Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
So I played cleric for a full day, died because I got lost and a skeleton beat me to death, and then deleted the cleric out of rage and madness, vowing to quit.

A week later i reconsider playing again. gently caress me :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^

Spudsly posted:

Human, you've made a wise choice. I had a human bard on Live but because I'm dumb I've made elves on all the emu servers.

You'll quickly get addicted to AE kiting, I suspect.

For AE kiting you'll basically just want Denon's horn and jboots (10k total, less if you can camp the jboots). You can be otherwise naked. If you want, you can get some MR (you will agro casters sometimes and they will try and root you!). Some people don't use jboots but it really is the best option in my opinion. Selos is too fast (more speed -> tighter circles -> less forgiving) and takes up a song slot that could be used trying to reapply dots which is important when you are picking up deep reds in your kite or just generically to increase dot uptime. You will also never die because you forgot to put it up, didn't realize you missed that note etc. Also you'll be happy you have jboots every single time you go inside.

I could only afford one of those, I think. At what level are Jboots camp-able?

edit: Wait, isn't Denon's Horn no drop?

Nilbog Resident fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 17, 2013

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Nilbog Resident posted:

I could only afford one of those, I think. At what level are Jboots camp-able?

edit: Wait, isn't Denon's Horn no drop?

Sorry I meant McVaxius... whatever the name of the one from Vox is.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
The alternative to jboots is strafe kiting, which you can start at level 2, or weighing yourself down while playing selo's. I don't think people actually kite with selo's if they are unencumbered, it would be way too fast.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I'll be god damned. Maybe that was why I always sucked so bad at it when I used to try it. I always twisted Selo's unencumbered. I just absolutely could not nail the turns and hit the mobs without getting slammed unless I got really lucky.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Nilbog Resident posted:

I'll be god damned. Maybe that was why I always sucked so bad at it when I used to try it. I always twisted Selo's unencumbered. I just absolutely could not nail the turns and hit the mobs without getting slammed unless I got really lucky.

On sleepers I was using selo's unencumbered and it was generally pretty easy. I just put on auto run and held right click and D and would strafe away from my counter clockwise circles. I've stopped playing at 28 though so I didn't have the super super high selos. Drovlargs in FV are insane fun though. So many.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
There's something wrong on sleepers with strafe or mob run speed or something. I gave up when I found out you couldn't strafe kite on there, it requires you to have a movement speed buff. The problem might actually make it easier to kite with higher level selo's though dunno.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I'm at level 10 now, what's a good zone to practice AOE kiting relatively safely in? I've heard it's really easiest to wait until 18 for the DOT with wider range, so I also might just do that.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Before 18 you have to use this method: http://wiki.project1999.org/Hmotzart%27s_Hmasterpiece_of_Hmass_AoE_Hmurder

It works pretty much anywhere, I've done it in CB before even. And you don't really need that big of circles even though his guide says it.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I can't even fathom how you could do that in a zone like CB. :stare:

Thanks for the guide.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
I think at level 10 I did nro (bugs and whatever else). I ran circles around the little camp at the interface between the sand and the grass. And yeah, on Sleeper run speed is wrong, mobs are too fast. The trade off is that melee range is SUPER forgiving,

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
28 PHs, about 9 or 10 hours later and Raster of Guk has allowed me to take my first step on the path towards epic dorkdom.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Congrats. Welcome to the exclusive club of people who can't believe they spent time doing this poo poo AGAIN on an emulated EQ server. Now just hope your pipe camps aren't too bad.

Did you at least get a few levels out of the deal?

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I camped raster three times to get the epic and both robes.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Any goons online right now? I made my way to the EC tunnel and could use an invite to the guild... and anything you'd be willing to part with the help me through these painful low levels.

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.
i'll be on daaz all day today... anyone wanna help me catch up to my (recently ip cleared) 23 brother? i'm 16. heh. Or come hang out in unrest with me!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Finishing up moving this weekend, then I'll be available again to help out, pass out guild tags, etc.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Question:

Do stats actually matter in this game?

I played a Shaman circa 1999-2001 and I remember getting the distinct feeling that all those agility/dexterity/strength/charisma/stamina buffs did virtually nothing. Maybe stamina slightly buffed HP?

