Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Gloomiebat posted:

Ha I just got offered a trial shift or something on the 6th at a club (no interview or anything) what the hell is even going on. It's experience either way I guess?!

edit: they're being really vague in the email I'm probably going to get murdered, welp!

Enjoy your new career as a stripper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dangleberry
Mar 29, 2007

um jist...ecstaticly happy

NoArmedMan posted:

We play at Room 8 in the city, its pretty rad and $10 an hour. Just noticed you're another scot. There will be more scottish expat melgoons than australian melgoons soon. It's an invasion. Stop the planes.
Soon there will be no stopping us. And you piking ozzys have no one to blame but yourselves! The invasion may be starting in a pool hall in chinatown, but soon we'll have the country.

Gloomiebat posted:

Ha, it's like I was saying last night that we're all like Scotland is so great but we're all in Australia. That alluring combination of money + sun!

Pool was really fun, I went from utterly poo poo to able to winning by default (once, ha) which was pretty respectable I thought :v:
You improved pretty quickly in that session. Learning to leave the black hanging over the pocket causing us to pot it and lose the game was a masterstroke!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Gloomiebat posted:

Ha I just got offered a trial shift or something on the 6th at a club (no interview or anything) what the hell is even going on. It's experience either way I guess?!

edit: they're being really vague in the email I'm probably going to get murdered, welp!

I figure it is experience at least. Nothing to put on your resume if you don't get the job but at least next time you do get a trial shift you'll have a better idea of what to do.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Lord Dangleberry posted:

You improved pretty quickly in that session. Learning to leave the black hanging over the pocket causing us to pot it and lose the game was a masterstroke!

The lychee long game :v:

Octy posted:

I figure it is experience at least. Nothing to put on your resume if you don't get the job but at least next time you do get a trial shift you'll have a better idea of what to do.

I'm bricking it a bit because I don't have as much experience as I said I did but I guess it's one day of my life and at the very least I'll have some experience at the end of it. How did your trial go?

NoArmedMan posted:

Enjoy your new career as a stripper

They said they'll email me next week with proper details which is a slight relief, haha.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

Lord Dangleberry posted:

Soon there will be no stopping us. And you piking ozzys have no one to blame but yourselves! The invasion may be starting in a pool hall in chinatown, but soon we'll have the country.

That's a fitting name/avatar combo for you, also I was just mentioning that very fact to NoArmedMan this morning. But the Ameristralian alliance is strong! I suspect we will remain pool world champs for years to come. We can do a rematch of english speakers vs. scottish next week, unless of course all the Australians pike again. Good luck with the work trial Gloomiebat.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Gloomiebat posted:

I'm bricking it a bit because I don't have as much experience as I said I did but I guess it's one day of my life and at the very least I'll have some experience at the end of it. How did your trial go?

Manager didn't turn up. The other bartenders were nice though and I think I established a fairly good rapport with them. They gave me a lot of good tips as well as suggesting ways of increasing my chance of getting the job. I also got a free beer at the end when it turned out their boss wasn't just late, he wasn't turning up at all. I'm to wait on a phone call from him tomorrow but I'll give him a call on Friday if he doesn't. Show some initiative or something, I guess.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Omgz posted:

That's a fitting name/avatar combo for you, also I was just mentioning that very fact to NoArmedMan this morning. But the Ameristralian alliance is strong! I suspect we will remain pool world champs for years to come. We can do a rematch of english speakers vs. scottish next week, unless of course all the Australians pike again. Good luck with the work trial Gloomiebat.

Ha, what was I saying about the east/west divide? I'm up for that anyway, I can only improve after all!

Cheers, I'm looking at crash courses in bartending so that I can at least tell partial truths to my potential employers (I did go on one when I got my RSA and learned pretty much bugger all but we'll see.)

Octy posted:

Manager didn't turn up. The other bartenders were nice though and I think I established a fairly good rapport with them. They gave me a lot of good tips as well as suggesting ways of increasing my chance of getting the job. I also got a free beer at the end when it turned out their boss wasn't just late, he wasn't turning up at all. I'm to wait on a phone call from him tomorrow but I'll give him a call on Friday if he doesn't. Show some initiative or something, I guess.

That's a shame he didn't show but at least at the worst you got some experience and advice (and beer) which is better than nothing? Definitely give the guy a call on Friday, hopefully it was just a one-off and he's not incompetent or anything.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Gloomiebat posted:

That's a shame he didn't show but at least at the worst you got some experience and advice (and beer) which is better than nothing? Definitely give the guy a call on Friday, hopefully it was just a one-off and he's not incompetent or anything.

