sometimes I get bored and find some random independent ruler and make him impregnate all of his close female relatives. :goleft:
I don't...think that really counts.

Pyromancer posted:

What's wrong with de jure drift now?, kingdoms with a holder don't drift into empire for some reason while kingdoms that weren't formed do.
This has been bugged for months and months, if not years. :(

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Zotix posted:

One of the Jimenez kings in Spain. Castille's the easiest.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The poor Magyars in my game never got into the Caspian Basin and so never formed Hungary, instead they eventually formed a decent sized Crimea.

However I think their culture conversion outside of the Basin is terrible, because they haven't converted a single province in 400 years.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Winter Stormer posted:

One of the Jimenez kings in Spain. Castille's the easiest.

I actually thought Aragon was easier, because you can do your initial expansion with a de jure CB instead of Holy War.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Zotix posted:

A republic! Dive into your very own bottomless pool of gold coins! Engage in republican politics! Embitter yourself to those uppity nobles who refuse to consider you as an equal despite your immense wealth and power!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ever since I discovered how the console works, I can't help it to give myself some gold :smith:
Not from the start, but when I just get back from war and my armies are depleted and my neighbour wants to take over my kingdom and he calls the King of France and some other big guys into his war... Then I just go: gently caress it, get some cash and hire mercs.
Am I a bad person?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

beedeebee posted:

Ever since I discovered how the console works, I can't help it to give myself some gold :smith:
Not from the start, but when I just get back from war and my armies are depleted and my neighbour wants to take over my kingdom and he calls the King of France and some other big guys into his war... Then I just go: gently caress it, get some cash and hire mercs.
Am I a bad person?

Yes, you should be using kill command instead

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

I'm not crashing on start up, but the game won't run for more than five minutes at a time for me if I try playing this mod. I think it's safe to assume the problem is mod-side.

Yeah, it's got to be the mod. I'm instantly crashing to desktop whenever I try to view vassals, court members, allies, etc., and one of my saves just crashes the moment I load it. I thought I'd hosed up the game somehow but since other people are having crashing problems, it might be the mod going haywire.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Am I a bad person?

Yes.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

beedeebee posted:

Am I a bad person?
It sounds like you want to cruise through Crusader Kings without suffering any setback. If you enjoy that, well - it's a single-player game, do what you want.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So I made an evil bitch of a duchess in Crete so I could play around with enatic-cognatic succession. Joined the Byzantines, tried to help out in their early wars, but discovered that I didn't start with shipbuilding at 1, and eventually just said gently caress it. After my first husband gave me two sons, I had him imprisoned and executed and married a Bulgarian prince, who finally gave me a daughter. Then I died at 25. So it jumped to my 2 year old daughter. I end up marrying one of my half brothers off to a countess in Essex (my previous duchess executed the other one). Eventually I get a message that he's trying to kill me. That's a bit of an issue since I'm still a kid, and I can't tell him to knock that poo poo off since he's half way across the map. Whatever, I make it to 18 just fine, marry a German prince and... have a fall off a tower. Suddenly I was the half brother's 2 year old daughter.

I love this game.

beedeebee posted:

Am I a bad person?

Nah, I did that a lot, especially when I was new to the game. Now I just do it when I get all the land to make a kingdom or whatever and have to wait for several years to get enough money and piety to make it.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Crossposting this from the Paradox thread:

Spent way too much time trying to get this right. :negative: Still, I should really start making more historic rulers in the Ruler Designer.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Well, my ruler died before I could change the last couple of titles over to Elective. But because it was only a Kingdom and an Empire, they both would have gone to my first-born son anyway. Then it was just a case of giving away Counties outside of the one Duchy I hold and... sorry boys, but you ain't getting poo poo from daddy.

Obviously, succession is being a little tense, with half my vassals hating my guts, but everyone seems to be joining different/new factions, so I'm not sure any of them will get enough support to challenge me. Now I just need my current ruler to pop out some decent children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

SeaTard posted:

I actually thought Aragon was easier, because you can do your initial expansion with a de jure CB instead of Holy War.

As Castille, the "initial expansion" involves stabbing your two brothers and inheriting their kingdoms before they can find someone to help them produce their own heirs.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 26, 2013

• Locked thread