Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any of you shopgoodwill veterans have buying advice? I got turned on to the site a few weeks ago and I've been watching it to try and get a feel for what good prices are and haven't really come into any conclusions. I'm not looking to snag any sweet collections or fetch anything in particular, my main interest is in beefing up my collection of bricks. My main issue is there doesn't appear to be any way to see how much recently concluded auctions have sold for.

So basically: what's a fair/common price per pound of lego on the site, absent "collector" bits? From what I can tell the lego lots still sell for significantly less than new prices so there's probably no way I can lose but I'd still like to get a ballpark figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

xzzy posted:

Any of you shopgoodwill veterans have buying advice? I got turned on to the site a few weeks ago and I've been watching it to try and get a feel for what good prices are and haven't really come into any conclusions. I'm not looking to snag any sweet collections or fetch anything in particular, my main interest is in beefing up my collection of bricks. My main issue is there doesn't appear to be any way to see how much recently concluded auctions have sold for.

So basically: what's a fair/common price per pound of lego on the site, absent "collector" bits? From what I can tell the lego lots still sell for significantly less than new prices so there's probably no way I can lose but I'd still like to get a ballpark figure.

Watch out for giant shipping charges and factor them in to what you are willing to spend. I usually set a $/pound price I think a lot is worth, multiply by the weight, then subtract shipping to find my max bid, then stick to it. A number of the stores pick out the figs and sell them separately, Hillsboro OR being the biggest offender.

If you just want bulk bricks, look for lots without Potter, Star Wars, etc. They generally go for much less.

Edit: I usually set my cap at $5/lb. I know I can sell at $7/lb all day long on Craigslist, so that way I know I won't lose money even if the lot ends up being in really bad shape or full of Megablocks.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
So anybody in the Seattle area, best to go to Alderwood. Bellevue will probably closed for a few weeks or so. Can't really say why, but yeah.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

youareoffthehook posted:

So anybody in the Seattle area, best to go to Alderwood. Bellevue will probably closed for a few weeks or so. Can't really say why, but yeah.

I'm guessing the same reason the Westfield London store will be closed at some upcoming point too. Expaaansioooon and changes.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I'm guessing the same reason the Westfield London store will be closed at some upcoming point too. Expaaansioooon and changes.

They just finished expanding the Bellevue location a couple months ago. Though, they do have a freshly closed store on one side.

C'mon, youareoffthehook, dish. Did someone get murdered with a Super Star Destroyer?

Oh, looks like it was a flood. Bet a lot of stock got ruined. Wonder if they'll have a flood-damaged item sale.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 27, 2013

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Yes, because if there's one thing that Legos can't withstand, it's being submerged in water.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The boxes, man, the boxes.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Guzwar posted:

The boxes, man, the boxes.

And the manuals, and the sticker sheets. Throw in some mold, and you've got a recipe for ruined stock. All they'll be able to do is de-box them and dump the bags into the bulk brick bags.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I opened up my creationary today for the first time since buying it. I sorted out the bricks and thought I'd try my hand at a few attempts. How do these look?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

I opened up my creationary today for the first time since buying it. I sorted out the bricks and thought I'd try my hand at a few attempts. How do these look?

This is the only one I was struggling with (I thought of a gondola, for some reason) so I'd say they look good!

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
robot
platypus
missourian
republican
da vinci code

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I felt like such an idiot when I finally got this one. It's "transience", obviously.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The banana needed more work apparently, though. Thanks guys.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Amoeba102 posted:

The banana needed more work apparently, though. Thanks guys.

It's cause you balanced it in the middle, tip it over on the table and it'll make more sense to people

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

DrChud posted:

I just saw the new Coast Guard sets, on Lego's page they show a sea plane with a fishing boat. I could not find on their shop page and my target didn't even have a space for it on the shelf. Is it an exclusive to a certain store or maybe Lego stores only?

xzzy posted:

Think he's talking about this:

http://city.lego.com/en-us/products/coast-guard/60015/

Clicking on the shopping cart yields a 404 so I guess it's not for sale yet?

Just saw this set at Target(Believe it was $39.99)while picking up a Duplo set for my nephew. Duplo are even worse priced than regular Legos. $15 for a 22 piece set. I know some of that is licensing since it was a Disney set, but still.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sloppy posted:

Edit: I usually set my cap at $5/lb. I know I can sell at $7/lb all day long on Craigslist, so that way I know I won't lose money even if the lot ends up being in really bad shape or full of Megablocks.

Because I'm a big dumb nerd with too much time on my hands at work, I did some googling around.

http://therealityprose.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/what_happened_with_lego/
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=52892

tl;dr: new bricks sell for about $0.11 a brick, or $0.07 a gram. The second link estimates there's 350 bricks in a pound of lego. Obviously these numbers aren't accurate (licensed sets, scarcity, and brick size influence all the numbers) but they seem to be in the ballpark.

So at $5 a pound secondhand, you're paying about $0.01 per brick.. a 90% savings over new. :stare:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

xzzy posted:

Because I'm a big dumb nerd with too much time on my hands at work, I did some googling around.

http://therealityprose.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/what_happened_with_lego/
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=52892

tl;dr: new bricks sell for about $0.11 a brick, or $0.07 a gram. The second link estimates there's 350 bricks in a pound of lego. Obviously these numbers aren't accurate (licensed sets, scarcity, and brick size influence all the numbers) but they seem to be in the ballpark.

So at $5 a pound secondhand, you're paying about $0.01 per brick.. a 90% savings over new. :stare:

Yeah, that's why I only buy new Lego as gifts. I've built a rather sweet collection almost for free just by buying and selling. It's not really profitable in the 'making bank' sense so I don't really consider myself a Lego seller, I just do it to feed the monkey.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
If the complete sets for the minifigures are only going for $35 on ebay, isn't that even less than buying them in the packets? It seems like some of them even go as low as $1 each on Ebay. Just doesn't seem to make sense to try your luck at opening packets when you are guaranteed to get exactly what you want on Ebay...is it only because of the 'search for mr. gold', the reason there are so many floating around on ebay?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It's a friend's kid's 10th birthday and my mum bought him a Lego motor, battery pack and LED kit. I'm not certain he'll have any technic components to go with it (there are a small handful in the box but not enough I think.

Do kits of general technic components for integrating with regular lego exist?

If not, would anybody be able to suggest some key bits that would be good to get for him from Bricklink?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Canadians now have a toy section on amazon.ca and they are stocking lego. When you only need to hit $25 to get free shipping and if they run sales like amazon.com it is going to be a nice alternative to buy sets up here. Best you can usually do is 20% off sales most of the time.

http://toysnbricks.com/amazon-canada-now-has-a-toy-department-including-lego/

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

djfooboo posted:

Finally got the castle at 25% off at Meijer last week. Surprised it has taken this long actually.

My Target still has Monster Fighters in the Lego aisle (and just added the new Castle, which I would've sworn would knock it out) and my Wal-Mart has the castle discounted... for 97 cents off of the list price.

:negative:

Can't remember if I've bragged about it here, but that Wal-Mart did have an unopened Arkham Asylum for $35 off. :smuggo: That has to be the densest Lego set I've build, and I have Weathertop and Tower Bridge.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Rathina posted:

If the complete sets for the minifigures are only going for $35 on ebay, isn't that even less than buying them in the packets? It seems like some of them even go as low as $1 each on Ebay. Just doesn't seem to make sense to try your luck at opening packets when you are guaranteed to get exactly what you want on Ebay...is it only because of the 'search for mr. gold', the reason there are so many floating around on ebay?

Which ones are low? Everything I wanted was $5+ shipped.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Karnegal posted:

Which ones are low? Everything I wanted was $5+ shipped.

I'm slowly backfilling the series minifigs. A lot have starting bids of 99 cents and sell for 2-3 dollars each. To save on shipping, most sellers combine orders so win 5 or 6 items from one seller and the $2.50 shipping ends up only 50 cents per figure.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'm sure most aussies would already know, but BigW and Target are having 20% off toys atm, including Lego.

Picked up a Creator 31011 Aviation Adventures plane for $55.

Really impressed with the piece count and the build features. I didn't really understand the whole propeller spinning mechanism till after it was built, but it works really well. The canopy also has a really neat action.

Quite swooshable and a really solid build. 2 minifigs even fit in it (will have to find all my pilot minifigs).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's time for conflicted English guilt, as the Daily Mail are doing a Lego giveaway this weekend, including Gandalf the Grey tomorrow. Why can't it be white, it's political correctness gorn mad I tells ya,

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm sure most aussies would already know, but BigW and Target are having 20% off toys atm, including Lego.

Picked up a Creator 31011 Aviation Adventures plane for $55.

Really impressed with the piece count and the build features. I didn't really understand the whole propeller spinning mechanism till after it was built, but it works really well. The canopy also has a really neat action.

Quite swooshable and a really solid build. 2 minifigs even fit in it (will have to find all my pilot minifigs).

I picked up 5 minifigure packs today for a whopping $1 off per package. Felt out a sad clown / mime / pagliacci which I've been after, but I've yet to find the two I'm really after from this series, the cute librarian and the bumblebee girl. I would have thought the bumblebee girl would be easy to feel for but I have not felt a single set of wings or her helmet yet.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

I picked up 5 minifigure packs today for a whopping $1 off per package. Felt out a sad clown / mime / pagliacci which I've been after, but I've yet to find the two I'm really after from this series, the cute librarian and the bumblebee girl. I would have thought the bumblebee girl would be easy to feel for but I have not felt a single set of wings or her helmet yet.

I almost feel bad telling you that the only 2 minifigs I have bought recently were librarian and bee girl. I would offer them you but the dollar sign suggests you are in the US.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've been doing series 10 entirely blind bag and I think I've gotten 8 baseball players out of 20 bags.

Fuckin.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't think anyplace near me even has Series 10, at least they didn't last time I looked a couple weeks ago.

I tried Wal-Mart...no minifigs.

Toys R Us...series 9 (though I decided to randomly get one on a lark, and it was the Knight, so that's pretty kick-rear end.)

The cruddy little toy store in the mall? No minifigs.

And...yeah, that's it.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
If you cant find any packets in the lego aisle, look at the registers or customer service desk. My toys r us had a basket of series 10 stacked at the counter.

Anyways, whats the deal with lego chimera? is it? Those sets look like complete loving garbage.

picked up 6 series 9 today: 1 plumber, 1 cyclops, 1 chicken and 3 policemen. I can only assume policemen are so common because the handcuffs are probably the easiest thing to feel for in that series and nobody wants dupes. At least its not 5 sky divers.

yourafagpleasedie fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 28, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Anyways, whats the deal with lego chimera? is it? Those sets look like complete loving garbage.

It has no 'r' in the name, it's spelled 'chima'. :colbert:

It looks to me like they're making it a more action oriented theme, lots of shooting guns and those little rip cords to make them zoom around. I don't think the aesthetics are any worse than any other original theme lego has created in the last 15 years and some of the sets have some neat construction techniques going on.

Set 70008 in particular is loaded with awesome detail pieces just begging to be used in MOCs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dear SA Forums User "yourafagpleasedie", try not to use such goony hyperbole, this will let you be more welcomed in family-friendly threads such as The Lego Thread. Hooray!

No, Lego Chima doesn't look like complete loving garbage. In a toys for children and not manchildren sense, they are fantastic. When I went to the Lego Store last, there were a few kids playing with the Chima motorcycle-things they had on display and having a blast. They're pretty clever and the sets themselves don't look bad either, just look at that drat crocodile jungle boat thing. Or this Gorilla Mech, it kinda owns.

I got a bunch of the little bike things when I ordered a bunch of B-Wings and they're pretty neat. It's a good gimmick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Or this Gorilla Mech, it kinda owns.

Just look at the parts list!

http://www.brickset.com/detail/inventory/?set=70008-1

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Captain Invictus posted:

Dear SA Forums User "yourafagpleasedie", try not to use such goony hyperbole, this will let you be more welcomed in family-friendly threads such as The Lego Thread. Hooray!

No, Lego Chima doesn't look like complete loving garbage. In a toys for children and not manchildren sense, they are fantastic. When I went to the Lego Store last, there were a few kids playing with the Chima motorcycle-things they had on display and having a blast. They're pretty clever and the sets themselves don't look bad either, just look at that drat crocodile jungle boat thing. Or this Gorilla Mech, it kinda owns.

I got a bunch of the little bike things when I ordered a bunch of B-Wings and they're pretty neat. It's a good gimmick.

I guess but lego to me and many others is exactly what chimera isn't. Way too many specialized pieces and what not. Didn't they have bionicle for that? Now hero factory? Too many special pieces in my opinion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess but lego to me and many others is exactly what chimera isn't. Way too many specialized pieces and what not. Didn't they have bionicle for that? Now hero factory? Too many special pieces in my opinion.

:stare:

Did I fall into a time machine to the year 2000?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dude, pegleg Gorilla.

In my day, only Pirates got that poo poo. Lego's expanding their reach, yo.

Listen old man, this ain't your 1950's nothing-but-bricks Lego. That Gorilla, if you look at the parts list just linked above you, includes a lot of specialized parts BUT ALSO a lot of regular bricks and plates! Diversified, yanno what I'm sayin'?

xzzy posted:

:stare:

Did I fall into a time machine to the year 2000?
No, you fell into a time machine to the year 1960. 2000 was nothing but terrible specialized pieces which nearly caused the total collapse of Lego as a company. Until Bionicle and Star Wars saved it, that is.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Captain Invictus posted:

No, you fell into a time machine to the year 1960. 2000 was nothing but terrible specialized pieces which nearly caused the total collapse of Lego as a company. Until Bionicle and Star Wars saved it, that is.

I thought that was their focus on not-bricks products, like games and whatnot? I dunno. That period was in my dark ages, so I'd love to hear what caused the company to falter so.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
That was one factor, but at the same time the Lego sets coming out were absolutely awful. Look at this set. A smidge over 300 pieces for the princely sum of 80 dollars. And on top of that the designs are all terrible.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
The original snowspeeder was probably one of the best looking starwars sets of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If I want to buy a bunch of the new pink and purple bricks, which Friends sets should I buy?

(ie, mostly useful stuff to build with, less greebles and Friends accessories)