Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Marshmallow Blue posted:

don't you dare boil your honey. Is that what the kit says to do? You're going to cook off oodles of aroma.

Also how much honey did they give you? I used 3lbs in my honey ale and it really slashed the bitterness from the hops, so using more hops might be a good idea.

for my honey ale i followed the white house given instructions and added it 10 min to the end of the boil. I get some honey notes and its not bitter at all. I used locally sourced 1 lbs wildflower honey

for the porter, both the WH and NB tell me to add it at the beginning of a 60 min boil, which I am NOT. I havent given my exact procedure much thought yet, but im prob going to add the 1lbs at flame out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Mikey Purp posted:

Anyone have a go-to source for kegging equipment? I'm assuming kegconnection.com but just wanted to see what else was out there.

I just re-surveyed the field for jockey box parts and kegconnection ended up being the best IMO for price, options, etc. Second time I have used them, got a 3 tap stainless kit from them for a kegerator conversion in 2010.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Summer Road Trip Time!

While the itinerary is not yet well developed, my lovely wife and I are planning to take a big road trip from SoCal to Wisconsin in August, with a stop in the Four Corners area of Colorado. That path pretty much puts us through the Fort Collins area, where I want to take both the Anheuser-Busch tour and also the New Belgium tour, time permitting. From there, we're heading northeast all the way to Waukesha, Wisconsin, and then there are mumblings about spending a few days in the Grand Tetons.

Any other can't-miss sites I need to be aware of? Anyone want to introduce me to their local watering hole? Reply in-thread, or PM if you prefer.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Jo3sh posted:

Summer Road Trip Time!

While the itinerary is not yet well developed, my lovely wife and I are planning to take a big road trip from SoCal to Wisconsin in August, with a stop in the Four Corners area of Colorado. That path pretty much puts us through the Fort Collins area, where I want to take both the Anheuser-Busch tour and also the New Belgium tour, time permitting. From there, we're heading northeast all the way to Waukesha, Wisconsin, and then there are mumblings about spending a few days in the Grand Tetons.

Any other can't-miss sites I need to be aware of? Anyone want to introduce me to their local watering hole? Reply in-thread, or PM if you prefer.

I am from Waukesha, what are you stopping there for?

Two must hit places in the Milwaukee area are the Milwaukee Brewing Company and the Sprecher Brewing Company. They both have great beers and great tours. Milwaukee Brewing Company bought a bunch of the old Pabst equipment and are using that and they give you ridiculous amounts of free beer. Last time time we went we were greated at the door by someone who was just leaving with the warning "Prepare to be blitzed, my friend." http://mkebrewing.com/

Sprecher also has a great tour and fairly free with their samples. I wish they were more widespread. Also some of the best sodas ever. http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

nesbit37 posted:

I am from Waukesha, what are you stopping there for?

More family up there, plus I may try to get to a high-power launch day at Bong Recreation Area if I am there at the right time.

Thanks for the suggestions, I know my brother-in-law is way down for anything involving copious amounts of beer.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

hellfaucet posted:

I wish NB didn't raise their prices on shipping so much. They were my go-to e-HBS, now I have to split up my purchases across 2 or three different shops to not spend an extra $25 on shipping.

Not only does the shipping seem expensive, it's been slower lately. My last order I had to inquire as it had been 3 days since any status update or notification of it being shipped out.

Since I extract brew, where is another online place that makes good extract kits?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

strikehold posted:

Since I extract brew, where is another online place that makes good extract kits?

Morebeer - and they still have free shipping on orders over $59. But they are here in CA, which is not so great depending on where you live and brew.

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain

Mikey Purp posted:

Anyone have a go-to source for kegging equipment? I'm assuming kegconnection.com but just wanted to see what else was out there.
I just placed my first order with kegconnection last weekend so I can't review them, but I thought I'd point out that they're running a 4th of July special over on the HomeBrewTalk forums. 10% off kits if you ask for a coupon code.