My understanding is that the guy is the manager of a few bars, so yeah, I guess he's pretty busy and I can forgive him for that. The bartenders both said he's really nice though, which is a plus in my book if I do get the job.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Octy posted:

My understanding is that the guy is the manager of a few bars, so yeah, I guess he's pretty busy and I can forgive him for that. The bartenders both said he's really nice though, which is a plus in my book if I do get the job.

I'd still give him a quick call if you don't hear back, just a hey, wanted to introduce myself because I didn't catch you during my trial type thing if you haven't already met him and stuff. Good luck!

I found out today I got the film festival job which is great, but it's a 2-week voluntary thing so experience is the main thing I'll be getting out of it (and it's not until the last week of July) so still keeping a look out. Pleased though because I thought I could have done better in the interview.

Any recommendations as to where I could grab some more formal ladies' office/interview type clothes? I just need trousers and a couple of shirts/blouses etc. What I've got at the moment isn't really suitable but I also don't want to have to spend shitloads of money either so any advice would be much appreciated!

Lord Dangleberry
Mar 29, 2007

um jist...ecstaticly happy

Gloomiebat posted:

I'd still give him a quick call if you don't hear back, just a hey, wanted to introduce myself because I didn't catch you during my trial type thing if you haven't already met him and stuff. Good luck!

I found out today I got the film festival job which is great, but it's a 2-week voluntary thing so experience is the main thing I'll be getting out of it (and it's not until the last week of July) so still keeping a look out. Pleased though because I thought I could have done better in the interview.

Any recommendations as to where I could grab some more formal ladies' office/interview type clothes? I just need trousers and a couple of shirts/blouses etc. What I've got at the moment isn't really suitable but I also don't want to have to spend shitloads of money either so any advice would be much appreciated!
Congrats on the job! Check out some op shops for cheap formal clothes, you'll find something easily enough. It's fairly easy for a girl to look smart with a blouse and trousers/skirt, whereas men usually have to rock the collar and tie look. I brought an old interview suit over as part of my luggage so I wouldn't have to spend money on something I wear once.

Omgz posted:

Don't knock my supercool username or avatar!

I won't be representing team scotland next tuesday as i'll be working that night. I would just embarrass you anyway. ;)

Also, if anyone traveling to Melbourne around August is looking for a house-share in Williamstown, my room will become available as i'll be moving out. Just an alternative to the Gumtree lottery.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Lord Dangleberry posted:

Congrats on the job! Check out some op shops for cheap formal clothes, you'll find something easily enough. It's fairly easy for a girl to look smart with a blouse and trousers/skirt, whereas men usually have to rock the collar and tie look. I brought an old interview suit over as part of my luggage so I wouldn't have to spend money on something I wear once.

Cheers! I would've brought something over with me but I was in my last job for like eight years and it was somewhere I could've turned up in my pyjamas and no-one would've given a poo poo so I didn't have anything, ha. Going to have a hunt around the outlet places tomorrow and whatnot, my poor wallet. I'm going to try and get some stuff that I can wear on other occasions as well, whatever I do it's going to be expensive but if I can start off at least with some interview-y stuff that's something!

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013
If your planning to go op shopping in Australia, Melbourne is defiantly the place to do it. For sure. I went op shopping here in Perth and the most common item is ash grey XXXL suit jackets :(

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Ulysiss posted:

If your planning to go op shopping in Australia, Melbourne is defiantly the place to do it. For sure. I went op shopping here in Perth and the most common item is ash grey XXXL suit jackets :(

An XXXL suit jacket is by far a better option than what I've currently got at my disposal so we'll call that plan B!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Ulysiss posted:

Or you can be really small like me and wear kid's clothings. :v:

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Gloomiebat, if you can't find anything in the op shops, my labmates always mention the Direct Factoy Outlet (DFO) near Southbank. I haven't been there myself though, since I'm too addicted to ASOS and YESSTYLE 8D

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

plasmoduck posted:

Gloomiebat, if you can't find anything in the op shops, my labmates always mention the Direct Factoy Outlet (DFO) near Southbank. I haven't been there myself though, since I'm too addicted to ASOS and YESSTYLE 8D

I went there today and found two amazing work dresses that should stand me in good stead (seriously, I love them.) I nabbed some cheap shoes as well in the city so I think I'm good for at least the interview stage and if necessary afterwards once I've got an income I can add a few more pieces so I don't look like a tramp :) One less thing to worry about at least.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
What's the dresscode for graphic designer? I mean, I'm moving to Sydney next month, there'll be some job interviews and I don't want to appear under- or overdressed.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Woohoo posted:

What's the dresscode for graphic designer? I mean, I'm moving to Sydney next month, there'll be some job interviews and I don't want to appear under- or overdressed.

