Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Have I reiterated on this page that half-blind LPs as described here are one of the best ways to go about things, at least in my opinion? No? Well now I have.

I'm here too, and I agree with this assessment. Nobody's asking you to be a walking Prima guide on the game - just play enough of it that you can answer the questions "am I competent at this game?" and "does this game deserve to be shown off?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lazyfire posted:

No no no, you are supposed to ignore the advice, get into a verbal slapfight with someone and then disappear forever.

How are we supposed to deal with someone listening?
This happens about once a month, you'd think we'd have figured out a way to deal with situations like these by now.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

JT Jag posted:

This happens about once a month, you'd think we'd have figured out a way to deal with situations like these by now.
That would be assuming they lurk or read the forums before posting their original LP groups or blind LP's. But in other dire LP news, who here is saddened by the tragic break-up of the Game Grumps? Truly a comedic duo that we're all sad to see go.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Wow.

butthurt youtube commenter posted:

I wish Jon all the luck in the world with JonTron, and I'm fine with Arin wanting a new partner to continue the show... BUT THIS? STEAM TRAIN?

REALLY?? They really want to start up a new show where they play games on a channel where they play games? Jesus loving christ just pull the trigger on my brain right now because this is unprecedented.

I don't particularly care a lot about GameGrumps. I have watched their videos in the past and it doesn't really phase me, I may have even laughed a handful of times but god drat I can't believe how people are reacting to it. It is truly the end of the world for GameGrumps fans.

The new show could actually be interesting (featuring PC games and presumably a focus more on indies) if they didn't have such grating commentary and goofy "character voices" over the first example episode. Definitely isn't painting a very good image of what the show may be like.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Why the gently caress is Kotaku treating that as a piece of news.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Spiffo posted:

Or being the blind co-commentator.

This is a fun one. I had no idea what I was getting into with Rogue Galaxy and the sheer idiocy it gets into was WONDERFUL.

Lazyfire posted:

No no no, you are supposed to ignore the advice, get into a verbal slapfight with someone and then disappear forever.

I know! It's like... we need a new standard protocol for this, now.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Why the gently caress is Kotaku treating that as a piece of news.

Because Kotaku is a piece of poo poo site that will report anything game related ever?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

kalonZombie posted:

I know! It's like... we need a new standard protocol for this, now.

OPs are like EULAs: no general user will read them.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JT Jag posted:

I've just become so used to "gently caress you guys, my blind run of the entire Final Fantasy Tactics Advance series will be an amazing series of 600 videos where I read text in funny voices and don't edit the failed attempts at each map at all would have been the best LP here." That imagining anything else hurts my brain.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

JT Jag posted:

I think the thread puts out its collective anger on (usually undeserving) people.
I admit I kind of like that command mission LP, just needs a lot less commentating and the magic of Editing. Worked with the Rogue Galaxy LP.

Also:

Habermann posted:

You might also consider sticking to your incredibly awkward "animated reviews" series, or maybe taking some time to upgrade your website from Web 1.0.
Why would you do this?

Scoutfreak
Jun 26, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Sorry my bad, still pretty new here.

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?

Scoutfreak posted:

Sorry my bad, still pretty new here.

That's no excuse to actually accept criticism and be reasonably pleasant to deal with overall! The nerve!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

He should have spent more time reading the thread, then he'd know how to act. :colbert:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I don't understand why they freak out over the change in Game Grumps and the new show. They're exactly the same! It's just different people! I'll pretend I'm not painfully aware of the state of Youtube garbage and ask if this is just some sort of Jontron/Egoraptor dicksucking going on here since I don't see any way "game grumps" translates to "IT'S ABOUT JON AND ARIN ONLY THIS IS TERRIBLE AND THIS IS ALL BAD AND FORCED AND THE BEST IS OVER IT WILL SUCK FOREVER NOW"

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I think it's just because people don't like change and Egoraptor/Jon had been doing it for like a year straight every single day (not literally on their end but to the viewer there was 1-3+ videos a day of them). In reality they just bulk recorded on weekends and dumped videos out throughout the week but I guess that was too much work for Jon who puts out videos once every half a year. I don't really know what he does day to day but it doesn't seem like he has a day job so why recording for a few hours on weekends gets in the way of his game review thing is beyond me.

edit:
Oh this is loving golden... thanks to the tweeterverse(it's called that, right?) I found this wonderful reddit post with some heavy conspiracy theorizing and speculation about how this is some Kojima level ruse.

This paragraph in particular cracks me up:

quote:

I have no doubt that [Steam Train*] would've been terribly received. Were it hosted anywhere else, it would've been completely ignored like the vast majority of mediocre "Let's Plays".
*Their new show about PC games on Steam

Yes because GameGrumps is a shining example of non-mediocre Let's Play.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 26, 2013

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Niggurath posted:

But in other dire LP news, who here is saddened by the tragic break-up of the Game Grumps? Truly a comedic duo that we're all sad to see go.

I'm cryeing more than the day LMFAO broke up. RIP Game Friends.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

judge reinhold posted:

I'm cryeing more than the day LMFAO broke up. RIP Game Friends.

Thankfully, LMFAO came back together recently. Maybe a happy ending will come in this saga too :unsmith:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pungry posted:

Thankfully, LMFAO came back together recently. Maybe a happy ending will come in this saga too :unsmith:

Yeah, I guess someone could then explain what both of these things are to me at once if Gaming Grumps or whatever gets back together soon.

Scoutfreak
Jun 26, 2013

withheldmcfakename posted:

That's no excuse to actually accept criticism and be reasonably pleasant to deal with overall! The nerve!

I guess I'm just not cut out for this place.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Scoutfreak posted:

I guess I'm just not cut out for this place.

We're extremely deadpan in sarcasm. We're also not used to a sameday registration not being all "gently caress you I am the supermaster of LPs you shits should take lessons from ME" and actually being reasonable about the criticism of his/her presentation.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think everyone is trying to out-deadpan everyone else at this point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Psion posted:

No we're not.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"

Let's Play Legend of Legaia!

I just wanted to run this by the Sandcastle to see if there are any major problems. The last games I LPed had proper face portraits for the characters, so I want to make sure my new portraits taken form the in game character models look vaguely human.

Also, I was wondering how people typically handle music in games. In my previous LPs, the games had music menus, but Legend of Legaia has no such feature that I know of, and I don't have the soundtrack. I'd like to show the music off as there are some great tracks. Is it acceptable to just link to someone else's Youtube vids, or is there another suggested method of getting the music, or should I just leave it out?

Those are my main concerns. Of course, if you notice any other issues I'd like to hear about them.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Psion posted:

Please quit beating a dead pan.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

ThatPazuzu posted:

Please quit beating a dead pan.
Now you're just pandering.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Ceciltron posted:

Now you're just pandering.

Please stop this before it gets any more pandemonious.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Overrated Sage posted:

Also, I was wondering how people typically handle music in games. In my previous LPs, the games had music menus, but Legend of Legaia has no such feature that I know of, and I don't have the soundtrack. I'd like to show the music off as there are some great tracks. Is it acceptable to just link to someone else's Youtube vids, or is there another suggested method of getting the music, or should I just leave it out?

That's what I've been doing for my current LP, so I sure hope it's acceptable!

(I've seen other LPs do it too, it's allowed.)

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
bweep bwoop I want to start up another "community lp" -type thread because I think it would be pretty cool and rad. Something I'm not so sure about is my own skill here, especially with regard to commentary. Doing group post for this first video, considering swapping out to just myself so I can edit better and plan out what I want to talk about more easily, you know how it is (probably)

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=13996

The footage from the PS3 is a bit fuzzy and slightly washed out so I'll have to tinker with my PVR settings but I think it might look better in 720p whenever YouTube decides to set that up. Also I think I accidentally upscaled it? I'll watch out for that in the future, but unfortunately I'm not in a good position to rerecord it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I DON'T WANT PAN

but seriously no more pan puns

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
/\/\/\EDIT: Can I keep mine at least? It's true facts.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Please stop this before it gets any more pandemonious.

Pans are the highest form of humour :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zorak posted:

I DON'T WANT PAN

but seriously no more pan puns

How do you feel about pot jokes? :350:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

How do you feel about pot jokes? :350:
I think he's a little burned out on them.

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need

ARACHNOTRON posted:

bweep bwoop I want to start up another "community lp" -type thread because I think it would be pretty cool and rad. Something I'm not so sure about is my own skill here, especially with regard to commentary. Doing group post for this first video, considering swapping out to just myself so I can edit better and plan out what I want to talk about more easily, you know how it is (probably)

The footage from the PS3 is a bit fuzzy and slightly washed out so I'll have to tinker with my PVR settings but I think it might look better in 720p whenever YouTube decides to set that up. Also I think I accidentally upscaled it? I'll watch out for that in the future, but unfortunately I'm not in a good position to rerecord it.

I think this is a really neat idea, but I can't get your video to load at all. Even when I try to download it, I just get a 40 kb file that does nothing.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Video plays fine for me.

PokeCrysis
Apr 15, 2013

I'm also having some trouble with the video. I've tried watching it on youtube a couple of times and it won't play. Then, when I try and download it the video is either comes down as a small file, or downloads and doesn't play, it might just be my internet though.

E; guyz these pot jokes are making me sad. Pan > Pot.

PokeCrysis fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 27, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Oh gently caress yes, I'm sure I could rustle something up for this. I hope you go through with this.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012

Hello guys

I'm about to post a mainly screenshot LP of Sid Meier's Pirates (1990 Amiga version). I have a test post on the offsite tester: click. Any critique appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: The intention is to play the game with Goons choosing our next journeys and targets.

SirDifferential fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 27, 2013

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SirDifferential posted:

Hello guys

I'm about to post a mainly screenshot LP of Sid Meier's Pirates (1990 Amiga version). I have a test post on the offsite tester: click. Any critique appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: The intention is to play the game with Goons choosing our next journeys and targets.

I loved this game on Amiga! I still have the original paper map somewhere. Be sure to show the full map in your LP, otherwise it might be hard to follow where you're going. Maybe you could even crop the map to show the area around your ship at the beginning of each update, and plot your progress on a bigger map.

Your screenshots have large black borders. Are these really needed?

In the videos I would suggest displaying the subtitles for longer, or showing only one line at a time. Reading and

Don't forget to record all the songs in the main menu. Sid Meier really loves his Bach!

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I loved this game on Amiga! I still have the original paper map somewhere. Be sure to show the full map in your LP, otherwise it might be hard to follow where you're going. Maybe you could even crop the map to show the area around your ship at the beginning of each update, and plot your progress on a bigger map.

Your screenshots have large black borders. Are these really needed?

In the videos I would suggest displaying the subtitles for longer, or showing only one line at a time. Reading and
Don't forget to record all the songs in the main menu. Sid Meier really loves his Bach!

Good feedback. Map will be included and I have a template ready. I'll do some editing and remove the black borders, and will see if it looks better that way. I'm not sure if I agree on the subtitle display time though, but maybe they could be displayed longer without any problems.

EDIT: After taking another look, I agree on the subtitle timing.

SirDifferential fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 27, 2013

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

PokeCrysis posted:

I'm also having some trouble with the video. I've tried watching it on youtube a couple of times and it won't play. Then, when I try and download it the video is either comes down as a small file, or downloads and doesn't play, it might just be my internet though.

E; guyz these pot jokes are making me sad. Pan > Pot.

For you dudes having trouble it could be your connection (the video was 1.2 gigs which is probably too large but I have no clue how this stuff works) or it might be YouTube acting up again because I couldn't watch videos for weeks. It works for me and it seems to work for that other dude so I don't know :(

I'll see if there are some problems with the upload after I get home though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

ARACHNOTRON posted:

For you dudes having trouble it could be your connection (the video was 1.2 gigs which is probably too large but I have no clue how this stuff works) or it might be YouTube acting up again because I couldn't watch videos for weeks. It works for me and it seems to work for that other dude so I don't know :(

I'll see if there are some problems with the upload after I get home though.

The video works fine for me and the size of the source file shouldn't play in to what the viewer sees as YouTube re-encode the video to their format anyway so if anything it's a weird problem on the viewers end or more than likely a YouTube issue (which they are notorious for).

• Locked thread