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I'm not sure just how important all the other stats are, but I know once when a 60 Shaman gave me an obscene STR buff I'm pretty sure I didn't hit for less than maximum damage a single time.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Nilbog Resident posted:

I'm not sure just how important all the other stats are, but I know once when a 60 Shaman gave me an obscene STR buff I'm pretty sure I didn't hit for less than maximum damage a single time.
Your memory is a bit hazy then. :)

Perhaps what you remember is getting the Avatar buff, which gives the following:

Increase ATK by 100
Increase AGI by 100
Increase STR by 100
Increase DEX by 100

The only part of that which can increase the damage on your hits is ATK, which will make you notice that you're hitting for your max damage more often, as your high(er) ATK is being rolled against the mob's AC.

STR never really did much for melee damage. A developer in April 2000 said this:

quote:

determines how much you can carry; influences maximum and average damage; influences how quickly you learn many offensive skills
STR buffs seem to increase your ATK, but this is misleading, as ATK is just a combined number consisting both of your accuracy and change to get high damage rolls. My assumption is that it works like the avoidance part of AC, i.e. makes your miss less, up to a certain point.

oswald ownenstein: The effect of old stats in old EQ were always speculative and misleading. The only ones people really knew about, and had a noticable effect were STA, which gave hitpoints, and WIS/INT, which gave mana for casters. I'll present you a screenshot of an article on a website I'm working on about EQ, about stats, which has all I could find of old info plus my own judgements. An extra cherry on top of the confusion pie is the fact that P1999 is emulated and customized by the P1999 team, based on unknown or speculative data, so you're pretty much screwed. :) Maybe one could ask the P1999 and/or EQEmu team, as they have the code that makes it work.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

oswald ownenstein posted:

Do stats actually matter in this game?
Here's a page with mostly good info on stats, though some minor things are wrong both for classic EQ as well as P99:
http://wiki.project1999.org/Stats

Here's the quick and dirty:

STA = HP
STR = melee damage/max carry weight
INT = mana if you're NEC/WIZ/ENC/MAG/BRD/SK, magic and non-combat skills learning rate if higher than wis
WIS = mana if you're CLR/DRU/SHM/PAL/RNG, magic and non-combat skills learning rate if higher than int
DEX = proc rate, crit rate, less missed notes as a bard, offensive combat/rogue skills learning rate
AGI = avoidance AC (extremely minor effect once above 75), defensive combat skills learning rate
CHA = prices at merchants, helps with charm/lull spell resists/duration/critical failures as well as Divine Intervention success rates

As a shaman, you should buff STA for anyone who really needs a bigger HP pool (tanks and CC classes in groups, everyone on raids), STR for anyone doing melee damage, DEX for anyone relying on procs, CHA on anyone charming or using lull spells, and AGI only on the main tank and only if you have mana coming out your ears and desperately want to have another buff to keep track of.
Part of the problem with getting good info about stats in classic EQ is that most of the devs either had no idea what they were talking about or were intentionally misinforming players in order to keep the mechanics hidden as they were intended to be. Both of these things have been documented. Most of the reliable information came from people painstakingly reverse engineering the game mechanics with extremely large parses or leaks of information from the few devs in the know later on in the game's lifetime.

I can confidently say that you're wrong about STR. STR has an independent role in a number of damage calculations in addition to influencing the ATK stat (which plays its own role in damage calcs) both in classic EQ and on P99 and other emulators, though it most obviously shows up in backstab damage for rogues due to the size of the numbers involved. This is (and was also back in the day) pretty easy to demonstrate with parses. The short version is that higher STR results in higher max damage while higher ATK results in more hits closer to your max damage, and since STR does meaningfully contribute to ATK, it ultimately does both. More info can be found here: http://wiki.project1999.org/Game_Mechanics#Melee_Combat_and_Damage though I am relying on my memory of running a ton of parses and helping reverse engineer the backstab calc with some fellow Safehouse folks back in Kunark and Velious.

