Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Ceciltron posted:

If they're in a bank vault, chances are they were destroyed/gotten rid off when they liquidated the jewels.

Well the answers were not in the vault, Egbert confirmed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

rookhunter posted:

What if that person still has the answers and doesnt know?
What if they dug them up?

I say we at least try and find out who this person is.
If they don't have the answers, they may know where they are.

What thinks?

More than likely it was his wife. If he was as absent minded as he's claimed to be, she literally may not have found the solutions in all the mess.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
She's said she didn't find them. :/

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 12 Verse 9 (Northwest Washington) San Juan Island

This is near perfection as a match given that other factors mainly the verse brought me to this area and then in the spass landscape here is a lone radio beacon lighthouse in the background. A radio beacon specifically designed for total darkness navigation. It's also a much better interpretation than a dark planetarium, because it applies to total darkness, not just a low light setting. Notice how the boundaries of this lighthouse and centered door fit precisely the panel in the image.

Sails pass by night
Even in darkness

This view came up a few times when I googled for images, so I expect it's a common spot to take photo's from. A bench?

I cut the water part into two main sections and then flipped and rotated each and stacked them to see if some of the contours or striations matched at all. I can't tell, but the scene looks like it could've been developed from a polaroid.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

There's a replica of the Statue of Liberty at Alki Beach in Seattle, as well.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Deteriorata posted:

There's a replica of the Statue of Liberty at Alki Beach in Seattle, as well.

Is (was) there a pier clock nearby, I wonder?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Seattle is 100 miles south of San Juan.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xie posted:

Seattle is 100 miles south of San Juan.

Nah, it's only a couple of inches. ;)

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Seattle might be the nearest airport Preiss would've landed in. I like Alki as a historic point of interest for the first settlers. That Statue of Liberty is a nice thing to consider. The right panel in the image does suggest a pier clock, so a two hour drive from airport to Anacortes, and then a 1.5 hour ferry trip from their pier may have been his plan.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

If you want to give me a 100m radius I'll bet I can match any cask to any verse to almost any city in the USA.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

xie posted:

If you want to give me a 100m radius I'll bet I can match any cask to any verse to almost any city in the USA.
I would be surprised if you couldn't make any verse fit to any city in North America with more than 100,000 people. Speaking of which, the book says the casks are buried in North America, not the US and Canada (North America includes Central America.) Has anyone ever even considered the possibility that one or more could be in a Central American country?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

I would be surprised if you couldn't make any verse fit to any city in North America with more than 100,000 people. Speaking of which, the book says the casks are buried in North America, not the US and Canada (North America includes Central America.) Has anyone ever even considered the possibility that one or more could be in a Central American country?

Yeah, I thought of that and also of the Caribbean. Too many possibilities.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
This may be a dumb question, but is there a reason it's generally accepted there isn't a cask in Los Angeles? I've seen no speculation about LA at all, and it's better known, has more park options for burials, and is a lot easier to get to than Roanoke or St. Augustine. I'd think America's second largest city would be high on the list of possibilities. But it just isn't.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

don Jaime posted:

This may be a dumb question, but is there a reason it's generally accepted there isn't a cask in Los Angeles? I've seen no speculation about LA at all, and it's better known, has more park options for burials, and is a lot easier to get to than Roanoke or St. Augustine. I'd think America's second largest city would be high on the list of possibilities. But it just isn't.

I don't think there's a refutation of any specific place, it's just that we have 10 casks left, and some of the portraits are pretty straightforward as to location (Milwaukee, e.g.), and none of the questionable ones have any identifying info pointing towards L.A.

So it's not unreasonable, we just don't have any positive evidence for it, such as building outlines, lat/long coordinates, rebuses, etc.

Bog Chef
Apr 20, 2004

make me a pizza with toileto toppings

Abugadu posted:

I don't think there's a refutation of any specific place, it's just that we have 10 casks left, and some of the portraits are pretty straightforward as to location (Milwaukee, e.g.), and none of the questionable ones have any identifying info pointing towards L.A.

So it's not unreasonable, we just don't have any positive evidence for it, such as building outlines, lat/long coordinates, rebuses, etc.

There is already a confirmed location in California, it seems the casks were buried in 10 separate states to let as many people as possible geographically into the hunt?

allta
Mar 28, 2011
So this is just a thought but people have been trying to dig and find these things for this long and someone mentioned the number of people digging in the fountain of youth archaeological park was so bad the director/owner had to hire security at night.

