Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Corla Plankun posted:

I have had this site bookmarked for a really long time and it has a pretty exhaustive collection of poses: http://www.posemaniacs.com/

Posemaniacs is a bad site and will teach you really bad habits. The models do not have any interaction with gravity or genuine human biomechanics.

This one is much better:
http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That's handy for practice studies, but I'm also looking for a resource that has a whole bunch of searchable poses (if such a thing exists).

Or should I just get one of those little wooden pose models or something?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Illegibly Eligible posted:

The best books you can buy in order to improve your writing ability are bad books IMHO. That may possibly seem counter-intuitive, and it can be kind of a chore to struggle through bad books, but it's the single best way to learn what mistakes to avoid making. Pushing your way through 200 pages of annoying drivel will make you mindful of subjecting others to the same experience. As for what constitutes a bad book... that depends on the kind of "bad" you mean. There are writers with great technical ability who are simply horrible at making something interesting, as well as those with great ideas who lack the ability to adequately express them.

How is that supposed to help? I mean you might derive some enjoyment from reading bad books and mocking them, but I don't see how you could actually learn anything from just reading a whole bunch of them. It's not like learning to write is some kind of game where you can level up your ability by grinding away at weaker works. If that's all you do, you're more likely to inadvertently pick up bad habits from exposing yourself to all that bad writing. I could see using bad books as a tool if you critically dissected them, piece by piece to examine WHY they're bad, but it should be about the quality (or lack of quality in this case) rather than the quantity.

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!

scarycave posted:

Probably a dumb question but does anybody ever get depressed when drawing sometimes? I was a complete downer while I was drawing yesterday. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Yes. Usually it's due to frustration from artist's block or simply feelings of inadequacy, but sometimes drawing is exhausting and I feel emotionally drained and depressed afterward. Sometimes the depression can lead to inspiration, though, so at least it's not all bad.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I apologize if this isn't the appropriate thread to post this in, but I've had this issue. I used to love drawing. It was my escape. I could doodle all the time. But as my desire to become and artist grew I focused solely on realism.
And now I'm decent at it, but I don't love drawing as much as I used. I don't know how to doodle anymore, and I just no longer have an urge to practice. I think one issue I have is that I feel like art should have meaning, but I can't explore visual arts as a medium to express something if I don't have any creative pull to it. I don't want to give up on drawing, but I don't know how to make it fun again.

So... what can I do to get back into visual arts? How do I practice original doodling? Sometimes when I doodle I just revert to designs I've doodled for years. I'm obviously using it as a crutch but I don't know how to stop. Is this artist's block?

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I apologize if this isn't the appropriate thread to post this in, but I've had this issue. I used to love drawing. It was my escape. I could doodle all the time. But as my desire to become and artist grew I focused solely on realism.
And now I'm decent at it, but I don't love drawing as much as I used. I don't know how to doodle anymore, and I just no longer have an urge to practice. I think one issue I have is that I feel like art should have meaning, but I can't explore visual arts as a medium to express something if I don't have any creative pull to it. I don't want to give up on drawing, but I don't know how to make it fun again.

So... what can I do to get back into visual arts? How do I practice original doodling? Sometimes when I doodle I just revert to designs I've doodled for years. I'm obviously using it as a crutch but I don't know how to stop. Is this artist's block?

Our problems aren't EXACTLY similar, but similar enough. I'll tell a bit of my story, in hopes that it can somewhat relate to yours. I was a drawing machine when I was younger, from a young toddler until I was about 16/17. I loved it despite not being as good other people, I always had fun. Life and illness got in the way, and about 10 years later I'm trying to get back into drawing again. Off and on for the last few years I've failed at it, I'd draw and get angry that I was bad and I stop. I have a different attitude towards my art as an adult. When I was a kid it didn't matter that I was bad, I did it for fun. Now, it's hard to have fun because my eyes have gotten so critical. I know what good art looks like now. I know I want to be good at it, and I've been away from it so long that I've forgotten that everyone's bad before they're any good. When I draw something and I hate it, I let it go, and I try again. It's still really hard though, not gonna lie.

I wish I had a fast answer for you, because everyone is different. I can tell you the things that have helped me, and while I'm still not drawing EVERYday I am pretty close, and that's more than I could've said months and years ago. I'm sure other people will have better advice.

