Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

loving finally LTE is available in Winnipeg! Granted I'm on 3G now inside the hospital but it was cool peering down and seeing the indicator up top.

A co-worker of mine described the Winnipeg market as being the hot-tub time machine of Canada's cellular market. It made a lot more sense when I saw so many consumers using BlackBerrys in public, and not just businessmen but I guess that's because MTS hasn't really had any Android devices until recently and they have a strangehold on the market. I still find it so annoying having piss-poor coverage with Bellus when I go there for work but it's nice that MTS isn't the only option for LTE now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I know this is far from an original thought, but I'm sitting in the UK right now, and it really, really stings how badly Canadians get hosed on cellular. It's not even just about cost - the levels of bullshit here are so minimal compared to Canada. They have some really great offerings too, like £15 for a 3-month 3GB PAYG tablet sim, etc - things that are unimaginable in the True North.

I really hope this latest CRTC sabre rattling turns out to have teeth, and not the usual roar of a paper tiger.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

I know this is far from an original thought, but I'm sitting in the UK right now, and it really, really stings how badly Canadians get hosed on cellular. It's not even just about cost - the levels of bullshit here are so minimal compared to Canada. They have some really great offerings too, like £15 for a 3-month 3GB PAYG tablet sim, etc - things that are unimaginable in the True North.

I really hope this latest CRTC sabre rattling turns out to have teeth, and not the usual roar of a paper tiger.

Yeah. When I was in the UK I paid 15GPB for 300 minutes, 3000 outgoing text, unlimited data.

Imagine that in Canada.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I just went to Rome for a week and picked up a SIM for the iPad while I was there, since my boyfriend had some business to take care of and we wanted to be able to stay in communication.

We didn't get this package, but they were doing a special where for 35€, you get 30GB of LTE. Or you could pay 199€ and get 10GB of LTE every month for a year.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ $39 - $10 monthly for that plan is a fantastic deal. How'd you swing that?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Got off my family account with Rogers and moved to my own since the rents are now moving to Italy. Snagged something for $45/month with unlimited text and pictures, 1000 minutes in the day, unlim evening and weekends 500MB (don't need anymore). I was not anticipating something like that. I think I asked the guy about 2GB and it would jump to like $70!

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional
So, is it worthwhile to go into one of the stores and try to haggle with the reps?

I'm about to sign up for a plan/iphone, but was just going to order it online.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing I've learned about getting a phone in this country, it's NEVER do it online.

But that's just me.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
The amount of people who sign up for phones/plans online completely baffles me. Although I guess these same people would be equally baffled by the fact that we have dozens if not hundreds of people coming into our store to pay their loving bills. My God my dad is about as ignorant as you can get with technology and he was shocked when I told him people pay their bills in a store.

Anyway, going into a store to haggle won't get you far. The iPhone (or any phone) price is generally set in stone and cannot be changed unless there's a promotion going on. So you can ask if there is one, but it's not really haggling if you have to give up after the first no. As for the plan, there are sometimes unadvertised plans, but again they generally cannot offer anything different than what's currently in market. If you want to really haggle, you generally need to do it over the phone with customer service and they may have to mail you out a phone. Just so you know, this is often a terrible process and stores are mostly shut out from being able to help you with any problems with the plan you arranged.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005
Verizon offers $700-million for Wind, holds talks with Mobilicity.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/us-business/verizon-offers-700-million-for-wind/article12815327/

Things are getting interesting here, Verizon certainly has the resources to wreck the big 3, and build a robust network if they can combine Wind and Mobilicity. However, you could've made the same argument about Vimpelcom, and they want out bad.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Stupid question:

How do I go about retaining my 416 number when switching from Rogers to WIND? I've done my research and want to go with WIND but I know they'll tell me whatever I want to hear to get me to sign the contract and I don't trust Rogers as far as I can spit.

Do I go to WIND boutique and sign first, then come home and call Rogers to pay my 8 month cancellation fee? I assume the Rogers cancellation only takes place at the end of my monthly billing cycle, correct?

Thanks in advance :)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Stupid question:

How do I go about retaining my 416 number when switching from Rogers to WIND? I've done my research and want to go with WIND but I know they'll tell me whatever I want to hear to get me to sign the contract and I don't trust Rogers as far as I can spit.

Do I go to WIND boutique and sign first, then come home and call Rogers to pay my 8 month cancellation fee? I assume the Rogers cancellation only takes place at the end of my monthly billing cycle, correct?

