Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

Holy poo poo that looks terrible. Like the Ryback just had an embarrassing pratfall off a Three Stooges banana peel.

I don't even know how Johnny Miyagi there is supposed to be held up. He's just floating behind Ralph Macchio Jr. there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I Before E posted:

I would love it if Rutherford PS Hayes and Willard Filmore were in the game.

Or if you could just have the game autocreate jobbers to squash.

Randomly generated jobbers is a feature I never knew I wanted.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WWE 2K14 / Yukes continues to set the bar on making the graphics look shittier and shittier every year. Next year, it will just be a bunch of blobs wrestling each other.

Anyone want to start a betting pool on how long it will take for the servers to poo poo themselves after release?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

WWE 2K14 / Yukes continues to set the bar on making the graphics look shittier and shittier every year. Next year, it will just be a bunch of blobs wrestling each other.

Anyone want to start a betting pool on how long it will take for the servers to poo poo themselves after release?

TBF, most of the game was probably half-done before THQ went under, so it makes sense for 2K to just use the assets they already have. Next years installment will be the telling one. (If Yukes is still around for 2K15 count on it being the same poo poo)

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

DarkstarIV posted:

Are we allowed to guess negative values?

Rowlimus
May 2, 2003

He burns at the centre of time IN HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE BAH GAWD
Weren't the servers OK until Christmas last year, because hardly anyone had the game yet? Of course, there was nothing to download, because hardly anyone had the game yet.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I cannot stop laughing at how bad that looks its 2013 and a major licence is being released looking like that.

Amazing

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ugh. That game is definitely gonna be a $15 used purchase a couple months after release. I liked the gameplay of '13, but the graphics are such poo poo that I can't bring myself to buy another game new until they change what they're doing in that regard.

I do love that Macho Man is a main character, though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There is no way that's the final graphics, right?

...right?

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
I guess they have been focusing all their efforts on improving the gameplay. :j:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

There is no way that's the final graphics, right?

...right?

I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer is working off an incomplete build, but so long as I can make a finisher that's 8 nutshots followed by a poison mist and a rollup, I'm fine.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I realize that they are partially working off old THQ resources, but WWE 13 looked better than that. MLB or NBA 2K13 look miles better than that. It's impressive in a way, to be that bad. I'm deciding that they had to lighten the graphics budget to make room on the disc for the HCTP-style branching story mode.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Well if they don't finally get rid of the unblockable running grapples in this game no one but a small group of twink jobs with hacked CAWs will be playing online anyway, so this may be a non-issue. :v:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I realize that they are partially working off old THQ resources, but WWE 13 looked better than that. MLB or NBA 2K13 look miles better than that. It's impressive in a way, to be that bad. I'm deciding that they had to lighten the graphics budget to make room on the disc for the HCTP-style branching story mode.

I'm deciding they did it to fit more slots in the Create A Finisher so I can have 48 nutshots followed by a poison mist and a rollup.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Here's my theory about why the game looks like poo poo:

Yukes was working on it, THQ was going out of business and not paying them. So Yukes cut way back and stopped working on it. Now they're X months behind and everything looks like crap, because why would they kill themselves working on a game when it all might get shut down and scrapped anyway?

I'm not sure why 2K would release screenshots that look like garbage though, that's a bit weird.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I'm not sure why 2K would release screenshots that look like garbage though, that's a bit weird.

Yeah, that's the most bizarre thing about it. The trailer is, one assumes, designed to get people to preorder this thing. Who on earth would choose to preorder the game on display if they weren't already going to?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I like how there's more inactive (or, well, dead) guys in the trailer than current superstars.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

triplexpac posted:

I'm guessing that's all they could come up with before the press deadline, and it's not like there's really a ton of competition in the pro wrestling game market anyway. Right now the best alternative to the WWE series is an aging, semi-obscure sprite based game that you have to go out of your way to find.

Well that and WWE All-Stars, but the servers for that were shut down a couple months ago and singleplayer is too easy so it's kind of a moot point now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

But their competition isn't other wrestling games, it's games in general. If this game is lovely enough I imagine more than a few people will pick up WWE 13 at a deep discount and just create/download whomever is missing.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
I don't think 2K14 looks particularly bad. I remember these same complaints about WWE '13, and I felt once you actually got into the game and things were moving around that most of the wrestlers looked fine. Besides Hunter Hearst Helmsley and The Ryback DLC. Even the much-maligned Bret Hart model didn't look that bad in motion.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
As long as 2k is still using Yukes it will continue to be a bad game. Not really surprising.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I can sort of understand why things look a little worse this time around. An odd development cycle, and I'm guessing Yukes isn't going to put a lot of effort into models when they can only be used for one game- since they're going to have to make the jump to the next generation now.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

yukes are capable of making a good game, but when you have a development cycle that is under 2 years there's no way it will be that much better. remember thq owed yukes between $15-20 million at the time of their closing.