Tomorrow I join the keggers! I can't wait.

Jo3sh posted:

Summer Road Trip Time!

I was in Minnesota and Wisconsin last summer and had fun visiting Schell Brewery (New Ulm, MN) and New Glarus (WI). Not sure if they'll be on the way but definitely worth visiting. If I remember correctly, Schell is the second oldest operating brewery behind Yuengling.

pjhalifax fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 26, 2013

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Ah, VA. Kind of a hike for yeast to make I guess.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Mikey Purp posted:

Kegconnection has close to the lowest prices and excellent service, so I'd say go with them. I ordered my setup on a Sunday and got it on Tuesday (although it helped that I'm in Texas too).

One piece of advice: if your keezer or whatever will fit more kegs then you're planning on purchasing, go ahead and max out from the start. I started with a 2 keg setup, and within 2 weeks jumped it up to 4 kegs because kegging is the best thing ever.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Jo3sh posted:

Summer Road Trip Time!

If you are in Wisconsin you need to head over to New Glarus, its less than a two hour drive from Waukesha (where there is nothing to do). The beer is amongst the best you can get, the brewery is beautiful, the tour is extremely informative, and sometimes Dan Carey is even around to answer geeky questions about yeast.

Conversely, not twenty minutes away from New Glarus is Minhas Brewery in Monroe. The beer is honestly bad, fake-y craft beer and the only reason to go witness the polar opposite of everything New Glarus is. Bad beer, awful branding, and the town really hates the trust fund babies who recently bought the brewery. When I went, halfway through the tour they showed us a promo video for their energy drink which featured the owner wearing a shark skin suit while dancing with two scantily clad women. It was one of the worst and most amazing things I've ever seen.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I definitely want to get to New Glarus - I was disappointed that we did not get there in 2007.

Holy Christ, New Belgium is jam-packed for the days I am likely to be in the area. New Glarus is just sold the gently caress out. It looks like this whole beer thing might be catching on.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 26, 2013

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Jo3sh posted:

More family up there, plus I may try to get to a high-power launch day at Bong Recreation Area if I am there at the right time.

Thanks for the suggestions, I know my brother-in-law is way down for anything involving copious amounts of beer.

To chime in, if you headed to Milwaukee, the one and only brew tour necessary there is Lakefront Brewery. You get a glass, three (or four?) full pours, the staff is super nice and it's downtown too so it's kinda nice not to have to drive a ways to get much of anywhere.

New-Belgium is like a 1.5h tour iirc. Odell, Equinox, Funkwerks and MANY more are in Fort Collins; Or you could skip it and go to Denver, head to Crooked Stave, Breakenridge, Great Divide, and a bazillion others. Sure it sucks you can't get into New Belgium (which is supposed to be amazing) but don't let it get you down about the myriad of other breweries right in the same area.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

strikehold posted:

Ah, VA. Kind of a hike for yeast to make I guess.

It's fine. I've gotten kits in Arlington from Morebeer before I ever even knew to refrigerate or take care of it, and they were all fine. Lately I've just been sucking it up and figuring out when I can make it to MyLHBS.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Jacobey000 posted:

To chime in, if you headed to Milwaukee, the one and only brew tour necessary there is Lakefront Brewery.

We did Lakefront in 2007 as part of a riverboat package, and it was very good. Not sure if Milwaukee is on the agenda this trip, but I would happily repeat that one.

I have discussions going on with friends in Colorado about hitting a couple places near them, and I do want to do the Anheuser-Busch plant just because I've never been in a really giant industrial brewery like that before. I am sure I will also visit a place or two in Durango when we are down there.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Jacobey000 posted:

head to Crooked Stave

Seconding Crooked Stave in Denver.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jo3sh posted:

We did Lakefront in 2007 as part of a riverboat package, and it was very good. Not sure if Milwaukee is on the agenda this trip, but I would happily repeat that one.