I have a folder on my desktop where I throw all my inspirational images I get off the internet. It's usually Tumblr for me, but it can be from anywhere. Photos, things that have random color palettes that I like, other peoples' drawings, etc. If I feel like drawing but nothing is coming to me, I go through it and pick out something I find interesting. I like her hair, I'll draw a character with that hair. These colors remind me of x or y, so I'll draw that. Even if it's a classical painting and I just want to straight up doodle a lovely version of it, I think just getting your brain and hand warmed up is important. Even if it's garbage and not original or interesting, it's part of getting into the habit.

I'm a perfectionist, it's hard for me to doodle because I want it to be exactly how I want it. Every once and awhile I devote a page in my sketchbook to just straight pen, no pencil. I'm still really rusty so usually none of the drawings are any good, but it let's me be less precious with everything. I focus more on the ideas I want to get down on paper rather than if they look good or not, if that makes any sense. Just have fun making lines, play with line widths, cross-hatching, whatever. If you're having trouble with ideas period and what to doodle, just focus on a theme maybe? Like, this whole page is going to be eyeballs. How many different ways can I draw a tree, that kind of thing.

As for art having meaning, I probably can't help you much there. For me, art was the only thing I ever felt I was good at. Now I'm trying to find a way to let go of the idea that I should be making art because I need to be good at something. I do truly enjoy it, for reasons that are hard to explain I guess. I like seeing my ideas on paper, I like that it lets me focus on something other than my worries. It's more productive than refreshing the same webpages over and over for 30 minutes or more because I don't feel like doing anything else. I spend a lot of my time just kind of floating through my day, if I can draw a bit then I feel like there's a tangible thing that I can look back on and feel productive.

Art is a personal thing, so there's a chance nothing I say will grab you, and that's fine. As someone else who has started drawing again after a long break, this is how I've coped with it. I still go days at a time without drawing, sometimes, it's easy for me to fall out of habits. Just gotta keep going, and not be too hard on yourself.

(edit: I typed this up last night before bed, I don't think it registered how long this was. Geez! Sorry about that. Hopefully something in there is helpful though.)

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 23, 2013

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Realism can make you art depressed. Being a human photocopier easily isn't any fun once you figure it out. Personally when I started learning to go beyond simply copying and incorporate exaggeration, simplification, design, mood etc. drawing and painting became much more fun and interesting. The thing about drawing is that you get to process the information in your brain before you regurgitate out. So why not put that processing power to work. Do something interesting. There is something to be said about drawing something that can make you laugh.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
I'm having a little solo exhibition soon, and the curator wants me to do a 500-word artist's statement to accompany it. Problem is, I'm pretty bad at advertising myself, and even worse at formatting. Does anyone have any advice on how to write it, what details to include, what not to include etc.? Thanks in advance

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I've really been wanting to play with color recently, but I'm still trying to stick to traditional. Digital is so easy when it comes to color, which is the unfortunate part, but I love my sketchbooks. :( I have a handful of Copic markers, but not enough to really decide on a palette and go to town. I've seen people use gouache in sketchbooks, and it seems like a medium I might like. I haven't painted in a really long time, but I like that they're water based but not as loose as watercolor. Just curious if anyone else uses this paint in sketchbooks, and what paper weight you've found works best. I'm doing all my pen work and markers in a Canson Mix Media sketchbook, which claims that it's 98lb paper works for watercolor and acrylics, but who knows.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

Mondlicht posted:

I've really been wanting to play with color recently, but I'm still trying to stick to traditional. Digital is so easy when it comes to color, which is the unfortunate part, but I love my sketchbooks. :( I have a handful of Copic markers, but not enough to really decide on a palette and go to town. I've seen people use gouache in sketchbooks, and it seems like a medium I might like. I haven't painted in a really long time, but I like that they're water based but not as loose as watercolor. Just curious if anyone else uses this paint in sketchbooks, and what paper weight you've found works best. I'm doing all my pen work and markers in a Canson Mix Media sketchbook, which claims that it's 98lb paper works for watercolor and acrylics, but who knows.

Gouache works perfectly well in sketchbooks, or at least in all the ones I've ever used. It's very similar to acrylic when it's fresh from the tube, but the trick is to blend it with water to get more colour on the page, similar to how you can use turps with oil. It's also really easy and fun to use if you just want to mess around. Anything that can support watercolours can support gouache.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

kedo posted:

That's handy for practice studies, but I'm also looking for a resource that has a whole bunch of searchable poses (if such a thing exists).

Or should I just get one of those little wooden pose models or something?

If you go the "buy a model" route, you'd be better off getting a decent high-quality action figure than one of those god awful wooden models.

