Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It works pretty much the same, a character can only get one Quickening on a board.

The difference is that in the original there was only one Licence Board that each character shared, however in IZJS there are twelve different Licence Boards, one for each Job.

This is why it's a bad idea to have two characters with the same job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The mist knacks will open up those outlying panels you can reach. There's charts or lists that will show you which job gets what abilities depending on which summon/knack you choose. You can only get up to three knacks, but I don't remember if it's possible to claim a fourth or later knack-space for a summon but no new super attack.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Still replaying FF12 here. Quick question: Should I be using Quickenings a lot? Or are they a crutch that's gonna make it much harder for me to play the game? I just got past Elder Wyrm and I only saved that fight thanks to an amazing chain I got (20 hits!) that helped wipe the treants and drop him down to roughly 1/3rd HP.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The mist knacks will open up those outlying panels you can reach. There's charts or lists that will show you which job gets what abilities depending on which summon/knack you choose. You can only get up to three knacks, but I don't remember if it's possible to claim a fourth or later knack-space for a summon but no new super attack.
You can't.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Still replaying FF12 here. Quick question: Should I be using Quickenings a lot? Or are they a crutch that's gonna make it much harder for me to play the game? I just got past Elder Wyrm and I only saved that fight thanks to an amazing chain I got (20 hits!) that helped wipe the treants and drop him down to roughly 1/3rd HP.

They're a panic button, in my opinion. If you need to do a lot of damage fast then it's an OK idea to use one, but in the original they drain all your MP which can be a problem. Generally by the end they're best used to wipe out the last chunk of a Boss's HP before they go into super hard mode from low HP.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Most jobs have four quickening licenses, but a character can only buy three. Once you have three the fourth one disappears for that character. Some of these will form "bridges" to the disconnected panels. For most of the jobs, not all of the quickenings bridge to something, but two or three will. That means you should skip a particular quickening license for most jobs, but fortunately these are all obvious if you examine the board before buying one. Hunter (aka Shikari) is the only exception to this. For Hunter, all four quickenings block paths to different ninja swords. As such it is impossible for any Hunter to be able to use every ninja sword.

There are still a lot of other "island" licenses, which get bridged by Espers. The Esper bridges tend to be a lot better than the quickening bridges, like giving Knight white magic. If you examine your license boards again, it's usually obvious who will benefit from a particular Esper the most.

Are you playing IZJS or the original version? In IZJS they're always decent, but in the original version they fall behind a lot late in the game since they eat all of your MP.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Miracon posted:

Are you playing IZJS or the original version? In IZJS they're always decent, but in the original version they fall behind a lot late in the game since they eat all of your MP.

Dr Pepper posted:

They're a panic button, in my opinion. If you need to do a lot of damage fast then it's an OK idea to use one, but in the original they drain all your MP which can be a problem. Generally by the end they're best used to wipe out the last chunk of a Boss's HP before they go into super hard mode from low HP.

Original version.

Generally speaking I tend to use them when I run out of MP later in the fight. Like when I'm down to one or two charges split among the party I whip them out for a long chain before I bench the first string and bring up the mop up crew, then repeat.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man every time I read about the job system in FF12 Zodiac it's way deeper than I think. I knew you have to plan out which jobs to give which espers to, I didn't know you even had to plan out which quickening slots to fill. Man you could really mess up a character or your entire party permanently.

Renoistic posted:

O'Brian is fantastic in Nier!

Everyone was fantastic in Nier though.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

They should just give those guys, Team Drakengard Nier, all of the money and developer resources normally allotted to Final Fantasy to live their dreams with this franchise. That isn't ironic, it's a thing I truly believe.

I actually wouldn't mind if they let them design everything in a game except for the actual gameplay. They don't seem to understand that part.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man every time I read about the job system in FF12 Zodiac it's way deeper than I think. I knew you have to plan out which jobs to give which espers to, I didn't know you even had to plan out which quickening slots to fill. Man you could really mess up a character or your entire party permanently.

Eh, not really. You can check and compare before buying the licenses pretty easily, and in most cases it's pretty clear which Esper you should be giving to which job. For example, Exodus gives mid-high tier Heavy Armor to Black Mages and +350 HP to Knights. It's a lot more useful to give him to Knights, of course, since Heavy Armor does poo poo for BMs (they shouldnt be getting hit thanks to Decoy).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Why is the endgame in Final Fantasy Dimensions soooooo long? From the time I got to Castle Avalon to one of the first Nil bosses I think I've been playing for 6 hours, and this is with me skipping a ton of battles.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Another FF12 question: Where do you get more teleport stones? I'm down to one and I'm heading to the Stilshrine and I'd like to rush back to rabanastre to do some marks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

Why is the endgame in Final Fantasy Dimensions soooooo long? From the time I got to Castle Avalon to one of the first Nil bosses I think I've been playing for 6 hours, and this is with me skipping a ton of battles.

Its so that you can enjoy finally having a complete party with full leveling options (aka the tutorial is finally over and the game has started). I really appreciated that it was really long because if Castle Avalon was all I could do with a full party I would have been dissapointed.