Most of these are (allegedly) in parks, but in the case of the Roanoke cask it's on federally protected land so you have to wonder how many people have risked the 10,000 dollar fine in attempt to find the cask.

What I'm trying to get at is how would we go about getting permission to dig there? Out of the remaining casks Roanoke seems to be the one of the easier ones except for the fact you cant actually dig there.

I don't know really just a thought.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

allta posted:

Out of the remaining casks Roanoke seems to be the one of the easier ones
I don't think Roanoke is as close to being solved as everyone else does. The clues lead up to the general area of the Fort and Gardens, but then there is nothing but conjecture and (in my opinion) ill fitting clues to confirm the final dig location. That leaves a bunch of different places where the sugar bowl has been guessed to be buried, but nothing to really prove it. If it is even possible to get permission to dig on the land, I don't think anyone would get it without something to solidly confirm the location.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Sham I Am posted:

I don't think Roanoke is as close to being solved as everyone else does. The clues lead up to the general area of the Fort and Gardens, but then there is nothing but conjecture and (in my opinion) ill fitting clues to confirm the final dig location. That leaves a bunch of different places where the sugar bowl has been guessed to be buried, but nothing to really prove it. If it is even possible to get permission to dig on the land, I don't think anyone would get it without something to solidly confirm the location.

I'm curious, what part of the solve don't you like?

SoulTaco
Apr 8, 2003

lic posted:

That may be so...

But even still: "In rhapsodic man's soil" like clockwork refers to the statue of William Shakespeare which is roughly 22 steps east of Columbus' statue. Obviously, we can't go dig up central park though, so I guess it's moot.

"Noun

1 An effusively enthusiastic or ecstatic expression of feeling.
2 A free instrumental composition in one extended movement."

Look for a musician. Perhaps at Lincoln Center, it's around 5 blocks north of Columbus Circle.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
Milwaukee

Took a stroll through Lake Park yesterday for fun and counted the steps of the Grand Staircase; they are indeed 95 as has been noted before. If you discount the first 4 steps at the bottom (which lead to a rather long landing) you can get 91 steps out of it, but that again isn't 92. Unless Preiss hosed up. Also didn't see any birch trees in the park, at least from Lake Park Bistro to the north. When I have some more time, I'm just going to stroll through the rest of the park to see if I can find any birch trees at all (I think another poster said they couldn't find any either).

BUT HERE'S SOMETHING CONCRETE (pun intended): this pattern is on a parking garage one block West of Cathedral Square on Wells St. It perfectly matches the pattern on the woman's collar in the picture:

google maps link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Milwa...142.64,,0,-2.72

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

rookhunter posted:

I'm curious, what part of the solve don't you like?
Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing you are absolutely wrong, I just have reservations. I keep comparing it to Cleveland, where the illustration had multiple clues as to the location in it. Columns, a couple of fountains, the very wall where the casque was buried. All the Roanoke clues lead up to the area around the EB/Fort (or more specifically IMO to the path by the marker stone), but there is nothing that says "dig here" in any of the locations deemed to be the final spot. The illustration has not really been much help so far (if it weren't for the map of Roanoke, I might even question if it were the correct image at all; I did do a little looking into the possibility that it may point to Philly, but aside from some tenuous numbers that could be coordinates for Philly I didn't find much, and I could not discount the map).

For example this (taken from Q4T image 3 thread)...

Is not very compelling considering you could find a match for a line with a cross member just about anywhere you looked.

Or the path in the map(from a PDF you linked earlier)...

isn't really a very close match to the illustration at all. It is similar, sure, but not all that similar.

And to be honest, I don't find the bench to be all that compelling as an answer to what "Under that,
Which may be last touched, Or first seen standing" means.

It just seems as if we have a lot of tenuous clues that have been deemed close enough, but none that really point to the bench (or anywhere else for that matter) as being the right spot. While I agree that the clues could point to the bench, they just do not seem to fit well enough that we could get permission to dig based on them, which is why I am not as convinced as most of you seem to be that the Roanoke casque is all but found and just needs to be dug up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Bit posted:

Milwaukee

Took a stroll through Lake Park yesterday for fun and counted the steps of the Grand Staircase; they are indeed 95 as has been noted before. If you discount the first 4 steps at the bottom (which lead to a rather long landing) you can get 91 steps out of it, but that again isn't 92. Unless Preiss hosed up. Also didn't see any birch trees in the park, at least from Lake Park Bistro to the north. When I have some more time, I'm just going to stroll through the rest of the park to see if I can find any birch trees at all (I think another poster said they couldn't find any either).

BUT HERE'S SOMETHING CONCRETE (pun intended): this pattern is on a parking garage one block West of Cathedral Square on Wells St. It perfectly matches the pattern on the woman's collar in the picture:

google maps link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Milwa...142.64,,0,-2.72

That looks relatively new. Before you get too excited, do some research into when it was built and if it looked like that in 1980. Perhaps it actually is old but with fresh paint.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

That looks relatively new. Before you get too excited, do some research into when it was built and if it looked like that in 1980. Perhaps it actually is old but with fresh paint.

It looks like a typical 60s/70s style building, however.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

The building definitely looks old when you see it in person, it doesn't look new at all. It's also a super-short parking garage; all the new parking garages in the past couple decades have been several stories tall and purely functional in design. The ornamentation on this thing suggests to me that it's from a while ago. But yes, we should look into it.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Yes, I agree.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Do all of the sticks on the ground in the Milwaukee picture have any significance?

Also, the outline of Virginia in that one picture that we thought was St. Augustine is really convincing- it's about as close as the outline of Ohio in the solved Cleveland painting. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's in Virginia, though- maybe there's just something nearby that has "Virginia" in its name.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

Sham I Am posted:

All the Roanoke clues lead up to the area around the EB/Fort (or more specifically IMO to the path by the marker stone)
F
For reference, here's where the Marker stone you keep referring to is located: Right in the middle of the park's path, near the visitor center. Probably the most exposed spot to dig out of all the theories besides the Wright Memorial, which is basically a barren field on a hill.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Premeditated Toast posted:

For reference, here's where the Marker stone you keep referring to is located: Right in the middle of the park's path, near the visitor center. Probably the most exposed spot to dig out of all the theories besides the Wright Memorial, which is basically a barren field on a hill.

I know where the marker stone is. I was not suggesting digging by it, just that I believe it is possible that the trail of clues leads up to the path by it and then gets murky, not that the trail ends there.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

My point was more "don't assume it's old just because it looks old." Spending weeks developing a theory around it would be a waste if you later discovered it was actually built in 1983. Find out for sure first.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

Sham I Am posted:

I know where the marker stone is. I was not suggesting digging by it, just that I believe it is possible that the trail of clues leads up to the path by it and then gets murky, not that the trail ends there.

I'm sorry if my previous post came off as snarky or confrontational, long story short I've been dealing with a lot of personal stuff that's been piling up and I guess the stress has been starting to bleed through into poo poo like Treasure Hunts of all things. This cask in particular is a serious "less is more" conundrum, because there really isn't a lot of poo poo on this island compared to say Montreal, but that just makes it even more frustrating as we delve further and further into the minutia.

I tend to lean towards the garden gate theory, although if that's the case the cask very well may have been swept away by one of the hurricanes that have come through since '82..my memory's a little fuzzy on how high or low the ground is near the gate. The bench is another possible spot in my opinion (although I agree with you that the theory is more flimsy than the other) because it's halfway through the nature trail, and honestly not a lot of people go on it compared to the main route. It would be a nice secluded area to dig, but I also fear that the bench might be bolted down to a slab of concrete so it doesn't get blown away by hurricanes. Either way the search area we're dealing with is no big sweat compared to the other casks, so if we're wrong, it won't take much energy to keep on looking :) I'm hoping to head down there some time in the middle of July, but I'm also trying to get in touch with one of the people who works at the Fort to see about permissions.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Milwaukee

The Monkey Man posted:

Do all of the sticks on the ground in the Milwaukee picture have any significance?

If you click the ? on my name, you'll see a post of mine where I put up a pic and suggested the "step on nature cast in copper" might be dried pine needles on a park floor (copper in color) and does resemble the image 'a bit'. Of course, that makes it a seasonal clue you can't pick up in any season outside of fall all that well. I'm keeping it in the back of my mind. If true, it also really isn't that specific of a clue as saying "It's in a Milwaukee park that has pine trees" which... there are many pine trees here.

On the same note, I travel to Holy Hill (located roughly North North West of Milwaukee) for fall almost every year and the German (and also Irish) influence on that area is pretty heavy. It also fits many other nature-based clues in the puzzle but, I've never paid enough attention to landmarks. You can see Milwaukee from the bell tower on top of the cathedral although you really almost need binoculars to do so clearly and you wouldn't see specific buildings we've noted (like City Hall). Anyone travel there enough to note if any monuments or landmarks from that area might fit the specific clues? It's a long-shot but, come end of summer or fall, I'd be willing to make a trip if we don't make any other headway in Milwaukee by then.

