Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Things AT&T reps really won't ever want to do.

LOL yeah. If the average customer had ANY idea of what we are expected to do with them on every interaction...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have an old college acquaintance who lives in another state who has decided to treat his cellphone as his personal sounding horn for all things obnoxious. Every fleeting, obscene thought that enters his head he decides to send as a mass text to everyone on his phone list. Repeated requests to have him cease are ignored.

My phone is also my work phone and I've routinely missed important messages that get buried in his spam. I don't let coworkers borrow it on job sites as I'm afraid he'll text another one of his racist macros or poop pics he finds oh-so-hilarious. This definitely counts as harassment at this point. Apparently AT&T makes a subscriber pay $4.99/month for blocking features. Is it worth my time to call CS or go in to a store and try and get them to block this one number without having to pay the subscription?

I have an iPhone by the way, so no way to block it at the phone without jail breaking (and I'm on iOS 6.1.3).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

I have an old college acquaintance who lives in another state who has decided to treat his cellphone as his personal sounding horn for all things obnoxious. Every fleeting, obscene thought that enters his head he decides to send as a mass text to everyone on his phone list. Repeated requests to have him cease are ignored.

My phone is also my work phone and I've routinely missed important messages that get buried in his spam. I don't let coworkers borrow it on job sites as I'm afraid he'll text another one of his racist macros or poop pics he finds oh-so-hilarious. This definitely counts as harassment at this point. Apparently AT&T makes a subscriber pay $4.99/month for blocking features. Is it worth my time to call CS or go in to a store and try and get them to block this one number without having to pay the subscription?

I have an iPhone by the way, so no way to block it at the phone without jail breaking (and I'm on iOS 6.1.3).

Isn't Apple adding blocked messaging with iOS 7? If so, once September rolls around you won't have to pay anything. Although I thought care would block a specific number from call or text if you asked them. Maybe just calling it seems?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Anti-Hero posted:

Calling can't hurt (be able to block numbers is one of the reasons I would jailbreak iPhones when I had them though, it was the best). Or, maybe you can be sneaky about it. Send out a text that since it's your work phone, you have to switch numbers. If he still keeps sending texts, get a friend (maybe the opposite sex, so he really knows it isn't you) to call him back from your phone and freak out about these texts they are getting from a stranger, threatening to call the cops maybe.

Morwen
Feb 26, 2013

Anti-Hero posted:

I can tell you that a rep has no physical way to block a number for you unless you enable smart limits.

EDIT: Wow wrong account. This if Beefstorm. Thank you roommate for not signing out...

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Anti-Hero posted:

Have you thought about... explaining your situation and asking him to remove you from the group text?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Check the last sentence of my first paragraph. I have, and he ignores it. He's an rear end in a top hat.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Hero posted:

Check the last sentence of my first paragraph. I have, and he ignores it. He's an rear end in a top hat.

Change your number, enable smart limits, or tell him to STFU again. Unfortunately that's all I got. Like I said, reps have no way to block numbers without smart limits.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Alternatively you could contact the police and get a restraining order imposed for personal harassment. It would let him know you're serious and he'll either stop or face real criminal action. If you think this is over the top, it is. But if someone isn't respecting your privacy and you've made repeated attempts to stop him and it's affecting your work life, you have the right to cease contact. Worse even is if the content of the messages is offensive, racist, or NSFW - you can say you feel threatened.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks all for the advice. I'll tell him to STFU once more and consider contacting his local PD if he doesn't knock it off. Changing my number is out of the question; I'll pay AT&T their blood money before it comes to that.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just to let everyone know, AT&T will be waiving activation fees for the rest of the month. Pay attention to the siren question if you just activated before this.

AT&T Internal Memo posted:

AT&T will waive the $36 activation fee when customers activate a new line of service.

All customers activating a new line of service between Saturday, June 22, 2013, and Sunday, June 30, 2013, can take advantage of a waived activation fee. This offer is valid on all new activations including phones, tablets, wireless home phone, USB modem, and Mobile Hotspot devices, and can be combined with any existing promotion.

FAQs
How is the activation fee waived for customers?
There is no action required. The activation fee will automatically be waived.

What will show up on customers' bill?
Customers will see a $36 Activation fee followed by a $36 Activation Fee credit on their first monthly bill.

Will the activation fee show up on the CSS?
No, the activation fee will not show up on customers’ CSS.

Is this offer available on upgrade fees as well?
No, only activation fees are eligible for this offer.

:siren:Are customers within their BRE period eligible to take advantage of this offer? :siren:
While this offer is only available between June 22, 2013, and June 30, 2013, sellers should ensure they are following The Customer Rules. Sellers should see their manager for further guidance.

Is a two-year contract required?
No, this offer is valid on any new activation.

Is there a limit to the number of waived activation fees?
Customers activating more than one line of service will receive a waived activation fee for each new line.

Are IRU/CRU/EMO activations included in this offer?
Yes, customers activating a new IRU/CRU/EMO line of service can take advantage of this offer.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
So if I got my Lumia 920 in November, had to exchange it for a busted hardware mic in March, and shattered the screen like a jackass last Saturday (luckily the Digitizer still works), there's no way to get a free exchange for it right?

Any options? I'm willing to pay a little since it was my mistake this time, but if I have to pay like 100-200 I'm just going to have this ugly rear end cracked screen for the next year and a half.

Or maybe when the new iPhone comes out in Fall I can be like "wah i dont like WP anymore please give me another sale before my contract expires in a year" and totally abandon the platform. Although that's a last resort thing because this screen shatter is drat UGLY.

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 26, 2013

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Cromlech posted:

So if I got my Lumia 920 in November, had to exchange it for a busted hardware mic in March, and shattered the screen like a jackass last Saturday (luckily the Digitizer still works), there's no way to get a free exchange for it right?
No

Cromlech posted:

Any options? I'm willing to pay a little since it was my mistake this time, but if I have to pay like 100-200 I'm just going to have this ugly rear end cracked screen for the next year and a half.
Buy on craigslist/ebay/deal with it

Cromlech posted:

Or maybe when the new iPhone comes out in Fall I can be like "wah i dont like WP anymore please give me another sale before my contract expires in a year" and totally abandon the platform. Although that's a last resort thing because this screen shatter is drat UGLY.
They probably won't care, sorry. Best case scenario they offer you an iPhone early "upgrade" which is $200 off retail. So you'd pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $400+$36 activation fee+tax

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cromlech posted:

You should be eligible for a partial upgrade which is $450 for an iPhone 5 (or whatever nee iPhone). If you happen to have any old smartphones you can get $100 off for trading it as well (only one per purchase). Otherwise there likely is a random phone repair shop somewhere, they all mostly do iPhones but it's worth seeing if they can repair your phone.

Seaborne is correct though, ATT won't make any exception upgrades anymore.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I want to use my upgrade to get a phone I can sell on ebay since I just bought the Google SGS4. Any tips on which one has best (new in box) resell value between iPhone 5, S4, HTC One? Looks like the i5 and S4 are about the same on the completed ebay listings. Anyone know of a site where I can view averages?

Also, I thought upgrades were $200, but I can get them for $100 plus the upgrade fee of $36 (and I assume tax).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KingKapalone posted:

I want to use my upgrade to get a phone I can sell on ebay since I just bought the Google SGS4. Any tips on which one has best (new in box) resell value between iPhone 5, S4, HTC One? Looks like the i5 and S4 are about the same on the completed ebay listings. Anyone know of a site where I can view averages?

Also, I thought upgrades were $200, but I can get them for $100 plus the upgrade fee of $36 (and I assume tax).

If you can swing it you should wait for the 5s.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

If you can swing it you should wait for the 5s.

Hmm something to consider.

I assume that will be the $200 upgrade fee though? iPhone 5s are still selling at $600, so about a $500 profit with the 5 only being $100 to upgrade to. Think the 5S would be selling at a premium over retail price due to demand?

I also need to take into account that I'm selling my iPhone 4 and those still sell for $200 now.

edit: in terms of swinging it financially to sit on the bill for the Google S4, yeah I can do that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

Hmm something to consider.

I assume that will be the $200 upgrade fee though? iPhone 5s are still selling at $600, so about a $500 profit with the 5 only being $100 to upgrade to. Think the 5S would be selling at a premium over retail price due to demand?

I also need to take into account that I'm selling my iPhone 4 and those still sell for $200 now.

edit: in terms of swinging it financially to sit on the bill for the Google S4, yeah I can do that.

With the iPhone 5 being half off online and such, that kind of negates the extra profit you would get from waiting on the new one (who knows if it would completely negate, but overall.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

With the iPhone 5 being half off online and such, that kind of negates the extra profit you would get from waiting on the new one (who knows if it would completely negate, but overall.

I'm not sure I follow. This reads weird.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There's currently a sale on the 5. It's possible that (ebay price for a 5) - (discounted cost of a 5) >= (ebay price for a 5s) - (cost of a 5s).

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's currently a sale on the 5. It's possible that (ebay price for a 5) - (discounted cost of a 5) >= (ebay price for a 5s) - (cost of a 5s).

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Anyone know what the newest models have been selling for on ebay when they launch? I vaguely remember thinking it was crazy that people were paying ~$850. Maybe that was when there were supply issues or other GSM carriers weren't getting the phone at launch?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
So that 50% off smartphone promotion says I have to trade in my old smart phone. I have two beat up sprint evo 3d's currently. Would they qualify for the promotion even though the bezels are falling off?

My wife wants verizon but if it's hundreds of dollars cheaper to get at&t (no activation fees too) I think I can talk her into it. At least the trial period.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Hdip posted:

So that 50% off smartphone promotion says I have to trade in my old smart phone. I have two beat up sprint evo 3d's currently. Would they qualify for the promotion even though the bezels are falling off?

My wife wants verizon but if it's hundreds of dollars cheaper to get at&t (no activation fees too) I think I can talk her into it. At least the trial period.

Oh if I only get 50% off by trading in, I don't want to do that because the original iPhone 4 still sells on ebay for $200. I guess I should wait for the 5S and see if they sell higher than $600 on ebay?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Oh if I only get 50% off by trading in, I don't want to do that because the original iPhone 4 still sells on ebay for $200. I guess I should wait for the 5S and see if they sell higher than $600 on ebay?

You don't have to trade in if you buy it online. In fact I just ordered one because I'm coming from an a Google Nexus one on T-mobile. I went through the online trade-in process on their website and it was asking for an AT&T number it was linked to and such so I decided to play it safe and avoid that whole process.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hdip posted:

You don't have to trade in via online purchases but you can get a $100 in store trade in at most ATT corp stores (most are not yet picky about wear and tear, mileage may vary).

If someone buys online I will still honor the trade in towards accys in store, you can call a store and ask (that is a store discretion).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How far back will they go with those trade ins, only to the iPhone 4, or would they give $100 off for an old 3GS? (I'm guessing not, but worth a shot)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Why even bother with the trade-in if you can just do it online and still get the 50% off? Am I misunderstanding something?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

KingKapalone posted:

Why even bother with the trade-in if you can just do it online and still get the 50% off? Am I misunderstanding something?

No you are not. It's stupid. All it does is hurt us in stores.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

And I assume this is temporary or at least won't be around when the 5S is launched?

Unless the 5S is likely to sell for at least $750 on ebay, I think doing my upgrade/flip now is the best choice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Could be worse. You could be one of the positions getting cut (hooray for restructures).

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Makes sense, thanks guys. I think I can live with it, if the worst happens I have an old 3gs as a backup and I actually don't mind much at all. I love the form factor. I'm probably a little spoiled by the dual core processor in the 920 and how the 3GS battery is somewhat decaying, but I'll live.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Could be worse. You could be one of the positions getting cut (hooray for restructures).

That was a funny email...I felt really bad for our SSR.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I switched to the 250 minute go phone plan, but now I can only by the 50 MB data package? Why?

edit: I guess I can just buy two of them (100 MB is more than I need anyway), but I still don't get it.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 28, 2013

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I switched to the 250 minute go phone plan, but now I can only by the 50 MB data package? Why?

Because that's how phone plans work? That is the cheapest go phone plan for a smart phone, so of course it's going to offer crappy data plans, so you buy a better plan.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Hello, I hope some one can assist me.

I am traveling and have put a new SIM in my cell. Apparently, it is not unlocked. I was able to make a SIP call to AT&T international support, and the very kind person gave me an unlock code.

I was only able to try it after hanging up, and it does not seem to work :(

Is there some way to email AT&T support? Their web site mobile edition only provides phone numbers, and I am way too close to the hotel data allowance to make another SIP call.

Or, if someone has any idea how to get my phone to take this coffree, that would be great :)

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Hello, I hope some one can assist me.

I am traveling and have put a new SIM in my cell. Apparently, it is not unlocked. I was able to make a SIP call to AT&T international support, and the very kind person gave me an unlock code.

I was only able to try it after hanging up, and it does not seem to work :(

Is there some way to email AT&T support? Their web site mobile edition only provides phone numbers, and I am way too close to the hotel data allowance to make another SIP call.

Or, if someone has any idea how to get my phone to take this coffree, that would be great :)

If you have problems or questions while roaming outside the U.S., contact AT&T by calling +1-916-843-4685 (a free call from your wireless phone).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

booshi posted:

Because that's how phone plans work? That is the cheapest go phone plan for a smart phone, so of course it's going to offer crappy data plans, so you buy a better plan.

Well okay, but it was pretty funny how you couldn't buy 100 MB for $10, but you could buy 50 MB for $5 each twice.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Well okay, but it was pretty funny how you couldn't buy 100 MB for $10, but you could buy 50 MB for $5 each twice.

Because those are the increments, and it differentiates between that and the $5/100MB for the next plan up. Why would they list every multiple of what you can add?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Interesting, I got this today in my email box, looks like AT&T is going to start selling aggregated data to other companies. According to the privacy page they only sent this to customers whose information they intend to use for these programs:

quote:

Dear Valued Customer,

We know your privacy is important, so we've made it a priority to talk to you about it. We're revising our Privacy Policy to make it easier to understand, and we want to point out two new programs that could help us and other businesses serve you better.

The first program will make reports available to businesses. These reports will contain anonymous information about groups of customers, such as how they collectively use our products and services. The second program will use local geography as a factor in delivering online and mobile ads to the people who might find them most useful.

As always, we follow important principles to keep your trust: •We are committed to protecting your privacy.
•We provide you with privacy choices.
•We will not sell information that identifies you to anyone, for any purpose. Period.
•We are committed to listening and keeping you informed about how we protect your privacy.
The two new programs are described in this notice, including your privacy choices for each. You can also read the new and old versions of our privacy policy at att.com/privacy.

To provide feedback on the new policy, please write us in the next 30 days at privacyfeedback@att.com or AT&T Privacy Policy, 1120 20th Street NW, 10th Floor, Washington, DC 20036.

Time to make sure I'm opted out I guess. More info (including opt out steps) here:

http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/pdf/Privacy_Policy_Customer_Letter.pdf

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

obeyasia posted:

If you have problems or questions while roaming outside the U.S., contact AT&T by calling +1-916-843-4685 (a free call from your wireless phone).

I spoke with them again (thank you for letting me know that is a free call). The person said I have the correct code, and that is the only valid code. They are unsure why it wouldn't work, but they warned me that if it denies the code five times, that my phone will be forever disabled, or something ominous like that.

Does this all sound correct/normal? I am very :/ right now, and afraid to try again...