Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008
Anybody excited about Sockweb? For those of you who don't know, it's a father/daughter grindcore band. The seven year old daughter writes all the lyrics and can scream better than a lot of vocalists out there. Beyond that, Kat Katz and Scott Hull are apparently on the record, which is coming out soonishly, I think. This is what they've released on Soundcloud so far. https://soundcloud.com/cptjoe/sets/sockweb

I think it's good grindcore, but then again I am a sucker for tiny bad asses and could be blinded by the adorableness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Dirt posted:

You guys are missing the important topic with all this Amon Amarth talk: There is a new Gorguts album coming out very soon.

Get your poo poo together, people.

True. I listened to that instrumental that was leaked, or released, but I've been resisting the urge to check out the new track. Gorguts is something special and I'm determined to hold off til I'm able to press "play" on track 1.

And this--

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm just finishing the album (a friend linked me to an advanced copy), and it's basically From Wisdom to Hate part 2. It's my second-favorite album of the year so far.

--makes me very happy, as FWtH is my fave of theirs. (But really it's a stiff competition between their albums.)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Gorguts is another terrible band.

They're terrible for an entirely different set of reasons than Amon Amarth though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Anus Dei posted:

True. I listened to that instrumental that was leaked, or released, but I've been resisting the urge to check out the new track. Gorguts is something special and I'm determined to hold off til I'm able to press "play" on track 1.

And this--

--makes me very happy, as FWtH is my fave of theirs. (But really it's a stiff competition between their albums.)
I don't think anything can really top Obscura, but FWtH is great too.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Whenever I listen to Obscura, as much as I love it, and as much as I realize there's nothing else like it, I feel like the emperor in Amadeus: "There are ... too many notes." FWtH still has a lot of the angular weirdness but makes the songs more obvious and immediate. Scanning the tracklist of that latter album, I can always recall a riff, hook, or some other memorable element of every song. In the case of Obscura's deeper tracks, I'm just like, uhhh, I don't I can't -- and I'm sure I've listened to that album 50 times.

Having said all that, Obscura reminds me of the Jake Johannsen bit about Liberace, and how he reached "peak Liberace" or "maxed out his Liberace-ossitude." I doubt we'll ever be able to say, "this album is like Obscura, but more so."

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
considered dead and Erosion of sanity loving rape everything gorguts did afterwards

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Deceiver of the Gods is pretty good. I think I need a few more listens to fully decide. It's no where near With Oden On Our Sides.

Hel is corny as gently caress.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Father_Johann posted:

Anybody excited about Sockweb? For those of you who don't know, it's a father/daughter grindcore band. The seven year old daughter writes all the lyrics and can scream better than a lot of vocalists out there. Beyond that, Kat Katz and Scott Hull are apparently on the record, which is coming out soonishly, I think. This is what they've released on Soundcloud so far. https://soundcloud.com/cptjoe/sets/sockweb

I think it's good grindcore, but then again I am a sucker for tiny bad asses and could be blinded by the adorableness.

This is just awesome because 1. seven year old girl and 2. the cutest father/daughter project ever.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Does anybody else have particular bands they rediscover occasionally and proceed to listen to nothing but for weeks on end?

I find it happens to me with Benighted and Ghoul.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My metal taste changes relative to the seasons. During summer it's primarily heavy metal (listening to Dio right now) and folk metal. During autumn, black metal and anything gloomy/melodic. Winter is primarily power metal, and spring is primarily stuff like Moonsorrow, Drudkh, Gallowbraid, etc.

Of course I don't listen exclusively to each genre in each season, it is just what I primarily listen to.

So yeah I guess I rediscover bands every year and listen to them a lot for a time.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 23, 2013

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I mostly listen to black and viking metal and don't care for death or melodeath at all, but I got into Amon Amarth some time ago and love all of their albums. It's kind of ridiculous. It's true that the albums are all rather similar and they don't evolve much, but they're extremely good at what they do. Much of their lyrics are rather positive and uplifting, which is something rare for metal.

Deceiver of the Gods is a great album :shrug:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

TeamJesus posted:

Does anybody else have particular bands they rediscover occasionally and proceed to listen to nothing but for weeks on end?

I find it happens to me with Benighted and Ghoul.

Blind Guardian, Darkthrone, Stormwarrior.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Father_Johann posted:

Really thought it was the same girl from this when I heard her voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6U-8LP1DY

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

nerve posted:

Really thought it was the same girl from this when I heard her voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6U-8LP1DY

Yeah, it's generic little girl voice until a track or two in...then she actually starts doing gutteral growling metal vocals and it really makes me want to have a daughter.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Deceiver of the Gods is pretty good. I think I need a few more listens to fully decide. It's no where near With Oden On Our Sides.