Figmas are cool, or any high quality 1/6th scale figure like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Toys-Figure-figurine-Caucasian/dp/B004WN7CQ6/ref=pd_sim_t_7 except don't pay that much, Google for better prices.

Nayt
May 13, 2013
I am looking for help and/or feedback in creating a "brand" or "theme" for myself in Auto Sales. Are there any recommendations for think tank or discussion? I was banned while on vacation for offering a reward or prize for website ideas. :(

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nayt posted:

I am looking for help and/or feedback in creating a "brand" or "theme" for myself in Auto Sales. Are there any recommendations for think tank or discussion? I was banned while on vacation for offering a reward or prize for website ideas. :(

You should hire someone to help you. You were probably banned because this is a career people have, and you offering a reward or prize for multiple people's work is the equivalent of me asking several auto dealers to give me cars, but then only giving one of them a "prize" for whichever car I like the most. But I still keep all those other cars.

It's actually kind of hilarious you're in auto sales, because that's the example designers always use to explain why the exact type of work you're asking for is retarded. It's called spec and it is bad.

If you don't have much money for it, SA Mart is cheap. But I hope you can see how asking for people to help you improve your business while not reimbursing any or most of them is exceedingly selfish.

e: However if you've already done some work on a visual brand and you actually do just want critique, you can hit up the Design critique megathread.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

kedo posted:

It's called spec and it is bad.
Please heed this well. Post spec jobs all you want in SA-Mart, but here they are an automatic ban.

Nayt
May 13, 2013

kedo posted:

You should hire someone to help you. You were probably banned because this is a career people have, and you offering a reward or prize for multiple people's work is the equivalent of me asking several auto dealers to give me cars, but then only giving one of them a "prize" for whichever car I like the most. But I still keep all those other cars.

It's actually kind of hilarious you're in auto sales, because that's the example designers always use to explain why the exact type of work you're asking for is retarded. It's called spec and it is bad.

If you don't have much money for it, SA Mart is cheap. But I hope you can see how asking for people to help you improve your business while not reimbursing any or most of them is exceedingly selfish.

e: However if you've already done some work on a visual brand and you actually do just want critique, you can hit up the Design critique megathread.

Yea, I have talked to some people in SA Mart. I'm not against paying people, I actually plan on it. I wasn't asking for multiple people's hours of work for free....just a domain name idea.

quote:

Example? I don't know the lingo I guess.

[e] Found this: http://www.nospec.com/ I guess this is what you're referring too.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nayt posted:

I wasn't asking for multiple people's hours of work for free....just a domain name idea.

Creative professionals don't just pluck ideas out of the ether. Your domain name idea would be the product of work. It isn't magic. It's work.

If it isn't work, then you could do it yourself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have really been wanting to do some mixed media stuff incorporating photo transfer (most likely on wood/board, I don't care to work on canvas much) and have had mostly bad results. I've tried gel medium, which makes a nice image, but is pretty hard to work on top of/get's destroyed or poorly transferred really easily, plus getting all of the paper off is insanely tedious. I have also tried blender markers, which are much easier and more workable, but create much crappier images and end up being insanely expensive really quick. Is there a better way to do this or should I just give up on the idea of mixing ink and photo transfers ?

Edit: Also, packing tape but that obviously doesn't work well for what I'm trying to do.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 26, 2013

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nayt posted:

Yea, I have talked to some people in SA Mart. I'm not against paying people, I actually plan on it. I wasn't asking for multiple people's hours of work for free....just a domain name idea.

Example? I don't know the lingo I guess.

[e] Found this: http://www.nospec.com/ I guess this is what you're referring too.

That's fine, just recognize that what you're asking for is essentially a branding consultant and there are entire respected firms devoted to that industry. I'm not saying you need to hire the same firm that named the iPod and the Nintendo Wii or anything, just a heads up that if you want ideas, especially in this forum, you should post in the Freelance thread with your budget and such.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
see, I consider myself an "ideas" kinda guy

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Someone come up with 5 ideas I can use to get rich tia

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You guys are in luck, I am a Doing Stuff guy who loves Doing Stuff with your Ideas. I love it so much I Do Stuff for free.

By "stuff" I mean my anime love pillow and by "doing" I mean "doing."

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I have a friend that is opening a bar but desperately needs fresh ideas for the design and decoration of the interior. Is there a thread about interior design here on the forums? Would an SA Mart thread be appropriate?

Are there any goon recommended sites for design inspiration that she could benefit from?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Woodsy Owl posted:

I have a friend that is opening a bar but desperately needs fresh ideas for the design and decoration of the interior. Is there a thread about interior design here on the forums? Would an SA Mart thread be appropriate?

Are there any goon recommended sites for design inspiration that she could benefit from?

I think it should be themed after the tv sitcom "Dinosaurs".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It should have one of those Showbiz Pizza/chuck e cheese bands playing all the time. I'd go to a bar like that.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

neonnoodle posted:

Someone come up with 5 ideas I can use to get rich tia

1. Win the lottery.
2. Find Oil.
3. Make rip-offs of famous movies - but make them just different enough to not get sued, but close enough to the original to trick the elderly into buying them.
4. Become a professional athlete or a celebrity.
5. Befriend an elderly millionaire, have the occasional musical number, teach him to love again, get written on his/her will.

Now for a few questions, right now, I don't really have a designated drawing area, so far I've been doing everything at home, in random places around the house.
My cluttered desk, another cluttered desk, on top of my bed. Do you guys ever end up drawing in weird places? And do you feel that you work better if you have an area set up for you to draw in? Or is there a type of environment that you prefer when drawing? (Keep in mind that this is for doodling, or just drawing things off the top of your head, though if you have gone outside to draw something and ended up in a weird place I'd like to hear about it.)

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

NESguerilla posted:

I have really been wanting to do some mixed media stuff incorporating photo transfer (most likely on wood/board, I don't care to work on canvas much) and have had mostly bad results. I've tried gel medium, which makes a nice image, but is pretty hard to work on top of/get's destroyed or poorly transferred really easily, plus getting all of the paper off is insanely tedious. I have also tried blender markers, which are much easier and more workable, but create much crappier images and end up being insanely expensive really quick. Is there a better way to do this or should I just give up on the idea of mixing ink and photo transfers ?

Edit: Also, packing tape but that obviously doesn't work well for what I'm trying to do.

I was into this for a hot minute, this is what I learned.

You can use acetone or any cheap hardware store solvent, some are more toxic than others... I used to just brush it on with a cheap, natural fiber brush and then apply pressure to the back of the paper. Though if youre trying to do it straght off photos you might get mixed results, you might have better results scanning your original and printing high quality color laser onto regular paper, as it transfers much more easily. We have a really old school workhorse laser printer at my work, as well as a really new fancy ($100k plus) copier/printer that does great color reproduction, I have had interesting results with both. The old one transfers b&w images a lot crisper, the color one seems to bond with the paper better so the transfers arent as clean, which might be fine depending on what you want to do.

Gel medium is nice but it gets expensive, I have a hard time justifying the price of good acrylics when I'm just loving around. I have noticed a big difference between the cheap dick-blick type acrylics and golden/speedball/etc.

With solvents you want to wear a respirator, gloves, and especially eye protection. People often forget eye protection but a lot gets in through your eyes and it will gently caress with you over time.

There are also nontoxic solvents, though they tend to be more expensive than what you can get at the hardware store, you may get interesting results you like better.

If you dont care about dying before you're 40 you might also enjoy finishing them off with resin. Resin is loving awesome, but I stopped using it because its so nasty to work with.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I have a REALLY dumb question but it needs to be asked so I can google stuff. I was at a sketching thing downtown with a bunch of art school students and noticed most of them use that technique where you draw the character sketch first with a colored pencil (usually blue or orange) and build the form up that way. Their stuff looked really solid and three-dimensional and made my sketches look like flat crap. Is there a term for this technique or is it just referred to as "sketching correctly and not like an uneducated amateur"? What sort of course would I take to learn how to do it? I've been stalling out on my figure drawing and I think getting a more solid form is what I'm missing.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
I have a fairly impossible question, but I trust in the knowledge of goons.

I'm trying to find out the name/artist of a painting that I really liked that I saw once. It was housed at the Louvre, and was a nighttime scene of a campfire on a beach (I believe) with a couple other objects scattered about, like crates and maybe a tent. I remember being really impressed by how the lighting was done, as it almost looked like it glowed by itself. If I attempted to date it, I would say early mid 1800s, like 30s or 40s, and was somewhat similar to the work of Thomas Cole to my untrained eye. Possibly slightly more realistic. Any help narrowing it down would be appreciated, but I know this is pretty unlikely.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

A Man With A Plan posted:

I have a fairly impossible question, but I trust in the knowledge of goons.