Most of the other stuff I included on my summary list is also pretty easily demonstrable with large stat (50+ point) disparities - the tricky part is figuring out the tiny details, like how much CHA is really helpful for charming, or whether buying a set of int/wis jewelry will actually save you money when practicing tradeskills. It's also clear that there are some penalties in various parts of the game mechanics for having extremely low stats, so keeping things above 75 is a good idea if you're doing something that involves a particular stat.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Interesting links, love seeing the formulas. :) Just a shame they're emulated, I'd kill for a copy of the real EQ source code...

Regarding STR influencing ATK, I am 100% certain that 1 STR does not give 1 real ATK, unless they've botched it on EQEmu. I clearly remember (Velious era) how massive a buff it was to get a ranger ATK buff, whereas old STR buffs didn't give the same effect. You have to remember that the AC and ATK values we still to this day see in the UI are compounded values, with two real numbers behind them. The false ATK that STR seems to give is really meaningless.

It's odd that I don't recall STR influencing max damage, and I even played a rogue where I knew my max hits and max backstabs by heart. 503 was the max BS with a 15 DMG Ragebringer, and I don't recall anything ever increasing it. It must have been because I always had maxed STR.

Regarding DEX, I've searched and searched and I have simply never seen anything conclusive evidence that DEX did anthing. I've never seen a parse that provided even remotely conclusive evidence. The "best" I've found are some people saying that "maybe if you parse long enough you'll find that more DEX will give you 0.000166783% more proc rates". Eh.

I know CHA had an effect, although I have already read a developer quote saying that its role in charming was tiny, dwarfed by level and MR. Still might be worth buffing if you're charming, mezzing or lulling.

The learning rates were just impossible in practice to parse, I guess.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Another question for you guys, is it frowned upon or illegal to buy PP?

I don't have a ton of time, so I wouldn't mind dropping some RL cash to someone who poopsocks this game 24/7 but doesn't have a job for some plat.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Illegal? Eh, no idea, I'm not a lawyer. You won't go to jail for it regardless, not realistically.

But is it allowed on the server? Absolutely not. If you get caught, you'll get banned.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

xZAOx posted:

Illegal? Eh, no idea, I'm not a lawyer. You won't go to jail for it regardless, not realistically.

But is it allowed on the server? Absolutely not. If you get caught, you'll get banned.

Oh that's what I meant. I didn't see it on the 1999 wiki, I must have missed it. Thankyou.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Speaking of buying platinum:

I've sold a ton to a lot of people in this thread. I have 1 million++ left and a bunch of items. I haven't played the game in 2 years. PM me and we'll work something out.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Being the healer/buffer for a group is horrible. You got caster's calling out for STR/AC/Etc when, at least at that stage of your char's life, you can really only heal pull to pull. Its not the difficulty to everybody buffed, or getting buffs to people that they shouldn't need, its having those people demand them and ignoring your mana pool.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I had a blast playing this back in the day. Wish I had time to devote to it once again.

Was a bard named Cunning Linguist. Wonder if I still have that account or if it got wiped.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Pilsner posted:

Interesting links, love seeing the formulas. :) Just a shame they're emulated, I'd kill for a copy of the real EQ source code...

Regarding STR influencing ATK, I am 100% certain that 1 STR does not give 1 real ATK, unless they've botched it on EQEmu. I clearly remember (Velious era) how massive a buff it was to get a ranger ATK buff, whereas old STR buffs didn't give the same effect. You have to remember that the AC and ATK values we still to this day see in the UI are compounded values, with two real numbers behind them. The false ATK that STR seems to give is really meaningless.

It's odd that I don't recall STR influencing max damage, and I even played a rogue where I knew my max hits and max backstabs by heart. 503 was the max BS with a 15 DMG Ragebringer, and I don't recall anything ever increasing it. It must have been because I always had maxed STR.

Regarding DEX, I've searched and searched and I have simply never seen anything conclusive evidence that DEX did anthing. I've never seen a parse that provided even remotely conclusive evidence. The "best" I've found are some people saying that "maybe if you parse long enough you'll find that more DEX will give you 0.000166783% more proc rates". Eh.

I know CHA had an effect, although I have already read a developer quote saying that its role in charming was tiny, dwarfed by level and MR. Still might be worth buffing if you're charming, mezzing or lulling.

The learning rates were just impossible in practice to parse, I guess.

