Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Batmasterson posted:

Put me in the camp that thinks Ishida is undercover to some degree. His father is probably well aware of the Sternritter and I'm sure he was also contacted. He explains the situation to Uryuu, including the true death of his mother, and his grandfathers opposition to the Sternritters. Perhaps his grandfather also died to hollows because his Quincy power was absorbed. This gives Ishida plenty of reason to infiltrate their base, let them power him up, then oppose Bach. Hell, he was just made successor (will probably end the manga as this role) and he will use his power to revert the Qunicy to their old ways.

But that's just speculation.

Exactly this. But not before we get to see some Ichigo v. Uryuu action, with lots of shouting from Uryuu along the lines of "Kurosaki stand down, you don't know what hell you're talking about or what's actually going on here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder if it's possible for the Quincy to change their methods so they don't destroy hollows, but merely subdue them and/or cleanse them a la Shinigami so that Ishida could form a new Quincy force that acts as a human world division of Soul Society - since the guys SS sends to Earth are generally pretty loving worthless as is.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Thoren posted:

Last living what? These guys forgot about arrowdad. :colbert:

Or: ghost hitler tried to recruit arrowdad first, then ate him when he refused. :ohdear:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Or Ishida killed his dad before he left to solidify him as an actual villain(later revealed it was a trick/his dad died some other way).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tsob posted:

I wonder if it's possible for the Quincy to change their methods so they don't destroy hollows, but merely subdue them and/or cleanse them a la Shinigami so that Ishida could form a new Quincy force that acts as a human world division of Soul Society - since the guys SS sends to Earth are generally pretty loving worthless as is.

They did try to do that, Ishida's grandfather Soken was a proponent of something like that. Fighting off hollows to protect the innocent while waiting for a Shinigami to come and finish it off. But the Shinigami were still somewhat sore about the whole Quincy Genocide affair, and Mayuri was deliberately keeping reinforcements from getting there in time as well, which caused Soken's death and Uryu's whole "I hate Shinigami" business.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Thinking about it, now that Ichigo has a proper sword, can his bankai be stolen just like a regular Shinigami?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

TheHan posted:

Thinking about it, now that Ichigo has a proper sword, can his bankai be stolen just like a regular Shinigami?

Which is exactly why I don't see how anything done in Soul Society has helped at all. "Let's get stronger and train our bankai and unlock other people's bankai and give people bankai!" I'd love to see Soul Society get chumped again actually. It'd be appropriate.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TheHan posted:

I'm assuming that's still not going to happen. Maybe because of Old Man Zangetsu loving up the nature of the bankai and making it ping as Quincy still, maybe because of Ichigo putting a piece of himself in the sword, or maybe unlocking his full potential will just make it so that any Quincy who tries to steal it will just overload with power and go pop.

I want that last one kinda.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Wasn't the "I want revenge for my grandpa/want to help Orihime" line just an excuse and he really just wanted to help Ichigo but couldn't really say because of his loyalties to his father? That's certainly the impression I remember getting. I'm assuming the theory someone threw out a few posts back that it's some kind of phylactery thing is true and that Ywach wants a living heir either because his power would be greater in a living body than a dead one, and Ishida is the final boss (unlikely) or he'll take over Ishida's body at some point after the action kicks in and Ichigo will have to defeat him without killing Ishida. He's probably doing all this because he already knows about Ywach being responsible for his mother's death and this is the only plan he can think of to get revenge. Ishida has always been the cooler, more long-term plan type after all.

I think he needs one because he can't act outside of the influence of that shadow thing for very long, severely limiting what he can do. If you recall, he had a time limit for acting within Soul Society.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I like to think that Ichigo has so much poo poo going on in his soul at this point that none of this power-stealing magic can figure out what the gently caress it's supposed to do with him.

That and, if we have go through yet another iteration of "Ichigo has lost all his powers- time for a training arc!", I think I might murder somebody.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mangastream translates it as "He is the lone Quincy survivor in this world." Hm.

I guess this chapter kind confirms that the closer to A your Schrift is, the stronger you are. So, I guess that gives up something of a power structure for these guys.

...and that means Kenpachi got punked by the second weakest Sternritter in the bunch. :v:

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Which is exactly why I don't see how anything done in Soul Society has helped at all. "Let's get stronger and train our bankai and unlock other people's bankai and give people bankai!" I'd love to see Soul Society get chumped again actually. It'd be appropriate.

