Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Syphilis Fish posted:

Likely it is a demo too, a judo friend of mine suggested that.

Xguard86 posted:

it looks like they're sparring but the younger guys are just doing to the balance break and lift instead of finishing throws and they're not muscling if they miss or get countered.

It works as a demo, and the old dude clearly does have amazing technique. I'm not disputing any of that. I would have loved it if the title of the video wasn't "Amazing OLD JUDO Throw Defense Mifune accepts challenges from high level students!" These aren't challenges, this is practice, or a demo.

Xguard, what you said would make sense if the announcer didn't breathlessly talk about how Mifune skillfully evaded a throw every time the student puts him back down.

There's this fantasy that physical conditioning isn't a vitally important part of any full-contact martial art (there's a bit in every martial arts urban legend where the tiny Aikidoka beats the crap out of the big dumb muscular dude,) and it pisses me right off. I really respect skill and experience, but I also really respect people who have conditioned and done cardio and buffed up for martial arts. It takes a shitton of effort and discipline, just like developing skills does, and it gets no respect.

And yeah, as you age your skills (mostly) remain, but a lot of your conditioning and power is lost. And that sucks. But it's important to loving accept it and work with those limitations instead of having a weird cult like thing where you yell really loud and slam yourself into the mat every time O-Sensei touches you. (This isn't referring specifically to the video we're talking about; the throws at least were real there, even if the sparring wasn't.)

I have to bullshit a lot, as part of my day job. For me, martial arts is a grounding, a place where there's no bullshitting. I have the goods, or I eat mat, and that's beautiful to me.

edit: I wrote the above before reading CivilDisobedience's reply, so I've yet to look into those explanations. Hang on.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Demonstrations are neither regular practice, nor are they fights or sparring.

The only one who would really be able to say what is going on in this case would be Mifune himself, who is long dead. His uke may be able to provide some input, but Mifune's intention were probably know to him alone.

I disagree with you that conditioning gets no respect and no attention. With the folks I've been practicing with the last few years, folks are congratulated for it and those that have done it are well respected.

Since Aikido seems like it is somehow cropping up into this discussion, it is best to leave it alone unless you know what you're talking about. The entire 'dive bunny' culture stems from most students wanting to make their teachers look good and Japanese teachers themselves not correcting this behavior. Say some Westerner guy trained then with these students who are their sempai (their seniors) the teacher neither blessed nor condemned their behavior and they seemingly pick it up as well. The cycle continues. Of course others are on record as being against this, and others still had a specific way they wanted folks to do ukemi to learn what they were teaching.

The subject on body skills is that they're there and they exist (in many martial arts), and its not something as overt as going for an additional hook or just putting more pressure on the guy. There is much more to it than that.

It is also foolish to assume that just training 'normally' is going to get you there, it won't. Aikido and Daito Ryu are both prime examples of a martial art where you have a small few at the top, who really put in the time for solo training who are good, then you have other's who put in time doing partner training which results in a inferior copy. Then you have others who don't put in the time period and are not that good. Unfortunately, the cause of the second case was primarily personal decisions of the teachers involved not to teach their students directly. Takeda took a very long time to really consider someone to be his student and be trustworthy. As for Ueshiba, it can be argued that from his viewpoint it may not have been necessary to pass on his skill to his students for what he was trying to teach, depending on the years. He went from teaching Daito Ryu which was very much the techniques and body skills he had learned from Takeda, to Aikido which towards the end of his life was literally about uniting Heaven and Earth and the grand balance of things(from his perspective).

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 27, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ashenai posted:

There's this fantasy that physical conditioning isn't a vitally important part of any full-contact martial art (there's a bit in every martial arts urban legend where the tiny Aikidoka beats the crap out of the big dumb muscular dude,) and it pisses me right off. I really respect skill and experience, but I also really respect people who have conditioned and done cardio and buffed up for martial arts. It takes a shitton of effort and discipline, just like developing skills does, and it gets no respect.

And yeah, as you age your skills (mostly) remain, but a lot of your conditioning and power is lost.

I say again, if you think Mifune is lacking in power there, rewatch the Kata Gurumas. No matter how good your kuzushi is, you don't lift guys like that without strength.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

fatherdog posted:

I say again, if you think Mifune is lacking in power there, rewatch the Kata Gurumas. No matter how good your kuzushi is, you don't lift guys like that without strength.

Yeah I know. The kata gurumas were kind of amazing. I just kinda went off on a rant about a pet peeve of mine there. I reread what I wrote and I don't think most of it even applied to the video, I was just kind of arguing with people who aren't in this thread. My bad.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Is there any discernable difference between judo/jiujitsu and hapkido? (Aside from their countries of origin, of course)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Judo rules almost exclusively favor standing throws, Jiu Jitsu rules (you did mean the BJJ variant right?) almost exclusively favor groundwork and submissions, and Hapkido sucks and does not compete thereby having no rules to favor.

This is a broad generalization, but yeah there are a bunch of differences. Hapkido for instance will teach wristlocks and small joint techniques whereas in BJJ and Judo your submissions are going to be the less easily defensible shoulders, elbows, neck and knees. Hapkido has a striking element, but it's not particularly good, but Judo and BJJ are entirely grappling based.

From what I can tell though the difference between traditional Jiu Jitsu and Hapkido isn't nearly so much as the jiu jitsu that most people mean when they use the term.

Novum fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 27, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr Interweb posted:

Is there any discernable difference between judo/jiujitsu and hapkido? (Aside from their countries of origin, of course)

http://www.bullshido.org/David_%22Race%22_Bannon

quote:

The stories grow more improbable with each passing chapter. Bannon additionally tells us about having to kill one of his former friends, lovers, and co-workers named Eunmi. This plot twist comes about when Bannon discovers that not only is she a North Korean secret agent but that she is trying to blow up the South Korean ANSP offices at Mt. Nam, South Korea. He catches her right when she is about set off a car bomb at this location, stabs her, and then is knocked out by two North Korean secret agents who are skilled enough to smuggle him to a torture camp in North Korea but not evidently competent enough to set off the car bomb. (RAE, p. 252) Then there are some horrific torture and murder scenes in a North Korean prison camp before Interpol and the South Koreans finally managed to trade an North Korean agent for him. (RAE, pp. 253-261) They were able to figure out it was Bannon in captivity in North Korea because when they found Eumi's body "Hapkido knife work has a unique signature"
Maybe the signature is a slashing H?

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

My first amateur fight is this Saturday, K1 rules, it's been a really spontaneous decision to step up.

My conditioning is good, I feel pretty confident, and my weight is on point after cutting carbs for the last days. I'm at 86.5kg right now, gotta stay under 88kg or they'll stick me into the Openweight division.

My only concern - It's a four hour drive away and we leave at 5 am, so lack of sleep may be a factor.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Good luck!

You could be so amped up missing a few hours of sleep shouldn't be a factor. Probably won't be even if you are Mr. McCalm de Relaxed and really chill.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Judo is fun for mostly standup and some matwork

BJJ is fun for all matwork

Hapkido is fun when you want to screw around and pretend you're in the WWE. But is definitely only worthwhile as a supplemental martial art, not a primary one.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Neither judo nor BJJ have enough focus on suplexes and scissor takedowns. Sambo supremacy.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
All those silly martial arts are all inferior to the one true grappling combat sport, Glima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haS_FaTekE

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Neither judo nor BJJ have enough focus on suplexes and scissor takedowns. Sambo supremacy.

Scissor takedowns (Kami-Basami) used to be part of Judo, but got banned after a bunch of people kept getting their legs broken and/or loving up their knees (including an Olympic champion) defending against them. I think that happened in the early 1980s. Still fun to do in practice sometimes though.

Sambo does own.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Scissor takedowns (Kami-Basami) used to be part of Judo, but got banned after a bunch of people kept getting their legs broken and/or loving up their knees (including an Olympic champion) defending against them. I think that happened in the early 1980s. Still fun to do in practice sometimes though.

Sambo does own.

Yeah, scissors will gently caress up your legs (especially ankles) if you try to stay standing. We normally don't allow it during sparring unless we've been drilling it and the person knows to fall when it happens. So great for setting up leglocks though.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
They're banned in BJJ too (at least IBJJF for certain), so there you go. I never actually knew why until now, although I did figure it had something to do with legs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This is the match that caused Kami Basami to be banned in Judo. It's a graphic leg break, so don't click if you don't want to see that.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 28, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

McNerd posted:

They're banned in BJJ too (at least IBJJF for certain), so there you go. I never actually knew why until now, although I did figure it had something to do with legs.

