Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
You could always run a pipecleaner through it a few times to scrub the inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I GOT MY KEG!
(and stir plate)

I cannot wait for this beer to finish now.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Clean your spigots!

I had a batch of wheat beer that went undrinkably sour from what I believe to be an infection.

I detected a note of the same sour flavor in the brown ale that I bottled the week after the terrible wheat batch.

I examined all my bottling equipment and found that the valve on my bottling spigot still had some sticky residue on it. I am guessing that is where my infection problem comes from.

I had been cleaning the bucket, running soapy water through the spigot after brewing and then running sanitizer through the spigot at bottling time. This was clearly not enough.

Is it possible to use the same kind of ball valve I have on my mash tun for my bottling bucket? I would like to be able to completely disassemble after every use.

This kind of ball valve:
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=ball%20valve&category_id=0&product_id=128

Also, am I the only person that sanitizes the hydrometer and puts it in the fermenter for gravity readings? It seems like I can do a better job cleaning and sanitizing the hydrometer than I could with a turkey baster or wine thief. Plus no beer wasting.

I think its not just putting the thief / turkey baster in the beer, its more so having the the top off for longer and then trying to fish it out the carboy/demijohn. :(

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Fluo posted:

I think its not just putting the thief / turkey baster in the beer, its more so having the the top off for longer and then trying to fish it out the carboy/demijohn. :(

Plus you don't get an accurate reading if you don't degas your hydrometer sample. You should slosh it between two pint glasses twenty times to degas the sample and get an accurate reading.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

Plus you don't get an accurate reading if you don't degas your hydrometer sample. You should slosh it between two pint glasses twenty times to degas the sample and get an accurate reading.

Marshmallow Blue learned something.

Edit: spelling :negative:

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Josh Wow posted:

I would never have thought of this.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
how significant is the difference in gravity readings? Also wouldn't you have to wait a while for all the sloshing bubbles to go away before you can take your reading (since the bubbles cling to the hydrometer and can lift it up (or so I've heard)).

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

Marshmallow Blue posted:

how significant is the difference in gravity readings? Also wouldn't you have to wait a while for all the sloshing bubbles to go away before you can take your reading (since the bubbles cling to the hydrometer and can lift it up (or so I've heard)).

It's pretty negligible unless you're fermenting under pressure in a keg or something. Water carbonated to 2.5 volumes will have a specific gravity of about 1.005, so it's worth letting a bottled and carbonated beer go flat if you want to measure it.

Say you had 1 volume of residual carbonation in solution after fermentation,, that would account for a gravity difference of about 0.002ish higher. Pouring it between a few glasses isn't going to do that much to a residual level of carbonation though, you need a lab ultrasonic bath to properly decarbonate a solution.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

Is it possible to use the same kind of ball valve I have on my mash tun for my bottling bucket? I would like to be able to completely disassemble after every use.

What kind of spigot do you have now? I have this kind and I take it apart and clean it every time, even using an old toothbrush to get into as many of the threads and corners as possible. The on/off lever will come out too if you pull up on it firmly.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Bobsledboy posted:

you need a lab ultrasonic bath to properly decarbonate a solution.

I enjoy a good ultasonic bath with some rose-water every once in a while. It really rejuvenates and refreshes. And de-carbonates my goddamn beer farts.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Other methods of decarbonating a sample I have used: cover and shake, leave standing, stir with hydrometer.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Throw your hydrometer across the room, take a sip, use your mind to figure out the ABV by how "hot" it tastes. this is the best and only way for accurate abvs. I use this method, and ALL of my big beers end up at exactly 21.9% ABV to a T. Works every time. I've never got an abv wrong guys.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My roommate showed me an article recently where they were claiming that HOMEBREW WILL KILL YOU DEAD - which isn't really a new kind of eyerolling sensationalism surrounding the hobby, but their reasoning in this piece was something like "Homebrewers can't accurately calculate the ABV of their beer (like commercial breweries) so you never truly know how much alcohol you're consuming".

While I guess that's technically true, good lord. Fake edit: I wrote a long thing but you all know why this is retarded so I deleted it.