Depends on what kind of corporation it is I guess. Could you tell us the size of the company or what kind of clients they handle?

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Not really. Printing companies in Sydney seem to be small-ish though.
Being young graphic designer feels like jeans & sneakers (and was OK in last - European - company I worked for), but I haven't been in Australia very long and don't know for sure.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 29, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'd go business casual to the interviews. If you're overdressed for jeans and sneakers you'll make a good enough impression for the interview without being over the top with a suit and tie, or if business casual is the norm, well, congratulations, you've dressed correctly!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Pretty much. If it's a small place then yeah, it'll likely be more relaxed. Some larger graphics design places can be a bit stuffier, but they usually work on things like big retail chain catalogues. If we can speak in cliches, somewhere from 'smart casual' to 'business casual' will do fine.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Black leather shoes, trousers instead of jeans, button shirt and a 'business' jacket (or just anything that isn't like just a normal go out jacket) will be fine without overdressing. I mean it'd be overdressing for macdonalds maybe but whatever

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

So I decided to be the tourist today and catch the ferry to Manly among other exciting activities. During the last 10 minutes I went out and stood on one of four observation decks with a bunch of other people who were also standing. Soon enough a guy comes up and says to me, 'can you move out of the way so my wife and I don't have to stare at your back?' I point out to him that he and his wife could stand next to me and enjoy the view and that frankly it was my first time on a ferry in years and I was determined to enjoy it. He insists they have to be sitting down and then he goes off in a huff accusing me of being rude.

He returned a couple of minutes later and accuses me of being English, using that tiresome 'when in Rome...' saying and explaining how Australia is an egalitarian society and I should understand that before I come here bringing my unjust class bound English ways. Sure, I have a bit of an English accent. God knows why but it's not something I put on because it's just embarrassing when I meet new people. I tell him I'm as Australian as he is but he claimed I couldn't be because I was 'clearly English with that accent'. (Tell that to my neighbours who speak with Italian accents but who have been here for 50 odd years. Any half-decent person would know they're as Australian as the Anglo/Irish person who was born here).

I'm kind of conflicted though because it was a reasonable request, but he just asked it in a really rude manner initially and was even ruder afterwards when I again politely declined to move. I hope it's not indicative of how tourists are treated in this country. Or maybe I was being an rear end, I don't know. I don't think I was. Actually, at one point in the second incident I told him to 'shut the hell up and leave me alone' (my usually non-swearing brain rebelled against saying 'gently caress off') but otherwise I acted and spoke fairly decently compared to him. I'm also a pretty un-PC person (always joking, of course) and there's not much that riles me up otherwise, but it makes me really angry and upset when I hear other people seriously suggest that so and so can't be Australian because they speak with a foreign accent or look differently.

Octy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 1, 2013

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013
Isn't it just glorious living in Australia? The multicultural paradise where everyone gets a fair go. Everyone here means "Only those born and bred in Australia"

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Ulysiss posted:

Isn't it just glorious living in Australia? The multicultural paradise where everyone gets a fair go. Everyone here means "Only those born and bred in Australia"

Except Aboriginals.

:(

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
Ugh, someone make me feel better about being reluctant to accept potential work (I missed the call but they want me to go in for an interview tomorrow which I can't make anyway but I've not called back yet to rearrange) for one of these door-to-door cold-calling commission-based 'fun, social, ideal for backpackers!!!!' jobs? I applied just on the off-chance amongst a bunch of other jobs but after looking them up online and hearing from a girl I'm sharing a room with who has worked for them before (when I said I'd applied she just made this 'oh dear' face) I've only seen negative things. I don't know, I just have a really bad feeling about it.

On the up-side though I have a paid trial as a kitchen-hand/dish-washer on Wednesday night; not the most glamorous job in the world but it's a start, not to mention a foot (well, a pinkie-toe) in the hospitality door. The bar work thing didn't pan out.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
You dodged a bullet, those kind of jobs are pretty soul destroying. I don't know how people manage to keep working there. Sucks to be broke and desperate.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

teacup posted:

Black leather shoes, trousers instead of jeans, button shirt and a 'business' jacket (or just anything that isn't like just a normal go out jacket) will be fine without overdressing. I mean it'd be overdressing for macdonalds maybe but whatever

Still feels like overdoing it in country where everyone wears flip-flops. In Perth, I saw businesspeople wearing backpacks and training shoes (with trousers and button shirts, though).
But some say WA isn't like rest of Australia...