STR absolutely effects max damage. The easiest way to notice this is you hit for 2x weapon damage forever and then somewhere in your early/mid 20's an str buff will bump it up 1. Right before you're getting your first damage bonus I believe. It's also easy to notice how well you hit with an Ogre with all points dumped into STR vs an Erudite or something.

It's interesting to see how little most stats actually did though.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Being the healer/buffer for a group is horrible. You got caster's calling out for STR/AC/Etc when, at least at that stage of your char's life, you can really only heal pull to pull. Its not the difficulty to everybody buffed, or getting buffs to people that they shouldn't need, its having those people demand them and ignoring your mana pool.

I remember back on live as an enchanter in an exp group casters would ALWAYS ask for wis/int buffs and it really aggravated me. Because I don't know how to pick my battles I'd always get into it "Are you sitting around at full mana a lot? How do you anticipate this buff will change our rate of exp gain?"

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

I remember playing with my shaman in a group full of mashers in Dreadlands outside Karnor's Castle. We were killing pulls in less than 15 seconds. The cleric I was grouped with complained that I wasn't slowing, and I tried to explain to her the uselessness of such a thing, but she promptly notified the group of how bad I was at my class. She knew this, of course, because she had a level 60 shaman. Harumph!

I don't remember what the outcome of her spat was, but I'm pretty sure it was 'who cares?' from the 3-4 melee dudes we had in the party.

smuggler fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 7, 2013

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Loving this. It's nothing like some low pop emulated server of other games - this game is teeming with people all over the place and is very active.

It's basically like playing a live EQ server around 2000-2001 which was on the lower end of population (but still very populated, just not quite as bloated as say Veeshan)

And frankly I'm amazed at how enjoyable this game is after all these years. I always thought I could never go back after playing WoW, but I'm hooked again.

If only SOE would make a remake of EQ1 keeping the vast majority of mechanics intact so that the game still feels like EQ, with art clearly modeled after EQ1 instead of the plastic crap they have on live/EQ2.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Some posters named Naez and 10man are (somehow) redirecting people on the p99 forums right now. Redirects to a Unity EQ Browser, but people are claiming it is a keylogger. I'd avoid those forums until the problem is fixed, to protect your precious pixels.

Kren
May 11, 2005
I'm in as Glowerin the level 6 5 Iksar Shaman after dying and logging last night.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there a server like Project 1999 but doesn't require you to do corpse runs when you die?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Loving this. It's nothing like some low pop emulated server of other games - this game is teeming with people all over the place and is very active.

It's basically like playing a live EQ server around 2000-2001 which was on the lower end of population (but still very populated, just not quite as bloated as say Veeshan)

And frankly I'm amazed at how enjoyable this game is after all these years. I always thought I could never go back after playing WoW, but I'm hooked again.

If only SOE would make a remake of EQ1 keeping the vast majority of mechanics intact so that the game still feels like EQ, with art clearly modeled after EQ1 instead of the plastic crap they have on live/EQ2.

Soe runes EQMac go checkout that thread

Kren
May 11, 2005
So, any of you retirees have any twink gear you would let some of us new players borrow for a few levels (or until we replace them)? The twink scene on this server is crazy. I've been denied groups because I wasn't a twink :(

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Does it have the original splash screen and midis?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

No More Heroes posted:

Does it have the original splash screen
You can use whichever splash screen you want, you just need to choose the correct options when using Duxa's installer or you can manually copy some files into some directories to make it work. I'm using the Kunark splash screen as that's the expansion the server is currently on.
You can use the classic MIDI for everything rather than the mp3s again by choosing the correct options when installing, or by manually deleting the offending mp3 files in your install directory. The software MIDI isn't exactly right but if you use this soundfont it will be pretty drat close to what Classic EQ sounded like if you had an AWE32 back in the day: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81207&highlight=midi

Kren, I'd be happy to help you out with some gear/plat. What's your character's name and class and when are you usually online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kren
May 11, 2005

quote:

Kren, I'd be happy to help you out with some gear/plat. What's your character's name and class and when are you usually online?

Glowerin - Iksar Shaman. I'm typically online in the evenings EST.

• Locked thread