Anyway, my homebrew club is looking to get new t-shirts and I was volunteered to work on some designs (even though I'm a terrible graphic designer). If anyone has any inspiration that I can easily rip off don't hesitate to post it or send me a PM!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

My roommate showed me an article recently where they were claiming that HOMEBREW WILL KILL YOU DEAD - which isn't really a new kind of eyerolling sensationalism surrounding the hobby, but their reasoning in this piece was something like "Homebrewers can't accurately calculate the ABV of their beer (like commercial breweries) so you never truly know how much alcohol you're consuming".

Yeah don't you know! It's the give or take .5% that really kills you when you drink such a quantity. I'd like ot read this article just for laughs sometime though

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

I'd love to see how they react to my gross bubbly brett/lacto/pedio infected carboys.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

internet celebrity posted:

I'd love to see how they react to my gross bubbly brett/lacto/pedio infected carboys.

"Homebrewers sometimes brew things that look like chemical or biological weapons. These pictures come from an underground homebrewer who cultured bacteria just like a rogue terrorist could have cultured smallpox or ebola. It is unknown whether this homebrewer has been taken into custody, or even if he's still alive."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

internet celebrity posted:

Who needs pictures of the fringe when a word picture of the norm would be more than enough: we are letting barley tea rot such that it makes tastey addictive poison.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Now I'm all thirsty for some sweet, sweet poison.

I'm not sure, at this point, whether it's a good thing or a bad one that I work from home.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

If I worked from home, I'd have a lot more beer going... and also drunk and poorer. It's probably for the best I don't. :thumbsup:

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 25, 2013

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Sup, work from home - I, um, "test" my beer often; "baby asleep? I could have beer with lunch, ya know for science though. I'll write tasting notes."

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My girlfriend's daughter finally learned her ABC's, so I can now send her to the fridge to get me "the bottle that says 'IPA' on top" or whatever my 2-3 letter codes are. Wish potty training was that easy.

This t-shirt thing is driving me crazy. Just threw this design out to the club: http://i.imgur.com/qLrMmRE.jpg and was immediately notified that I recreated the Nintendo seal of quality. Ooof.

e: Okay not really, but now I can't unsee it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Pretty sure the correct answer is a shirt with HOMEBREW WILL KILL YOU DEAD on the back. Maybe a Mr. Yuck or a skull and crossbones on the front. Or a sloshed smiley face.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Best homebrew club motto ever, courtesy of zedprime:

zedprime posted:

I [...] make poison to drink for fun.

vvvv Maybe with the Budweiser bowtie logo in place of the cassette - keep the crossed bones underneath.

HOME BREWING IS KILLING BEER

(bowtie)
(crossed bones)

... and it's delicious

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 25, 2013

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Splizwarf posted:

Pretty sure the correct answer is a shirt with HOMEBREW WILL KILL YOU DEAD on the back. Maybe a Mr. Yuck or a skull and crossbones on the front. Or a sloshed smiley face.

Along those lines, a parody of this:

Something like "HOME BREWING IS KILLING BMC (and it's delicious)"

And a little background on that can be found here

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gonna stencil a Mr Yuk on my tap tower to keep all those squares from drinking my beer. This may be the inspiration I need to finally put it together.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Oh, if we're going down that road, go for the supervillain, not the henchmen.

Front:
HOME BREWING IS KILLING INBEV

Back:
DO YOUR PART, CITIZEN! ENLIST TODAY!

and then a silk-screened silhouette of a blocky three-tier hot tank/mash tank/boiler stand like this (not mine):

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 26, 2013

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
For those of you that were talking about a Chocolate Wheat a couple of pages back, if you can get access to Short's Brewing Company beer, try out this bad boy: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9629/17909

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I was doing an INCREDIBLY simple recipe.
5lb of Wheat DME
2oz of Fuggles hitting about 15-20IBUs
US-05 fermented at about 64°

Once it is done I'd rack it on top of 4lb of frozen raspberries (probably just buying frozen ones at the grocery) and wait about a week before crashing it.
I will put some pectic enzyme and acid blend in there too. (Maybe about 1/2 a teaspoon of acid blend? Really not much)

I did a 2.5gallon test batch almost exactly scaled down from this and it was amazingly delicious. It is obviously very light in alcohol (and body) and was really a sit out side and drink 2 or 3 because you didn't realize you had finished it so fast type of beer.
The #s I used in the test batch was 0.75lb of raspberries per gallon but I figured I'd 'round up' to 4lb from 3.75.
That worked out to a definitely raspberry-ey beer without being too tart or overwhelming. It definitely overpowers most of the wheat beer flavors, but is muted by them at the same time? Dunno, its basically my summer beer instead of making a cream ale or something similar.