Hel is corny as gently caress.

They should have just done a Candlemass cover and got it out of their system.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The new Orphaned Land album, All is one is out. They seem to have got rid of most of their progressive elements. It's pretty good, far better than ORwarrioR was. It's no Mabool though.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Autopsy - The Headless Ritual is out, and it's awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcCgdvlApE

Also, the new grind album by Squash Bowels, Grindcoholism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOvlaIcVXns

TeamJesus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 24, 2013

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stoat posted:

The new Orphaned Land album, All is one is out. They seem to have got rid of most of their progressive elements. It's pretty good, far better than ORwarrioR was. It's no Mabool though.

Not sure I'd say they got rid of their prog elements at all, considering that was always instrumentation and themes with them. I mean it sounds like they fell back on synths a bit more (and kind of doubled down on it), but what made Orphaned Land Orphaned Land is still totally there.

But I also can't agree that OrWarrior wasn't excellent, so we may just have different things we want from this band. For me, OrWarrior refined on Mabool (which I love, but parts of it dragged) quite a bit. I can't rank All is One yet, though.

e: they do seem to have gotten rid of their death/doom elements though, which is a shame. Harsh vocals on like one song? Yikes.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 25, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Gonna go buy that new Queensryche album today, mostly to spite Geoff Tate. :toot:

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
After quitting Amon Amarth because of Twilight and Surtur, these last couple pages convinced me to try the new one...

...annnnnddddd still not a fan. How is it that this band went from releasing their best album / one of my favorite metal albums of all time IMMEDIATELY to releasing crap?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

SlipkPIe posted:

After quitting Amon Amarth because of Twilight and Surtur, these last couple pages convinced me to try the new one...

...annnnnddddd still not a fan. How is it that this band went from releasing their best album / one of my favorite metal albums of all time IMMEDIATELY to releasing crap?

Your taste in music might've changed in that period. Although they changed slightly, I still love their albums.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
loving Blood Eagle, man

But then... Hel....

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Dead Man Posting posted:

spring is primarily stuff like Moonsorrow, Drudkh, Gallowbraid, etc.

Doesn't someone ITT know the Gallowbraid guy? If so, please can you tell him to release more music, as I've played Ashen Eidolon to death? Thanks.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Thrash time! The new Birth A.D. record is pretty good. Continues from where they started with the demo. It also gives you a chance to let out that inner hard right politician you've got hiding beneath that crusty Wintersun shirt for a few minutes.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

loving Blood Eagle, man

But then... Hel....

Yeah Hel is a weird one. It's not a bad song per se but it's not a very good Amon Amarth song. Fortunately I think it's the only weak link on the album, Coming of the Tide is fairly average but everything else is solid as hell. Standouts for me are, as you say, Blood Eagle, Shape Shifter, and We Shall Destroy, while Warriors of the North is a suitably epic closer (8 minutes!).

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I can't stand Blood Eagle because I hate when songs have sound effects or movie clips or whatever for the opening. It's such a minor thing but I don't like it.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

deadwing posted:

Gonna go buy that new Queensryche album today, mostly to spite Geoff Tate. :toot:

Besides spite, which is a totally fine reason when it's Geoff Tate we're talking about, it's also probably their best in over a decade.

E: Mindcrime 2 wasn't bad, but this is still much better.

Poe fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 26, 2013

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4kCyXLwhN0
VIDEO

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Poe posted:

Besides spite, which is a totally fine reason when it's Geoff Tate we're talking about, it's also probably their best in over a decade.

E: Mindcrime 2 wasn't bad, but this is still much better.

Mindcrime 2 made me so goddamn angry. The bait and switch there was awful, they released The Hands first which was a kicking rad song and easily their best post-Promised Land, but the rest of the album was poo poo. The S/T is easily their best post-Promised Land album, that stands up with their classic albums, if not quite as good. Todd LaTorre seemed to insinuate on a couple of recent interviews that they might be working with Chris DeGarmo on some upcoming material too.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

deadwing posted:

Mindcrime 2 made me so goddamn angry. The bait and switch there was awful, they released The Hands first which was a kicking rad song and easily their best post-Promised Land, but the rest of the album was poo poo. The S/T is easily their best post-Promised Land album, that stands up with their classic albums, if not quite as good. Todd LaTorre seemed to insinuate on a couple of recent interviews that they might be working with Chris DeGarmo on some upcoming material too.

