Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I just got an email saying I've been given a free name change. Is this a thing that they do, or somehow related to character transfers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

All subscribers got that email, the free name change was supposed to come before now so I guess they felt the need to notify everyone?

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
Wow, that was really easy. We'll see if my character comes out the other side of the transfer ok, but I'm genuinely surprised they didn't gently caress this up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Win a warzone with 10 medals, get only 12,000 experience at level 50. gently caress this game sometimes. :/ And this is with Major Experience Boost, 10% guild exp boost, and 12% Warzone exp boost from Legacies.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

I said come in! posted:

Win a warzone with 10 medals, get only 12,000 experience at level 50. gently caress this game sometimes. :/ And this is with Major Experience Boost, 10% guild exp boost, and 12% Warzone exp boost from Legacies.

I think someone said earlier in the thread that warzone experience is directly tied to how long the warzone lasted. Get 6 goals in Huttball in 2 minutes, get lovely experience; draw the match out until it ends at 12 minutes, get lots more experience.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WarLocke posted:

I think someone said earlier in the thread that warzone experience is directly tied to how long the warzone lasted. Get 6 goals in Huttball in 2 minutes, get lovely experience; draw the match out until it ends at 12 minutes, get lots more experience.

Okay that did happen, we steamrolled a team in about that amount of time.

The way EXP works in warzones has always been awful.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Strom Thurmond posted:

Wow, that was really easy. We'll see if my character comes out the other side of the transfer ok, but I'm genuinely surprised they didn't gently caress this up.

Yeah, I transferred a character and even though it said it would take about an hour, it took all of 5 minutes. I did have to pick a new name though :/

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Is there a goon guild on prophecy of the five I can get an invite to? Char name is DPad. I'm currently in a pub guild for the xp bonus

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Got my assassin to 55, and outside of 1v1 PVP, I've been fairly unimpressed with the class. It's fun, but all my other characters feel like they clear stuff faster or hold better aggro.

So I'm now 32 on a Sorcerer, and that is genuine fun to play, while bringing heaps to the table.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Ajax posted:

So I'm now 32 on a Sorcerer, and that is genuine fun to play, while bringing heaps to the table.

Get to level 34 (when you get the Forcequake equivalent), send Khem Val in to chop up dudes, bubble him, laugh maniacally as you AOE everything down around him. :science:

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I just noticed you edited this. I was trying to find a guild over the weekend with the xp boost on imp side and didn't have much luck finding people that didn't appear to be raging idiots. I don't have tons of time to play right now, but i may try to log on to get added. My BH is 54, and I have a level 17 sniper I want to get leveled during a double xp weekend. I'd love to take advantage of the xp boost and possibly some hard modes/ops in the future. I'll try to message you if I see you on.

Sure thing! Add me and make sure to post your char(s) on the spreadsheet so other goons can find you.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can anyone invite late-night to That's No Goon?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Ajax posted:

Got my assassin to 55, and outside of 1v1 PVP, I've been fairly unimpressed with the class. It's fun, but all my other characters feel like they clear stuff faster or hold better aggro.

I'm interested in your assessment. I loved my shadow up to 55, I felt it had incredible utility and staying power. At 55 though, sometimes I feel like I roll 1d6 to see if my shields work and if I get 1 or 2 I die on certain pulls (I feel like someone here said that).

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress the balloon ride on Tatooine. gently caress Tatooine in general.

Brought a Merc friend out to Tat with me to bypass it. gently caress BioWare and their lovely time wasters. Ugh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Brought a Merc friend out to Tat with me to bypass it. gently caress BioWare and their lovely time wasters. Ugh.

Heh yeah, when I needed to get that, I had my Juggernaut friend force push me up. :)

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
It's been a long time since I ran into someone so painfully stupid. Then he rolled need on everything because he was mad at dumb he was, I guess?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

FaintlyQuaint posted:

First time I tried to get on the balloon, I missed the jump. Second time I arrived something like 30 minutes early, made the jump (oh thank gently caress), and rode the balloon for 10 minutes or so before getting a ping timeout out.

That goddamn flippin' balloon.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I don't know what it is, but some people absolutely, positively must win any argument. Being on the internet exacerbates this problem. He almost certainly knew somewhere deep in his brain that you were right about the specs, but some people snap into serious cognitive dissonance and start hardcore believing what they're saying. In short, it was probably a lot more important to him that he felt like he won the argument with you and was in the right than to acknowledge anything resembling reality.

The most common reaction I see happens when someone Needs on something they probably mistakenly thought they needed. Usually someone calls them out. Instead of admitting their mistake, trading and moving on, they just leave the group rather than admitting to themselves they messed up.