Go to the WIND store and tell them you'd like to bring your number over from Rogers. WIND will port it over and send the cancellation notice to Rogers. Rogers will cancel you and send a final bill, including the cancellation fee and 30 days of service. (I think they still require 30 days as far as I recall.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Stupid question:

Have you tried calling Rogers to see if they'll match what you'll be getting with Wind?

Having used Wind ... the network service is atrocious compared to Rogers.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Have you tried calling Rogers to see if they'll match what you'll be getting with Wind?

I did this. They simply won't match it or even try to.

Carrying your number over is pretty easy though. Just go to a WIND kiosk and tell them you want to port your number over and they'll take care of the rest. It will take a day for the process to complete so in the mean time they assign you a temporary number to use. Once it's done, their automated system will text you to let you know that the move went through and you can start using your old number again.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Technically I didn't have the same amount of data, but I got as much as I needed by calling Rogers, for within $5-10 what I would have been paying on Wind. The extra $10 is fine for actually being able to use my phone at home downtown and at my relatively remote office. Both are apparently dead to AWS signals.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

teethgrinder posted:

I live in the heart of Toronto, so I'm not too concerned. Frankly, my Rogers coverage is god awful too. About 25% of calls don't even arrive already, I just get a text notifying me of a missed call. I'm mostly interested in the Unlimited Data.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

yellowcar posted:

I did this. They simply won't match it or even try to.

Carrying your number over is pretty easy though. Just go to a WIND kiosk and tell them you want to port your number over and they'll take care of the rest. It will take a day for the process to complete so in the mean time they assign you a temporary number to use. Once it's done, their automated system will text you to let you know that the move went through and you can start using your old number again.

My mother, brother, and I switched from Rogers to WIND last holiday season. My brother's number was ported almost instantly, my mother's took a few days (I called them and complained), and mine took two months. Rogers made me pay for those two months, too, despite them admitting that they did not provide me a service during this time.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You could have escalated your complaint to the CCTS. They cannot make you pay for service they didn't provide. I don't blame you for not wanting to be bothered at the time though, but keep it in mind for future reference.

2 months port time is atrocious.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to get their hands on Google Play Store versions of the HTC One and/or the Samsung Galaxy S4, what Canadian networks would they work on?

Edit: Thanks DarkJC!

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 26, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Galaxy S4 frequencies:

Unlocked GSM/UMTS/HSPA+/LTE
GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
3G (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (700, 850, AWS, 1900 MHz)

HTC One frequencies:

Unlocked GSM/UMTS/HSPA+/LTE
GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
3G (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
HSDPA 21, HSUPA 5.76
4G LTE (700 MHz, AWS)

Those are pasted from the Google Play Store. Given those frequencies, they would be supported by Bell/Rogers/Telus as well as their discount brands, Virgin/Fido/Koodo, and should work on their LTE networks as well. They will not work on WIND / Mobilicity since neither phone supports the 3G AWS band.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Which is odd, wasn't the original Galazy S4 pentaband? Am I remembering wrong?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Lol, Rogers stock down 8.8% on the Verizon news.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lexicon posted:

Lol, Rogers stock down 8.8% on the Verizon news.
Monopoly guaranteed ARPUs :ohdear:

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

OilSlick posted:

The amount of people who sign up for phones/plans online completely baffles me. Although I guess these same people would be equally baffled by the fact that we have dozens if not hundreds of people coming into our store to pay their loving bills. My God my dad is about as ignorant as you can get with technology and he was shocked when I told him people pay their bills in a store.

I didn't do this but only because I couldn't. The service at wind from the brick and mortar stores and through internet/phone is like night and day. When I switched my number over the sales associate was one of the most incompetent and rude people i've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. To the point where I just wanted to get the gently caress out of the store as quickly as possible. I ended up just getting the add ons done and setting the rest up over the phone and through email, and it was some of the fastest most efficient service I've had.

The only reason to go into a store if you already have a phone is if you need a sim card I guess. But even then it should be easy to ship something like that.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
So I just setup Rogers over the phone, switching from Telus, whenever we port a home phone number here at Shaw we always need to get bill info from the customer and it takes a week to port. Is the process different for cell? The sales rep said I need to call Telus once the phone and SIM come and let them know to switch. Seems kind of convoluted.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

DariusLikewise posted:

So I just setup Rogers over the phone, switching from Telus, whenever we port a home phone number here at Shaw we always need to get bill info from the customer and it takes a week to port. Is the process different for cell? The sales rep said I need to call Telus once the phone and SIM come and let them know to switch. Seems kind of convoluted.