Post game content is pretty anemic though so enjoy while it lasts.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Another FF12 question: Where do you get more teleport stones? I'm down to one and I'm heading to the Stilshrine and I'd like to rush back to rabanastre to do some marks.

Yeah they kind of hide these from you. Two places, either from the clan shop after you've reached a certain rank, or from the airship shop. Easiest way is just hop on an airship to anywhere (making sure you select the option that doesn't skip the flight) then buy up as many as you can while you're there.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Yeah they kind of hide these from you. Two places, either from the clan shop after you've reached a certain rank, or from the airship shop. Easiest way is just hop on an airship to anywhere (making sure you select the option that doesn't skip the flight) then buy up as many as you can while you're there.

I'm one mark away from being able to buy TP stones. When does the White Mousse fight become available?

EDIT: Wait it's rank 5. I've done Rogue Tomato, Nidhogg, Thextera, Flowering Cactoid, Wraith, Cluckatrice, and Rocktoise. Are there anyone rank 1/easy rank 2 ones left that I can grab right now?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 26, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

Its so that you can enjoy finally having a complete party with full leveling options (aka the tutorial is finally over and the game has started). I really appreciated that it was really long because if Castle Avalon was all I could do with a full party I would have been dissapointed.

Post game content is pretty anemic though so enjoy while it lasts.

I could see that POV, but there aren't a ton of advantages to mixing parties other than having a Magus and Seer in your party at the same time. With the proper job building you can easily make overpowered classes already.

Actually I'm thinking of just ditching the Seer altogether and just having 2 Maguses with Doublecast + 3 of Sol's party set up as thieves with all the healing F-Abilities and Mental Discipline/MP bonuses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

I could see that POV, but there aren't a ton of advantages to mixing parties other than having a Magus and Seer in your party at the same time. With the proper job building you can easily make overpowered classes already.

Actually I'm thinking of just ditching the Seer altogether and just having 2 Maguses with Doublecast + 3 of Sol's party set up as thieves with all the healing F-Abilities and Mental Discipline/MP bonuses.

That might be the most unorthodox final party I've seen anyone want to use. Most people go Ninja/Ninja/Ninja/Magus/Seer. Its not particularly relevant though because the final bosses are stupidly easy.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I'm one mark away from being able to buy TP stones. When does the White Mousse fight become available.

Pretty sure you can do it as soon as you've accessed the second section of the waterway area.

e: Oh and you have to have beaten the wyvern lord hunt (only a mark 2).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm one mark away from being able to buy TP stones. When does the White Mousse fight become available?

EDIT: Wait it's rank 5. I've done Rogue Tomato, Nidhogg, Thextera, Flowering Cactoid, Wraith, Cluckatrice, and Rocktoise. Are there anyone rank 1/easy rank 2 ones left that I can grab right now?

You might be able to enter Zertinan from the Westersand and kill Marilith. Might not be an easy fight at that level though.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Has anyone tried the Mod Of Balance romhack for Final Fantasy: Dawn Of Souls? I'm curious how much it improves Final Fantasy II.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I think FF15 looks kind of dumb but I know I'm gonna buy it anyway because I'm a sucker.

As for voice acting I don't care as long as they don't make those stupid noises that no one ever makes. When some big enemy or something strange happens all the characters start going ooooh! Uh! Ahhh! I know it's a Japanese thing but I can't stand it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I finally saw the other offscreen gameplay video of Lightning Returns. drat that game looks fun!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope XV goes the whole ten miles on the boy band thing it has going on. X-2's monopoly on pop concerts has gone on long enough!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Level Slide posted:

I hope XV goes the whole ten miles on the boy band thing it has going on. X-2's monopoly on pop concerts has gone on long enough!

Noctis to be voiced by Justin Timberlake: Confirmed.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

I finally saw the other offscreen gameplay video of Lightning Returns. drat that game looks fun!

You can now move Lightning about with the left analogue stick, so you don't have to worry about people standing in exactly the wrong place when an enemy does a huge area attack. Also, the square/X button seems to have a defend command in each of her three jobs, but I wonder if you can customise which four abilities each one can use.

Does it use the encounter system of XIII, or XIII-2? I really liked how it worked in XIII, where every enemy is already on the field, and how satisfying it was to actually get a pre-emptive strike. In XIII-2, they went back to random encounters, and getting a pre-emptive strike was much easier, but also far less useful. I think LR uses XIII's style for having enemies already in the field, but XIII-2's style of engaging in battle.

I'm surprised that they never let you explore Gran Pulse in XIII-2, using the new gameplay mechanics. But with the new encounter system, it would be a hell of a lot less impressive since monsters don't appear unless you've triggered a random encounter.

Barudak posted:

I was thinking of another Justin.

Bieber

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

You're joking, but I'd be pretty alright with that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

They'd never be able to afford JT.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

That loving Sned posted:

You can now move Lightning about with the left analogue stick, so you don't have to worry about people standing in exactly the wrong place when an enemy does a huge area attack. Also, the square/X button seems to have a defend command in each of her three jobs, but I wonder if you can customise which four abilities each one can use.