So anyways, I'm at an awkward crossroads. My gear just isn't good enough to do 55 HM FPs or SM ops yet, but since I'm 55 I can't queue for Classic Ops, even though my gear is good enough to do the Nightmare variants. The only Basic Comm armor that actually has good stats for me I already have, the rest are either only incremental improvements or actual steps backward. The mainhand weapon is really good - but requires rep with Makeb that will take me weeks to grind out. (Why in the earthly gently caress they made it so difficult, I don't know). The Elite gear items are awesome and exactly what I need...but I can't get them without doing HM FPs.

Wat do?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Red Crown posted:

So anyways, I'm at an awkward crossroads. My gear just isn't good enough to do 55 HM FPs or SM ops yet, but since I'm 55 I can't queue for Classic Ops, even though my gear is good enough to do the Nightmare variants. The only Basic Comm armor that actually has good stats for me I already have, the rest are either only incremental improvements or actual steps backward. The mainhand weapon is really good - but requires rep with Makeb that will take me weeks to grind out. (Why in the earthly gently caress they made it so difficult, I don't know). The Elite gear items are awesome and exactly what I need...but I can't get them without doing HM FPs.

Wat do?
Buy the 66 barrels/hilts/armoring from the GTN for like 30k a piece and run 55 HM FPs. If your gear is good enough for nightmare EC/old nightmare TfB then you're fine for 55 HMs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Red Crown posted:

I don't know what it is, but some people absolutely, positively must win any argument. Being on the internet exacerbates this problem. He almost certainly knew somewhere deep in his brain that you were right about the specs, but some people snap into serious cognitive dissonance and start hardcore believing what they're saying. In short, it was probably a lot more important to him that he felt like he won the argument with you and was in the right than to acknowledge anything resembling reality.

The most common reaction I see happens when someone Needs on something they probably mistakenly thought they needed. Usually someone calls them out. Instead of admitting their mistake, trading and moving on, they just leave the group rather than admitting to themselves they messed up.

Wat do?

If you're in better than Campaign gear, you can do 55 Hard Modes. Are you Tank, DPS or Heals? Tanking is tougher, but if you have a good healer you'll be fine. I've carried tanks through HMs with my merc healer wearing greens, as long as they knew what they were doing. You might not be able to pull of a few of the bonus bosses (the one in Hammer Station is a heavy hitter).

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Medullah posted:

If you're in better than Campaign gear, you can do 55 Hard Modes. Are you Tank, DPS or Heals? Tanking is tougher, but if you have a good healer you'll be fine. I've carried tanks through HMs with my merc healer wearing greens, as long as they knew what they were doing. You might not be able to pull of a few of the bonus bosses (the one in Hammer Station is a heavy hitter).

I'm a tank. I have one 66 piece, 1 69, and the rest are 58-61. I've actually completed 3 HMs, but it requires that neither I or the healer make any mistakes whatsoever, which usually doesn't happen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Red Crown posted:

I'm a tank. I have one 66 piece, 1 69, and the rest are 58-61. I've actually completed 3 HMs, but it requires that neither I or the healer make any mistakes whatsoever, which usually doesn't happen.

You're fine. Just keep pushing through. It's the easiest way to get gear, even if it means a few wipes and growing pains.

If you were on POT5 I'd queue with you on my healer, but I think you've said previously you were on one of the other empty servers.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Fashion question: Are there any orange shoes that aren't ugly?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
You are a shadow tank, right?

- You can buy the crafted 66 hilts on the GTN very cheaply, they are the same quality as the Makeb weapons and this way you don't need to grind reputation.
- Make sure your earpiece/implants are upgraded. Again you should be able to buy the blue-quality items off the GTN cheaply.
- Upgrade relics when possible, by either basic comms or pvp (probably the faster option).
- Consider using augment kits on your gear. The MK-9 level augment kits are expensive but you only have to ever use one per armor slot. The augments themselves are cheap if you just buy the blue quality ones. If you are undergeared you should probably be looking for Shield or Absorb augments. No need to go crazy on these if you can't afford the price but they do help quite a bit.

At this point you're all 66'd out so you are good to go for the 55 HMs. Undergeared shadows are the most squishy tanks to be fair, so use consumables: a prototype nano-infused fortitude stim will give you around 15k extra health I think. The rest is just knowing the specific flashpoints and when you need to be using cooldowns. The primary ones are obviously Deflection (+50% defense), Battle Readiness (15% instant heal, +25% damage reduction), Resilience (immune to tech/force attacks, removes debuffs). If I know I'm about to go into a difficult pull and cooldowns are not ready then I tell the group to wait until they are.

