Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So how does discouraging vassals from joining a faction work? Do I need to put my Spymaster in the faction leader's province or somwhere else? And does it remove vassals who are already in the faction or just discourage non-faction members from actually joining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

So how does discouraging vassals from joining a faction work? Do I need to put my Spymaster in the faction leader's province or somwhere else? And does it remove vassals who are already in the faction or just discourage non-faction members from actually joining?

You use his espionage score to stab them one by one.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

You use his espionage score to stab them one by one.

But I like having money.

Hazmat Sam
Dec 25, 2010

The dead do not "get high"
If you plop them in the capital then yes, sometimes your spymaster will give you an event to blackmail people out of factions they've joined, but that's happened to me all of once in my entire time playing. Scheme to catch rear end in a top hat siblings trying to :ese: you, not to stop factions.

And just plot faction leaders dead,you have plenty of time. before they revolt. Assassinations are for short term problems like goddamn adventurers.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
So I picked this up months and months ago and liked the whole idea of the game but unfortunately I had no clue how to play it.

Any good recommendations of videos explaining how to play it?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Hazmat Sam posted:

If you plop them in the capital then yes, sometimes your spymaster will give you an event to blackmail people out of factions they've joined, but that's happened to me all of once in my entire time playing. Scheme to catch rear end in a top hat siblings trying to :ese: you, not to stop factions.

And just plot faction leaders dead,you have plenty of time. before they revolt. Assassinations are for short term problems like goddamn adventurers.

I remember having the event to discourage a vassal (where you get the choice of basically using your best stat to make him do so). But that was in CK2+ ages ago, even before Republic I think, and I couldn't remember how I did it or even if it triggered against people already in the faction.

Wouldn't killing the faction leader just make someone else become leader?

Alos, how in the hell is it possible that people with ~50 relations with me join an independence faction?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

I remember having the event to discourage a vassal (where you get the choice of basically using your best stat to make him do so). But that was in CK2+ ages ago, even before Republic I think, and I couldn't remember how I did it or even if it triggered against people already in the faction.

Wouldn't killing the faction leader just make someone else become leader?

Alos, how in the hell is it possible that people with ~50 relations with me join an independence faction?

Killing strong faction members is good, because it weakens the the faction overall.

The faction members will join at less than 60 relations, but if you can bribe them up to 80, they will leave. I keep a war chest and honorary titles to bribe borderline members back to my side.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Killing strong faction members is good, because it weakens the the faction overall.

The faction members will join at less than 60 relations, but if you can bribe them up to 80, they will leave. I keep a war chest and honorary titles to bribe borderline members back to my side.

So if I get them up to 80 they leave instantly? That's good to know
And here I was thinking that any relation above 30 or so is actually quite good and the corresponding vassal likes me! Oh well.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

So if I get them up to 80 they leave instantly? That's good to know
And here I was thinking that any relation above 30 or so is actually quite good and the corresponding vassal likes me! Oh well.

There are certain factions that are less like crown authority, but the most dangerous ones (succession and independence) are both around 80.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Is there a console command for moral authority? its impossible to conquer the last to Norse holy places, and my king is getting up there in years

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Use "give_title b_(name of the holy place) (your character id)" this will give your char the holding and thus increase your moral authority by 10% (if it was not already held by someone of your religion). After that use the same command to give the title to the de jure count, he will then create a priest vassal and it will nearly be the same.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Awesome. Erh, how do I find my character ID?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nuclear War posted:

Awesome. Erh, how do I find my character ID?

charinfo 1

Then hover over your portrait.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

I'm still not getting and Im starting to think I might be retarded. this is what I write, without the "'s: "give_title b_(Bishopric of Tholen) (505860)"

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

SkySteak posted:

Crossposting this from the Paradox thread:

Spent way too much time trying to get this right. :negative: Still, I should really start making more historic rulers in the Ruler Designer.

You may want to double check the spelling of the name, considering the 'too much time' you spent.

