Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

We may have a new MJ already...

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/shailene-woodley-out-sarah-gadon-in-for-amazing-spider-man-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

oh wow I sure hope so

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neowyrm posted:

oh wow I sure hope so

She denied it on Twitter. She's in ASM2 as someone, but it's not MJ.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
FELCIA HHAAAARRRDDDYYYY!!!

The Black Cat.

I don't actually know.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gatts posted:

The Black Cat.

I don't actually know.

Its going to be Aunt May's friends niece. They are just not going to say her name.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Gatts posted:

The Black Cat.

I don't actually know.

If they have the Black Cat, she needs to be quite a bit older so their budding relationship can end exactly like it did in the Ultimate version of Spider-Man.

After flirting with him relentlessly over a period of time, she ends up realizing he's actually 15 years old and vomits on his crotch.

Of course, Garfield looks way too old for this to actually work.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 24, 2013

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

DFu4ever posted:

If they have the Black Cat, she needs to be quite a bit older so their budding relationship can end exactly like it did in the Ultimate version of Spider-Man.

After flirting with him relentlessly over a period of time, she ends up realizing he's actually 15 years old and vomits on his crotch.

Of course, Garfield looks way too old for this to actually work.

As entertaining as that would be it already won't work since as per the leaks for ASM2 we know that Pete and co. are graduating so everyone is 17/18 and I don't think Felicia will have too huge of a problem hitting on a teenaged adult. Of course I'm just saying this because I want to see a Black Cat written just as well as the video game version in these movies :pray:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

This movie's gonna be a blast.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Paul Giamatti is going to singlehandedly make this movie from generic to something amazing and special.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wonder if all the life was sucked out of ASM because it was yet another boring rear end origin story.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wonder if all the life was sucked out of ASM because it was yet another boring rear end origin story.
Nah it's because it was badly made. A good third of the movie is just father figures standing around, lecturing to Peter with no visual flair, intercut with unrelated CGI freakout scenes.

You could easily have an entire movie of Spiderman gaining superpowers and then hunting a dangerous Lizardman, even including input from various people, without it being so deadening.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The main thing I recall about it is how poorly judged the Uncle Ben death scene is, I thought you guys were actually joking about that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The main thing I recall about it is how poorly judged the Uncle Ben death scene is, I thought you guys were actually joking about that.

Its shot and edited like Uncle Ben failed a quick time event.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

It's shot and edited extremely bizarrely because they don't want to outright say that Uncle Ben is an idiot who jumped on a gun over a sum of maybe a hundred bucks, though that's exactly what happened.

A significant chunk of the film is then spent chasing the dude who was kinda tangentially related to Ben's weird suicide. But they never outright say that Ben was to blame for what went down.

This all happens in place of fun lizard action, as it happens.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Uncle Ben thing is kind of a microcosm of the major problem with Amazing Spider Man, which is that it's so terrified of coming off as too similar to the Raimi movies that it drives itself into a corner of pointless convolution and stultifying boredom. At the same time it's also afraid to be too dissimilar, so we get this weird iteration of the Uncle Ben moment that we really didn't need at all in the first place. It was a perfect opportunity to do a fresh, exciting take on the material but instead we wound up with something that feels like a bad cover song.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 27, 2013

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The Uncle Ben thing is kind of a microcosm of the major problem with Amazing Spider Man, which is that it's so terrified of coming off as too similar to the Raimi movies that it drives itself into a corner of pointless convolution and stultifying boredom. At the same time it's also afraid to be too dissimilar, so we get this weird iteration of the Uncle Ben moment that we really didn't need at all in the first place. It was a perfect opportunity to do a fresh, exciting take on the material but instead we wound up with something that feels like a bad cover song.

In which the singers are better than the original :downsrim:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Aces High posted:

In which the singers are better than the original :downsrim:

No poo poo. ASM did a much better job of establishing likable, interesting characters than the Raimi movies did. It makes the Raimi films look pretty weak in comparison.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The message of ASM is Dads are Bad, Peter finds three father figures and they all die and his birth father was all shady and he died too. Be nice to your mom.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Surlaw posted:

The message of ASM is Dads are Bad, Peter finds three father figures and they all die and his birth father was all shady and he died too. Be nice to your mom.

This message would have been pretty interesting if Donald Glover had played Peter.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DFu4ever posted:

No poo poo. ASM did a much better job of establishing likable, interesting characters than the Raimi movies did. It makes the Raimi films look pretty weak in comparison.

ASM's ostensible greatest achivement is that it sloooowly and painstakingly showed us every little facet of Spiderman's complex psychology. He goes through like all eight stages of grief for each father figure so that we learn such things as 'why doesn't he just murder random criminals?' and 'why would he date Emma Stone?'

You know, instead of having Willem Dafoe hamming it up in a sparkly green imp suit, leaping around trying to literally gently caress Spider Man. "You're the one who's out, Gobby! Out of your mind!!!" So Gobby fucks himself by accident, and his son walks into the room and it's very awkward for everyone involved.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

The Green Goblin is the best part of the Raimi films and the best part of the Goblin is that his pumpkin bombs and terrifying electrified penis trident appear and disappear without any apparent source. Most of the time he just reaches behind his back and they appear in his hand, like a Looney Tunes character. It's incredible.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
So. Electro.

I like his little lightning bolt emblems. Cute.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I look at that and think "Yep. That's comic Spider-man to a T brought to life."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

So. Electro.

This is rad. His ears are all messed up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm liking that Electro costume. It mixes a bunch of elements from different designs over the years.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I really like it. Between this and the Spidey suit it looks like they're doing a great job on character designs. I can't wait to see what Giamatti's Rhino will look like.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dacap posted:

I really like it. Between this and the Spidey suit it looks like they're doing a great job on character designs. I can't wait to see what Giamatti's Rhino will look like.

On the one hand okay, on the main other hand I hope it's just Giamatti himself.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

So. Electro.

That's Jamie Foxx? I can see it after looking at it a little bit, but Jesus :aaa:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gatts posted:

On the one hand okay, on the main other hand I hope it's just Giamatti himself.

He's revealed to simply be a schizophrenic man with no superpowers at all, who thinks he is a rhinoceros and keeps getting arrested for charging at people in Central Park.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
As said, that spider suit. That is amazing.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That Electro looks so loving stupid how did anyone think that was a good idea? They could've just gone with Shocker and given him a cool movie suit instead of this ugly mess.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm delighted that they're returning to the classic suit design. The previous one was awful.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

That Electro looks so loving stupid how did anyone think that was a good idea? They could've just gone with Shocker and given him a cool movie suit instead of this ugly mess.

What don't you like about it? Not enough green and yellow lightning bolt mask? He looks pretty much exactly like the way Electro was drawn in Ultimate. I think ditching the "classic" Electro costume was hands down the right choice.

http://icdn9.digitaltrends.com/image/electrogreen-300x300.jpg

Can you elaborate beyond "Huh...that looks dumb"?

Stormageddon posted:

As said, that spider suit. That is amazing.

This can't be said enough. It's amazing (ahem) how much can be accomplished just enlarging the eyes. I also love how skinny, lean, agile and "bouncy" he looks. He's a Bagley illustration practically come to life.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 10, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Unlucky posted:

In addition to what's been said, why would you replace Electro with Shocker? The two of them have nothing in common at all.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I like his ear being messed up, nice little touch.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Because one would look good on film and the other would look loving stupid, case in point.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

TheJoker138 posted:

In addition to what's been said, why would you replace Electro with Shocker? The two of them have nothing in common at all.

Haha what. "Electro" and "Shocker" have nothing in common? You mean other than the fact that they're both tech-themed Spiderman villains?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It is very hard to gently caress up the idea of electric ninja since that's basically what a movie version of Shocker would look like. As with green goblin there is no way to make a movie version of electro's comic costume without it being utterly ridiculous so they scrap it entirely in favor of something new and just like green goblin it looks like a loving power rangers villain, big surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Y'know Shocker's not actually electricity based, right? He'd be a pretty poor 'electric ninja' on that basis alone.

• Locked thread