2K gained the WWE license in late january and had to have the game out for the same october/november release window as each year, the most they are going to be able to do for this one is put their own spit-shine on it.

THQ started developing WWE 15 already as a Xbox One/PS4 gen game so maybe it will look like a 360/PS3 game.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
They need to start body scanning guys again like they did with Jakks or hire the people who worked on impact. Other 2k games have good modeling, this play doh looking poo poo is shameful in 2013.

I'm pretty fine with WWE Endless Reversal Simulator 2013, I really don't see myself updating this year, especially if the rumors of removing universe mode are true.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Tato posted:

They need to start body scanning guys again like they did with Jakks or hire the people who worked on impact. Other 2k games have good modeling, this play doh looking poo poo is shameful in 2013.
Well, they did shut down the studio that did AllStars even though it was successful. Stupid UDraw...

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Aces and 8s The Game comes out today guys.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jack Krauser posted:

Just walk into the Gamestop and bellow "DO YOU KNOW WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY?"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I bet it puts the length of Skyrim's campaign to shame. Over 12 months of non-start action.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!
Guys...you're complaining about graphics...but really...
What's worse: a poor looking game that plays smoothly, or a polished, sharp looking game that plays like poo poo?

Let them get their gameplay down. Graphics will come. THQ has all about focusing too much on presentation and polishing turds.

THQ: Shopping for fancy rims. Only problem, the wheels are triangular, and they market it as 'revolutionary.'

If 2K wants to give us circular wheels, I don't care if they look stock or not. Priorities. Graphics don't make a game, otherwise we wouldn't still be putting in No Mercy, Fire Pro, or Here Comes the Pain.

I have faith in 2K... NBA series is absurdly good. They know how to model realistic human player characters in games. Maybe they were rushed to put out that trailer, I don't know. Either way hopefully they'll be more likely to have their poo poo together than THQ ever was. THQ was usually like "OH poo poo WE FORGOT TO MAKE A DEMO THIS YEAR LOL"

RudoReels fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 26, 2013

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Lets not focus only on NBA2k, MLB2k games are hot garbage behind MLB The Show.

However, it sounds like 2K will give Yukes a budget greater than the :10bux: THQ gave them and actually pay the WWE, so it can only mean good things.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 26, 2013

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Wwe2k14 will be the windows vista, 2k15 will be the windows 7 :)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

simosimo posted:

Wwe2k14 will be the windows vista, 2k15 will be the windows 7 :)

Yeah, I'm considering this year's entry a write-off. At best, it might hint towards what 2K really wants to do with the series next year.

I'm definitely not pre-ordering, unless someone offers a huge trade in bonus so I can get rid of some of my old games.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

RudoReels posted:

Guys...you're complaining about graphics...but really...
What's worse: a poor looking game that plays smoothly, or a polished, sharp looking game that plays like poo poo?

Except its still yukes so it is hard to have any faith this will happen. The good versions of their games are good in spite of themselves.

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

Hey guys. I have a couple of extra Steam Trading Card beta invites. If anyone is interested just let me know.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Hiram posted:

Hey guys. I have a couple of extra Steam Trading Card beta invites. If anyone is interested just let me know.

I think the Trading Card thing is open to the public now, or at least it will be very, very soon.

Edit: Yeah it leaves beta today.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Jack Krauser posted:

These guys make 250k a year?!

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

triplexpac posted:

I think the Trading Card thing is open to the public now, or at least it will be very, very soon.

Edit: Yeah it leaves beta today.

Well then. Isn't that just how about everything goes when it comes to beta with me. :argh:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Hiram posted:

Well then. Isn't that just how about everything goes when it comes to beta with me. :argh:

At least you'll get the special emote for being a part of the beta :unsmith:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I'm still not exactly sure what the cards even do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!

Hiram posted:

Might be late to the party, but my Steam ID is RudoReels. Also If anyone would like to add me feel free. I don't do much on it just yet, waiting for some good sales.

• Locked thread