Mayuri and Urahara do have access to one of the medals, so they can try to research it and come up with countermeasures, at least.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Ishida is going to steal Ichigo's powers and be crippled by dementia as he tries to figure out what the gently caress they are for the rest of his days.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

A for Aizen

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

VJeff posted:

...and that means Kenpachi got punked by the second weakest Sternritter in the bunch. :v:

But that doesn't make sense because he supposedly beat Q, R, and another Y. :confused:

I hope not hearing/paying attention to whatever Q was saying comes back to bite him later and her dismissed and unheard speech isn't just a red herring.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

He beat a Y, but I think he got chumped by either the L or R quincy.

It was Lloyd and Royd, or some poo poo like that. loving Ghost Nazis and their weird rear end nomenclature :argh:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wonder how long until Uryu finds out that Ichigo is a Quincy and Bach also killed his mother as well. How do you work out the vengeance dibs on that?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gyges posted:

Wonder how long until Uryu finds out that Ichigo is a Quincy and Bach also killed his mother as well. How do you work out the vengeance dibs on that?

Buddy cop style.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

VJeff posted:

Mangastream translates it as "He is the lone Quincy survivor in this world." Hm.

I guess this chapter kind confirms that the closer to A your Schrift is, the stronger you are. So, I guess that gives up something of a power structure for these guys.

Watch, whoever has the "Q" Schrift is actually going to be the strongest like the asspull Kubo did with Yami being the 0 Espada instead of 10.

edit: Forgot what happened to "Q" already. Ok, what letter comes before "A"?

Shoren fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 27, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Scyantific posted:

He beat a Y, but I think he got chumped by either the L or R quincy.

It was Lloyd and Royd, or some poo poo like that. loving Ghost Nazis and their weird rear end nomenclature :argh:

They were both Y for some reason. So he beat a Y and lost to a Y.

Shoren posted:

Watch, whoever has the "Q" Schrift is actually going to be the strongest like the asspull Kubo did with Yami being the 0 Espada instead of 10.

edit: Forgot what happened to "Q" already. Ok, what letter comes before "A"?

Given the German theme, probably ß

Especially since it works out to being "SS"

And Japan loves the letter S when it comes to top rankings for some reason, so SS is even biggerer and betterer than just one S

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Re Haschwald:

http://img.mangastream.com/m/53/44920207/4b549fb71aabbd33da23803c362e797e.png

I don't think anyone's noticed this yet but it's clear foreshadowing regarding haschwald. Why he doesn't care about being named the successor - he's going to become the next soul king - at least that's the implied plan. He could still be on a higher tier like others suggest he is. I feel like this page solidifies that as a thing that's going to happen, or come close to happening and be a big reveal.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Zyla posted:

Re Haschwald:

http://img.mangastream.com/m/53/44920207/4b549fb71aabbd33da23803c362e797e.png

I don't think anyone's noticed this yet but it's clear foreshadowing regarding haschwald. Why he doesn't care about being named the successor - he's going to become the next soul king - at least that's the implied plan. He could still be on a higher tier like others suggest he is. I feel like this page solidifies that as a thing that's going to happen, or come close to happening and be a big reveal.

MangaPanda said "Emperor," and while I can't find a Japanese raw (wtf), a Chinese translation I found used the same two characters for Emperor that are used for the word in Japanese rather than the single one for "King." Some other language scan also used "Emperador" which I assume is something-ese for Emperor, so based on all of these other ones I'd say Mangastream was just playing fast and loose with their translation.:crossarms:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zogundar posted:

They were twins. Loyd(the one Kenpachi fought) could perfectly copy power and abilities in addition to appearance, and Royd(the one imitating Ywatch) could perfectly copy memories and spirit in addition to appearance. Though their backstory mentions no one being able to tell them apart, so maybe it's the opposite. If it's true, then ironically, Loyd probably weakened himself by copying Kenpachi :v:. Anyway, their unique powers probably make them wild cards, so their letter wouldn't really be indicative of their strength.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 27, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

RatHat posted:

They were twins. One could perfectly copy power and abilities in addition to appearance, the other could perfectly copy memories and spirit in addition to appearance. I don't believe it's stated which was which, but it doesn't really matter. Their unique powers probably make them wild cards, so their letter wouldn't really be indicative of their strength.

Well, I suppose Y can act as any of the vowels, including A.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Uh, guys, the Sternritter letters seem to pretty clearly correlate to their unique powers, not their overall strength/ranking. As Nodt was F for fear, Lloyd/Royd were Y for Yourself, the guy who got stronger with each kill was O for Overkill, R for Roar for the guy who tried to scream Kenpachi away, and Q for Question for the guy who tried to talk Kenpachi to death.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

A is for Absolute or All.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Crazy Larry posted:

Uh, guys, the Sternritter letters seem to pretty clearly correlate to their unique powers, not their overall strength/ranking. As Nodt was F for fear, Lloyd/Royd were Y for Yourself, the guy who got stronger with each kill was O for Overkill, R for Roar for the guy who tried to scream Kenpachi away, and Q for Question for the guy who tried to talk Kenpachi to death.