I have discussions going on with friends in Colorado about hitting a couple places near them, and I do want to do the Anheuser-Busch plant just because I've never been in a really giant industrial brewery like that before. I am sure I will also visit a place or two in Durango when we are down there.

I've had Budweiser recommended for a tour because the scale is just ridiculous and the people know more about beer than most people would want to give them credit for.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Even if you don't care for their beer much, you have to respect them for making it so massively and consistently. I'm hoping to take the long tour, where you get down on the brewery floor and see things more closely than the self-guided tour lets you.

I may wear my Old Rasputin shirt while I do it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=798

Ugh, I wish I had seen this site before. That's way less than I paid for my kit.

edit: Can I keep 2 kegs at pressure with a single CO2 setup like that? Yes, they'd be the same pressure, that'd be fine.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 26, 2013

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
You would need a manifold and extra airline, etc., but otherwise yes.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Hey do you guys ever see yourself in a non brewing store looking at stuff, saying to yourself "I could make this into a radical fermenter" Then realize that brewing buckets are like 4 bucks?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Only every time I am anywhere. Now, whenever, I stop suddenly in the hardware store and start fondling merchandise not related to the current errand, my wife just asks what I am thinking of making it into.

It's pretty great.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My overfilled IPA has not blown the lid off the fermentation bucket. I have a feeling that it would have if I would have made a proper yeast starter. I brewed it on Saturday night. It didn't have any noticeable activity until Tuesday morning and it has been bubbling almost nonstop since then. My basement is 67 degrees right now.

I bought an old side by side refrigerator last night for keeping beer cold ... and for lagering.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Here's the next beer I'm doing, planned out on Brew-toad. The SWMBO has commanded me to not make 5 gallon batches until we move out of the dinky apartment so it's down to 2-2.5 gal ones.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/hives-bourbon-oak-ale What do you most trusted goons think?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Here's the next beer I'm doing, planned out on Brew-toad. The SWMBO has commanded me to not make 5 gallon batches until we move out of the dinky apartment so it's down to 2-2.5 gal ones.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/hives-bourbon-oak-ale What do you most trusted goons think?

SWMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO let's not migrate that junk here.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

wattershed posted:

SWMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO let's not migrate that junk here.

okay, but what about the beer?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm not as familiar with honey as you are so I'm unclear what that is really adding to it especially in a dark + bourbon oak beer. Test batch? Go for it.
My only comment then is that I've always operated under the rule of thumb to use lighter extracts + dark grains which get steeped.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Couple of small nitpicky things. Dark DME can be kind of weird because you never really know what's in it. The general wisdom is that it's better to use light or extra light DME (which is pretty much made from base malt) and steep specialty grains like caramel malt and chocolate malt to get color and flavor. Also you might want to drop the honey, all the other strong flavors in there are going to completely dominate and you won't taste it at all. It would also dry the beer out a lot since honey is so fermentable. Personally I like a little sweetness in bourbon/oaked beers.

Take this with a grain of salt but if I was going to brew a beer like that my fermentables would probably be something like 3lbs extra light DME, .5lb caramel 60 or 80L, .5lb pale chocolate. I also might drop the late addition of Saaz since it might muddle the bourbon and oak flavors too.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I should let the bourbon oak shine. Ill drop the dark for light extract. Ill keep the honey since the crystal malt should balance the sweetness and I want the abv boosted a bit and won't have to use sugar. I'm undecided on choc malt at the moment, but yeah this is a test batch.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

So as I mentioned a while ago, I made a hoppy wheat beer recently. I used WLP320 American Hefeweizen, and got much more banana/clove than I thought I was setting myself up for. It was way different than I recall from using WY1010 American Wheat. I foolishly did not do my homework on the yeast, but now I see that Mr. Malty's yeast page and YeastBot both call them different yeasts.