I'm trying to find out the name/artist of a painting that I really liked that I saw once. It was housed at the Louvre, and was a nighttime scene of a campfire on a beach (I believe) with a couple other objects scattered about, like crates and maybe a tent. I remember being really impressed by how the lighting was done, as it almost looked like it glowed by itself. If I attempted to date it, I would say early mid 1800s, like 30s or 40s, and was somewhat similar to the work of Thomas Cole to my untrained eye. Possibly slightly more realistic. Any help narrowing it down would be appreciated, but I know this is pretty unlikely.

I tried searching around for it on Google. Do you think you could be a bit more precise about it? Like if it had people, maybe some ships, or other stuff like that.

fuzzy_logic posted:

I have a REALLY dumb question but it needs to be asked so I can google stuff. I was at a sketching thing downtown with a bunch of art school students and noticed most of them use that technique where you draw the character sketch first with a colored pencil (usually blue or orange) and build the form up that way. Their stuff looked really solid and three-dimensional and made my sketches look like flat crap. Is there a term for this technique or is it just referred to as "sketching correctly and not like an uneducated amateur"? What sort of course would I take to learn how to do it? I've been stalling out on my figure drawing and I think getting a more solid form is what I'm missing.

I remember doing something like that for my figure drawing class - we had to draw a posed skeleton in colored pencil (lightly) and then next week she had a model take the same exact (more or less) pose. I've also had to do a few figure drawing lessons where we would draw four gestures on a page in colored pencil. I also recall seeing a few things in the DD thread with some colored pencil lines.

I don't know the exact term either but I think it might be something similar to just regular guide lines. Of course, I'm a terrible artist so you shouldn't take what I say at face value. Hopefully someone better will come along and fill you in.

If you could take a course though, I'd recommend a figure drawing class, its pretty fun drawing actual people (that won't kill you or take your sketch book).

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

scarycave posted:

I remember doing something like that for my figure drawing class - we had to draw a posed skeleton in colored pencil (lightly) and then next week she had a model take the same exact (more or less) pose. I've also had to do a few figure drawing lessons where we would draw four gestures on a page in colored pencil. I also recall seeing a few things in the DD thread with some colored pencil lines.

I don't know the exact term either but I think it might be something similar to just regular guide lines. Of course, I'm a terrible artist so you shouldn't take what I say at face value. Hopefully someone better will come along and fill you in.

If you could take a course though, I'd recommend a figure drawing class, its pretty fun drawing actual people (that won't kill you or take your sketch book).
This approach is generally referred to as construction.
The main idea is to visualize forms as made up of simpler 3D primitives like spheres, cubes, etc. From there, you remain mindful of the way that surface lines wrap around the curves or planes of these three-dimensional surfaces. This approach keeps you from just copying the flat outlines of the shapes, and instead trains you to think about form, weight and depth.

Andrew Loomis was a mid-20th-century illustrator who wrote a number of really good guidebooks about how to draw using this approach. A bunch of his books are now getting reprinted. You can start with "Fun With A Pencil" and go from there. There is also a series of YouTube videos which walks you through Loomis' technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U

Preston Blair's books on how to draw cartoons are also helpful, because they teach construction principles on simplified, appealing characters.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

neonnoodle posted:

Preston Blair's books on how to draw cartoons are also helpful, because they teach construction principles on simplified, appealing characters.

Yeah, I'd second this. Keep in mind though that the book comes in a few forms, for one I ordered what I thought was the book online but turned out to be version 1, I then encountered the full book in my figure drawing class and It's actually a fat little piggy. Didn't really get a chance to look through the whole thing but if you do get curious you can find the original of volume 1 on the internet in several places and that little bit has definitely helped me out since I just used to draw flat circles with a cross instead of seeing them like a true sphere.

I think I got volume 1 off of amazon for less than ten bucks, and while its nice to physically have the material its a bit big, not in page numbers, but in actual length and width so it takes a bit of space so if you use a tiny little desk like me.

Like most drawing books though, volume 1 doesn't really show you how to draw exactly.
Draw sphere, draw another sphere, *poof*, you drew not-Jerry. While the images are there more likely for practice it does feel a little discouraging that you can't draw them perfectly. Your really supposed to be trying to see how the pieces fit together. The line of action bit is also an interesting read, just keep in mind it won't tell you how to draw, but it will put you in the right direction. Also if you have a sweet tooth for animation its kind of cool seeing some of the tricks the old guys used back in the day.