Does anyone know how I can edit a save to change the tech level in a county? I've established Gotland as a merchant republic vassal in my current Old Gods Sweden game, but need to get them at least two levels of Trade Practice which is going to take ages if I'm forced to do it through neighbourly spread.

EDIT:

Nuclear War posted:

I'm still not getting and Im starting to think I might be retarded. this is what I write, without the "'s: "give_title b_(Bishopric of Tholen) (505860)"

You need to write: give_title [land you want] [charid]

With no brackets, punctuation marks or anything else.

So in your case, give_title b_tholen 505860

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 26, 2013

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

SkySteak posted:

Crossposting this from the Paradox thread:

Spent way too much time trying to get this right. :negative: Still, I should really start making more historic rulers in the Ruler Designer.

Cruel? Arbitrary?

Get out Sir. :colbert:

Also you seem to be missing Carlisle.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Trauma Tank posted:

You may want to double check the spelling of the name, considering the 'too much time' you spent.

I knew I'd gently caress up somewhere. :smith:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Daeren posted:

Just let it happen :banjo:

More seriously, try marrying off your relatives before landing them next time so you don't get the Hapsburg problem.

I have a worse problem, in that they're all constantly squabbling over their lands because they're in different de jure kingdoms, so they can still infight!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I just figured out a couple days ago that, in certain situations, when there's a vassal uprising to support a claim on one of your titles you can just imprison and execute the vassal who holds the claim to end the war. It seems like this shouldn't be an option or should be much more difficult? Maybe it should be something that involves intrigue?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

tadashi posted:

I just figured out a couple days ago that, in certain situations, when there's a vassal uprising to support a claim on one of your titles you can just imprison and execute the vassal who holds the claim to end the war. It seems like this shouldn't be an option or should be much more difficult? Maybe it should be something that involves intrigue?

Usually the claimant is in court of one of the rebels so you can't imprison him, if he was dumb enough to stay in your court he doesn't deserve the title

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nolanar posted:

This can solve itself depending on your succession law. If they're on gavelkind, multiple kids will stabilize things. If you're on elective, just nominate their heir and co-opt their progress entirely! If you're on Primogeniture or something else, your main goal will be to wait for superdukes to form, then plot to revoke a secondary ducal title. They'll probably rebel, in which case you get the duchy and get to revoke another title for treason.

I just wait until my ruler is old with something ridiculous like +40 long reign and go revoke poo poo as I please while eating the tyranny penalty. Can usually handle 2 or 3 -20 hits before it becomes an issue.

Alternatively, switch to seniority and re-consolidate all of your dynasty's poo poo and hand it back out. Just have to be careful with big dynasties as you can get stuck in permanent seniority with no single ruler being able to make 10 years of rule to switch succession back. This can also be used to consolidate your holdings with a cadet branch somewhere outside your realm.

Though at least it presents the interesting opportunity of stabbing older relatives instead of 0 year olds for a change as you try to kill off the oldest members of your dynasty so someone younger and capable of living 10 years can inherit. :corsair:

It can easily get to the point where you want to join your vassals petition for elective monarchy.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Hmmm Seniority would be an interesting choice to unify the Karling Kingdoms in the 896 Start.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So I have the "casus belli" aspect of the game down...now, any one have advice on how to determine who my kids should marry?

For a hypothetical example, I'm the King of Ireland, seven southern counties, with 2 sons and 1 daughter. Who should I be marrying them off to?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CobiWann posted:

So I have the "casus belli" aspect of the game down...now, any one have advice on how to determine who my kids should marry?

For a hypothetical example, I'm the King of Ireland, seven southern counties, with 2 sons and 1 daughter. Who should I be marrying them off to?

marry your heir off to either a daughter of a nearby king or just some genius, quick or attractive woman or a similar age or younger. If your in gavelkind marry your younger son to some drooling idiot, old woman, celibate if you can get it as long as you get no alliance from the marriage, The daughter find a good alliance

Rumda fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 26, 2013

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Depends what you want to get out of it. If you want a strong ally in this hypothetical then marry your daughter to the heir of France or one of your extra sons to one of their extra daughters.