Does it use the encounter system of XIII, or XIII-2? I really liked how it worked in XIII, where every enemy is already on the field, and how satisfying it was to actually get a pre-emptive strike. In XIII-2, they went back to random encounters, and getting a pre-emptive strike was much easier, but also far less useful. I think LR uses XIII's style for having enemies already in the field, but XIII-2's style of engaging in battle.

I'm surprised that they never let you explore Gran Pulse in XIII-2, using the new gameplay mechanics. But with the new encounter system, it would be a hell of a lot less impressive since monsters don't appear unless you've triggered a random encounter.

The Stagger mechanic is back, but now must be gauged through a sine-wave gauge that rests behind the enemy HP bar. Inducing red spikes in the wave means you're hitting an enemy weakness, further moving them towards Stagger. Stagger doesn't last nearly as long as it did in previous games, though.

You can customize all 100 (!) outfits that Lightning gets, yeah, as well as switch between them on the fly. I don't know if that customization extends to abilities, however.

The encounter system looks to be like FFXIII's. Enemies wander the field and can be struck in multiple different ways: Catching them off-guard reduces enemy HP by 25%, striking them before they strike you reduces by 10%, and getting ambushed reduces Lightning's HP by 5%. You can also use the Overclock system (which reduces your in-game clock per use) to slow time for your enemies and unleash a flurry of moves before they can react.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

W.T. Fits posted:

Counterpoint:

Buttpants.

In most places they're called "shorts" but ok I guess?

CottonWolf posted:

They could go the Xenoblade route and get actual genuine British people to provide their faux-British accents.

Only if they have have Riki's voice actor for Noctis so he looks like a brooding kid with the most :buddy: voice ever when he speaks.

1st AD posted:

You're also going to wreck everything if you have a Dualcasting Seer and Magus backing up a pair of rapidfire ninjas and a paladin with Mighty Wall (def/mdef/atk boost for all). Plus a dualgripped Paladin can just wreck the hell out of things in their own right. I think I had mine using Thor's Hammer when I finished the game and he was hitting the last boss for something like 4-6k damage at times.

Nothing really tops a boosted up Alba dualcasting meteors though. It almost makes up for her being an insufferable character that isn't the least bit funny. Almost.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

In most places they're called "shorts" but ok I guess?
Definitely buttpants, no decent man straps his shorts to his thighs :colbert:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
There's no loving way those are shorts, dude.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

The Stagger mechanic is back, but now must be gauged through a sine-wave gauge that rests behind the enemy HP bar. Inducing red spikes in the wave means you're hitting an enemy weakness, further moving them towards Stagger. Stagger doesn't last nearly as long as it did in previous games, though.

You can customize all 100 (!) outfits that Lightning gets, yeah, as well as switch between them on the fly. I don't know if that customization extends to abilities, however.

The encounter system looks to be like FFXIII's. Enemies wander the field and can be struck in multiple different ways: Catching them off-guard reduces enemy HP by 25%, striking them before they strike you reduces by 10%, and getting ambushed reduces Lightning's HP by 5%. You can also use the Overclock system (which reduces your in-game clock per use) to slow time for your enemies and unleash a flurry of moves before they can react.

I really liked the system in Type-0, where attacking an enemy at a certain time will either kill them or deal significant damage. For instance, if a Behemoth lunges at you, then as it recovers it will be vulnerable for a split-second. Melee-focused characters would need to be close to the enemy a lot to take advantage of this, and ranged attackers or magic users would need to attack slightly earlier, so it comes into contact at the right time. Then there's the guy who uses guns, which kinda gets the best of both. I'm not sure how the new stagger mechanic works, but I'd love it to use some of the ideas from Type-0.

Customising outfits in The Last Story was really fun, so if you can do the same in LR then it should be good too. I have a feeling that it's just going to be adding accessories to one of her preset costumes, though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gotta make sure that everywhere except centre mass is well armoured.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Thong armor is perfectly reasonable, it makes it easier to run :colbert:

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

1st AD posted:

They'd never be able to afford JT.

They could get Lance Bass. It wouldn't be the first time he's voiced a Final Fantasy character.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I loved how in Advent Children, Could was stabbed in the shoulder that wasn't armoured.

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

I loved how in Advent Children, Could was stabbed in the shoulder that wasn't armoured.

It's so realistic :P

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

At least he had the good sense to armor his eye.(I'm pretty sure his sunglasses took a bullet near the beginning)

Didn't Ashe'x hubby in the opening of FFXII have the same problem? His armor had one glaring weak spot and so you were left thinking "gee, I wonder if he'll die."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Somewhere in Shibuya, a 42-year-old man just shut his office door, cranked up the visual kei, and shouted out "My time is nigh!"

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Since we're talking about badly placed armor, I have to ask: how often do people's elbows get injured anyway? Even the most scantily clad designs have elbow protection. Case in point, Ashe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Krad posted:

Since we're talking about badly placed armor, I have to ask: how often do people's elbows get injured anyway? Even the most scantily clad designs have elbow protection. Case in point, Ashe.

Have you ever hit your funny bone? poo poo hurts, better safe then sorry.