Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Kodak!

Oh wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Polaroid, likewise.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Lytro- it's the FUTURE.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Vivitar!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Chitin posted:

Polaroid
All three, plus many others, are brands now owned by Sakar International, Inc. and therefore are technically not camera companies, just brands. Splitting hairs, I know. But Sakar is headquartered in New Jersey so I suppose these still count in some kind of aggregate way.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

RED (if we're including cinema cameras), who I just noticed is headquartered up the street from me. I need to get a job there!
I didn't specify, so yes, RED certainly counts. Thanks for pointing them out, they seem like an interesting company at the moment.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

I didn't specify, so yes, RED certainly counts. Thanks for pointing them out, they seem like an interesting company at the moment.

"Seeming like an interesting company" is historically their main focus.

(Also their cameras are good but hot drat are their forums even worse than POTN with gear sigs)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That leads to a further show-me challenge: show me a camera or photography forum that isn't utterly terrible.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ExecuDork posted:

That leads to a further show-me challenge: show me a camera or photography forum that isn't utterly terrible.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=247

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

This but unironically. And that fact is deeply sad.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

This but unironically. And that fact is deeply sad.

Funnily enough, it was only about 10 mins ago that I went to FredMiranda.com for the first time in a while. I read this:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216374/0

And realised just how appalling virtually all forums are, apart from this one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Musket posted:

YOU'ER BACKWARDS. Honestly I never really noticed.

It fucks me up because I shoot a lot of stuff for work on the 6D and 5D3 and I always end up twisting the wrong way when I pull focus or when I'm mounting a lens.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

spog posted:

Funnily enough, it was only about 10 mins ago that I went to FredMiranda.com for the first time in a while. I read this:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216374/0

And realised just how appalling virtually all forums are, apart from this one.

Jesus.

Recently my photos were printed on a bunch of my daughter's soccer team swag.

WHERES MY CUT BITCH?

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
My church group used my photos for a bake sale flyer without permission, do I need to file a separate lawsuit for each little old lady who violated my copyright?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

casa de mi padre posted:

My church group used my photos for a bake sale flyer without permission, do I need to file a separate lawsuit for each little old lady who violated my copyright?

Absolutely. They owe you a shitload of lemon squares.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Talk-Photography isn't too bad but it's very :britain:-centric. Also don't you dare mention there that you've offered to do any photography work for a reduced rate, or worse, free as DON'T YOU REALISE YOU'RE TAKING JOBS AWAY FROM REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS!!!!!!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
People still whine about it, despite availability of "cheap" DSLR gear? More and more friends of mine are getting one. And pro-photographers are sprouting like weeds around here (where pro means owning a VAT number). A surprise no one's whining about dilution of business yet.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I am interested in getting into photography beyond my old P&S camera. Looks like Canon has a refurbished Canon T3i with a 18-55mm IS lens kit for $394, which is looking very appealing. Any thoughts on that price and bundle?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Hughmoris posted:

I am interested in getting into photography beyond my old P&S camera. Looks like Canon has a refurbished Canon T3i with a 18-55mm IS lens kit for $394, which is looking very appealing. Any thoughts on that price and bundle?

Have a look at the Canon thread (and its title) perhaps :)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

What, the thread title talking about the T3? And not talking about the T3i? Really?

I hope you stealth namechanged the thread while you could.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SoundMonkey posted:

The way I read the thread, there is a difference between the T3 (don't buy) and the T3i.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
This is why you should use their real names, 600D and 1100D, not the weird system dreamt up by the US marketing team.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
Yes, 6D vs. 60D vs. 600D is much less confusing. Less numbers means better, except with the 5D and 6D and 7D... I think, I'm still not sure what the differences between them are.

Every brand labels their cameras something retarded and forces you to do way too much research to even know what the newest model is. It is dumb and when I'm in charge of Canon I'll make it stop.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

As evidenced by the fact that both Canon and Nikon have, at some point, made a camera called the D60.

Although in this day and age I don't think too many people are talking about the Canon D60 any more.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Pretty much every range of mirrorless camera seems to be named using some combination of N, X, F and/or 1.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Pretty much every range of mirrorless camera seems to be named using some combination of N, X, F and/or 1.

Olympus superiority.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I miss the asterisk‐ist dee.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

As evidenced by the fact that both Canon and Nikon have, at some point, made a camera called the D60.

Shock horror, Canon and Nikon are uncreative and boring.

Platystemon posted:

I miss the asterisk‐ist dee.

Ah yes, the 'what is a search engine?' model.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
That camera sim in the OP is so much fun, I'm getting no work done just messing around with it!

Anyway, I'm going to have reason to look into a decent camera in the near future (a big holiday that I've been planning for about a decade plus some event/portrait photography next year) so I think it's time to take a step up from iPhone 5 + Snapseed to a real camera.

I have a bad habit of jumping in and out of hobbies very quickly so I want to start on something on a real budget and I've seen a few websites suggesting the Canon EOS 1100D as a good starter camera. Video recording is only 720p but some sample videos I've seen online look damned pretty.
http://www.dabs.com/products/canon-eos-1100d-digital-slr---ef-s-18-55mm-dc-iii-lens---black-8CJ4.html?src=2

Can anyone vouch for this as a good camera for someone to get a taste for using a DSLR? Ideally I wanna start off under £300 (including lens) then invest a little more if I catch the bug for photography.