@Mashmallow I will definitely do that actually...just in the NEXT brew of this. I have a house warming party coming up that I need this batch for :)

I am also considering doing that boil with a bit of DME method that someone mentioned in the past couple of pages, but figure for at least this go it was so tasty that I might as well just re-do my process.

Brewing this right now. Unless something catastrophic happens, this is going to be my easiest batch yet. DME rules.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sirotan posted:

Brewing this right now. Unless something catastrophic happens, this is going to be my easiest batch yet. DME rules.

:) Just don't get too drunk like I did and drop things into the wort.
Yeaaah.

I'm adding my raspberries probably tomorrow and CLEANING MY KEG FOR WHEN ITS READY (god I'm far too excited about this keg)

But seriously though, good luck!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

:) Just don't get too drunk like I did and drop things into the wort.
Yeaaah.

I'm adding my raspberries probably tomorrow and CLEANING MY KEG FOR WHEN ITS READY (god I'm far too excited about this keg)

But seriously though, good luck!

Beer is done and I cleaned up and it all took less than 3 hours!! Just waiting to pitch the yeast right before I go to bed so it can cool down a bit more. (Brief moment of panic while re-reading my post, I thought I had forgotten to add the pectic enzyme or acid blend, but that's not until secondary!)

Have you ever made it with other fruit? If I had smaller buckets I would split up the wort in secondary and do a blackberry wheat, blueberry wheat, strawberry wheat...

Edit: When you add the frozen raspberries, did you do anything to them? I was planning to just open the bags and dumping them in...

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 26, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sirotan posted:

Have you ever made it with other fruit? If I had smaller buckets I would split up the wort in secondary and do a blackberry wheat, blueberry wheat, strawberry wheat...

Edit: When you add the frozen raspberries, did you do anything to them? I was planning to just open the bags and dumping them in...

Have not made it with other fruit but I wanted to try blackberry and cranberry this summer.
First time I racked onto frozen berries (it obviously worked), this time I'm going to sanitize my secondary and stuff and put the frozen raspberries in it the night before. Let them warm up in it so its not so much cold hitting the yeast at once.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

fullroundaction posted:

My roommate showed me an article recently where they were claiming that HOMEBREW WILL KILL YOU DEAD

<snip>

Anyway, my homebrew club is looking to get new t-shirts
Late to the party on this one, but maybe a silhouette of some barley stalks with "CEREAL KILLER" underneath?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Splizwarf posted:

You exist! How are things?

I have some beer you need to try.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Northern Brewer is offering a free pint glass with a purchase of a white house honey ale / honey porter beer kit. Since my ale is going over so well, i took it as a sign to get the honey porter since i was looking towards my next beer.

i love it when the fates decide things for me

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aww, man, I just bought that kit a couple weeks ago. :(

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I wish NB didn't raise their prices on shipping so much. They were my go-to e-HBS, now I have to split up my purchases across 2 or three different shops to not spend an extra $25 on shipping.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Aww, man, I just bought that kit a couple weeks ago. :(

buy another?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
im already going to mix the instructions up a little. honey added to the START of a 60 min boil? what is the point ?

I have extra hops coming for my hopped cider experiment, so i have the option of mixing that up too.

Experimentation is fun!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Roundboy posted:

im already going to mix the instructions up a little. honey added to the START of a 60 min boil? what is the point ?

I have extra hops coming for my hopped cider experiment, so i have the option of mixing that up too.

Experimentation is fun!

don't you dare boil your honey. Is that what the kit says to do? You're going to cook off oodles of aroma.

Also how much honey did they give you? I used 3lbs in my honey ale and it really slashed the bitterness from the hops, so using more hops might be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Anyone have a go-to source for kegging equipment? I'm assuming kegconnection.com but just wanted to see what else was out there.