Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

AdjectiveNoun posted:

On that topic, what is the least believable Roman alt-history you've heard? Because oh boy there are a ton.

Someone recommended an alt-history podcast for me, and the very first episode is Steampvnk Rome Conquers the World. I figure it's supposed to be fluffy thought experiment stuff, but I can't suspend my disbelief hard enough to hear "SUDDENLY RAILROADS IN GERMANIA!" without rolling my eyes clean out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Seoinin posted:

Someone recommended an alt-history podcast for me, and the very first episode is Steampvnk Rome Conquers the World. I figure it's supposed to be fluffy thought experiment stuff, but I can't suspend my disbelief hard enough to hear "SUDDENLY RAILROADS IN GERMANIA!" without rolling my eyes clean out of my head.

Holy poo poo, I would rather believe the Assyrians were actual demon worshippers and they just hosed up their ultimate world domination ritual, resulting in a rain of iron on what would later become Rome, so that the Romans could go on and plant railroads in Germania.

Where exactly did get "Steampunk Rome" all that metal needed for stuff like railroads, anyway? Or did Rome just have magically more ressources available like through some sort of trans-dimensional cheatcode?

On the other hand, an alt-history story with Assyria summoning demons to prevent the collapse of their empire would be pretty neat.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
What was Rome like when Justinian retook it?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Libluini posted:

Holy poo poo, I would rather believe the Assyrians were actual demon worshippers and they just hosed up their ultimate world domination ritual, resulting in a rain of iron on what would later become Rome, so that the Romans could go on and plant railroads in Germania.

It seriously sounds like something written by a teenaged nerdlord who just got turned on to ancient history. Towards the end, Rome conquers China...

...with STEAM TANKS :unsmigghh:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What was the hurdle that iron producers had to get around? Because iron deposits are all over the place, right? Britain didn't see a lot of iron structures until after they'd been using coal for a couple hundred years, but was that an issue of technique, machinery, or fuel?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
As far as I know the metallurgy required to create a working steam engine was pretty far out of Roman hands and their cultural opposition to labor-saving devices was really deeply ingrained so no one was going to go looking for a way to make it work anyway. Also their ability to access the coal and iron needed was pretty much crap compared to the 19th century. I think this thread has already talked about why the Romans never utilized steam power so if you look back you should find a better answer. It seems to be a recurring topic.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The two principle issues were a lack of refinement in the iron and a lack of pumps to facilitate deeper mines, I'm pretty sure. Better refined metals (which wouldn't come for centuries after the fall of the west) make for more applications for them which creates more demand for them which means deeper mines are necessary along with like a billion other factors. You have to understand that while the Dark Age was a pretty big fall in a lot of ways there's still more than 1500 years of progress between Rome's height and industrialization.

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

AdjectiveNoun posted:

On that topic, what is the least believable Roman alt-history you've heard? Because oh boy there are a ton.

I just finished a series of short stories about "what if Rome never fell?" and ugh. First the intro was a badly done *wink* explaining Moses' exodus never succeeded, and therefore no Christianity. Then, Roma(as it's always referred to) just naturally follows 'our' history, with Mohammed(who is assassinated, so no Muslims), the discovery of "Nova Roma" across the ocean where the redskins live, circumnavigation, etc. leading up to automobiles and a fracturing of Latin into familiar regional dialects. Then there is the author's inaccuracy and inconsistency in naming things-Londinium is used once or twice, but Londin more often, and Paris changes to Parisi.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, the hurdle for iron was how you smelt it. Blooming, which was the process that everyone in Europe was using is pretty hard to use to make large quantities of usable wrought iron. Blast furnaces, which were in use in China around the same time, are better, but not by much.

The Romans weren't really about to improve on that either. Improved methods didn't really come along until the 18th century, by which time we had developed a much better knowledge of chemistry than Rome ever did.

The Baroness posted:

I just finished a series of short stories about "what if Rome never fell?" and ugh. First the intro was a badly done *wink* explaining Moses' exodus never succeeded, and therefore no Christianity. Then, Roma(as it's always referred to) just naturally follows 'our' history, with Mohammed(who is assassinated, so no Muslims), the discovery of "Nova Roma" across the ocean where the redskins live, circumnavigation, etc. leading up to automobiles and a fracturing of Latin into familiar regional dialects. Then there is the author's inaccuracy and inconsistency in naming things-Londinium is used once or twice, but Londin more often, and Paris changes to Parisi.