Most of the event photography I'll be doing will be under pretty good lighting (I can't remember if it's florescent lighting indoors, I'll assume it is) or on pretty cloudy days outside, since a sunny day in Ireland is pretty rare. It would be nice if it could manage indoor concert lightning too but that's much less important.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Question Mark Mound posted:

That camera sim in the OP is so much fun, I'm getting no work done just messing around with it!

Anyway, I'm going to have reason to look into a decent camera in the near future (a big holiday that I've been planning for about a decade plus some event/portrait photography next year) so I think it's time to take a step up from iPhone 5 + Snapseed to a real camera.

I have a bad habit of jumping in and out of hobbies very quickly so I want to start on something on a real budget and I've seen a few websites suggesting the Canon EOS 1100D as a good starter camera. Video recording is only 720p but some sample videos I've seen online look damned pretty.
http://www.dabs.com/products/canon-eos-1100d-digital-slr---ef-s-18-55mm-dc-iii-lens---black-8CJ4.html?src=2

Can anyone vouch for this as a good camera for someone to get a taste for using a DSLR? Ideally I wanna start off under £300 (including lens) then invest a little more if I catch the bug for photography.

Most of the event photography I'll be doing will be under pretty good lighting (I can't remember if it's florescent lighting indoors, I'll assume it is) or on pretty cloudy days outside, since a sunny day in Ireland is pretty rare. It would be nice if it could manage indoor concert lightning too but that's much less important.

No. The canon 1xxx series are not good choices. The T2i/3i/4i are good choices. That's the 600D/650D. Buy used/refurb.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

torgeaux posted:

No. The canon 1xxx series are not good choices. The T2i/3i/4i are good choices. That's the 600D/650D. Buy used/refurb.
Cool stuff, I'll keep an eye out for those. What makes the 1xxx series worth avoiding?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cool stuff, I'll keep an eye out for those. What makes the 1xxx series worth avoiding?

They're deliberately underpowered by Canon. Lesser autofocus, sensor, controls, and construction. The T2i is a good compromise.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
Trust me, as an owner of a Canon XS (aka 1000D), if I could go back in time to January 2009, I would at least pay the extra $100 or whatever it was to get the XSi instead. As my first DSLR I figured I wouldn't miss anything, but 4.5 years later I really do wish I had paid a bit more for a better camera body.

What I don't like:
- the lovely autofocus
- no spot metering
- small LCD
- crappy plastic spray-on coating that's peeling off all over the place

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

torgeaux posted:

They're deliberately underpowered by Canon. Lesser autofocus, sensor, controls, and construction. The T2i is a good compromise.
I have to admit, Canon's numbering system is confusing the hell out of me. The T2i is also the 550D, but the 550D and 600D are better than the 1100D despite having a smaller number. I'm so used to the simplicity of "bigger numbers mean higher up in the range" for so many devices.

I'm guessing £300 is a bit optimistic for something with a lens (even if it is just a kit lens, it'll get me going!) that'll last me. Gonna have to think about how much over budget I can go unless I find a good deal online somewhere.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I have to admit, Canon's numbering system is confusing the hell out of me. The T2i is also the 550D, but the 550D and 600D are better than the 1100D despite having a smaller number. I'm so used to the simplicity of "bigger numbers mean higher up in the range" for so many devices.

I'm guessing £300 is a bit optimistic for something with a lens (even if it is just a kit lens, it'll get me going!) that'll last me. Gonna have to think about how much over budget I can go unless I find a good deal online somewhere.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i

Have you looked used? KEH, adorama and b& h (plus amazon) will have used options.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

torgeaux posted:

Have you looked used? KEH, adorama and b& h (plus amazon) will have used options.
I'm in the UK, but I've been eyeing up eBay and might be able to catch something on there once my pay's in at the end of the month! (Yes, I plan my purchased way too far in advance)

Nothing on Gumtree at the moment in my area unfortunately.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Something like a 450D along with this lens is under your budget if you don't mind second hand gear.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Once you grasp it, the numerical numbering system makes sense but is terrible to try to explain even when you do....

Less digits denotes a better class of camera, but for a given number of digits, the higher number is newer. Except for the single digit cameras, where you want the lowest number. Except the 6D vs 7D which isn't really better but different (bigger sensor vs superior body). Except the 100D which is newer than the 700D.

This timeline is the quickest overview.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Canon_DSLR_cameras

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So looking at comparisons of the 550D and the 600D, the main difference appears to be a movable LCD screen on the 600D, whereas the 550D is lighter, smaller, higher ISO, stereo microphone and faster startup.

Am I missing something obvious as to why the 600D should cost more?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bigger number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ah, well at least some name/price conventions carry over from the things I understand. :unsmith:

edit: Well the 600D does have that in-camera tutorial as to what each feature does and an auto-scene selector, but ideally I'd be able to learn enough to not need it after a couple of weeks.

• Locked thread