Plus, being a poor-rear end backpacker, this is considerable hit to my so-called budget (which mostly consists of maxed out credit cards).
Best clothes I have at the moment are brightly white sneakers, passable designer jeans and short-sleeved button shirt.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 8, 2013

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

imnotinsane posted:

You dodged a bullet, those kind of jobs are pretty soul destroying. I don't know how people manage to keep working there. Sucks to be broke and desperate.

Thanks for making me feel better about not returning their call :v: I'd honestly rather just admit defeat and go back home than do a job like that, but I'm not quite at that stage of desperation yet, thank god. Here's hoping this dishwashing gig pans out, maybe it'll lead onto other stuff.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Woohoo posted:

Still feels like overdoing it in country where everyone wears flip-flops. In Perth, I saw businesspeople wearing backpacks and training shoes (with trousers and button shirts, though).
But some say WA isn't like rest of Australia...

Plus, being a poor-rear end backpacker, this is considerable hit to my so-called budget (which mostly consists of maxed out credit cards).
Best clothes I have at the moment are brightly white sneakers, passable designer jeans and short-sleeved button shirt.

Go to an op shop. Shoes are probably the big thing. Depends what job I guess, barwork and cafes won't give a poo poo. Maybe call centres. Anything in an office will.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

Gloomiebat posted:

Thanks for making me feel better about not returning their call :v: I'd honestly rather just admit defeat and go back home than do a job like that, but I'm not quite at that stage of desperation yet, thank god. Here's hoping this dishwashing gig pans out, maybe it'll lead onto other stuff.

Good luck jobless buddy, and yes I would have passed on the door to door stuff as well.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Omgz posted:

Good luck jobless buddy, and yes I would have passed on the door to door stuff as well.

Cheers dude, still no luck for you? It's a sorry state of affairs when I'm sitting here praying that I get this job washing plates but just think of all the lychee booze I could buy on minimum wage :allears:

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013
I agree that Australian dress standards aren't the strictest, but no one is going to look down on you for dressing nice, maybe it will help you stand out from the crowd. I will be the first to admit that I stopped wearing a suit jacket to work because I knew I could get away with it. But I had that bitch on for the interview and everyday for the first few months.

I also agree with the comments above, door to door salesman work is certainly work, but paying work? I'm not so sure.

I know it's not ideal, but the nearest McDonalds/Woolworths or similar would definitely have spots free - even if it's just to tied you over and keep things flush while you look for a real job. Just a few shifts a week will stave of the bank account problems just long enough to get something good. You can get knocked back 99 times, but you only need to get accepted once. Chin up, you'll find one.

Ulysiss fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 9, 2013

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Ulysiss posted:

I know it's not ideal, but the nearest McDonalds/Woolworths or similar would definitely have spots free - even if it's just to tied you over and keep things flush while you look for a real job. Just a few shifts a week will stave of the bank account problems just long enough to get something good. You can get knocked back 99 times, but you only need to get accepted once. Chin up, you'll find one.

Oh, I'm not too proud to work at those places or anything like that, but the minute anyone gets wind of my working holiday visa (and sadly my accent is an immediate giveaway that I'm not an Aussie) it's a big nope. I won't give up yet though, not until the money starts getting to that 'oh poo poo actually poor' stage. I've been scrounging food off the 'free food' shelf in this hostel just in case! (Microwave rice, fish sauce, a red onion and nutella are a meal, right? I can still afford real food, don't worry.) At least I'm getting paid for this trial shift so if the worst happens it's some money which is better than nowt.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Is it generally not too bad to find a part-time job if you can only do the 40 hours/fortnight on a student visa? Most likely gonna be in Hobart.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I used to manage at a KFC and we hired international students so much we did not care

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
I got a job! :woop: The hours mean I'll never be able to socialise past 5pm on any given night but money. Oh god what a loving relief.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Woohoo posted:

I can almost guarantee that people in business attire but with trainers change into those shoes for the walk outside the office.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Gromit posted:

I can almost guarantee that people in business attire but with trainers change into those shoes for the walk outside the office.

Yep a lot of people walk to work in trainers then change when they get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

Gloomiebat posted:

Cheers dude, still no luck for you?

Noooo of course not, jobless for life. Also congrats on the new job, think of all the cheap booze you can afford now.