If you want to inherit someone else's lands and their eldest child is an umarried daughter and they don't have a lot of sons then marry your heir to her and try to kill her brother(s) after they're married. If you have them killed before they marry and the daughter becomes the heir they'll only matrilineally marry her. Eventually her heir will also be your heir and will inherit both kingdoms. I can't speak to how claims get inherited that way because usually I just stab everyone else in line instead of pressing claims in war.

What I usually do for the first few generations is just matrilineally marry all my daughters to courtiers just to expand my dynasty so I can put kin in the highest positions. I think all but one of my 10-15 dukes/kings in the game I've got going on now are of my dynasty. It's not hugely important but it boosts your dynasty prestige and gives a slight relations boost.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Sons should ideally either be married to someone which will result in them grabbing some titles, or to someone with superior stats/genetics. The inheritance is critical early, but later it's pretty important to get a good spouse for your heir as half of the wife's scores are added to your realm score (so a 20 diplo wife would grant 10 realm diplomacy). However, all bets are off if for example you notice that the king of England has some young unmarried daughters close in line to the throne. Marry your heir to the daughter highest in succession that they will accept and then get to stabbing everyone in line before her. Once she produces an heir, you will now have someone who will eventually become king of both her kingdom and yours.

Daughters on the other hand, are generally alliance fodder or can be matrilineally married to expand your dynasty. Try to keep daughters with good claims married inside your realm and to someone who won't become a problem in 20 years.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

Hmmm Seniority would be an interesting choice to unify the Karling Kingdoms in the 896 Start.

Works easily but leads to a rather boring game with a ruler who controls pretty much all of Europe within 100 years.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Am I supposed to still have the Invasion CB after forming the Kingdom of Hungary? Because this seems completely broken, within the first two decades I own everything from the Dniepr to Provence, and from Bavaria to Sicily. The starting king just died, but my heir still has a few thousand of the event troops, and can pull up almost 20k levies.

It's absolutely hilarious, but there is no way this is intended behavior.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Sons should ideally either be married to someone which will result in them grabbing some titles, or to someone with superior stats/genetics. The inheritance is critical early, but later it's pretty important to get a good spouse for your heir as half of the wife's scores are added to your realm score (so a 20 diplo wife would grant 10 realm diplomacy). However, all bets are off if for example you notice that the king of England has some young unmarried daughters close in line to the throne. Marry your heir to the daughter highest in succession that they will accept and then get to stabbing everyone in line before her. Once she produces an heir, you will now have someone who will eventually become king of both her kingdom and yours.

Daughters on the other hand, are generally alliance fodder or can be matrilineally married to expand your dynasty. Try to keep daughters with good claims married inside your realm and to someone who won't become a problem in 20 years.

I started in Ireland as a lot of people do and married my heir to the heir of England which eventually meant one of my heirs became king of both countries (after killing off all his brothers when their mother, queen of England, tried to press their claims on Ireland). Later, I married an heir to the queen of Scotland which would have resulted in him becoming king of everything but then he died. After my heir died, I got the title loss on succession message with my kingdoms being split between my grandson and oldest living son. I'm still trying to figure out how that worked? I guess it has something to do with succession laws in the kingdoms being different?

Also, is there any merit in trying to preserve a culture by only marrying people in your court of your culture to other people of the same culture? Is there any good way to try to expand your culture to neighboring lands?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

tadashi posted:

Also, is there any merit in trying to preserve a culture by only marrying people in your court of your culture to other people of the same culture? Is there any good way to try to expand your culture to neighboring lands?

As I understand it, the chances for a county to culture-flip to that of its ruler is based on its ruler's Stewardship score, so having decent Stewards of your culture installed as rulers of far-flung lands will, over time, spread your culture out. But it's a slow and undependable process.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

tadashi posted:

I started in Ireland as a lot of people do and married my heir to the heir of England which eventually meant one of my heirs became king of both countries (after killing off all his brothers when their mother, queen of England, tried to press their claims on Ireland). Later, I married an heir to the queen of Scotland which would have resulted in him becoming king of everything but then he died. After my heir died, I got the title loss on succession message with my kingdoms being split between my grandson and oldest living son. I'm still trying to figure out how that worked? I guess it has something to do with succession laws in the kingdoms being different?