As long as they keep doing stuff together even if they lose the name I'll be happy. This almost makes up for Dedicated to Chaos. I am hearing some static on a few tracks from the mastering (particularly Redemption, which is my favorite so far, and Vindication) , which is a little disappointing, but my only complaint.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Varg posted:

I listened to Sabbath's album the other day and was pleasantly surprised by it. Pretty chill groovy poo poo
Yeah it's pretty decent, not as stellar as the Dio revival but good enough. Would fit right in between Sabotage and Technical Ecstasy.
Make sure you get the Special edition, the 3 bonus tracks are among my favorites for the album.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finally jumping on the Deceiver of the Gods bandwagon. I agree it's a pretty solid album, definitely leaps and bounds better than Surtur Rising.

Whoa, Messiah from Candlemass guest vocals?! Okay I'm in love now.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Haven't seen anyone mention that Vader announced a US tour. Here are some dates, not sure if there are others announced yet.

Sep. 6th - Santa Ana, CA @ Yost Theatre
Sep. 7th - Oakland, CA @ Oakland Metro
Sep. 9th - Seattle, WA @ El Corazon
Sep.10th - Caldwell, ID @ The Venue
Sep.13th - Kansas City, MO @ Aftershock
Sep.15th - Chicago, IL @ Reggies
Sep.17th - Brooklyn, NY @ The Paper Box
Sep.21st - Tampa, FL @ The Orpheum
Sep.24th - Oklahoma City, OK @ Chameleon Room
Sep.28th - Tucson, AZ @ The Rock

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Nice to see that I'm still totally justified in hating this band.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

loving Blood Eagle, man

I thought we were talking about Amon Amarth not Manilla Road?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Deceiver of the Gods is growing on me, but it's still no WOoOS or TotTG. Still, solid stuff and worth listening to.

Anyways, Turisas are putting out a new album this year, and uhhhh. The first released song is... weird. I'm not even sure yet if it's good weird or bad weird. But I'm effortlessly listening to it for the third fourth time in a row (mostly to try to get to grips with it) now, so at least it's not downright horrible.
EDIT: After three more listens, I have to admit I do like it.

Apparently the upcoming album's title is just "Turisas2013" (yes, without a space) and the tracklisting is as follows:

quote:

1. For Your Own Good
2. Ten More Miles
3. Piece by Piece
4. Into The Free
5. Run Bhang-Eater, Run!
6. Greek Fire
7. The Days Passed
8. No Good Story Ever Starts With Drinking Tea*
9. We Ride Together

*: Yes, really. I have no idea what the hell either, but with a title like that I certainly hope it's not just some insipid interlude.

Really looking forward to hearing what the hell is it these guys are up to. Maybe now people will finally stop calling them folk metal, at least.

EDIT2: Came across this tidbit on Blabbermouth:

quote:

Comments Nygård: "When it comes to the production, it's just the opposite of the polished and massive 'Stand Up And Fight'. It's raw and dry and in your face, but still maintaining that TURISAS largeness.

"People attest us that we are a great live band, and we wanted the album to be based more around that than orchestral massiveness. It's our most varied record to date and even if some of the songs sound very different, I think the common thread is that every single one has a lot of energy to it."

So if it's really that varied, I suppose it's reasonable to expect songs like "We Ride Together" to be more of the good ole Turisas Battle Metal and not weird like this first one.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 26, 2013

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I thought the last Turisas album kinda sucked, but I actually like the new song. The vocals, piano and keyboard solo were all pretty enjoyable, and I'm a sucker for anything touched by prog and this song has that kind of tone to it. That is a stupid loving album title though.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Turisas2013 sounds exactly like what an untitled album sitting on a hard drive would be called. Titling the album that sounds like they just looked at the folder name and went 'gently caress it.'

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

RHTITE posted:

Thrash time! The new Birth A.D. record is pretty good. Continues from where they started with the demo. It also gives you a chance to let out that inner hard right politician you've got hiding beneath that crusty Wintersun shirt for a few minutes.

My only complaint about hte Birth AD is that a lot of hte EP was rerecorded for it so that means less new songs. Its pretty much the only new thrash/crossover type thing I bother listening to. Sometimes on certain songs the vocals are a bit monotone for too long(like popular war, which is one of my favorite songs despite the monotone), but overall I love it.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Fans of disgusting, murky death metal: Rejoice! The new Vasaeleth song rips.

Apparently the new Autopsy is out now too, has anyone listened yet? We might get Vasaeleth and Grave Miasma within a month of each other... Grave Miasma are set to release around their September tour with Necros Christos, and Vasaeleth is due on August 20th. drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
I didn't go so anyone who went...gently caress YOU!

Absu at Hellfast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzDtyxVzNP4