Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's gradually become less and less in touch with reality as he's become more successful, and seems to think that because he was poor once when he was young that he understands poverty completely, and that anybody who is poor pretty much made the bed they lay in. Additionally, he seems to have become a total misogynist, and he actually treats his staff on his show worse then he treated people like Anderson and engineer Chris. Essentially, Adam has become a typical entitled well off white male who feels that somebody making 15K should pay the same amount of taxes as he does (although that's a holdover attitude from his Loveline days, it's become a hot button issue for him). It should be noted he used to be way more centered politically and I distinctly remember him having a good conversation with Patton Oswalt and Brian Posehn, who were doing a benefit show for John Kerry about why people should vote for John Kerry instead of Bush, and Adam actually did a good job of explaining why the rationale of "Anybody but Bush" was not a great attitude and how he wasn't sold on Kerry.

He also thinks there's nothing wrong with Glenn Beck and that Glenn is just "a guy who loves his country and family".

There's also his racism, which has always been there, but has now blossomed into full blown dickhead territory. Never get tired of his rants against undocumented workers as he talks about his nth house built by immigrant labour. It has become very difficult to listen to either Adam or Drew as I grew out of my teenage years and realised they both live in an echo chamber and absolutely hate the idea of taking on new information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah ...

But good times, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Yeah ...

But good times, right?

He'll send you a windbreaker.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

WDIIA posted:

Interesting how things evolved. Still no "Good Times," "Shocking," or Junior College digs yet.

I started listening in 1998 and I'm pretty sure he made fun of junior college quite a bit back then. In fact, I think they've been hitting JC's pretty hard in the 1996 episodes the Classic Loveline podcast is airing.

When TACS was still on the air, one of the local Seattle Community Colleges had the sense of humor to have Adam do spots for them.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
I've been listening to all the available eps chronologically (Although I started before the Classic Loveline Podcast got started, so I've missed those), and while it's popped up a few times, I don't think it's a "thing" yet. Or at least if it was, they must have been an order to put kibosh on it for awhile in early 1999, which is where I've been for awhile

Or maybe I'm just an idiot

Working around metal is in full effect though

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Its been said before, but the commercials on the classic podcast are sketchier than anything I ever remembered in the past.

website building (with dot com and dot net support), web research, adult stores, personal training certification (on-line program)... And Adam and Drew are personally vouching for some of them.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

CatchrNdRy posted:

Its been said before, but the commercials on the classic podcast are sketchier than anything I ever remembered in the past.

website building (with dot com and dot net support), web research, adult stores, personal training certification (on-line program)... And Adam and Drew are personally vouching for some of them.

Well some things never change since Adam is hocking one of those scamming "get an iPad for 35 cents!" auction websites and some kind of brain pill to make you smarter or some poo poo on his podcast.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Ez posted:

Well some things never change since Adam is hocking one of those scamming "get an iPad for 35 cents!" auction websites and some kind of brain pill to make you smarter or some poo poo on his podcast.

the horrible crap I just mentioned are current commercials inserted in the classic podcast, not from 1996. I don't know why in 2013 a company feels the need to mention support of .com internet sites in your commercial.

There was even an advertisement for a pill that is supposed to clean a woman's mouth... yes after that. I would think the demographic that would look for the classic podcast would not fall for these things.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 13, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Podcast one seems ridiculously out of touch with how podcasts work, they also do the Mike and Drew from Loveline podcast, and it's like I'm listening to really lovely radio from the commercials they play and the transitions they use. It's gross. The podcast itself is fun though, although this latest one sucked...God I have such a love/hate relationship with everyone involved with loveline

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
How are you surprised that a huge corporation like Westwood None is having trouble making a podcast that doesn't sound like crappy radio?

Radio is all about being out of touch with the audience.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Crappy radio is drat right. Would it kill them to run a normalisation on the audio, as well as clean up things like hiss and hum where present before releasing the episode?

Like many people, I listen the podcasts while commuting and some of callers are basically unintelligible because of the wide range in volume.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

God if only Giovanni could get in there and really fix things, ya know?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Newest episode of Classic Loveline is Heidi Fleiss. Anyone listened to it yet? Is it the infamous one where they got threatened by LAPD?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Brekelefuw posted:

Newest episode of Classic Loveline is Heidi Fleiss. Anyone listened to it yet? Is it the infamous one where they got threatened by LAPD?

I feel like it can't be because that one was confiscated by the LAPD, if I remember correctly. I can't imagine how even SUPERFAN GIOVANNI could get his hands on that one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't think it was confiscated per se, from memory they needed to run off a copy for the LAPD so they could sue her/the station about it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It would have been a live radio broadcast so like any other episode someone could have just recorded it off their equipment, right?

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Not Loveline, but on the most recent episode of The Adam and Drew Show the guests are Adam's five year old twins and it's rather adorable :3:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hormones posted:

Not Loveline, but on the most recent episode of The Adam and Drew Show the guests are Adam's five year old twins and it's rather adorable :3:

Yeah it was pretty cute. They're their dad's kids.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah it was pretty cute. They're their dad's kids.