That's probably what happened. You should get succession warnings before that occurs though. At the very least, assuming your ruler is even semi-effective, you can bump up authority and manage succession via elective until you can get authority high enough to switch to what you want.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Two questions

1) is there a way to destroy a title through the console?

I didn't realize creating the impact of creating Empire of Brittania when I already had Empire of Scandanavia

2) Let's say you've taken over the world. You are Emperor of The Medieval World

What is in your personal demense? What kingdom(s) and duchy(s) do you keep/

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

tadashi posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how that worked? I guess it has something to do with succession laws in the kingdoms being different?
As a general rule, always set your kingdoms to the same inheritance laws. What laws were you using?

tadashi posted:

Also, is there any merit in trying to preserve a culture by only marrying people in your court of your culture to other people of the same culture?
Relations between two people of different cultures take a penalty of either -10 (same culture group, like Swedish and Norwegian) or -20 (different culture groups, like Swedish and Kurdish), modified by the Cultural Flexibility technology. Maximum harmony comes from same culture/same religion realms, so yes, it's generally best to try and keep everyone one culture.

You don't really have to marry within the same culture, though: each character's starting culture is determined by the dominant parent (father if regular marriage, mother if matrilineal) and then has a chance of changing to their mentor's culture during education. Because you have a chance of changing culture during education, it can be useful to educate your wrong-culture vassals' heirs so that you have a chance of making more tractable future vassals.

tadashi posted:

Is there any good way to try to expand your culture to neighboring lands?
If by 'neighboring lands' you mean 'lands outside your realm', the best peaceful way is to marry their ruler's daughter and ensure the offspring inherits. Obviously, the best way is to beat them up and take their stuff :black101:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

crm posted:

Two questions

I didn't realize creating the impact of creating Empire of Brittania when I already had Empire of Scandanavia

Keep Flanders and Holland as demense since they are great with ocean access. For kingdoms, I hold onto whichever ones I have Merchant Republics under for those sweet ducats. Otherwise I just hand out everything as it simplifies raising levies/vassal management.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
What laws (levies/taxation) does everybody roll with? I see there's a giant mathematical breakdown of them on the paradox forums, but what do you guys generally find is best?

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

crm posted:

Two questions

To answer question 1: invite a new courtier to your court. give_title e_brittania [his character ID]. kill [his ID]

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

chunkles posted:

What laws (levies/taxation) does everybody roll with? I see there's a giant mathematical breakdown of them on the paradox forums, but what do you guys generally find is best?

My personal favorite is Min/Low(whichever first gives it, depending on if you run CK2+ or not) Feudal Tax, Max Feudal Levies, Max City Tax, Min City Levies, and High Church Tax/Levies. Only a -10/20 opinion penalty, which is easily taken care of, for a ton of tax and troops where it comes best.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

crm posted:

Two questions

With the new tech system, I usually take Constantinople as one duchy and then I'll usually take Nikaea for the other since they're right next to each other. In my last game, once I got my legalism up high enough I took Baghdad as my secondary duchy.

That also said, the new tech system has tech spread throughout your demense even if the counties are not contiguous with your capital. You can sort of set this up so that tech diffuses through your realm from two places rather than one.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

chunkles posted:

I tend to leave feudal tax alone - I want my vassals giving me armies, not money - and go for Severe Tax/Minimum Levies for Cities, Normal (starting) Tax/Minimum Levies for Churches.

I don't want troops from cities and temples - their troops tend to be mostly light infantry anyways - but I'll take plenty of gold from the cities. Temples are trickier, because their opinion of you determines whether they pay you any taxes at all, so the coins I might get by levying harsh taxes on them are offset by the opinion penalty sending that cash to the Pope instead. If you are the religious head (Fylkyr, Caliph), of course, that can be safely ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To those who are into that sort of thing, the Steam version of CK2 now has Trading Cards!

• Locked thread