Parisi? :psypop:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Imagine what would have happened if that one Roman-Persian leadership-level marriage actually happened. I forget which couple it was, but the family would have potentially controlled both empires.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Koramei posted:

The two principle issues were a lack of refinement in the iron and a lack of pumps to facilitate deeper mines, I'm pretty sure. Better refined metals (which wouldn't come for centuries after the fall of the west) make for more applications for them which creates more demand for them which means deeper mines are necessary along with like a billion other factors. You have to understand that while the Dark Age was a pretty big fall in a lot of ways there's still more than 1500 years of progress between Rome's height and industrialization.

Even then, Britain wouldn't have moved to steam had they not been close to stripping the island bare of trees in the 18th century. The shift to coal as a heating fuel necessitated the mines and then the transportation and delivery system that overwhelmed pack animals and drove the innovations needed for steam power.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

karl fungus posted:

Imagine what would have happened if that one Roman-Persian leadership-level marriage actually happened. I forget which couple it was, but the family would have potentially controlled both empires.

I don't know if it is what you were thinking of, but Caracalla was supposed to marry a
Parthian princess but instead slaughtered the entire wedding party because he was just that kind of a dick.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Giodo! posted:

I don't know if it is what you were thinking of, but Caracalla was supposed to marry a
Parthian princess but instead slaughtered the entire wedding party because he was just that kind of a dick.

Yes! That was it. Imagine what could have happened, though!

Also, here's another question. How did the Byzantines treat the Jews? Also, did the empire have a substantial Islamic population at some point?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Giodo! posted:

I've only just gotten to Caracalla in The History of Rome podcast and I already don't like him, looks like I have more to look forward to.

Edit: Holy poo poo, he I Love Lucy'ed the Imperial Palace; killed his exiled wife purely to spite his already dead father-in-law; and had his brother killed right in front of their mother. Is he the WORST Emperor of all time, or do I have even worse to "look forward" to?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 26, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

karl fungus posted:

Probably nothing would have happened. It's not like Rome and Persia would have just decided to be buds from then on it.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

karl fungus posted:

What was Rome like when Justinian retook it?

I'm also interested in hearing more about this. The Eastern Empire is very interesting and is always my favorite faction in the Total War games.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Seoinin posted:

It seriously sounds like something written by a teenaged nerdlord who just got turned on to ancient history. Towards the end, Rome conquers China...

...with STEAM TANKS :unsmigghh:

Bah, that wouldn't work, obviously. China had rockets, so they would have jury-rigged some sort of Anti-Steam-Tank-Katyusha and blown them all up. Obviously. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

I've only just gotten to Caracalla in The History of Rome podcast and I already don't like him, looks like I have more to look forward to.

Edit: Holy poo poo, he I Love Lucy'ed the Imperial Palace; killed his exiled wife purely to spite his already dead father-in-law; and had his brother killed right in front of their mother. Is he the WORST Emperor of all time, or do I have even worse to "look forward" to?

Let me tell you about a young man known as Elogabalus...

e: Seriously, don't look up anything.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

A transgender/transvestite 14 year old as emperor? What could possibly go wrong!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh yeah I think he's in the next episode, I just finished up the one on Macrinus' short reign. It's always kind of sad to learn about a guy who wasn't a COMPLETE rear end in a top hat and how that comes back to bite them on the rear end.

So Severus' bloodline was pretty screwed up, I guess.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I am working on a game at the moment and need a hercules female equivalent... is there one? Or a pair of Zeus children I can use. The idea is you select the sex you want to play and the demigods are similar. I really dont know much greek mythology.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Not sure you are going to find a female version of hercules. The Greeks were rather dedicated sexists. The only warlike women were Amazons.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not sure you are going to find a female version of hercules. The Greeks were rather dedicated sexists. The only warlike women were Amazons.

Is there one who has some talent? It just needs to be the equivalent to hercules' strength.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nobody's equivalent in strength. Athena is the warrior woman, but she represents intelligence and tactics, not strength. Artemis is a hunter, that's something I guess?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

You also specifically mentioned demigod's, and pretty much all of them are like Helen of Troy. The only benefit their demigod status gives them is being amazingly hot and desirable. And Circe can turn people into pigs.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
There's Atalanta:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atalanta

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
She works thanks! Gonna be a fun game, check out the game jam for look at the end of july.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Funny thing is, I remembered first learning about Atalanta in the game Age of Mythology. She was one of the heroes you could recruit, so I guess your idea is not very original.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

thegasman2000 posted:

She works thanks! Gonna be a fun game, check out the game jam for look at the end of july.