So, is WY1010 the one I want, or should I just fall all the way back to WY1056 or US-05?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Just bought my 20lb CO2 tank for $68 [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271217792416&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:ca:3160]here[/url]. Shipping was a little costly at 38 bucks, so after PayPall's stupid currency conversion I ended up paying 115 for it. Tried my local pepsi and coke warehouses to see if I could long-term rent a tank first, but no dice there.

Anybody got a link to a cheap single (or dual) gauge regulator? I can get a dual at my LHBS for 60, so something cheaper than that (after shipping) is what I'm looking for.

Getting closer to finishing this project :getin:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
:siren:EXPERIMENTAL DATA INCOMING:siren:

I was interested to test the "carbonation makes your gravity rise" concept that was talked about briefly a couple pages ago.

Pic was taken when the (sodium-free) water was still too violent to keep the hydrometer in one place. A couple minutes after the big bubbles stopped I was able to get a steady reading at 1.002, which really surprised me since I (for no reason) believed it would be a more trivial amount. After 30 minutes it dropped to 1.001 and after 1.5 hours it was 1.000.

So myth confirmed, at least at the extreme end of carbonation.

Also my standard hydrometer tube is about 8oz when filled to the top, in case anyone needed to know that for some reason.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yall have far more patience and/or better eye sight than I do if .002 is non trivial.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

zedprime posted:

Yall have far more patience and/or better eye sight than I do if .002 is non trivial.

1.050 -> 1.002 = 6.30% ABV
1.050 -> 1.000 = 6.56% ABV

It's people like YOU that give us homebrewers a bad name. You don't even care what you're serving people. If I came to your house and drank 23 of your beers that you (wrongly) thought were "6.3%" I would REALLY have consumed TWENTY FOUR BEERS.

Your laziness is gonna kill someone, dude.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Does anyone have a good non alcoholic root beer recipe and any ideas on how to bottle this and get carbonation without forced carbonation?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just wired my STC-1000 and it overshoots temperatures dramatically with an empty freezer.

Is this something that just takes care of itself once there's a fermenter involved?

I suppose I'm going to scavenge some foam packing at work, and use that to insulate the probe against the side of the fermenter.

e: pics

mewse fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 27, 2013

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Midorka posted:

Does anyone have a good non alcoholic root beer recipe and any ideas on how to bottle this and get carbonation without forced carbonation?

I had a very involved one that turned out simply OK. The problem was I think one ingredient.

To do it 'right',you need to get non standard ingredients from places,and unless you order pound sizes,will pay out the nose

It also has so much sugar in it that it will quickly carbonate,then OVER carbonate so I hope you have room to hold all the bottles in your fridge

I can post my list,but I think it needs tweaking, plus its a 16q batch

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

fullroundaction posted:

It's people like YOU that give us homebrewers a bad name. You don't even care what you're serving people. If I came to your house and drank 23 of your beers that you (wrongly) thought were "6.3%" I would REALLY have consumed TWENTY FOUR BEERS.

Even this small difference is on the extreme end of possible variation. At more typical final gravities near 1.010 the difference is even smaller.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

fullroundaction posted:

:siren:EXPERIMENTAL DATA INCOMING:siren:

I was interested to test the "carbonation makes your gravity rise" concept that was talked about briefly a couple pages ago.

Pic was taken when the (sodium-free) water was still too violent to keep the hydrometer in one place. A couple minutes after the big bubbles stopped I was able to get a steady reading at 1.002, which really surprised me since I (for no reason) believed it would be a more trivial amount. After 30 minutes it dropped to 1.001 and after 1.5 hours it was 1.000.

So myth confirmed, at least at the extreme end of carbonation.

Also my standard hydrometer tube is about 8oz when filled to the top, in case anyone needed to know that for some reason.

That's backwards - dissolved gas lowers water density. Beautiful example of expectation bias in an experiment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Haha!
officer " have you been drinking tonight"
you "yes, but I only had 23 beers at 6.3%"
Officer "step out of the car mr.. I'm going to give you a breathalizer
"says here your BA is .2 Thats 24 beers at your weight! you're under arrest for lying to an officer!"