Even if the takedown itself wasn't higher-risk, as soon as you hit the mat you're reaping the leg which is illegal in IBJJF rules anyway.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ashenai posted:

Xguard, what you said would make sense if the announcer didn't breathlessly talk about how Mifune skillfully evaded a throw every time the student puts him back down.

My assumption there was that the english dubbing was either added later to some old footage or that the English speaking guy didn't really understand what was going on.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
drat, I have been training both mornings and nights lately and it is really paying off! I've completely changed my jits game from arm hunting to neck hunting (and being the lightest guy in my gym at 140lbs, there is exactly 0 room for error with that poo poo)

Meanwhile, my standup seems to be really taking off too, I feel like I can see for miles in every direction and I can even do Mifune style Judo now, no joke.

The problem is that it's really taking a toll on my body- I am sore as all gently caress this morning, right elbow is stiff and tender, and I look like a dalmatian from all the bruises... I don't know how long I can keep up this level of training intensity without putting myself at serious risk of injury.

What do you guys think, should I just keep going hard until something stops me or should I take a break and give my body a chance to recover? I want to make the most of my time while I seem to be in Godmode, but I don't want this to be the cliche 'big injury at the height of his grappling career' story, ya know?

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 28, 2013

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Are you doing foam rolling and flossing and all that poo poo after classes? I find foam rolling really helps stop any aches before they start.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
You can only run at redline so long before something breaks. There's a reason good coaches have their athletes taper down after a peak.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
flossing? Whats that? I assume you're not talking about teeth.

I'd recommend working a rest week into your schedule where you train less and recover. Otherwise you're on the road to injury and/or burnout.

I say this because I spent 4 years training very hard and in constant nagging pain as a result even after I cut back and trained less for another 2 years. I've had trouble staying in the gym this year just because it hurts so much and I always felt so crappy.

3 weeks ago I went to a sports med doctor that put me on PT and am starting to feel a ton better but still have pain and I regret not going earlier or taking more breaks so it wouldn't get so bad. So I highly recommend preventive measures and rest before you get problems.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Yeah, and those breaks will only get more important as you age. You're not Earl Campbell; you don't need to be crippled at 40 to have fun today.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

flossing? Whats that? I assume you're not talking about teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDOeoL7Ezbg
Be a supple leopard!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I still don't get it. The band holds part of the muscle in place to stress a different spot?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/sambos-gulag-past-and-mma-future

I thought this was a nice little article about sambo's roots, for those who are interested.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I have the opportunity to pay $30 for a BJJ seminar with a guy called JT Torres next week. Google implies that's probably worth the price. Anybody have any firsthand experience with him?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Thoguh posted:

I have the opportunity to pay $30 for a BJJ seminar with a guy called JT Torres next week. Google implies that's probably worth the price. Anybody have any firsthand experience with him?

I'd say that's quite a deal as he's part of the new breed of bjj and was with Lloyd up until the recent scandal. I've seen him live and he has a pretty explosive and athletic game.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
JT Torres and DJ Jackson came to my gym for a seminar about a year ago when we were still affiliated with Team Lloyd Irvin (prior to all the rapey-ness) and shortly after they got their black belts. Both of them were great instructors and they stuck around to roll with us for quite a while after, so I'd say $30 is a steal. I also got to watch them tap out Dominick Cruz a bunch when he came by to visit, so good times. Just make sure you let him know what pace you want to go at if you roll with him, a couple guys came away with some bruised ribs just from his knee on belly pressure.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

I still don't get it. The band holds part of the muscle in place to stress a different spot?

I'm not really great at explaining the technical aspects of it but it's taken care of shoulder and elbow aches immediately. I have his book but I haven't taken the time to read through it completely.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

KidDynamite posted:

I'm not really great at explaining the technical aspects of it but it's taken care of shoulder and elbow aches immediately. I have his book but I haven't taken the time to read through it completely.

how do you use it on your shoulder?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Thirty bucks is a good deal for any seminar that you get something out of.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

how do you use it on your shoulder?

Go to mobilitywod.com and look at the DailyRx. That will explain everything.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

CivilDisobedience posted:

drat, I have been training both mornings and nights lately and it is really paying off! I've completely changed my jits game from arm hunting to neck hunting (and being the lightest guy in my gym at 140lbs, there is exactly 0 room for error with that poo poo)

Meanwhile, my standup seems to be really taking off too, I feel like I can see for miles in every direction and I can even do Mifune style Judo now, no joke.