Not long ago I healed a 55 assassin tank who had slotted mostly strength mods into his gear and seemed to use Wither/Discharge once every 2 minutes but we still cleared the flashpoint, so I'm sure you're far from the worst tank that groups have to deal with.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Promethium posted:

Not long ago I healed a 55 assassin tank who had slotted mostly strength mods into his gear and seemed to use Wither/Discharge once every 2 minutes but we still cleared the flashpoint, so I'm sure you're far from the worst tank that groups have to deal with.

I don't understand that...half my time as an Assassin tank is spamming discharge and wither waiting for them to come off CD so I can get aggro from everything.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I bought a bunch of 66s and one of those stims. Got picked up by a really hardcore group for Cademimu, did just fine. Of course, the only gear that dropped for me was the one piece of 69s I already had, but hey! Thanks for the tips.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

bear is driving! posted:

It's been a long time since I ran into someone so painfully stupid. Then he rolled need on everything because he was mad at dumb he was, I guess?

I get that these people are stupid but what's the point of raging over lowbie loot? I guess it's a matter of principle to tell people they should die.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously, just vote kick and move the gently caress on. Death threats are a bit of a pubbie thing.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

You know the only thing that makes me angry? People who constantly sandbag warzones for fun. This Xena 'chick' has been in 4 of my warzones today, sitting at a guard thing throughout the whole match, until an enemy gets near where she runs away. The whole time flirting with people and saying we lose.

Most annoying type of person I've met in this game.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I am honestly shocked that I was allowed to name my new black Republic alt "Djedi'unchained".

Gonna run around killing as many white Imperials as I can before I get reported.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Kaysette posted:

I am honestly shocked that I was allowed to name my new black Republic alt "Djedi'unchained".

Gonna run around killing as many white Imperials as I can before I get reported.

I'm just assuming you're a Gunslinger.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

You know the only thing that makes me angry? People who constantly sandbag warzones for fun. This Xena 'chick' has been in 4 of my warzones today, sitting at a guard thing throughout the whole match, until an enemy gets near where she runs away. The whole time flirting with people and saying we lose.

Most annoying type of person I've met in this game.

We had a guy on Pot5 for the past week trolling this issue. Things like "weak, beta males are so willingly collected into "female" harems that it's no wonder society has become morally corrupt. Shallow and vapid women have taken advantage of a lack of societal control (meaning get back to the kitchen) to revel in this decay and bankruptcy of decency."

It's awesome in a horrifying sort of way. His name is Dondonian if any Pot5 goons want to provoke some easy gen chat rage. Or if a goon is Dondonian well played.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

FaintlyQuaint posted:

We had a guy on Pot5 for the past week trolling this issue. Things like "weak, beta males are so willingly collected into "female" harems that it's no wonder society has become morally corrupt. Shallow and vapid women have taken advantage of a lack of societal control (meaning get back to the kitchen) to revel in this decay and bankruptcy of decency."

It's awesome in a horrifying sort of way. His name is Dondonian if any Pot5 goons want to provoke some easy gen chat rage. Or if a goon is Dondonian well played.

The elaborate troll is the way of the goon,
Seek not the ten thousand reasons he trolls,
but appreciate that he does.

- the Tao de Lowtax.

If people are that serious about warzones they are doing it wrong anyways. One player doesn't break a large team in a non-ranked wz.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Considering how stupid the playerbase is, I don't think any of them will catch on. That is a very clever name though.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
To do Makeb and get to 55 on my Sniper now, or to wait until the weekend and do it faster while prepping another character for the weekend too. Decisions.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Ya I put that guy on ignore pretty quick. He constantly tries to troll my friend, calling her a dumb jew, an e-whore and a whole mess of other things.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Theoretically I can take an early game orange and put 66 or higher mods on it to make it passable for HM flashpoints and the like, yes?

I mean I get how the item/mod system works perfectly fine but is there some hidden drawback to, for example, keeping Flashy until the end of the game and putting endgame mods on it?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

is there some hidden drawback to, for example, keeping Flashy until the end of the game and putting endgame mods on it?

None whatsoever.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
It used to be that certain shells had benefits; the set bonuses for endgame gear. Now though, all of those have been moved to the armorings themselves, so any orange shell is identical to any other orange shell (of the same armour or weapon class).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Theoretically I can take an early game orange and put 66 or higher mods on it to make it passable for HM flashpoints and the like, yes?

I mean I get how the item/mod system works perfectly fine but is there some hidden drawback to, for example, keeping Flashy until the end of the game and putting endgame mods on it?

No drawback at all. Oranges have no stats, be they level 1 or level 55, they only have the stats their mods give them.

• Locked thread