Well, that's really how I saw it at least.

Probably going to take a look at that Loomis video, I've seen a few of his books in class, and they were mentioned quite a few times in their as well.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

neonnoodle posted:

This approach is generally referred to as construction.

Ooooo thank you. I knew the idea behind it but trying to apply that blindly was not working.

scarycave posted:

I actually took a figure drawing course with a model and everything, but with just the skills at my disposal I couldn't make much headway :saddowns:. Like I could draw the proportions better but all the drawings were still flat. I think I need to add constructing to my arsenal before I bother spending money on a model again.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

fuzzy_logic posted:

I actually took a figure drawing course with a model and everything, but with just the skills at my disposal I couldn't make much headway :saddowns:. Like I could draw the proportions better but all the drawings were still flat. I think I need to add constructing to my arsenal before I bother spending money on a model again.
When I first went to do a figure drawing class the instructor convinced me to start with cast drawing instead. It allows you to really focus on breaking down form and getting proportion accurate with a static subject before applying the same ideas to a living model.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

fuzzy_logic posted:

Ooooo thank you. I knew the idea behind it but trying to apply that blindly was not working.

I took figure drawing class because it was a college requirement for my major, though at the time I didn't know that but took it because of one of the older DD threads. I've never actually paid for a model in my life. :v:

If moneys an issue (like me for instance) you could try drawing statues - their free, they don't move much, but their not the most flexible guys out there. I've never actually done it myself, but I visited the Metropolitan awhile ago and was kicking myself for not bringing a sketch-book. If your not chicken poo poo to draw in public (like me for instance) you could give that a try. Or you could just use one of your own if you have them around.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

scarycave posted:

I tried searching around for it on Google. Do you think you could be a bit more precise about it? Like if it had people, maybe some ships, or other stuff like that.

Unfortunately, it was several years ago, but as I described it is the best of my recollection. Looks like I'll have to go back to Paris to find it :( Thanks for giving some thought though!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Is there a thread where I can practice my writing weekly and provide critiques for others? My only option seems to be the Thunderdome and seeing as I haven't written substantially in three years I think it would devour me.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. I am stupid.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 2, 2013

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.
I recently started figure drawing using the models at pixelovely.com. I've made a lot of progress, but I'm still having trouble making the fabrics and cloths that the models hold look realistic. I could really use some tips or a good tutorial on the subject.

EDIT:

I should also note that I'm drawing female nudes :pervert: , so the cloth usually drapes over the figure, stretches over the body, or they are using it for some crazy acrobatic poses.

Billy Shears fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 5, 2013

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Does anyone have any tips or just better knowledge on a good scanner? I've been trying to move away from digital so I can better focus on the fundamentals, and when I did need to scan I had access to my university's scanner. Now I'm out and need to pick something up. I'm hoping for something a bit larger than what I'm used to (as far as household scanners go), like something that could scan 11x17s maybe? At a good resolution. I don't have a ton of money for it but I'm open to whatever suggestions, as I'm not even sure what brands or what I should be looking for!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

redcheval posted:

Does anyone have any tips or just better knowledge on a good scanner? I've been trying to move away from digital so I can better focus on the fundamentals, and when I did need to scan I had access to my university's scanner. Now I'm out and need to pick something up. I'm hoping for something a bit larger than what I'm used to (as far as household scanners go), like something that could scan 11x17s maybe? At a good resolution. I don't have a ton of money for it but I'm open to whatever suggestions, as I'm not even sure what brands or what I should be looking for!

I personally love Epson and have had great luck with them in the past. Both their hardware and software are solid in my experience, software especially (on Mac, at least). Out of the five my studio has bought in the past 7 years or so, only one had a defect and required replacement which, granted, was a massive pain in the rear end. Otherwise they've all been great and are still running perfectly.

That being said, their professional grade scanners that can handle 11x17s are alarmingly expensive, but if you take care of it and use it often you'll get your money's worth. However really if you're looking for a high quality scanner that can do something that large, you should expect to pay over $500.

I can't speak to the quality of their consumer grade scanners (and don't even know if they have 11x17's), so exercise caution there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Ah yikes :( Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Unfortunately I think I AM in the budget for a consumer grade scanner... which is not really ideal, but really all I'd like to be able to do is take decent scans of black and white lineart and have that translate nicely into the computer for digital coloring and stuff like that. Unfortunate about the cost of professional-quality scanners, but ahh, I guess I have something new to save up for! Thank you :)