This is a little late to the game, but there's always Penthisilea, Queen of the Amazons, daughter of Ares, who fought at Troy.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Did Alexander have any plans to conquer Carthage or expand west? I remember reading that somewhere, but it may have been a fictional book.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ego-bot posted:

Did Alexander have any plans to conquer Carthage or expand west? I remember reading that somewhere, but it may have been a fictional book.
When Alexander died he was in the planning stage of a massive western invasion (Rome, Carthage, Gaul, Iberia) that was supposed to rival his eastern one. And then as soon as he died all his generals decided that building the retardedly large fleet Alexander wanted and funding another massive expedition was less interesting then killing eachother.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Slantedfloors posted:

When Alexander died he was in the planning stage of a massive western invasion (Rome, Carthage, Gaul, Iberia) that was supposed to rival his eastern one. And then as soon as he died all his generals decided that building the retardedly large fleet Alexander wanted and funding another massive expedition was less interesting then killing eachother.

A good summary.

Had Alexander survived things might've been very different. Rome strangled in its cradle.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

thegasman2000 posted:

I am working on a game at the moment and need a hercules female equivalent... is there one? Or a pair of Zeus children I can use. The idea is you select the sex you want to play and the demigods are similar. I really dont know much greek mythology.

Dunno for Greek mythology proper, but I remember Ovid mentioning in Metamorphoses a woman (I think she was called Caenis? Something to do with dogs) who was such a complete badass that she got the ultimate reward for her strength by transforming...into a man? I haven't touched Ovid in a couple of years, though, so my memory is hazy and probably really faulty.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Slantedfloors posted:

Wasn't Alexander going completely-out-of-his-mind crazy at this point? If so his generals may have just gotten lucky and Mother Nature just happened to assassinate Alex before anyone else could step up to the plate. Which reminds, me how's the theory that he was murdered by poison carried by a disgruntled satrap's herald regarded? I remember reading that a modern medical panel dedicated to ancient/famous autopsies ruled it out, but not why they did so. It's been a few years since I've read up on this so my memory is a bit hazy.

edit: another weird little detail I have a hazy recollection of. Didn't Alexander's invasion of Carthage and the West rely on some really bad geographical assumptions like being able to sail around Ethiopia and going around Africa while a land army marched along a massive coastal road Alexander wanted constructed to connect Egypt and Carthage?

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 27, 2013

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ithle01 posted:

Wasn't Alexander going completely-out-of-his-mind crazy at this point? If so his generals may have just gotten lucky and Mother Nature just happened to assassinate Alex before anyone else could step up to the plate. Which reminds, me how's the theory that he was murdered by poison carried by a disgruntled satrap's herald regarded? I remember reading that a modern medical panel dedicated to ancient/famous autopsies ruled it out, but not why they did so. It's been a few years since I've read up on this so my memory is a bit hazy.

I think he was really depressed because his special friend had just died unexpectedly and he was drinking heavily as a way of self-medicating. Haven't heard anything in the line of "madness" about Alexander. Like King Robert, he was better at winning an empire than ruling it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't think he was crazy, he was just the definition of a megalomaniac. Which I guess you could classify as crazy, I suppose.

He was also a bit paranoid at the end, but to be honest for a man in his position there's usually some justification for that.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
What was Rome even like in the time of Alexander?

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

karl fungus posted:

What was Rome even like in the time of Alexander?

Still restrained to Italy for the most part. This is pre-Punic wars even, afterall.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's a bit before my era, Eggplant Wizard could answer better. But in the 300s Rome had beaten up its immediate neighbors and was becoming one of the major powers of Italy, with Magna Graecia being the other. The Roman army still used hoplites, but was beginning to transition into the legions. The war with Pyrrhus would come fairly soon after Alexander's defeat, leaving Rome as the dominant power of Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a bit before my era, Eggplant Wizard could answer better. But in the 300s Rome had beaten up its immediate neighbors and was becoming one of the major powers of Italy, with Magna Graecia being the other. The Roman army still used hoplites, but was beginning to transition into the legions. The war with Pyrrhus would come fairly soon after Alexander's defeat, leaving Rome as the dominant power of Italy.

Was Magna Graecia actually a political entity? I thought its various cities were still divided and squabbling and pretty much Greek Poleis.txt and that's why they even called Pyrrhus over in the first place, because they couldn't manage to even muster up a cohesive army to defend themselves.