The problem is that it's really taking a toll on my body- I am sore as all gently caress this morning, right elbow is stiff and tender, and I look like a dalmatian from all the bruises... I don't know how long I can keep up this level of training intensity without putting myself at serious risk of injury.

What do you guys think, should I just keep going hard until something stops me or should I take a break and give my body a chance to recover? I want to make the most of my time while I seem to be in Godmode, but I don't want this to be the cliche 'big injury at the height of his grappling career' story, ya know?

I do this. Every thursday I take the night session off. I usually can't train too hard on friday nights open mat either, but I can come in on saturdays noon session to roll (OMW NOW IM LATE.) My body is pretty much perpetually sore. I suggest eating healthy, lots of water, get some supplemental vitamins/creatine/etc. The bruises will go away. The soreness won't if you keep pushing yourself. Rest longer once every few (4-5) weeks.

Did you jump in from 0 experience? or have you slowly amped up the training over time? That is also key.

Thoguh posted:

That's a steal. JT Torres is amazingly good. Others have already suggested so, so i'm just adding to the pile.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
^Thanks for the advice! Yeah fixing my diet is priority 1, I'm still eating McDonalds all the time and getting by on like 1500 calories/day, it's bad.

For experience I've got a competitive Judo background and I've been doing subs-only nogi with some purple belt friends for a while, but switching from ~6hrs/wk of that to ~21hrs/wk of BJJ has still been a pretty serious change. I'm still not really sure I want to resign myself to perpetual soreness, but I guess if that's what it takes to get into competition shape I'll just have to deal with it.

The only real concern I have about my current set up is that these guys don't ever go light or practice flowing, they go at 100% intensity every goddamn time (even in drilling!), and I think it might be overkill. They justify it by saying, "You'll compete the way you train, so go hard every time" and they have the medals to prove it, but I'd really prefer to learn to win methodically instead of relying so much on athleticism.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I didnt realize there was a such thing as seminars for 30 bucks other than like womens self defense seminars taught by some fat dude, any time someone comes around toronto its like $100, or $200 for the platinum deal where they take a picture with you afterwards or something stupid

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

So this happened yesterday: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151447653811529&set=vb.532306528&type=2&theater

Not sure if that link is going to work, watch the dude in the white Gi. warning :nms: I was about 5 feet away watching that match happen and heard the dude scream in agony, it was pretty bad. Good event overall though got to watch Kit Dale towel up some Brazilian black belts who's names I can no longer remember and guys from the club I go to took out 2 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze. For anyone who doesn't know who he (Kit Dale) is, he's an Aussie BJJ prodigy, got his black belt after 4.5 years and has only lost in tournaments 3 times, just once in his own weight class and those losses have only ever been by advantage. Dude took out worlds as a blue and came runner up as a purple. He started training in 2008 he rolled the entire time with a huge poo poo eating grin.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Where do you train, Blindsite?

zagron
May 10, 2012
Hey guys, I recently signed up with a MA gym in a regional town in NSW, Australia.

So far enjoying the poo poo out of it, roughly $100/month for 3 days a week (the limit is a bit crap, but it works for me regardless) and you have your choice of training in regular Kata, weapons, jui jitsu, MMA, karate, muay thai, boxing and a bunch more classes.

I'm only doing the muay thai and boxing classes at the moment, because the other ones don't really pique my interest.

I come to you out of curiosity though, as a person who has never been into this kind of stuff before, knows next to nothing about professional fighters and fighting, has anyone heard of the head honcho of this particular gym. From what I understand he seems fairly well known (at least in Australia maybe) and the gym tends to talk up his popularity.

Pollets: His name is Ian Pollet

quote:

"World Tournaments

Hanshi Ian Pollet has been the ISKA Grand World Champion in Traditional Forms since 2008. He defended, and won the prestigious event again in October 2011."
Or is this huffing something that you generally see across the board to get people signed up?

Regardless, I'm enjoying myself and finding his classes great, but as I said, just curious as to whether he was well known or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Where do you train, Blindsite?

I used to train at bunch of places, but I'm want to compete in BJJ now so I've changed to Garra BJJ.

• Locked thread