Wireless porting is pretty instant. The reason they're asking you to call is that if they process the order immediately, you'd have no service until your phone arrived. (because the activated number would now be on the mobile phone in the mail, leaving your TELUS device useless.)

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

less than three posted:

Wireless porting is pretty instant. The reason they're asking you to call is that if they process the order immediately, you'd have no service until your phone arrived. (because the activated number would now be on the mobile phone in the mail, leaving your TELUS device useless.)

Yea, but he said someone from Rogers told him to call Telus, which makes no sense.

As less than three said, you have to call Rogers when your phone shows up (it will have a temporary number) and they will do the port-in. They will need your Telus account number, PIN or IMEI.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

WienerDog posted:

Yea, but he said someone from Rogers told him to call Telus, which makes no sense.

As less than three said, you have to call Rogers when your phone shows up (it will have a temporary number) and they will do the port-in. They will need your Telus account number, PIN or IMEI.

Ah whoops. I just assumed it said "call Rogers" My bad.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

WienerDog posted:

less than three posted:

Ah whoops. I just assumed it said "call Rogers" My bad.

Got it, just a week away from getting away from Telus' terrible Manitoban coverage.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Only vaguely "cellular" related, but is the well of 416 numbers completely dry, or do they become available from time to time? I imagine it's like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine is trying to get a 212 number.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Martytoof posted:

Only vaguely "cellular" related, but is the well of 416 numbers completely dry, or do they become available from time to time? I imagine it's like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine is trying to get a 212 number.

I don't know about 416, but in Montreal 514 is supposed to be full because of cell phones... Yet within the metropolitan Montreal area, some districts still have plenty of 514 numbers. Through sheer insistence, I managed to get two very mnemonic numbers in that area code through Line2 and Freephoneline. I would imagine VoIP services have a larger pool of unused numbers than cellular, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's probably a huge hassle anyway :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 27, 2013

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Martytoof posted:

Wonder if it's possible to do VOIP then port the number away. I have a VOIP carrier for a landline (:corsair:) but I can add another number to it.

I was wondering the same, actually. The reason I got these VoIP numbers is I was hoping to go for a data only (tablet) flex plan on my phone, and switch to a 100% data based cell phone... But SIP over 3G sucks, and Line2 is barely better. But since the VoIP numbers I have are way better than my cell one, I wouldn't mind dropping the cell number and instead use SIP as a WiFI landline.

just loving ditch the bandwidth wasted on antiquated cellular voice protocols and rely on data, already. :argh:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Is there a technical means by which Fido might block tethering on a device (factory unlocked iPhone) that didn't come from the carrier? Basically, I'm wondering if that $39 plan with 600MB would be technically capable of tethering, even though they say it's only "supported" on plans with >= 1GB data (obviously extensive tethering is a bad idea with so little data - just curious if it would work)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

I don't know about 416, but in Montreal 514 is supposed to be full because of cell phones... Yet within the metropolitan Montreal area, some districts still have plenty of 514 numbers. Through sheer insistence, I managed to get two very mnemonic numbers in that area code through Line2 and Freephoneline. I would imagine VoIP services have a larger pool of unused numbers than cellular, though.

They give 514 for cellphones to the whole (most recent) former 514 area, which includes 450, which they split off in the first place because they were running out of 514.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Lexicon posted:

Is there a technical means by which Fido might block tethering on a device (factory unlocked iPhone) that didn't come from the carrier? Basically, I'm wondering if that $39 plan with 600MB would be technically capable of tethering, even though they say it's only "supported" on plans with >= 1GB data (obviously extensive tethering is a bad idea with so little data - just curious if it would work)

Tethering support is controlled by the carrier on iPhones, whether the phone is locked or unlocked I'm afraid. I know my brother with a Rogers 500MB plan does not have tethering, so it's possible they could block it.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Is there a way for Rogers to send a message if you've almost reached your limit in sent text messages?
My little sister went over her text limit again (2,500) and got dinged for $30 in overage. She got a text from Rogers after going over the limit.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

iLikeMidgets posted:

Is there a way for Rogers to send a message if you've almost reached your limit in sent text messages?
My little sister went over her text limit again (2,500) and got dinged for $30 in overage. She got a text from Rogers after going over the limit.

Is it possible? Yes

Is it profitabe? No. See, if they tell you after, they make more money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Martytoof posted:

They become available daily. If you active in the morning you can get a recycled one; when people cancel numbers they go into holding for a period of time (one year?) then they become available again.