The strongest one is A
The one who was supposed to be the heir is B
The ones who who were skullfucking captains were E and F respectively.

Seems pretty cut and dry.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
On the other hand Y < Kenpachi < Y so... Hell, who am I kidding, this is Bleach. It will end up being both and neither before the arc is over.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I know this will probably happen, but still I really hope Ishida switches sides quickly, or is just being a double agent. I always liked Ishida because while matches that "loner moody last of his kind" archetype, he sort of subverted it by being pretty goofy himself. Plus, he never hated soul reapers and/or was obsessed with revenge.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TheHan posted:

The explanation for stealing bankais was that the Quincy had to be strong enough to do it; why only YWACH could steal Yamamoto's.

Zogundar posted:

Given the German theme, probably ß

Especially since it works out to being "SS"

And Japan loves the letter S when it comes to top rankings for some reason, so SS is even biggerer and betterer than just one S

Well Haschwald is ranked B. :v:

Monaghan posted:

I know this will probably happen, but still I really hope Ishida switches sides quickly, or is just being a double agent. I always liked Ishida because while matches that "loner moody last of his kind" archetype, he sort of subverted it by being pretty goofy himself. Plus, he never hated soul reapers and/or was obsessed with revenge.

He'll probably just be goofy with the Sternreitters when Kubo has one of his out of place "wacky comedy" scenes.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Everyone is going to have Egg on thier face when it turns out Aizen has been tricking everyone into thinking he's Bach since the prison visit.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
A is for antagonist, the power to beat anyone incredibly easily except for the main character.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I don't like the Quincy alphabet warriors. They are all super lame. They suck. What the hell is Kubo thinking?

The Shinigami captain reveal was sick.
The Team-Aizen reveal was terrific.

These new Quincy guys just suck, I think hashwalt and bach are ok, but the rest are poo poo.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
You guys keep forgetting that Y was pretending to be A, so he was actually about an M, if I know my ASCII tables right.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

The_Frag_Man posted:

I don't like the Quincy alphabet warriors. They are all super lame. They suck. What the hell is Kubo thinking?

The Shinigami captain reveal was sick.
The Team-Aizen reveal was terrific.

These new Quincy guys just suck, I think hashwalt and bach are ok, but the rest are poo poo.

Yeah I agree. I'm not saying that they won't grow on me or turn out to be cool, but the Espada, the Visored and the Gotei 13 caught my imagination straight away. I can think of maybe one or two of each who sucked in the end, but Ghost Nazi squad are just kinda a lame duck.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
I'm curious if the Bankai theft is permanent or more like a one shot deal for the sternritter. Also curious what happens when the Quincy who stole an ability dies, does it revert to its shinigami? Obviously Hitsugaya still didn't have his so I'm leaning toward the former

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I wonder if stolen Bankais can only be used as Bankai or if they can also use the Shikai (Such as in the case of characters like Soifon where it's arguably more useful in most situations. Her Bankai breaks the rules anyway according to fake Juha Bach for being a completely different type of weapon than the Shikai.)

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Zogundar posted:

I wonder if stolen Bankais can only be used as Bankai or if they can also use the Shikai (Such as in the case of characters like Soifon where it's arguably more useful in most situations. Her Bankai breaks the rules anyway according to fake Juha Bach for being a completely different type of weapon than the Shikai.)

They're stealing bankais not shikais, why would they only be able to use the form they didn't steal?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I love me some dual-wieldin', but I wish Ichigo had his regular (bankai) zanpakuto and a Seele Schneider instead of TWO ZANGETSUS. But I guess that conflicts with his desire to be just a Shinigami and not a Ghost Mexican or Ghost Nazi

fake edit: just realized Ichigo is literally the Spirit Axis (Ghost Germany and Japan) :haw:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I love me some dual-wieldin', but I wish Ichigo had his regular (bankai) zanpakuto and a Seele Schneider instead of TWO ZANGETSUS. But I guess that conflicts with his desire to be just a Shinigami and not a Ghost Mexican or Ghost Nazi

fake edit: just realized Ichigo is literally the Spirit Axis (Ghost Germany and Japan) :haw:

So are Hollows italian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hollows are Spanish based.

edit: I'm not up enough on WWII history to know what that does for the analogy

• Locked thread