Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Math You posted:

Is this for 2014 or has there been one and just not in Canada? Now you are going to make me really happy and tell me there is a speed version.. Right?

Edit: Just read follow up replies. FUUUUUUUUUUU

Is a decent wagon too much to ask for? You can get a Subaru with horrid MPG(MPG is not the issue. It is the lack of performance to go along with it.), and no connectivity for music, or spend $50,000 on a BMW or Audi.
The complete lack of options makes the jetta wagon slightly attractive. No, wait.. I'd still rather eat rear end in a top hat.

It has been a good year for sedans and no wagons to show for it.

It's not like the new Mazda 6 wagon is a real barnstormer or anything. You're basically describing a previous gen Legacy GT wagon - decent looks, fun to drive with strong aftermarket, 250 hp with room for mods, optional stick - and unfortunately nobody bought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

It's not like the new Mazda 6 wagon is a real barnstormer or anything. You're basically describing a previous gen Legacy GT wagon - decent looks, fun to drive with strong aftermarket, 250 hp with room for mods, optional stick - and unfortunately nobody bought them.
Well, it is a variant of a new car sold in the United States that just happens to have the back end put together right, but of course Americans don't like those.

IMO Mazda has an excuse to not sell a 6 wagon in the States - wagons don't sell well, and Mazda is happy with its little niche here. Bigger companies either need a wagon or a good excuse (Ford has neither) but Mazda would lose too much money.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Diesel cars cost more to make due to emissions equipment and stronger engines. Diesel fuel is also more expensive per gallon than gas in the US. The only reason diesels are so popular in Europe is due to tax incentives and the nature of their oil imports/industry.

But the difference between the lowest gas and diesel options in the uk is 1500 gbp. You can get a 73.5 USMPG diesel golf for less than a mid range focus.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Powershift posted:

But the difference between the lowest gas and diesel options in the uk is 1500 gbp. You can get a 73.5 USMPG diesel golf for less than a mid range focus.
Are you sure those numbers work out? UK MPG basically does not compute with US MPG, lemme che:tviv:

Those numbers work out, yes that's actually seventy-three miles per red-blooded gun-totin pickup drivin Merican gallon. :psyduck:

the gently caress

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

Friar Zucchini posted:

Are you sure those numbers work out? UK MPG basically does not compute with US MPG, lemme che:tviv:

Those numbers work out, yes that's actually seventy-three miles per red-blooded gun-totin pickup drivin Merican gallon. :psyduck:

the gently caress

And it's range is 1500km (932 miles) :aaa:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It still won't sell because diesel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Russian Bear posted:

"Diseasel" :pseudo:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Friar Zucchini posted:

the gently caress

Except their test cycles are significantly different and are always way higher than the EPA system, so it's still not a great direct comparison. Especially since the EU cycle tends to overestimate efficiency for diesel engines, while the EPA cycle tends to disadvantage them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Russian Bear posted:

Or like Australia, it won't sell much because it costs $4k more, diesel costs more at the pump, and diesel is a pain because there's usually only one pump per station that dispenses diesel that's usually the poo poo pump. Also servicing costs much much more and there's reports of the modern diesel cars saying they are crap when used for short journeys (particulate filters blocking).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 27, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fo3 posted:

Also servicing costs much much more and there's reports of the modern diesel cars saying they are crap when used for short journeys (particulate filters blocking).

No car likes journeys that are too short to completely heat up the engine (oil temp, not coolant temp), it's just that diesels take much longer to fully warm up than gasoline cars do.

In my previous car, which was a diesel, I could drive for like 5km before the coolant temperature even began to rise, on a moderately warm day. In my current petrol car the coolant is warm by the time I reach the first intersection.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The EU test cycle is poo poo. The saddest part is that it's not even useful for comparing cars to each other as you can't just say "add +20% across the board and it'll be correct". For example, the Polo Bluemotion is supposed to be about 8% more frugal with diesel than the regular TDI Polo. In "real life", most people have the opposite experience, since the BM is built for the test in such a way that it for example has gearing that doesn't fit real driving as well as the TDI, making it harder to achive the specified fuel consumpition than it is in the TDI.

I'll quote myself from some time ago:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

And as for the EU cert fuel consumption process, it's because it simulates real life driving with (for example) blinding acceleration (0-70kph in 41 seconds) and then keeps it up with more real life driving (70-100kph in 35 sec). Yeah, that's real life driving for you.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Or like Australia, it won't sell much because it costs $4k more, diesel costs more at the pump, and diesel is a pain because there's usually only one pump per station that dispenses diesel that's usually the poo poo pump. Also servicing costs much much more and there's reports of the modern diesel cars saying they are crap when used for short journeys (particulate filters blocking).

And there's some cock leaving his dick extension idling at the only diesel pump in the joint while he takes his sweet time paying inside. And the usual "You know that's diesel, right?" question from gas station attendants and other drivers. But, God I miss the turbodiesel rattle and whine.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Diesel fuel is also more expensive per gallon than gas in the US.

This varies. When I first got my TDI, diesel was a little more expensive than 91 octane, then it dropped and hovered around the same price. Lately it's been much lower: this morning when I filled up diesel was 2 cents a gallon cheaper than 87.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ford just reintroduced the Lightning! Kind of.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/27/2014-ford-f-150-tremor-adds-some-sport-to-shake-things-up/#aol-comments

quote:

While Ford calls the Tremor a "performance truck," the new pickup doesn't play on the same level as the SVT Raptor does on dirt, or even the long-gone SVT Lightning did on pavement. Think of it as a parts bin sport truck that probably does a better job looking the part than acting it. The Tremor utilizes the same twin-turbo, 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 available across the F-150 lineup, producing 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque, but matches it with a 4.10 rear axle – the shortest final drive ratio you can get in an F-150 – for the strongest possible acceleration.

The Tremor does do a decent job looking the part. Available only in short-wheelbase, regular cab configuration with your choice of two- or four-wheel drive, it struts around wearing the F-150's FX Appearance Package, flat black accents, 20-inch black wheels, HID headlights and a special exterior graphics package. The Tremor is the only regular cab F-150 with a flow-through center console, which means it also gets a floor-mounted shifter and bucket seats that are covered in black leather with red piping. Some brushed metal accents and steering wheel with red stitching round out the interior upgrades.

A simple tune would probably put it nicely over 400hp too.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
It's making slightly more HP (5) than the pre-2001 Lighting was. I wonder how well the 4WD system can take hard launches. Hmmm...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

SouthLAnd posted:

Ford just reintroduced the Lightning!

Honestly, the Tremor looks like it's going for more of a first-gen Lightning vibe than the more famous 2nd-gen version.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Now that's a nice looking truck.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Pretty truck, bad name. When I hear 'tremor' I think either hand tremors or 90's movie with Kevin Bacon. However, if we clone Kevin Bacon and include him as the passenger in every Tremor sold, I would be OK with that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Devyl posted:

Pretty truck, bad name. When I hear 'tremor' I think either hand tremors or 90's movie with Kevin Bacon. However, if we clone Kevin Bacon and include him as the passenger in every Tremor sold, I would be OK with that.

When I hear "truck" and "tremors" I think of this:

That thing was pretty awesome.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Devyl posted:

You've basically just described the current ad campaign for E+E mobile (T-Mobile+Orange 4G) in the UK and let me tell you now, no, you definitely don't want that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Q_res posted:

Honestly, the Tremor looks like it's going for more of a first-gen Lightning vibe than the more famous 2nd-gen version.

Yeah, the stock motor and that it has straight sides instead of step sides makes me think of the first-gen.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Aside from the engine, it looks like a parts bin trim package. But who cares? It's an ecoboost short bed, regular cab f-150 with a 4.10. The thing is going to haul balls.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

Ford just reintroduced the Lightning! Kind of.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/27/2014-ford-f-150-tremor-adds-some-sport-to-shake-things-up/#aol-comments

A simple tune would probably put it nicely over 400hp too.

Dreams do come true :D

Up until now, you couldn't get the ecoboost reg cab without an 8 foot box, and there was no way to get a flow through console in the reg cab. The 4x4 option is a huge bonus too. As long as it's not something stupid like 50 grand, this will hopefully be my next truck. It should be around 30 in 2wd, 34 in 4x4 at the most, but we'll see. Still this is so so awesome.

:fap:

I'm betting in stock 2wd trim, bone stock it'll run 5.5 to 60 and a 14 second quarter mile, then there's always the option to chip it to 435hp.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What is the definition of flow through? I'm thinking HVAC system but I've never heard that term relating to dashes before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Great idea, stupid name. What the hell is wrong with bringing back the Lightning name? As a former Lightning owner I take offense.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

What is the definition of flow through? I'm thinking HVAC system but I've never heard that term relating to dashes before.

He means bucket seats with center-based shifter. In other models, you get a bench seat with a column shifter.

And a $50,000 price tag would be ridiculous. That's Raptor territory.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Great idea, stupid name. What the hell is wrong with bringing back the Lightning name? As a former Lightning owner I take offense.

Clearly they're waiting to make an even more awesome F150 and name it the Lightning. This is just a teaser.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Clearly they're waiting to make an even more awesome F150 and name it the Lightning. This is just a teaser.

They fuckin' better. They brought back the SHO, the Lightning deserves the same treatment.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Rhyno posted:

They fuckin' better. They brought back the SHO, the Lightning deserves the same treatment.

Lower it, add proper suspension, keep the 4.10's and drop in the supercharged 5.8 out of the Cobra Mustang. Done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Devyl posted:

Lower it, add proper suspension, keep the 4.10's and drop in the supercharged 5.8 out of the Cobra Mustang. Done.

Works for me. Only offer it in 4 colors, two of which are black and make the huge side graphics stock, not an option.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rhyno posted:

Also Chevy fans will just call it the TryMore

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also Chevy fans will just call it the TryMore

Yeah but what does GM have to offer in a performance truck right now?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The Holden Ute SS-V :getin:

It takes on the 'Ring. I want it in the US so bad right now.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 28, 2013

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Devyl posted:

What's really amazing is it looks like an auto? Holden autos tend to be pretty terrible?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Devyl posted:

It's not a truck. It's a car with a short bed.

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

tobu posted:

What's really amazing is it looks like an auto? Holden autos tend to be pretty terrible?

He's either using a manual or kicking the firewall.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's a manual. He just shifts really fast. If the Ute interests you as much as it does me & my inner redneck, the first video in the series is worth a watch. Link

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lilleput posted:

He's either using a manual or kicking the firewall.

No, it's a auto. There's no clutch pedal and that's the centre console of the auto. He's using "manual" mode. He also taps back for fifth when in the manual it's up and across to the driver.

quote:

Holden autos tend to be pretty terrible?

Eh, not really - not the 6 speed auto at least. They are good enough.

In a ute TBH I doubt a manual will be much quicker - those things are hairy enough to hustle at the best of times. Probably taking the edge off the Ute would make for a car that isnt quite as ready to blow your head off and one the driver can punt harder.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Cat Terrist posted:

Eh, not really - not the 6 speed auto at least. They are good enough.

In a ute TBH I doubt a manual will be much quicker - those things are hairy enough to hustle at the best of times. Probably taking the edge off the Ute would make for a car that isnt quite as ready to blow your head off and one the driver can punt harder.

Ahh, I've never used one of the six speeds. The last thing I drove was SS VZ with a four speed and I never got a chance to get used to when it kicks down and what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well yeah, those 4 speeds are loving awful. They barely made them any better from the bloody 94 Caprice I've got.