Also, good find on the Cathedral Square, Dr. Bit. This (people on the ground finding small clues) is the stuff we need to keep moving forward. I can't wait to be healthy enough to get outside again. I'll keep posting pics to my flickr account when I do.

I need to check out the Grand Staircase again. I went up it twice and counted ~115 both times. Either I'm a terrible counter or I was counting other stairs that others are not. Most likely, I am a terrible counter.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Oh, and the building with the outline of Milwaukee's City Hall looks more than a little like a cathedral to me, as in Cathedral Square.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

The Monkey Man posted:

Also, the outline of Virginia in that one picture that we thought was St. Augustine is really convincing- it's about as close as the outline of Ohio in the solved Cleveland painting. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's in Virginia, though- maybe there's just something nearby that has "Virginia" in its name.

Which one is that? I've been out of the thread for a while, but if there's something related to virginia I might be able to lend a hand, as a virginian myself.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

crashdome posted:

Milwaukee

I need to check out the Grand Staircase again. I went up it twice and counted ~115 both times. Either I'm a terrible counter or I was counting other stairs that others are not. Most likely, I am a terrible counter.

I should clarify: I counted 95 steps if you walk up only one side of the staircase. I didn't count the total number including the other side.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Cosmik Debris posted:

Which one is that? I've been out of the thread for a while, but if there's something related to virginia I might be able to lend a hand, as a virginian myself.

The negative space between the rock and the tree on the bottom right forms the outline of Virginia. We're pretty sure that this is near St. Augustine, Florida, but Virginia's outline is pretty unmistakable. Maybe this was supposed to be in the Roanoke picture and ended up in this one by accident?

EDIT: This is stretching it a bit, but the negative space between the tree and the edge of the painting is shaped a bit like Tennessee- an interesting juxtaposition, as those states don't share that border in real life.

There wouldn't happen to be monuments to states in the park at St. Augustine, would there?

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 27, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

The Monkey Man posted:

The negative space between the rock and the tree on the bottom right forms the outline of Virginia. We're pretty sure that this is near St. Augustine, Florida, but Virginia's outline is pretty unmistakable. Maybe this was supposed to be in the Roanoke picture and ended up in this one by accident?

EDIT: This is stretching it a bit, but the negative space between the tree and the edge of the painting is shaped a bit like Tennessee- an interesting juxtaposition, as those states don't share that border in real life.
My apologies if this has been asked and answered, but why is there no reflection of the tree in the water?

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Premeditated Toast posted:

I tend to lean towards the garden gate theory, although if that's the case the cask very well may have been swept away by one of the hurricanes that have come through since '82..my memory's a little fuzzy on how high or low the ground is near the gate. The bench is another possible spot in my opinion (although I agree with you that the theory is more flimsy than the other

For me the gate fits the image better, but the map fits the verse better. Judging the map theory on the image is a bit unfair, since the verse fits great IMHO. Re: image matches, bear in mind that the people working on this hunt have never had any decent photos of that area to toy with, and you're not going to find another Grant Park, no way Jose. (FOY is solid as a rock in most people's opinion, with no image match except Ponce in a different posture as a general clue for the park, not unlike the Roanoke map.)

BJG fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 27, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

There wouldn't happen to be monuments to states in the park at St. Augustine, would there?

The rock itself looks vaguely like South Carolina. Perhaps he's indicating North Carolina by showing the states that border it.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

The Monkey Man posted:

Virginia definitely does border Tennessee to the south, just not very much of it.

And that rock does look an awful lot like South Carolina, however it is mirrored. If the flat part were to border the atlantic, then the cutaway should be to the upper right where north carolina swings down.

In reference to the palm tree - that's on the state flag of southcarolina. So there's definitely virginia, tennesee, and the rock could be georgia, maybe, so he's just listing all the states that are near florida?

That doesn't make any sense.

I think the virginia and teneesee resemblance is coincidental, the outline of virginia is missing its distinctive horn at the point, which is what makes an outline of virginia look like virginia.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I suspect there aren't any deliberate state outlines there, and we're unconsciously inventing patterns from noise. That's the danger of putting too much emphasis on any one connection.

Virginia and Tennessee maps are a possibility, but don't fit anything else about the picture - which means they're probably not significant and we should put them on the back burner until we have other connections that would make them meaningful.

Good observations, though.