So was Sonny ranting about how he hates chicken S parking tickets, and how he is going to grow up to be gay?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well he has a catchphrase already to go along with dad's "dig, dig, dig"

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Hormones posted:

Reminds me of a Loveline recording I just listened to where Drew brought his kids into the studio. I'm surprised Adam didn't screw them up for life.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I started listening in 1998 and I'm pretty sure he made fun of junior college quite a bit back then. In fact, I think they've been hitting JC's pretty hard in the 1996 episodes the Classic Loveline podcast is airing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcL4LyBkBOA

If you enjoy JC compilations, this playlist will give you 50 minutes of Good Times

Not sure how BBcode handles playlists, so here's the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcL4LyBkBOA&list=PL4B60D54AB11D1A09

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

Reminds me of a Loveline recording I just listened to where Drew brought his kids into the studio. I'm surprised Adam didn't screw them up for life.

They sound adorable and healthy... but they're only in grade one, so I guess five or six. Who knows what could happen. I hope they turn out great.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Adam may have some dumbshit opinions on things but he's never said anything that really made him sound like he'd be a bad parent. If anything the years of listening to what happens to neglected kids and also his personal experience probably make him a pretty cool dad.

I enjoy the new podcast but man they need to take more calls and randomly talk a lot less.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
WHY CAN'T I MEET ANYBODY?!
887-889-DATE

What a useless service these days.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Call the date line
Call the date line!

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
One phone call is all you need to make.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I'm listening to the 2002 Jeremy Piven episode, and they are talking about in the 90's being picked up by college kids in lovely old half-running hatchbacks to do college speaking engagements. TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Haerc posted:

I'm listening to the 2002 Jeremy Piven episode, and they are talking about in the 90's being picked up by college kids in lovely old half-running hatchbacks to do college speaking engagements. TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

Didn't Adam once try to get a ride home from the station on air? I know there's one show where he was begging for a ride to the airport or something.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

AuntBuck posted:

Didn't Adam once try to get a ride home from the station on air? I know there's one show where he was begging for a ride to the airport or something.

And then there was the time his car broke down and he had to beg some guys who ran a fortune telling business to bring him into the station

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

AuntBuck posted:

He needed someone to take him to the airport at like 4 AM and Drew offered to pick him up, but Adam would have had to wait in the car while Drew saw a patient. A caller said she would do it and Adam said to meet her at the bottom of the hill near his house. Of course, she never showed up and Adam had to lug his stuff back up the hill to call for a cab (or drive himself? I forgot).

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Jubs posted:

He needed someone to take him to the airport at like 4 AM and Drew offered to pick him up, but Adam would have had to wait in the car while Drew saw a patient. A caller said she would do it and Adam said to meet her at the bottom of the hill near his house. Of course, she never showed up and Adam had to lug his stuff back up the hill to call for a cab (or drive himself? I forgot).

If I'm not mistaken, that story continues with Adam getting to the airport too late, Drew gets off the plane to find him, they meet up outside the plane right as they shut the door, and they argue with the airline people right outside the plane but it's too late because the door's closed. Drew left his favorite jacket on the plane.

EDIT: Right, good recap in 2/23/1999, because the guest, the band Fastball, had also been on that plane

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Reeeaaally interesting interview with Lynette Carolla on episode #067 of The Dr Drew Podcast. She's giving a lot of insight into her marriage to Adam, Adam as a husband and father, etc. Lots of emotion and real honesty. It's been interesting to listen to, to say the least.

edit: Episode #068 continues the discussion but with a psychiatrist on hand to further dive into Adam and his childhood trauma and how that impacts who he became as an adult.

Both are great episodes!

Hormones fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 20, 2013

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
How much of those episodes is devoted to the Arias trial?
I started listening to 67, but I don't know who Arias is, and I really don't care to hear Drew and Lynette go all TMZ on it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Brekelefuw posted:

How much of those episodes is devoted to the Arias trial?
I started listening to 67, but I don't know who Arias is, and I really don't care to hear Drew and Lynette go all TMZ on it.
#67 is about thirty minutes of the Arias nonsense, skip ahead to about there and there's a clean shift of topic. I didn't know #68 continued the discussion, I'll check that out now too.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The second podcast is better, and I really think the guess doctor does a decent job of explaining Adam.

Surgeon General
May 26, 2004
Delightfully Mad
Oh poo poo, Doug Stanhope on Dr Drew's podcast.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Surgeon General posted:

Oh poo poo, Doug Stanhope on Dr Drew's podcast.

I don't know why, but Stanhope just rubs me the wrong way. He reminds me of Adam on those nights where he is acting really racist/sexist/stupid, but with none of the charisma.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Its a cultural thing, you can't judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surgeon General
May 26, 2004
Delightfully Mad
Doug Stanhope has been trashing the ever-loving poo poo out of Dr Drew for years now, if some of you don't know. That's why this is so interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuIV7e5LJms

• Locked thread